The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 28 September 2018, 11:04 PM   #1
HelenB
"TRF" Member

Can anyone tell me anything about my pocket watch...?

Hi All!
I've had this beautiful little pocket watch since I was a child. I've loved looking at it and wondering about it. Now I am a proper grown up, I would actually like to know something more about it, and maybe get it restored...?

Can any of you let me know where I could start, or anything about it? I've attached some pictures. It appear to be a Wilsdorf and Davies, serial number 424339.

Any help or signposting on much appreciated!!

I've attached some pictures- see what you think :-)

Helen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0884.JPG (237.9 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0880.JPG (276.5 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0881.JPG (245.2 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0883.JPG (271.9 KB, 239 views)
HelenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2018, 03:37 AM   #2
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

It is a very nice watch. Does it run at all? Most of them have been dropped and have a broken balance staff. The parts for these are very hard to source. Hands would not be much of a problem for a watchmaker with some tenure there in UK.

The watch features a very early contract movement from Rebberg with a nice decoration.

If the balance staff is not broken, as I said a good quality "older" watchmaker with some tenure there in UK could likely clean it and put a glass on and some hands and make it whole again.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2018, 06:43 AM   #3
HelenB
"TRF" Member

Thanks so much for the information. Would you be able to help me further, by letting me know how to go about finding an experienced watchmaker?

I feel hopeful it can be fixed, it was looked at a few years ago by a jeweller and they felt it was not beyond hope...!
Old 1 October 2018, 03:14 PM   #4
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

There is surely someone on here from UK that knows someone who could likely get it going.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 12:01 PM   #5
R.O.L.E.X
"TRF" Member

As you probably are aware, it is made of sterling silver.

I'd first find a watchmaker who is a) capable b) honest c) reasonably priced and find out what is wrong with the movement and whether or not it is serviceable. Following that, I would get appropriate hands for the pocket watch.
R.O.L.E.X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 05:30 AM   #6
HelenB
"TRF" Member

Hi everyone, thanks so much for the above advice. I had this looked at today by a local auctioneer who valued it at £10... £30 if restored, so hardly anything.

Is this correct do you think, or have they missed the Wilsdorf and Davies link? I'm a massive amateur, so would value any help please!
Old 10 October 2019, 06:57 AM   #7
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenB View Post
Hi everyone, thanks so much for the above advice. I had this looked at today by a local auctioneer who valued it at £10... £30 if restored, so hardly anything.

Is this correct do you think, or have they missed the Wilsdorf and Davies link? I'm a massive amateur, so would value any help please!

Hi Helen,

Try contacting Haywood Milton. https://www.miltonaires.com/
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 08:08 AM   #8
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenB View Post

Once running with new hands and new glass, I think you would easily be able to get a few hundred for it; that enameling is beautiful!

You may spend that much getting it going so you have to decide if its worth keeping.
Old 10 October 2019, 09:26 AM   #9
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
I would concur with the local auctioneer you took it to. These are VERY common and given it's current state leads to the value. It's hallmarked for sterling silver which when dipped will look brand new. It's kind of cool to decode the hallmarks on it. It tells the watch's story. The crown (used to wind it) is known as an "onion crown" given that it looks like an onion

You can see some of the purple toning it has naturally taken on. Very common for silver to tarnish like that over many years sometimes showing beautiful shades of purple and iridescent blue. The enameling is very cool too.

I think it can be easily serviced with a set of hands, glass crystal, and movement overhaul as these were very common pocket watches with an abundance of parts available. It'll cost you far more to do that than it's worth, but if it has special meaning to you, it would be well worth it. I did that with my dad's cheap watch that he wore while in the military during the Vietnam era.

And if you have a grandchild, it might be nice to pass on to at the age when you first got it. Or maybe just to have for yourself. Sometimes its very cool to restore something to its former glory that otherwise would make it to the trash bin.