The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 November 2022, 07:07 AM   #1
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
What works for an osteoarthritic knee?

I just passed the big 6-5 and I am generally falling apart. Fortunately, nothing life threatening. I have been diagnosed by an orthopedist. He said that I could try celebrex or a cortisone shot.

I tried celebrex because it helped me with a back problem twenty years ago. However, it has not helped my knee at all in twelve days. I switched to three Advils a few times a day, a hot shower, a heating pad. Nuthin’. Finding it tough to walk around and to sleep.

Going back to doctor for cortisone shot on Tuesday. Have read about voltaren, avocado-soybean pills. Ice packs? I don’t have swelling. Want to lose weight.

I know you guys are mostly not doctors, but may have had the experience.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2022, 07:34 AM   #2
DJ TT 2002
2024 Pledge Member

Firstly, be cautious with NSAID analgesics as they can cause kidney damage if accidentally overused. Celebrex and Advil are in that category.
Just be safe.

Secondly, persistent pain is my “ line in the sand “ as to when I will recommend a possible surgical intervention to anybody

I’m in the business but not the orthopedic end of the business.

This is a friendly comment, not professional advice
DJ TT 2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2022, 08:08 AM   #3
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
I’m 62 and for me it was bone on bone and it required a partial knee replacement. That was mid August and ‘I’ve been walking an average of 5 miles a day now for at least 2 1/2 months. It’ll never be like my real knee but it’s a whole lot better than bone on bone.

At some point in the future the other knee may need a partial replacement as well. Both sides the meniscus was narrow on the inside. The one that I had replaced had an issue with a torn meniscus and floating cartilage so it was scoped a years back.

Here’s wishing you find a path that works for you.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2022, 08:19 AM   #4
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ TT 2002 View Post
Firstly, be cautious with NSAID analgesics as they can cause kidney damage if accidentally overused. Celebrex and Advil are in that category.
Just be safe.

Secondly, persistent pain is my “ line in the sand “ as to when I will recommend a possible surgical intervention to anybody

I’m in the business but not the orthopedic end of the business.

This is a friendly comment, not professional advice
Also in “the business”, not ortho. Agree to be careful with NSAIDs - talk to your doctor to make sure you can take them safely.

Single best non surgical intervention for knee OA is weight loss. Evidence really is the strongest for this, ant least for non-surgical options. So take this one seriously. Everything else is secondary to that, but includes physio, offloading shoes, knee braces etc. Next up are intra articular injections of steroids or hyaluronic acid - evidence is mixed on this - again, talk to your doctor.

Interestingly, pain is not cleanly associated with radiographic severity. So to me at least pain ≠ necessity for surgery. Also note that surgery outcomes will be far better if you are someone prepared to go the distance with extensive prehab and fully commit to rehab - a lower BMI helps here too!

So, talk to your doctor. Personally would exhaust non surgical solutions first.

Not medical advice, just general thoughts.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2022, 08:29 AM   #5
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I am having a full knee replacement this Saturday, I'll let you know what it is like.

I have tried to keep my knees moving and mobile but they hurt all the time now, when I wake up in the middle of the night and need the loo, goodness me, that's when they hurt the most.

I will go on the waiting list for my other knee after I have had this one done, hopefully in about 6 months.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2022, 08:45 AM   #6
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I am having a full knee replacement this Saturday, I'll let you know what it is like.

I have tried to keep my knees moving and mobile but they hurt all the time now, when I wake up in the middle of the night and need the loo, goodness me, that's when they hurt the most.

I will go on the waiting list for my other knee after I have had this one done, hopefully in about 6 months.
Good luck, and what ever you do, do those exercises.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2022, 08:46 AM   #7
DJ TT 2002
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
Also in “the business”, not ortho. Agree to be careful with NSAIDs - talk to your doctor to make sure you can take them safely.

Single best non surgical intervention for knee OA is weight loss. Evidence really is the strongest for this, ant least for non-surgical options. So take this one seriously. Everything else is secondary to that, but includes physio, offloading shoes, knee braces etc. Next up are intra articular injections of steroids or hyaluronic acid - evidence is mixed on this - again, talk to your doctor.

Interestingly, pain is not cleanly associated with radiographic severity. So to me at least pain ≠ necessity for surgery. Also note that surgery outcomes will be far better if you are someone prepared to go the distance with extensive prehab and fully commit to rehab - a lower BMI helps here too!

Well said!
Old 25 November 2022, 08:57 AM   #8
DJ TT 2002
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I wish you the very best regarding your upcoming procedure.
Get through everything safely and smoothly !!
Old 25 November 2022, 09:38 AM   #9
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Best wishes!

Quote:

For a full recovery!
Old 25 November 2022, 09:48 AM   #10
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
also in “the business”, not ortho. Agree to be careful with nsaids - talk to your doctor to make sure you can take them safely.

Single best non surgical intervention for knee oa is weight loss. Evidence really is the strongest for this, ant least for non-surgical options. So take this one seriously. Everything else is secondary to that, but includes physio, offloading shoes, knee braces etc. Next up are intra articular injections of steroids or hyaluronic acid - evidence is mixed on this - again, talk to your doctor.

Interestingly, pain is not cleanly associated with radiographic severity. So to me at least pain ≠ necessity for surgery. Also note that surgery outcomes will be far better if you are someone prepared to go the distance with extensive prehab and fully commit to rehab - a lower bmi helps here too!

+1.
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2022, 09:49 AM   #11
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Good luck, Dave, hope it goes well for you.
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2022, 01:59 PM   #12
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
Good luck, Dave, hope it goes well for you.
X2 Dave. You sure have been keeping the docs busy lately. Hopefully 2023 will be a year of keeping the cabana girls busy!

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2022, 02:03 PM   #13
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
I just passed the big 6-5 and I am generally falling apart. Fortunately, nothing life threatening. I have been diagnosed by an orthopedist. He said that I could try celebrex or a cortisone shot.

I tried celebrex because it helped me with a back problem twenty years ago. However, it has not helped my knee at all in twelve days. I switched to three Advils a few times a day, a hot shower, a heating pad. Nuthin’. Finding it tough to walk around and to sleep.

Going back to doctor for cortisone shot on Tuesday. Have read about voltaren, avocado-soybean pills. Ice packs? I don’t have swelling. Want to lose weight.

I know you guys are mostly not doctors, but may have had the experience.
Can you ride a spin bike? That helps me keep my leg strength equal front to back which helps minimize my knee pain. Additional foam rolling techniques help as well.

Cortisone injections just mask the pain for a few days or weeks. Hyaluronic acid injections may help for weeks to months as well.

Good luck with your course of treatment.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2022, 04:15 PM   #14
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

I use 1000MG of CBD cream on my recently total knee replacements. It’s phenomenal how it takes any pain away for 4-6 hours - after a bike ride, before and after golf and swimming etc. much better than ibuprofen, advil or Tylenol

Old 25 November 2022, 05:07 PM   #15
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Available online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
I use 1000MG of CBD cream on my recently total knee replacements. It’s phenomenal how it takes any pain away for 4-6 hours - after a bike ride, before and after golf and swimming etc. much better than ibuprofen, advil or Tylenol

Do you know if it is available in the US?
Old 25 November 2022, 05:17 PM   #16
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
fry frame builder from iherb
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2022, 07:04 PM   #17
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Do you know if it is available in the US?

Yes,
You can order CBD or go to the store. 3.4 oz has lasted me about 8 months. Tomorrow the store near me has 30% off for Black Friday -

It usually cost between $50-60US
Only shipped within the US. Use the website below for questions, I’ve used them before, very happy it worked great

https://naternal.com

They could answer any questions for you, comes in 500mg,1000mg and up to 2000mg of CBD

CBD Topical cream is what you will need

Good luck
Old 25 November 2022, 07:23 PM   #18
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Can you ride a spin bike? That helps me keep my leg strength equal front to back which helps minimize my knee pain. Additional foam rolling techniques help as well.

Cortisone injections just mask the pain for a few days or weeks. Hyaluronic acid injections may help for weeks to months as well.

Good luck with your course of treatment.
This is great advice, I found that walking just aggravated my knees, it was just adding heavy weight to an already injured knee. I have a indoor bike and rower that I have been using for low impact training on my knees to keep them mobile.

DAVE

Old 25 November 2022, 08:11 PM   #19
Shadow Play
"TRF" Member

As I stated in a previous post, I had a full hip replacement almost 4 weeks ago. I’ve had a few restless nights and worry about infection but I seem to be getting much better now.

With regards to waking up during the night I too suffered from that. In addition to my hip issue, I had a meniscus cartilage bucket tear on my right knee and had to have surgery to partially remove it. That surgery was over 10 years ago and I often wonder if this led to my hip issue. The resultant bone on bone in my knee caused me many sleepless nights. I was waking up halfway through the night, often in extreme pain..

Three things that helped improved my sleep are:

1) A JML pillow that you place between your legs when sleeping.
2) Prescribed Amitriptyline, a small dose taken at night.
3) Biocurcumax twice daily. This is an over the counter tablet.

Point 3 above in particular helps relieve the stiff feeling in the knees.
Shadow Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2022, 08:23 PM   #20
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:

Hope everything goes well for you Dave.
Old 25 November 2022, 10:31 PM   #21
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Following this thread. My SO was just told 2 days ago that she needs a knee replacement. She has bone on bone, a lot of swelling and pain. Has had it drained a few times already.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2022, 01:36 AM   #22
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Good luck on your knee replacement Dave.
Old 26 November 2022, 01:59 AM   #23
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Thank you very much for your kind wishes fellas.
Old 26 November 2022, 03:19 AM   #24
mrricks
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I had both knees replaced at the same time.
One is perfect, the other has a hyper extension problem, despite a revision surgery.
Wife won’t let me get another revision as I just got out of hospital/rehab center after seven weeks for a C3-C6 fusion that involved 2 infections, bone and incision, debris of infected incision, and accidental overdose of opiates that sent me to ER for Narcan treatment. (BP 77/44, heart rate 10 beats a minute, Narcan is a miracle). Also had a PICC line put in to receive antibiotics twice a day, two hours per session for six weeks. Wife had to handle the intravenous procedure which MUST be sterile.
Are you seeing why wife will leave me if I have another surgery.
I have a total shoulder replacement that is perfect.
In the end it’s a gamble.
Old 26 November 2022, 05:12 AM   #25
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

You ducked a bullet, my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrricks View Post
I had both knees replaced at the same time.
One is perfect, the other has a hyper extension problem, despite a revision surgery.
Wife won’t let me get another revision as I just got out of hospital/rehab center after seven weeks for a C3-C6 fusion that involved 2 infections, bone and incision, debris of infected incision, and accidental overdose of opiates that sent me to ER for Narcan treatment. (BP 77/44, heart rate 10 beats a minute, Narcan is a miracle). Also had a PICC line put in to receive antibiotics twice a day, two hours per session for six weeks. Wife had to handle the intravenous procedure which MUST be sterile.
Are you seeing why wife will leave me if I have another surgery.
I have a total shoulder replacement that is perfect.
In the end it’s a gamble.
I would take a rest from voluntary medical procedures.
Old 26 November 2022, 05:16 AM   #26
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Now taking oral Voltaren while wearing a Salonpas. In pain 24/7. Cortisone shot in my future. Scheduled to see my orthopod on Tuesday.
Old 26 November 2022, 06:30 AM   #27
JTL31
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

As a former long distance runner of 25 yrs. and given genetics I developed OA. Professional orthotics helped immensely as they also discovered I also had a slight leg length discrepancy. I’ve had cortisone shots with good luck. I also used Voltaren for a brief time. An orthopedic knee brace worked wonders when I was swelling and felt knee was unstable.

As a side note, it is said losing 1 pound of body weight = 4 pounds of pressure off the knees. I can attest to that as I’ve maintained a 30# loss for 1 yr. and am working on losing 10 more.

Wishing you the best!
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2022, 10:26 AM   #28
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post

Can you eat that?
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2022, 10:54 AM   #29
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
39 here and have OA in my left elbow due to breaking it 3 times when I was kid. I have 95% range of motion and quite a bit of discomfort. I still work out and train BJJ and rub voltaren on my elbow when it’s bad. Unfortunately elbow replacements are not the same as hip or knwee….so I’m SOL .
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2022, 11:01 AM   #30
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Good luck to all my TRF elders.. I am very lucky in this regard so nothing to offer but my best wishes
THC is offline   Reply With Quote