The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 May 2008, 05:18 AM   #31
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
10:29 PST, 4/29/08 - First of all, the provider is / was experiencing a ddos attack (distributed denial of service) over the ATT backbone causing the whole server to be either very slow or non existent. Next issue was that I upgraded php and mysql to version 5 from 4 so that Steve can upgrade the forum software. In doing this upgrade, seems the SERVER versions of sql got upgraded but the client remained at 4 so all my sites with php and sql just displayed blank pages. Anyway, i re ran the upgrade so now all should be good.
I would have just tweaked the Flux Capacitor
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2008, 06:08 AM   #32
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Watch: your P's and Q's
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopJr View Post
I would have just tweaked the Flux Capacitor
I'm thinking more along the lines of the Reverberating Carbonizer w/Mutate Capacity...

Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (Blk/Blk)
Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Incurable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2008, 06:42 AM   #33
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
10:29 PST, 4/29/08 - First of all, the provider is / was experiencing a ddos attack (distributed denial of service) over the ATT backbone causing the whole server to be either very slow or non existent. Next issue was that I upgraded php and mysql to version 5 from 4 so that Steve can upgrade the forum software. In doing this upgrade, seems the SERVER versions of sql got upgraded but the client remained at 4 so all my sites with php and sql just displayed blank pages. Anyway, i re ran the upgrade so now all should be good.
Er, this is a perfectly worded report of the said situation.
How about the following instead???

Written in technical English with appropriate terms of description about the specific conditions of the computer systems software and hardware, attributable to the various attack vectors pertained during an externally controlled and coordinated extended flood of service requests from the upstream service provider to the said server. Compounded with the impending software upgrade on the database server side whilst the corresponding client side component has been retained, thus creating an incompatibility of the said database client and server software, thus created such outage. Rectification of such outage incurred recompilation of the said database source code and the re-distribution and re-installation of the database server and client end at the server, thus removing the incompatiability issue.

I write these all the time to make people sleep
The purpose is to make sure you stated everything as truthfully as possible but make it so boring that nobody can identify and attribute the blame
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2008, 07:09 AM   #34
mopsey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Exp2,BlkBy,SD

Well, thats cleared that up then!!!!!!
mopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2008, 09:07 AM   #35
Oscar
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS GMTIIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2careless View Post
Er, this is a perfectly worded report of the said situation.
How about the following instead???

Written in technical English with appropriate terms of description about the specific conditions of the computer systems software and hardware, attributable to the various attack vectors pertained during an externally controlled and coordinated extended flood of service requests from the upstream service provider to the said server. Compounded with the impending software upgrade on the database server side whilst the corresponding client side component has been retained, thus creating an incompatibility of the said database client and server software, thus created such outage. Rectification of such outage incurred recompilation of the said database source code and the re-distribution and re-installation of the database server and client end at the server, thus removing the incompatiability issue.

I write these all the time to make people sleep
The purpose is to make sure you stated everything as truthfully as possible but make it so boring that nobody can identify and attribute the blame

Kai,

Having read your comments it seems quite clear to me that you may also be the Speech Writer for the Australian Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd.

Am I right???

Mods, please dont' penalise me. These are not designed to be political comments. I am just trying to take the you know what out of Kev's Speech Writer.

I am merely stating that Big Kev should sack his current Speech Writer and employ someone that writes plain english speeches.

Michael
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2008, 11:19 AM   #36
2careless
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Kai,

Having read your comments it seems quite clear to me that you may also be the Speech Writer for the Australian Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd.

Am I right???

Mods, please dont' penalise me. These are not designed to be political comments. I am just trying to take the you know what out of Kev's Speech Writer.

I am merely stating that Big Kev should sack his current Speech Writer and employ someone that writes plain english speeches.

Michael

If I got the pink envelope, I'll shout beer for every TRF member in Melbourne

Seriously, I deal with service providers, lawyers, contract managers daily and these are the stuff they send me to review and accordingly I'll have to reply in kind

I suppose I should be doing a Juris Doctor degree so that I can bore people officially, except that it costs $90k
Old 1 May 2008, 02:24 PM   #37
vh_bu98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum YM
Do you guys have a daily backup of the board in case of a major crash?
vh_bu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2008, 09:43 PM   #38
Oscar
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS GMTIIC
Quote:
If I got the pink envelope, I'll shout beer for every TRF member in Melbourne

Seriously, I deal with service providers, lawyers, contract managers daily and these are the stuff they send me to review and accordingly I'll have to reply in kind

I suppose I should be doing a Juris Doctor degree so that I can bore people officially, except that it costs $90k

Kai,

I have no problem with interpreting all manner of contracts, Acts of Parliament, Regulations and so forth, but your comments really flipped me out. I have a pretty good brain with most legal matters, but with your words I was scratching the grey matter between my ears thinking, what the???

Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2008, 10:13 PM   #39
2careless
"TRF" Member

Errr...
1. Some external people tried to flood the AT&T network backbone with packets. Since the server resides within the confinements of AT&T network backbone, the server performance was affected to the point that it was very unresponsive.
2. In the meantime, the client/server database software was being upgraded. Unfortunately, only the server part of the database software was upgraded successfully, leaving the client part on the old version of the database software. This created a compatiability issue resulting the server displaying blank pages. In order to fix the problem, the database software was recompiled (re-created) from scratch and the upgrade re-applied. This fixed the problem.
This is as plain english as I can make it. Scott did a good job in explaining the situation with far fewer words
Old 2 May 2008, 08:28 AM   #40
vh_bu98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum YM
Quote:
Errr...
1. Some external people tried to flood the AT&T network backbone with packets. Since the server resides within the confinements of AT&T network backbone, the server performance was affected to the point that it was very unresponsive.
2. In the meantime, the client/server database software was being upgraded. Unfortunately, only the server part of the database software was upgraded successfully, leaving the client part on the old version of the database software. This created a compatiability issue resulting the server displaying blank pages. In order to fix the problem, the database software was recompiled (re-created) from scratch and the upgrade re-applied. This fixed the problem.
This is as plain english as I can make it. Scott did a good job in explaining the situation with far fewer words
How about this?

1) Bad people sent a lot of useless data to the AT&T network slowing it down.

2) A software upgrade broke the machine that the site is on.

Plain enough English?
vh_bu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2008, 08:35 AM   #41
nikhsub1
Server Advisor

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_bu98 View Post
Do you guys have a daily backup of the board in case of a major crash?
Yes, daily, weekly and monthy backups are performed however, it would be very prudent for Steve to automate (or do it manually) a MySql dump every day or so.
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2008, 11:48 PM   #42
Lol-x
Facilitator

The database is backed up daily

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2008, 12:08 AM   #43
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
Thanks Scott for your hands on!!
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2009, 05:00 AM   #44
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4prosales View Post
How long before you can list a watch for sale on here...very nice people Thanks
Jimmy
Why don't you read the Sales Forum rules? You'll find all the answers you need there.

And why did you post this question here?

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2009, 01:42 AM   #45
NJSub

Watch: 16610
Glad to see it's resolved! Damn script kiddies....
NJSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2009, 12:51 PM   #46
sleddog

Just read this whole thread and Im left with this
Im just happy to be here..!!
Thanx all involved for the hard work!!
Rob

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2009, 12:58 PM   #47
Rockrolex

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog1000 View Post
Just read this whole thread and Im left with this
Im just happy to be here..!!
Thanx all involved for the hard work!!
Rob
Rob, this is a very old thread. Unfortunately, it got resurrected by some idiot spammer shortly before a similar problem just occurred.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote