The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 July 2023, 05:50 AM   #1
RolexDan82
"TRF" Member

Rolex AD

Well, I picked the wrong time to want to start a Rolex collection as these last two years have been tough. I love the Air King and have been waiting since October on my authorized dealer’s wait list. I am not an established customer.

However, my wife and I recently went to Las Vegas and visited the AD inside of the Wynn. She showed my wife and I a bunch of watches, and my wife, who had not been into watches, fell in love with some of the two-tone date-just watches. We left our information and told our sales associate how long we were going to be in town.

Before we left, I got a text and was able to get a 41 mm everose gold date-just with chocolate dial for my wife. It is a beautiful watch, particularly for a woman, although I can see why a guy would love it too. Wasn’t the watch for me, but my wife was literally in love and it is beautiful.

The sales associate seemed to indicate that I would have a good shot at an Air King and we told her that we were coming back in September. I do not really understand all the ins and outs of allocations, do I have a shot at an Air King in a few months? I mean, the Air King is not a sought after watch the way a Daytona or GMT Master is, but from talking to some dealers, seems somewhat hard to come by.

If I happen to buy an Air King from this place, does that put me in a decent position for something more sought after in the future, like a GMT Master, without waiting years? She surprisingly made it seem that I could score a Sky Dweller, which I do like, in the white gold with oystersteel band, but that to me seems like a somewhat hard watch to get. Interested in the thoughts of more experienced Rolex owners.
RolexDan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 06:56 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Sales staff generally have to rotate through their individual "lists" when a new shipment arrives.

There is no allocation except what Rolex is able to provide to an AD against their wish-lists.

Your odds are as good as anybody else's, depending on where you are in the queue when an Air King comes in.

Two things in your favor. You have demonstrated that you are not a tire-kicker, and you are helping the sales associate reach a "top-seller" goal.
Old 12 July 2023, 11:40 AM   #3
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
You will definitely have a better shot now since you purchased the DJ. Best of luck
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 11:46 AM   #4
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Luck of the day in Vegas. They obviously have a big tourist element and the "waiting period" often extends beyond people's short visits. They make a big deal about "I will only put you on my list if you are willing to fly back immediately if I call you." I think if you answer very strong to the affirmative on that they will take you seriously. I have gotten a few calls from Vegas ADs after I was already home but they were for watches I already had. Your DJ purchase history will help too.
CHRONOLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 11:49 AM   #5
Jawnz
"TRF" Member

They are good about calling and having clients fly out to pick up. I did a quick flight, picked up the Rolex and flew right back. Was 5-6 hours each way but was worth it for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jawnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 12:34 PM   #6
Nana7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
You definitely have a decent shot at the Air King and moving on up after. Vegas ADs tend to be more open to dealing with non-local clients primarily for 2 reasons:

-big tourist hub with a lot of people visiting for vacation or conventions
-the transient nature of people living in Vegas and them usually moving out of the city within 5 years

The reason for #2 is because Vegas' economy is mainly based on tourism and hospitality. There's not many jobs outside of those areas so people moving out of state where there are more job opportunities is fairly common.
Nana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 01:15 PM   #7
ingoodtime
"TRF" Member

Very nice. My jeweler wears a Rose TT DJ Choc diamond dial 41mm. I bought a TT DJII 41mm with diamond ivory dial. These are darn nice watches.I know your wife will enjoy hers. Good luck with yluir next purchase.

Lee
ingoodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 05:26 PM   #8
Steve Epps
"TRF" Member

I like it when the customer works for the Rolex sales associate..honest !
Steve Epps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 11:38 PM   #9
Snowballs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
Great idea to select the Air King; nice timepiece!
Old 13 July 2023, 12:11 AM   #10
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana7 View Post
You definitely have a decent shot at the Air King and moving on up after. Vegas ADs tend to be more open to dealing with non-local clients primarily for 2 reasons:

-big tourist hub with a lot of people visiting for vacation or conventions
-the transient nature of people living in Vegas and them usually moving out of the city within 5 years

The reason for #2 is because Vegas' economy is mainly based on tourism and hospitality. There's not many jobs outside of those areas so people moving out of state where there are more job opportunities is fairly common.
I would add reason 1b: More than any other tourist/convention destination, you have people coming through who happen upon cash they didn't have when they arrived, and many to spend it before they go home, too. That's a great market segment for watch retailers, and I would assume Vegas ADs want to take full advantage.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2023, 12:55 AM   #11
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Can we see a wrist shot of your wife’s watch? I am inter3sted to se3 the 41 mm on her….

Kat

KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2023, 03:54 AM   #12
Nana7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
I would add reason 1b: More than any other tourist/convention destination, you have people coming through who happen upon cash they didn't have when they arrived, and many to spend it before they go home, too. That's a great market segment for watch retailers, and I would assume Vegas ADs want to take full advantage.
Excellent point. Vegas ADs and other luxury brands (Dior, Chanel, etc.) are definitely aware and take full advantage of this. Hence why all those stores, including the Rolex ADs, are in the high end resorts (Wynn, Aria, etc.) where all the high rollers congregate.
Nana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2023, 08:04 AM   #13
RolexDan82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Can we see a wrist shot of your wife’s watch? I am inter3sted to se3 the 41 mm on her….

Kat

My wife was blown away by the Everose in person. She also liked the full size men’s watch. This us my first time uploading a picture, hopefully it works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2827.jpeg (21.8 KB, 249 views)
RolexDan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2023, 08:42 AM   #14
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Wow! That looks really nice, on her. I wear a lot of full size men’s watches, as well, which is why I wanted to see it.

Kat

KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote