The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX


Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 October 2019, 09:03 AM   #1
sulttaani
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: EU
Posts: 91
Value retention and scarcity are the most important things on a watch purchase..

The subject definitely needs a sticky and a dedicated section on this forum, what if I miss the daily market price of BLRO by a second because I did not spot the correct thread that mentioned it, it happened once and Id be devastated were it to happen again.
sulttaani is offline  
Old 10 October 2019, 09:15 AM   #2
Brew
2019 SKY-DWELLER Pledge Member
 
Brew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Real Name: Larry
Location: Finger Lakes
Watch: YM40, DJ36, OP39,
Posts: 3,100
deleted
Brew is offline  
Old 10 October 2019, 09:16 AM   #3
blufinz52
2019 SKY-DWELLER Pledge Member
 
blufinz52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Real Name: Mike
Location: NH
Watch: 114060 116400GV
Posts: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
deleted
blufinz52 is offline  
Old 10 October 2019, 09:18 AM   #4
~JJ
"TRF" Member
 
~JJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chicago
Watch: explorer
Posts: 1,272
I hope this is sarcastic, but you never know with how posts are going these days.
~JJ is offline  
Old 10 October 2019, 09:22 AM   #5
enjoythemusic
"TRF" Member
 
enjoythemusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Real Name: Steven
Location: USA
Posts: 4,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulttaani View Post
The subject definitely needs a sticky and a dedicated section on this forum....
Been asked many times. Wonder if mods will ever listen... or just close this thread due to the sensitive subject matter.
__________________
----------------------
Enjoy Your Time,

-- Steven
enjoythemusic is offline  
Old 10 October 2019, 09:23 AM   #6
garbanzo
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Spain
Posts: 393
From Rantasalmi; right ?
__________________
116610LN - 216570 Polar - 114300 Red Grape - 326934 White - 116660 Black - 126300 Blue - 116713LN - 116503 Black - 116900 - 126600 - 79220R ETA
garbanzo is offline  
Old 10 October 2019, 09:23 AM   #7
Onikage
"TRF" Member
 
Onikage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England
Watch: 16710, 16628
Posts: 5,890
Best of luck with it OP.
__________________
GMT II 16710 TRADITIONAL
( D- Serial #)
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline  
Old 10 October 2019, 09:27 AM   #8
AK797
2019 Pledge Member
 
AK797's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Real Name: Neil
Location: UK
Watch: ing ships roll in
Posts: 54,363
And I want to sit like Charlie Sheen in Wall Street and watch the ticker of watch prices go by me on the wall, as I ponder who Blue Horseshoe loves today.
AK797 is offline  
Old 10 October 2019, 10:45 AM   #9
watchmework
2019 HARRODS BB Pledge Member
 
watchmework's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Merica
Watch: 126710BLRO
Posts: 5,219
Hahaha. Ha. Ha.
watchmework is offline  
Old 10 October 2019, 10:54 AM   #10
GoingPlaces
2019 SKY-DWELLER Pledge Member
 
GoingPlaces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: DC
Watch: me want more
Posts: 2,641
Must be sarcasm, right?
__________________
Instagram: ontherighttrack88
GoingPlaces is offline  
Old 10 October 2019, 11:24 AM   #11
locutus49
"TRF" Member
 
locutus49's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Real Name: John
Location: La Jolla, CA
Watch: Platona
Posts: 10,444
I am working with a software developer to create a program to track the prices of hot Rolex and Patek watches on an hourly basis, both bid and ask. Our target customers will be both novice investors getting into the watch game as well as seasoned flippers. OP: I will contact you upon our completion date which is TBD.
__________________
"Dig and be dug" Langston Hughes

"Sunt rupes virtutis iter"

"Send me" Isaiah 6:8
locutus49 is offline  
Old 10 October 2019, 01:51 PM   #12
Soultime
"TRF" Member
 
Soultime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Cheshire UK
Posts: 590
I think we can go one step further than a simple "spot price' tracker and develop a derivatives market for Rolex watches.

It could be a synthetic multi currency adjusted ETF traded by the second in real time with the ability for futures price point options for each model.

