The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 30 November 2022, 11:31 PM   #31
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

My espresso machine and grinder were some of the best investments in my daily happiness I've ever made, particularly since I work from home. Purchased 2016. I get the draw of a super-auto machine, but once you have your technique down, using a separate grinder and semi-auto is pretty fast.

Ginder: Kafatek Conical
Espresso Machine: Londinium L1

My routine is to weigh out the whole beans for the shot, usually 17gm. This is the joy of a single dose grinder. RDT, grind, WDT, level, tamp. Stick the portafilter into the machine and pull down the spring lever. Count to 5 for preinfusion. Release the lever, then steam the milk while the shot is being "pulled" which takes around 25 seconds. Whole process is around 2-3 minutes. With a lever you need to wait a few minutes after pulling the shot to clean everything up. With a pump machine, you can clean up right away.

Agree with the sentiment that the grinder is at least as important as the espresso machine. You will go crazy with inconsistent grinds. I've found that knowing how to service your gear is important as well. The best gear is highly precise, and simple to disassemble and reassemble at home.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 11:44 PM   #32
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyedguy View Post
I have a Jura A1. Its about 800 USD. It's a super automatic that makes coffee, and espresso. I recommend it highly. Swiss made, low maintenance, great creama.
A bean to cup machine cannot make real espresso, your 'crema' is not the same as actual crema. It's aerated vs C02 escaping finely ground coffee under 9 bars of pressure.

Nothing wrong with a bean to cup machine and convenient for most, but it's not genuine espresso, nor does it taste the same.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 11:45 PM   #33
SearChart
TechXpert

I went full manual, bought a La Pavoni lever espresso machine. Probably not what you're looking for but I'm very happy with it, they last for decades too.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 06:10 PM   #34
RichardBartlett
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk65 View Post
If you can swing it, and you want semi auto (not super auto), anything with the E61 grouphead is good. We went big and got a Rocket Cinquantotto. It's a beast and hopefully will outlive us. We justified the expense by eliminating Starbucks and coffee shops for daily routine. We still go periodically on social calls (with friends, etc)... but the daily coffee money was adding up and it was an easy decision. Have had it for two years now and it's been great.
I have the R58 before it became known as the R58 in Italian

bought second hand 8 years ago, off one of the most fastidious anal coffee drinking airline pilot ever who even though he was hardly ever home was upgrading.
it's a robust machine and needs to be with my get R done approach to coffee making

in the UK I had a commercial grade Everpure ice maker carbon filter fitted which transformed the taste of the coffee.It also protects the machine so it's a win win
I really recommend one to any coffee enthusiast
but sadly here in Tenerife the water is so dreadful nothing seems to have the same effect on cleaning out the shite they put the water.

anyhoo great machine
drink in good health
RichardBartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2023, 11:09 PM   #35
Qwe7410
"TRF" Member

My Bezzera BZ10 has been with me for more than a decade.

Recently, I overhauled the machine, and it's back like new.
The pressure sensor, safety valve and relief valve are as a single assembly.
Replacing one part was enough to make the machine's safety all sound again.

The grouphead could be dismantled and washed under the tap.
With a good metal polish, its lustre and performance are almost like new.

The only part that took more time was servicing the wands, which was not too bad to require attention.

There's one component which should be replaced regularly, which is the power relay, I replace it once every 5 to 7 years.

They definitely lasted better than my Rolex which fell apart like Lego :(
Qwe7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2023, 11:03 AM   #36
Pop Art Suzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust
I have an Expobar that I purchased back in 2008 that was refurbished. Even though I paid $1200 for it back then, it's still going strong and makes an excellent cappuccino.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg espresso machine.jpg (153.3 KB, 27 views)