The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 6 November 2020, 04:13 AM   #1
iwenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smorgasbord
To those with the new 321...

Hey folks! Hope everyone is doing well.

I have a question for you all, especially for those who've received their new 321s (congratulations btw!). I've owned a Speedy Pro hesalite for a few years now and enjoy the watch very much. Seeing delivery of the new 321s has got me thinking about whether or not I'd eventually like to add one to my lineup (the answer is "yes" but you know what I mean). My wife asked the other day if I would like to sell my Speedy Pro to put toward the 321.

Now I'm usually in the camp of preferring to add pieces, and I can't say I've sold a piece before - I'm far too sentimental of a creature. What I've been hoping you all could comment on is: if you had to choose, do you think the 321 could be your one-and-only Speedmaster?
Old 6 November 2020, 06:10 AM   #2
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwenger View Post
Hey folks! Hope everyone is doing well.

I have a question for you all, especially for those who've received their new 321s (congratulations btw!). I've owned a Speedy Pro hesalite for a few years now and enjoy the watch very much. Seeing delivery of the new 321s has got me thinking about whether or not I'd eventually like to add one to my lineup (the answer is "yes" but you know what I mean). My wife asked the other day if I would like to sell my Speedy Pro to put toward the 321.

Now I'm usually in the camp of preferring to add pieces, and I can't say I've sold a piece before - I'm far too sentimental of a creature. What I've been hoping you all could comment on is: if you had to choose, do you think the 321 could be your one-and-only Speedmaster?
So there are really 2 issues. First, getting a 321. Omega is supposedly making only 2k pieces per year globally. From my experience at the local OB, the waitlist is determined based on spend. I’ve bought one watch (Snoopy 2) and was told I could not get on the waitlist. YMMV. Second, you’re not going to get full value for your hesalite so not sure selling is the best option. I think you should keep your hesalite. It’s a great watch and I’m not sure you’d want to daily your 321. Again, it will depend on own watch collecting philosophy.

Good luck.
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2020, 06:17 AM   #3
iwenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phooi View Post
I think you should keep your hesalite. It’s a great watch and I’m not sure you’d want to daily your 321. Again, it will depend on own watch collecting philosophy.
Totally agree, I don't plan on selling the hesalite - and if spend is the qualifier I probably don't make the cut for a 321. But yeah, whether or not a 321 could be a daily was really what I was getting at. Thanks for the input!
Old 6 November 2020, 12:23 PM   #4
Kniazukay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwenger View Post
if you had to choose, do you think the 321 could be your one-and-only Speedmaster?
Short answer, Yes, it definitely could be.
While I don't "own" the 321 as of yet, I am on the list and was invited to see and handle one today at the boutique near me. I have a few other speedy's in the collection as well. And after handling and seeing the 321 in real life, I don't see why this couldn't be your one and only. Afterall, for the speedmaster moonwatch enthusiast, the 321 is arguably THE speedmaster to have! What caught me off guard however, is it was a bit lighter in weight than I had expected. I guess seeing it with a metal bracelet I assumed heavy-ish but the bracelet is actually very thin even though it's solid. It's got all the features and reasons that lean towards being the perfect one an only speedy. You've got the grail movement, the vintage aesthetic, modern materials and quality, it might be the ultimate one and only speedy of all time... as long as you aren't too hung up on price or ocd about scratches. There's so much polishing on this watch you might get a hairline scratch just looking at it lol It's a beaut though!
Kniazukay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2020, 02:06 PM   #5
amanbra
"TRF" Member

what I can say is the 321 can be your one and only speedy, for me at the moment only haven't had it for a week, it's too special to be my one and only and I'd want to keep my beater speedy around for beater duties.

I've written it in my thread but will say it again, in the metal there is something different about this speedy vs the normal. It's like the standard speedy is in 1080p whilst the 321 is rendered in 4k detail.
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2020, 04:45 PM   #6
whiteibex
"TRF" Member

Having had mine for a week as well, I echo the comments above. I've been in the search for a "special" speedmaster for years, considering various options like buying a LE e.g. Speedy Tuesday(s), or going vintage, then restricting my search to black dials as to me this is what defines this watch. Therefore this modern 321 is to me the ultimate speedmaster, perfect size, legendary movement, outstanding finish. I don't see it as a modern re-edition of a heritage model (like the seamaster 300 MC which is nice but only inspired by its original). To me this "is" an Ed white, the only thing that is modern being the manufacturing.

Having said that, I don't see why this could not be your one-an-only speedmaster.

Now you have to consider availability ... because given that the so-called lucky VIPs are only being delivered now, this means that if you only consider putting your name on the list now, it could mean years of waiting. No to mention the "intimate" production rate (much less than say a daytona) and the pandemic that slows down both logistics and delivering as most flagship OBs are going in lockdown. This will also delay the availability on the second-hand market. One last thing, there will be much less that the announced 2000 per year, as this number is a "max" (which means they could do much less, in particular this year with Covid), and this is for the 321 Calibre itself (shared with Platinum versions, and most certainly other LEs in the next coming years). In other words, this is not an LE, this is "we'll try to manufacture a few but you can't have it".

There it is on an alligator strap:

whiteibex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2020, 01:23 AM   #7
wlchuccc
"TRF" Member

I cant agree more with the comments above. I have many speedy in my collections, and this one stands out in the crowd because of its size, dial, bracelet etc. I love to wear it every day and enjoy winding it every morning.
So if money is not a concern, this could also be your only speedy. However, you will just like this more if you already have some speedy. Hope this helps!
wlchuccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2020, 02:10 AM   #8
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteibex View Post

I really like this photo, I think it makes the watch look classic and classy.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2020, 08:56 AM   #9
iwenger
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your feedback folks. I've got some thinking to do, but you guys sure make it hard to not want one! Enjoy them
Old 7 November 2020, 06:37 PM   #10
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
It for sure could be a one and only. I would like to try one on however. The straight lug speedies wear quite different (to me) than the lyre lugged ones. I think they are slightly longer lug to lug which always bugs me after a while.

One thing I will say being an owner of an Apollo 11 is that the bracelet is fantastic and once you have a step dial you will never want a normal one. It’s a Thing of beauty which is so interesting to look at and gives the whole thing more dimension.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2020, 07:53 AM   #11
S2000_driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
It for sure could be a one and only. I would like to try one on however. The straight lug speedies wear quite different (to me) than the lyre lugged ones. I think they are slightly longer lug to lug which always bugs me after a while.

One thing I will say being an owner of an Apollo 11 is that the bracelet is fantastic and once you have a step dial you will never want a normal one. It’s a Thing of beauty which is so interesting to look at and gives the whole thing more dimension.
You are right about the longer straight lugs. Omega did a very good job with the end links on this model. The bracelet design works even better on this one than the Apollo 11 50th. I believe the reason is that the watch itself is lighter and a tiny bit thinner, so the weight distribution is better. It is more balanced on the wrist compared to the Apollo 11.

I am curious to see how various strap designs work with the long lugs. The lug holes are placed close to the tips of the lugs and I personally am not a fan of massive gaps between the strap and the watch head.
S2000_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 01:06 AM   #12
Mifune
Banned

get the 321.... it's what you want, and that is perfectly understandable.

it's not difficult to find... it's only difficult to find at MSRP.

by the way... Moonshine is the ultimate.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 06:07 AM   #13
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Having had mine for a week as well, I echo the comments above. I've been in the search for a "special" speedmaster for years, considering various options like buying a LE e.g. Speedy Tuesday(s), or going vintage, then restricting my search to black dials as to me this is what defines this watch. Therefore this modern 321 is to me the ultimate speedmaster, perfect size, legendary movement, outstanding finish. I don't see it as a modern re-edition of a heritage model (like the seamaster 300 MC which is nice but only inspired by its original). To me this "is" an Ed white, the only thing that is modern being the manufacturing.

Having said that, I don't see why this could not be your one-an-only speedmaster.

Now you have to consider availability ... because given that the so-called lucky VIPs are only being delivered now, this means that if you only consider putting your name on the list now, it could mean years of waiting. No to mention the "intimate" production rate (much less than say a daytona) and the pandemic that slows down both logistics and delivering as most flagship OBs are going in lockdown. This will also delay the availability on the second-hand market. One last thing, there will be much less that the announced 2000 per year, as this number is a "max" (which means they could do much less, in particular this year with Covid), and this is for the 321 Calibre itself (shared with Platinum versions, and most certainly other LEs in the next coming years). In other words, this is not an LE, this is "we'll try to manufacture a few but you can't have it".

Looks great on the alligator. Why did you take it off the bracelet?
Old 9 November 2020, 06:26 AM   #14
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
get the 321.... it's what you want, and that is perfectly understandable.

it's not difficult to find... it's only difficult to find at MSRP.

by the way... Moonshine is the ultimate.
Are we talking about the same 321 that Omega has barely shipped?
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 06:32 AM   #15
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Are we talking about the same 321 that's Omega has barely shipped?
Not loads of them, but There are 6 on chrono, at least 4 have it as they have photos. It’s starting to get out there a bit. Ask Prices between Ł15.5k (reserved) and Ł17k (unsold). All barring one in the Uae are Europe sellers.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 07:33 AM   #16
whiteibex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Looks great on the alligator. Why did you take it off the bracelet?
I usually do leather strap in winter and either nato or bracelet in summer. I see quite a few here are excited by seeing it on a strap, so I might just take photos on other straps as well, e.g. brown vintage calf.

I'd be curious to see what happens on chrono24, because Omega is extremely cautious not to feed flippers for this model - this is not their ethos for a watch with such an intimate production volume.
Old 9 November 2020, 08:13 AM   #17
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I usually do leather strap in winter and either nato or bracelet in summer. I see quite a few here are excited by seeing it on a strap, so I might just take photos on other straps as well, e.g. brown vintage calf.

I'd be curious to see what happens on chrono24, because Omega is extremely cautious not to feed flippers for this model - this is not their ethos for a watch with such an intimate production volume.
I would love to see this watch on other straps. It’s surprising to see this watch being flipped. I do understand sometimes people who have the means buying on impulse. It’s a shame for those who really want one but can’t because of those people.
Old 9 November 2020, 05:08 PM   #18
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I would love to see this watch on other straps. It’s surprising to see this watch being flipped. I do understand sometimes people who have the means buying on impulse. It’s a shame for those who really want one but can’t because of those people.

Exactly the same situation with almost every sports Rolex. It’s super annoying but it is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 November 2020, 09:04 AM   #19
Thanos
"TRF" Member

These are 2 different watches.

The speedy Pro Hesalite is 42mm

The 321 is 39.7mm

Not sure why one would 'replace' the other. Apples to Oranges.
Thanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 09:41 AM   #20
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
These are 2 different watches.

The speedy Pro Hesalite is 42mm

The 321 is 39.7mm

Not sure why one would 'replace' the other. Apples to Oranges.
No it's pink lady apple vs delicious apples. 100% substitute of each other just a slightly different flavour. The dial and bezel sizes are identical but with a different case profile.
Old 10 November 2020, 10:45 AM   #21
Thanos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanbra View Post
No it's pink lady apple vs delicious apples. 100% substitute of each other just a slightly different flavour. The dial and bezel sizes are identical but with a different case profile.
Its a different watch

The implication is that its somehow the same but with a different movement. To each their own but lets not blur the lines.
Old 10 November 2020, 11:40 AM   #22
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Its a different watch

The implication is that its somehow the same but with a different movement. To each their own but lets not blur the lines.

Different watch would be comparing a deville to a speedy. These two are insanely similar. Don’t know what you’re on about.

Old 10 November 2020, 11:51 AM   #23
Thanos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Different watch would be comparing a deville to a speedy. These two are insanely similar. Don’t know what you’re on about.

Sure their similar but complete different size

One is 42mm the other less than 40mm

In the watch world that's a big difference.
Old 10 November 2020, 12:13 PM   #24
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sure their similar but complete different size

One is 42mm the other less than 40mm

In the watch world that's a big difference.
They're both chronos based on the same dial and bezel. The extra 2 mm is from the crown guards so the moonwatch prof does not wear like a normal 42mm.

