The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 November 2022, 06:27 AM   #1
tictoc1
"TRF" Member

When do you plan on passing down a/your watch?

I know many of us here have dreams of passing down a watch to someone, a son, daughter, son/daughter in law etc. So Im curious as to how many here have a date in mind? Age? High School graduation, College Graduation ? wedding?
tictoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 06:31 AM   #2
tifosi
"TRF" Member

If I have any watches left at the time of my passing, that's when my nieces and nephews will get their hands on them.

The only caveat is if one of them expresses interest in watches and has a serious affinity for one of mine. Then I could see gifting one for a certain occasion.
Old 29 November 2022, 06:38 AM   #3
Gaff65
"TRF" Member

My son will get my 1680 (left to me by my Dad) and my 16233 when I pass, which hopefully won't be for a looooong time. And if I ever get the call for a Batgirl, he'll get that as well.
Gaff65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 06:43 AM   #4
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
I don’t really know they’re mine! Haha.

Maybe slowly in retirement and I’m festering a slow death I’ll give one or two away - maybe sell some to help my daughter buy a house who knows.

I have on earmarked for my little girl who’s 5 atm, it was my first Rolex, bought when I was 18 with my hard earned money which I wore soley for the best part of ten years. I wore it meeting her mum for the first time, when she was born etc etc I had it serviced and during that time I had bought submariner in its replacement whilst waiting for the service to be done, I realised 36 was now too small for me. I put it away for keepsake for her, when she’s 18 or when I think she is responsible enough.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 06:44 AM   #5
Driver8
"TRF" Member

When they're peeled off my cold dead wrist!
Old 29 November 2022, 06:46 AM   #6
wyguy
"TRF" Member

pride and joy

I bought my Seiko 7A28-7080 Titanium analog/quartz chronograph (only made 1 year - 1983) during my senior year of HS with my entire (meager) savings. Back then it was a bunch of money for a teenager who was mowing yards, cleaning gutters and hauling trash.

I gave it to my son the day he graduated from HS. It is his pride and joy. Mine too.
wyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 07:00 AM   #7
MINOLI
"TRF" Member

I picked up a BLRO shortly after my son was born. That will go to him likely on his wedding day (he's only 1.5 years old), unless he'd rather have my SD43.
MINOLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 07:10 AM   #8
njsteve
"TRF" Member

My Dad, who recently turned 90, just gifted his 1987 GMT 16750 to my son (his grandson) as a college graduation gift. I bought Dad that watch for Father's day in 1987 along with a second one to celebrate my own college graduation at the time. The both of us have been wearing those two watched all these years.

Hopefully when I'm 90 I can give my Grandchild my GMT and keep the generation skipping tradition alive.

Sadly, one of the reasons my Dad decided to finally pass the watch down was because of the increasing number of caretakers coming into his home at his age. He remembered how his mother's engagement and wedding rings were stolen by a similar "visitor" when she was his age. We didn't learn about it until it was way too late to do anything about it or call the cops.
njsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 07:20 AM   #9
aayates
"TRF" Member

I gave my 1980 air king to my youngest son. He liked the thought but he's not a watch guy so never wears it. He still has it though, and I'm glad I gave it to him.
aayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 07:22 AM   #10
MrBourne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tictoc1 View Post
I know many of us here have dreams of passing down a watch to someone, a son, daughter, son/daughter in law etc. So Im curious as to how many here have a date in mind? Age? High School graduation, College Graduation ? wedding?
High school graduation for Tudor Black Bay. Maybe university graduation for Speedmaster. Opens ups space for additional watches!
MrBourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 07:25 AM   #11
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
I purchased my two-tone DateJust in 1983 when I graduated from undergraduate. I was 25 years old. Several years ago my son turned 25 and I gifted the watch to him. I wore that watch almost every day for 36+ years. At first it was like "do you want to wear it" wanting to make sure he would wear it and take care of it. It is his daily driver and it is uncommon he is not wearing it. The timing was good as I will looking for something new/different and he definitely appreciates it. Good luck!
vesnyder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 07:26 AM   #12
medcoastsol
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN, 126234
nevaaaaaaa! hahaha

JK
medcoastsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 07:29 AM   #13
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Before you pass it down, please wear the snot out of it so it has stories to tell.

If the recipient doesn’t value that then they probably weren’t worth the trouble.
Old 29 November 2022, 07:29 AM   #14
S7gpt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610ln YM37 wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
When they're peeled off my cold dead wrist!
this
S7gpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 07:32 AM   #15
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by tictoc1 View Post
Sometime between now and my expiration date...
Old 29 November 2022, 07:43 AM   #16
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Depends. Leaves a couple questions.

Who wants it?

Do I have one to replace it with?

Realistically, if I can stick around long enough it would be just before a large life milestone in so and so’s life.

If I’ve got some sort of expedited timeline for my demise I will probably offload it/them while I’m still around. Just makes estate issues easier imo.

I’ve also toyed with the idea of purchasing my BIL a Rolex so his son and daughters can grow up watching him wear it and get an appreciation for watches so I have someone who will appreciate mine when it’s time for them to move on or time for me to move on.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 07:46 AM   #17
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
I’m bringing all of them with me to Valhalla where I shall measure time eternal
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 07:46 AM   #18
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

It will be shortly after I die. I don't have an exact date yet. If it's important I'll have to get back to you.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 07:48 AM   #19
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Quote:
It will be shortly after I die. I don't have an exact date yet. If it's important I'll have to get back to you.
vesnyder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 07:59 AM   #20
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

I am not worried about my watches and leaving them to my heirs. I have put the equivalent amount of money (per watch avg value) in mutual funds for them. By the time they need that money it will take care of them for the rest of their lives (hopefully).

As I grow older I have started to rid myself of a lot, but not all, of my material possessions. Basically trimming it down to only what I actually enjoy. So, I doubt I will even have a collection by then.

I think it is cool that some of you want to do that. Personally if I was going to do it, I would do it at a time where I can see them enjoy it. Like if a son really loved a watch of mine, I would give it to him as soon as he was responsible enough to wear it.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 09:36 AM   #21
Beo3
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
My kids can fight at my wake over who gets which.

Actually, my sons will split mine and my daughter gets the wife's collection.
Beo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 09:42 AM   #22
saltyandwet
"TRF" Member

In my culture, when your son/daughter shows interest then that's the time to pass it down. There's no milestone, or achievement or special occasion that dictates it. One day, my son nonchalantly asked "hey, that watch looks cool, can I see it?", that's when the watch officially became his, so I just handed it over.
saltyandwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 09:48 AM   #23
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Along with and much more important to me than watches is my cycling passion. 25 years plus in, the majority of my close friends have been from teams I’ve been on and other related organizations. I have family but no kids of my own and none of my relatives(minus one nephew and his son)have much interest in watches.
Almost 20 years ago I started a tradition of giving young men and women from my hobby a Seiko when they graduate from high school. I have watched them for years grow up in front of my eyes and mature into fine young adults, and they all know of my watch passion as well. It’s a meaningful gift and it makes me very happy to see them years later still wearing those watches or others they bought for themselves since the seed was planted. So far I’ve given probably ten away, some new, others that they get to pick from my watch box. I actually gifted one this past week.
As far as my Rolex and other more valuable watches, I kind of have them earmarked for someone. Hoping it’s a long ways away but I would prefer to hand them over in person rather than from a lawyer. Another observation is just how silly we can become over an object. I’m not keeping score anymore on how many or how much I have.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 11:16 AM   #24
Land&sea
"TRF" Member

Have registered interest with my AD for a turquoise OP and a pink OP, one for each of my daughters in their respective favorite colors. They are 6 and 8 yo and I am thinking college graduation gifts so even with the current Rolex timelines I think I should be able to manage it!
Land&sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 11:32 AM   #25
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’ve thought about who might want them but so far, the kids haven’t shown any interest in mechanical watches.

I can think of a forum member or two that would probably be worthy of serious consideration
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 11:33 AM   #26
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I’ve thought about who might want them but so far, the kids haven’t shown any interest in mechanical watches.

I can think of a forum member or two that would probably be worthy of serious consideration

Old 29 November 2022, 11:37 AM   #27
Avs Fan
"TRF" Member

Have already done it twice. My daughter's appreciation of the watches is worth far more than the watches.
Avs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 12:05 PM   #28
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Already been done several times
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 12:08 PM   #29
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
When I die, 3 watches 3 boys..
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 12:54 PM   #30
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Haven’t really put an exact age to it, my daughters are 3 & 1 so we will see how it goes
denmanproject is online now   Reply With Quote