Thinking of calling it 'Current Rolex Assumed Pricing' or CR** for short.

If I don't do that, I might just buy a watch and wear it.
Soultime is offline  
Old 10 October 2019, 03:19 PM   #13
Smarties
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 596
Unless you have access to abundant number of highly sought after watches at msrp, you won’t make a fortune from watch trading.

With the manufacturing capacity of Rolex today, supplies won’t be as scarce as that in 60-80s.

Better to invest you funds elsewhere!
Smarties is online now  
Old 10 October 2019, 04:43 PM   #14
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member
 
Rashid.bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N/A
Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Posts: 8,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarties View Post
Unless you have access to abundant number of highly sought after watches at msrp, you won’t make a fortune from watch trading.

With the manufacturing capacity of Rolex today, supplies won’t be as scarce as that in 60-80s.

Better to invest you funds elsewhere!
Somewhat true...but populations levels are growing. Add another quarter population in 20 years and it may be relative. Rolex makes watches for todays demand on earth.
The only difference is that unlike the first generation vintage watches which were actually used and not necessarily well maintained which made good condition examples rare, today every joe blow is stashing away his watch and even afraid to get it wet or use it while doing something incredibly risky and extremely dangerous like riding a bike, and at the far far right, many are going nuts as to how it scratches from being on a laptop computer with your Rolex. So there will be plenty of LNIB/NOS, and mint condition watches available in the future.

This thread proves that Rolex is mostly man jewelry, and a trade commodity. 100% opposite the reason I love mechanical watches.
Rashid.bk is offline  
Old 10 October 2019, 04:57 PM   #15
directioneng
2019 SKY-DWELLER Pledge Member
 
directioneng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Watch: A few.
Posts: 29,483
Don’t feed them.
__________________
E

directioneng is offline  
Old 10 October 2019, 05:01 PM   #16
ganagati
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GMT -8
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
I am working with a software developer to create a program to track the prices of hot Rolex and Patek watches on an hourly basis, both bid and ask. Our target customers will be both novice investors getting into the watch game as well as seasoned flippers. OP: I will contact you upon our completion date which is TBD.
Id like to help if possible. The sooner we can get this complete, the better for us all. Also, if I can get in pre-IPO, this would be a gold mine, which is what I would expect the software to indicate would be required to purchase said BLRO.
ganagati is offline  
Old 10 October 2019, 05:02 PM   #17
Smarties
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Somewhat true...but populations levels are growing. Add another quarter population in 20 years and it may be relative. Rolex makes watches for todays demand on earth.
The only difference is that unlike the first generation vintage watches which were actually used and not necessarily well maintained which made good condition examples rare, today every joe blow is stashing away his watch and even afraid to get it wet or use it while doing something incredibly risky and extremely dangerous like riding a bike, and at the far far right, many are going nuts as to how it scratches from being on a laptop computer with your Rolex. So there will be plenty of LNIB/NOS, and mint condition watches available in the future.

This thread proves that Rolex is mostly man jewelry, and a trade commodity. 100% opposite the reason I love mechanical watches.

I won't be surprised if Rolex slowly increases its manufacturing capacity if they see a steady increase in demand (grow proportionately with population?!?). Since people know Rolex watches maintain better resell value/can be sold at a profit, many of them will keep their watch in mint/pristine condition. I think in the future the supply of "vintage" Rolex will not be as scarce as that in decades ago. I don't expect people will make a fortune out of it.
Smarties is online now  
Old 10 October 2019, 05:07 PM   #18
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member
 
Rashid.bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N/A
Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Posts: 8,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarties View Post
I won't be surprised if Rolex slowly increases its manufacturing capacity if they see a steady increase in demand (grow proportionately with population?!?). Since people know Rolex watches maintain better resell value/can be sold at a profit, many of them will keep their watch in mint/pristine condition. I think in the future the supply of "vintage" Rolex will not be as scarce as that in decades ago. I don't expect people will make a fortune out of it.
I feel as you and want to believe that, but then I see a Submariner 16610LV sell for over $20k or a 3186 GMT Master ll sell over $15Ks all day and it's confusing to my rational processes.
Rashid.bk is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banner Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright 2004-2019, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.