I don't think you've ever held these two in your hands or know much about these models.

https://wahawatches.com/ultimate-gui...dmaster-sizes/
Old 10 November 2020, 12:40 PM   #25
Thanos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They're both chronos based on the same dial and bezel. The extra 2 mm is from the crown guards so the moonwatch prof does not wear like a normal 42mm.

I don't think you've ever held these two in your hands or know much about these models.

https://wahawatches.com/ultimate-gui...dmaster-sizes/
You know what they say about 'assuming'

I can assure you I own a speedy pro. It wears exactly like a 42mm.

I also own the x-33 skywalker. I can assure you it wears 3mm bigger than the speedy pro albeit much lighter due to titanium.

I own many watches from different brands. I have yet to own 2 watches from same brand with different mm specs YET wear the same or look the same.

While I appreciate what your attempting to say the fact remains the ed white is 2.3mm smaller than the speedy pro.

And that's ok.
Old 10 November 2020, 01:41 PM   #26
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You know what they say about 'assuming'

I can assure you I own a speedy pro. It wears exactly like a 42mm.

I also own the x-33 skywalker. I can assure you it wears 3mm bigger than the speedy pro albeit much lighter due to titanium.

I own many watches from different brands. I have yet to own 2 watches from same brand with different mm specs YET wear the same or look the same.

While I appreciate what your attempting to say the fact remains the ed white is 2.3mm smaller than the speedy pro.

And that's ok.
I'm not saying the FOIS/321 wears exactly the same as the moonwatch. I've said as much in my 321 thread.

To say these are apples and oranges is completely wrong. Once is a direct descendant of the other when Omega was worried about the pushers breaking. They wear similar and it totally makes sense for a prospective buyer to weigh up between the two.

Also Diver 300m vs moonwatch prof, both 42mm they wear very differently.
Old 10 November 2020, 08:14 PM   #27
whiteibex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am not a great fan of this article. The only valid point is that the lug-to-lug is 48 on both the pro and the 321/FOIS.

But lug-to-lug is not the only thing. I have small 6.5" wrists, and the 321 or FOIS wears much smaller than a pro, for several other reasons:
- case thickness first, the 321 is thinner.
- shape and "perceived" size: though both at 48, the 321 has much thinner lugs compared to the pro's twisted lugs, also the strap/bracelet is 19mm rather than 20, which makes the whole thing "look" thinner and more classy as well.

As a counter-example, I also own a Seamaster 300 MC, allegedly 41mm, and it looks like a hockey puck next to a pro or a 321. Same straight lugs with 48mm lug-to-lug, however thicker at 15mm, bracelet is 21mm which makes it look bulkier ... and finally the first link of the bracelet is fixed which further extends the lug-to-lug.

Clearly, a 321 or FOIS fits my small wrists much better. These are different watches.
Old 10 November 2020, 09:30 PM   #28
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
It depends on how you define different. Both watches have a similar appearance and are manufactured by the same company and carry the same Speed Master model logo. They are different sizes and have a different movement but are from the same family. For the average person they are the same watch but for the WIS that we are they are different. I am a big Omega fan but do not see the value in the 321 and the hype is amazing. But that is ok as everything does not have to work for me or others. I will continue to read the threads as I find them entertaining. I will follow the 321's release and see how it does over time when the hype dies down.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 09:48 PM   #29
whiteibex
"TRF" Member

I totally respect this, and this is true that both watches look pretty similar and most people would not be able to differentiate them from a distance. By "These are different watches" I only meant that regardless of the "42 vs 39.7" comparison, the presence is different on the wrist, the 321/FOIS case and combination of smaller strap and lugs looking smaller/thinner/classy.

I think it was a very nice move from Omega. If they had put the 321 in a regular pro case, yes it would have been the exact same watch but with a different movement. Putting it in an FOIS-like case does make it look and fit differently.
Old 11 November 2020, 07:59 AM   #30
amanbra
"TRF" Member

They are different watches but they are not apples and oranges they are different flavours of apples and can be cross shopped is my point. The 321 fits my wrist better also.