The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 September 2021, 01:24 PM   #31
TheDapperYank
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonaG View Post
You must be a blast at parties
I know how to work a room, but the point of my post was "know your audience" but apparently that got buried a bit.
TheDapperYank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 01:26 PM   #32
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
It's just the name "Rolex", people don't know. Tell them you are thinking about going cheap with a Patek and most would agree that's a good idea I've had many of the same comments from people, I just turn it back around on them. For example, I should buy drinks because I have a Rolex....I can't because I spent all my money on a Rolex. It turns the laugh around and changes the subject usually. (this is with friends, I just ignore nonsense from strangers)
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 01:34 PM   #33
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDapperYank View Post
When I've introduced my watch to people
interesting....

i've never had to "introduce" my watch(es). Unless its a fellow watch person, who knows their sh*t about watches, no one has ever asked me about my wristwatch.

But that's my personal experience
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 01:36 PM   #34
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I have a Rolex but I don't consider myself rich by any measure. So many people wearing Rolex watches and they are fairly common sight.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 01:40 PM   #35
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post

I've been telling some of my friends/relatives that I'm thinking of purchasing a Rolex by x-mas (depends on my AD)
My only question is why do you / did you feel compelled to tell some of your friends/relatives that you're thinking of purchasing a Rolex?
Old 5 September 2021, 01:43 PM   #36
TheDapperYank
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
interesting....

i've never had to "introduce" my watch(es). Unless its a fellow watch person, who knows their sh*t about watches, no one has ever asked me about my wristwatch.

But that's my personal experience
IDK, I guess I have friends that care about me enough to let me share something that is exciting to me even if they don't really understand it.
TheDapperYank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 01:48 PM   #37
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I have a Rolex but I don't consider myself rich by any measure. So many people wearing Rolex watches and they are fairly common sight.
Even moreso in places like HK. It’s actually kind of laughable to me for anybody to equate a Rolex to being ‘wealthy’.

But then again I’m the guy who thinks there’s zero issue with somebody wearing a $50k Patek and driving a $15k Honda, so everybody is different
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 01:54 PM   #38
LazySumday
"TRF" Member

A Rolex is considered an extravagance by many, including myself. Nothing wrong with it really. At the end of the day, a $10k extravagance won’t make a lick of difference to many. If it is their thing, great! Good luck with your purchase. Almost guaranteed to never look back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LazySumday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 02:02 PM   #39
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
It’s just small talk, like if I had your money I’d throw mine away
Kowaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 02:20 PM   #40
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazySumday View Post
A Rolex is considered an extravagance by many, including myself.
Indeed. A Rolex is a luxury accessory — not a necessity.

Of course, most average middle class folks would think spending $10,000 or $20,000 on a watch is utterly absurd and an obvious display of wealth.

If one of your neighbors bought a $15,000 handbag, $5,000 pair of shoes, or a $200,000 Bentley… wouldn’t it be logical to assume they had a lot of discretionary funds?

If one lives paycheck to paycheck, and blows $10,000 on a watch, handbag, or jewelry… you are spending above your means.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 02:34 PM   #41
Tanalasta
"TRF" Member

Most people would recognise 'it's a nice watch'. But only those who are familiar with the brand will recognise it as a 'Rolex' unless you specifically point out the brand. Which I feel it modest not to do. When a stranger points out 'nice watch', often it is a person also wearing another 'nice watch' and we get to discussing the stories behind our wearer. Sometimes it gravitates to how lucky we were to just walk in and buy it back in the day ; and how we've worn it almost every day.

If anyone asks, I'll usually say nonchalantly 'it's a date just or submariner' or 'it was a present to mark a special occasion'. I don't refer to it as "the Rolex"

Rarely, it's someone who points attention to it for nefarious reasons or they want one for themselves. I finally got sick of it and bought my parent(s) one.
Tanalasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 02:34 PM   #42
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE has something they enjoy that they would spend significant money on and that other people would think is foolish.

I think anyone that says anything to you about your watch being some ostentatious display of wealth is not a friend or acquaintance worth having.

I think the people in my neighborhood that go out and buy the latest "hot" new car are foolish, and I'm content to keep right on driving my 20 year old Honda and having money in the bank and a Rolex on my wrist.

I would say the same about boats, and $2000 BBQ grills, and $5000 lawn mowers.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 02:48 PM   #43
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

&quot;He owns a Rolex so he must be rich !!&quot;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oystersteel92 View Post
Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE has something they enjoy that they would spend significant money on and that other people would think is foolish.

I think anyone that says anything to you about your watch being some ostentatious display of wealth is not a friend or acquaintance worth having.

I think the people in my neighborhood that go out and buy the latest "hot" new car are foolish, and I'm content to keep right on driving my 20 year old Honda and having money in the bank and a Rolex on my wrist.

Totally agree. I have friends that think I’m smart because i drive an inexpensive car. Yet, i spend $20,000 a year on golf . You’re exactly right, everyone has their thing.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 03:25 PM   #44
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
OP, if you are making a distinction between yourself and the common people you are richer than you think.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 03:45 PM   #45
TeddyBallGame
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexRon456 View Post
Lol, facts! Throw in a wife. I heard a story, guy pulls up to a guy in a Ferrari and asks him his secret. “Buy the car, rent the woman.”

This reminds me a quote from Paul Riser in the show Red Oaks, ”if it flies, floats or f$&ks, rent it…”
TeddyBallGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 03:48 PM   #46
rolex818
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
You still get birthday presents!?

LOOL

rolex818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 03:50 PM   #47
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Rolex advertising IS very effective. If you said that you were saving up for a Lange all you would probably get is: "That's nice."
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 04:07 PM   #48
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
I wear a Rolex for MY enjoyment. I get maybe one person every couple years that even notices that I am wearing a Rolex. As far as telling anyone I am buying a Rolex it is you guys and my wife and all she cares about is how much it costs .. lol
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 04:25 PM   #49
DoDe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexRon456 View Post
Lol, facts! Throw in a wife. I heard a story, guy pulls up to a guy in a Ferrari and asks him his secret. “Buy the car, rent the woman.”
I guess this happened some decades ago when these kind of jokes were considered funny and not just embarrassing.
DoDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 04:43 PM   #50
junamuan
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laostuh View Post
I'd buy a Rolex and not even tell my friends or family about it unless they noticed it or asked about it. After all, you're not trying to please anyone but yourself.

The only person I'd consult with when getting a Rolex is the wife to make sure I can still sleep on the same bed that night :-D.
This is me. 100% agree.

Sent from my SM-G996W using Tapatalk
Old 5 September 2021, 05:04 PM   #51
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoDe View Post
I guess this happened some decades ago when these kind of jokes were considered funny and not just embarrassing.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 05:25 PM   #52
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
IDK, I guess I have friends that care about me enough to let me share something that is exciting to me even if they don't really understand it.
but of course
Old 5 September 2021, 05:26 PM   #53
DAC2
Banned

Watch: Pt 228206 ice blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
Children are way, way, way more expensive.

Always weird to me when a guy who chose to have many kids tells me something, anything, is expensive.
I always thought why spend perfectly good car or watch money on children !
LOL.... life is too short not to have what you want.
DAC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 05:39 PM   #54
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonaG View Post
You must be a blast at parties
Sprezzatura!, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 06:13 PM   #55
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post

I guess watches are just like any other hobby or extra life expense. Some people spend $$$$$ on cars, bikes, boats or off-roading and in that respect, spending $10-$12k on a watch really looks cheap in comparison.

But somehow the common people mentality seems to be stuck with if someone owns a Rolex (Vs other brands), he/she must be "rich"!!

Rant out :).
Sure, but consider that a watch that costs $11K is ridiculous to a non WIS.
You can spend $11 and get the same result (telling the time).
I understand the logic behind the statement of cars, boats, etc. But, here is where that logic falls short:

you can't go fast in a $1000 car like you can a $100,000 one. And, you either have a boat or you don't -- there isn't a cheaper substitute.

That is why I think the people you're talking about might view a Rolex as a rich man's item. After all - it kind of is. The same, though, or worse, would be said about sports cars (rich or mid life crisis or small dick or whatever)

In summary, if you like the brand, get used to the label that can come with the watch. Fair or not, it's here, and perception is reality
Cauhauna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 06:40 PM   #56
Shadow Play
"TRF" Member

I too find it strange that people sometimes comment on the perceived excessive cost of a Rolex. I’ve had that commented to me by someone who smokes 20 cigarettes a day. That’s over £3,500 a year - every year! That’s a more expensive hobby than buying a Rolex every few years.
Shadow Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 07:00 PM   #57
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT

Rolex is a luxury brand. Omega is too. Actually, even Tag Heuer is a luxury brand. Most folks don’t spend that amount of money on a watch.

There are definitely exceptions, but Rolex is a rich man’s watch.

Also, there are those amongst us that have a lot of wealth, but still feel the price of a Rolex is somewhat daunting.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 07:20 PM   #58
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
I have never told anyone other than my wife that I intend to buy a watch, any watch. In addition I do not go round telling people I've bought a watch and here it is.

Should someone notice that I am wearing a watch they like and comment then I am happy to discuss the subject further.

My close friends and family who know that I am a watch nerd might ask what are you wearing today but that only happens occasionally.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 07:33 PM   #59
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
Quote:
When I've introduced my watch to people, I make sure to talk about why it's meaningful to me. How my father and his father were Rolex owners so I want to continue the tradition. Then I go into the history of the Rolex Milgauss and how it was originally designed back in the 1950s for the scientists working at CERN, to be resistant to magnetic fields so accurate time keeping could continue in a laboratory environment. Usually people think that's super neat and appreciate it.

Long story short, it's all in how you sell it to people. If you're just like "Man, I really want a rolex" people that only know of Rolex as a rich people toy will think you want it as a rich person's toy, but if there is meaning behind it they'll appreciate it. Either that or you can just not talk about it to folks that aren't watch people. Your choice.
How far do you get before they tell you to STFU?
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 07:56 PM   #60
rlx123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oystersteel92 View Post

I agree. My Honda has 135k miles and it is still running like a dream. It doesn’t cost me much to maintain. Not to knock on people who own expensive cars, but I used to own one of these expensive cars, so I can speak from experience. The maintenance, repair and depreciation cost combined during my ownership (2 years) was the equivalent of two present day submariners and that’s probably conservative estimate. I got rid of it and never looked back.

rlx123 is offline   Reply With Quote