The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 18 July 2019, 11:03 PM   #391
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Agreed regarding the blue vs green dial fanfare. Maybe speculators believe the green to be quirkier and therefore perhaps more valuable down the road (not saying I agree with that assessment). As long as you don't have FOMO and can look at things objectively, this environment still allows for great watches to be found. Everyone looks left (green dial) you go right (blue dial).

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 12:55 AM   #392
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Agreed regarding the blue vs green dial fanfare. Maybe speculators believe the green to be quirkier and therefore perhaps more valuable down the road (not saying I agree with that assessment). As long as you don't have FOMO and can look at things objectively, this environment still allows for great watches to be found. Everyone looks left (green dial) you go right (blue dial).
That nailed it. I'm trying to zig in a zagging market. I love the green dial. Asked for it first, but the blue is just a smidge behind and I can actually get it, and for a large discount. That to me is a win. I can't play the speculation games. I have a few nice pieces that are hot, and most of them I got early enough that things hadn't gone completely crazy. Now though, I just zero in on what I like and try to stay mostly out of the line of fire of the FOMO watches. If I get this PM my last four watches will be (in order): Discontinued 2007 Cellini Prince (unloved), Speedy Pro TinTin (non-Rolex), non "hot" Rolex PM, and the Barakuda (non-Rolex).

I find it is much more enjoyable to look for the less loved models and outside of Rolex while the market remains this overheated. Not going to lie, I am on "the list" for a SS Daytona (years likely), a Blue dial SkyD (probably removing myself if I get this PM Blue dial), and may add myself back to the SS BLRO list since I didn't get the WG version. To be honest, I don't much care when or if I get the calls.

Watch money is gone for this year, and next year I am seriously thinking Panerai or AP. Perhaps Rolex is doing many of us a favor letting us enjoy other brands for awhile.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 06:08 AM   #393
indycole
"TRF" Member

Just curious if anyone has opinions on the titanium case 5015 vs. the steel? I've been on the hunt for months and haven't come across the titanium in person (in either color). I'm torn between the brushed finish and sapphire case back on the titanium versus the more classic vibe of the steel.
indycole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 06:49 AM   #394
the_natural
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
I find it is much more enjoyable to look for the less loved models and outside of Rolex while the market remains this overheated.
This. Couldn't agree more. I got my very much unloved Speedmaster 3594 (on 1499 bracelet) for a great deal at the beginning of the year, and man I love the thing. It had even been recently serviced to boot.

Quote:
Not going to lie, I am on "the list" for a SS Daytona (years likely), a Blue dial SkyD (probably removing myself if I get this PM Blue dial), and may add myself back to the SS BLRO list since I didn't get the WG version. To be honest, I don't much care when or if I get the calls.
I, too, am on the Daytona list, and don't care much if I ever get the call.

Quote:
Perhaps Rolex is doing many of us a favor letting us enjoy other brands for awhile.
Totally. I lost interest in Rolex before things got really nutty, and I'm really glad that happened, because man there are some killer watches out there once you get outside of the big marketing brands (and, admittedly, I don't want something everyone else has anyway).
the_natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 07:12 AM   #395
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

I'm with both of you. You take advantage of the current environment (in life, work and watches). The over inflation of certain models/brands means undervaluation of other models/ brands. As long as you find something you like, there are great deals to be had.

I also typically get turned off from things that become too popular. This current environment has soured me a bit to Rolex, AP and PP. I'm using it as the perfect opportunity to look into devalued brands like Lange and Moser.

Old 19 July 2019, 08:03 PM   #396
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_natural View Post
This. Couldn't agree more. I got my very much unloved Speedmaster 3594 (on 1499 bracelet) for a great deal at the beginning of the year, and man I love the thing. It had even been recently serviced to boot.

I, too, am on the Daytona list, and don't care much if I ever get the call.

Totally. I lost interest in Rolex before things got really nutty, and I'm really glad that happened, because man there are some killer watches out there once you get outside of the big marketing brands (and, admittedly, I don't want something everyone else has anyway).
Good post. I'll be honest...I haven't lost interest in Rolex, I am a complete nut for Rolex. I just realized that chasing and paying WAY over MSRP for watches doesn't work for me. I have a decent sized collection though so easier for me to say that than someone just getting into collecting.

With the market being what it is it seemed the perfect time to look around at unloved models and other brands. I am enjoying it. Always wanted a FF, but if the market was relatively normal I would have spent that 14K on a CHNR or something else. So maybe a blessing to not be able to get much from Rolex right now.
Old 19 July 2019, 08:05 PM   #397
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm with both of you. You take advantage of the current environment (in life, work and watches). The over inflation of certain models/brands means undervaluation of other models/ brands. As long as you find something you like, there are great deals to be had.

I also typically get turned off from things that become too popular. This current environment has soured me a bit to Rolex, AP and PP. I'm using it as the perfect opportunity to look into devalued brands like Lange and Moser.
Have a watch friend whose opinion I really respect and he, having had both Patek and Lange, swears that Lange is every bit the watch Patek is, and in some cases more, for less. I've never played with either, so I have no opinion, but I trust his.

And Moser are just cool.
Old 19 July 2019, 08:21 PM   #398
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Agree and i'm playing with a similar idee. Unload some of my popular pieces for Lange. I can exchange my BLRO and just received 126710blnr for a Datagraph 403.035 (pre-owned) for example which is crazy. On the other hand, who knows 35/40K is the bottom for a 403.035. Maybe it drops further. I dont see Rolex SS prices dropping soon.
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 10:35 AM   #399
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Any news on when the kuda May start shipping
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 11:35 AM   #400
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
I was told to expect it this month but have not heard a peep. Ordered it so long ago hard to be excited lol
Old 13 October 2019, 11:37 AM   #401
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I was told to expect it this month but have not heard a peep. Ordered it so long ago hard to be excited lol

You and me both. I’m over these waits already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 05:09 PM   #402
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
You and me both. I’m over these waits already.

I ordered a bulgari a few days ago and I bet it arrives first lol
Old 14 October 2019, 01:05 AM   #403
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Quote:
The Tourbillon boutique told me 4 weeks ago they expected to get the first one this October.
All I need is more patience.
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 02:34 PM   #404
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Gratuitous Bathy pic:

BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2019, 10:55 AM   #405
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
This current environment has soured me a bit to Rolex, AP and PP. I'm using it as the perfect opportunity to look into devalued brands like Lange and Moser.

It doesn’t have to be a dichotomy. While the current environment is a bummer in some ways, a blend of Rolex, AP, Lange and BP makes a perfect collection (for me).

bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2019, 12:26 PM   #406
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I ordered a bulgari a few days ago and I bet it arrives first lol
Octofinisimo?
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 11:40 PM   #407
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

If anyone is interested, Watchbox is selling a BOC iii (250 piece limited 40mm Fifty fathoms in blue). Decent price.

Old 26 May 2020, 11:57 PM   #408
Amg7861
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM Rhodium Dial 37
I love the FF, but have dithered over he years due to the sizing.

Amg7861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 03:45 AM   #409
Timmer1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Fifty Fathoms
I have a random question for those that own a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, seems that this thread has quite a few. A few days ago I purchased a pre-owned stainless steel blue fifty fathoms off Chrono24 with all boxes and papers. The jeweler I bought the watch from is an authorized Blancpain dealer and according to the warranty card sold the watch to the original owner. My question is, on the warranty card and on the watch there is not a serial number but a Watch No. which is three digits and a Watch Ref. that matches the reference number on Blancpain's website. Is that correct for a fifty fathoms?
Timmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 12:33 PM   #410
Greenp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer1 View Post
I have a random question for those that own a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, seems that this thread has quite a few. A few days ago I purchased a pre-owned stainless steel blue fifty fathoms off Chrono24 with all boxes and papers. The jeweler I bought the watch from is an authorized Blancpain dealer and according to the warranty card sold the watch to the original owner. My question is, on the warranty card and on the watch there is not a serial number but a Watch No. which is three digits and a Watch Ref. that matches the reference number on Blancpain's website. Is that correct for a fifty fathoms?
The watch number is the serial number for that particular configuration(SS, blue dial) of watch. The crazy thing is I bought a SS black dial 50 Fathom in 2017 about 10 years after Blancpain introduced the model. The AD had to order it directly from Blancpain. The number was only 29xx. Apparently they only made <=300/year.
Greenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 01:38 PM   #411
Timmer1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Fifty Fathoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenp View Post
The watch number is the serial number for that particular configuration(SS, blue dial) of watch. The crazy thing is I bought a SS black dial 50 Fathom in 2017 about 10 years after Blancpain introduced the model. The AD had to order it directly from Blancpain. The number was only 29xx. Apparently they only made <=300/year.

Yes, according to the warranty card mine was purchased in August 2018 and it has a three digit watch number. Thank you for the reply, I was not worried the watch was counterfeit since the jeweler I purchased it from has two physical store locations, is an authorized deal of multiple brands including Blancpain, a social media presence, and a podcast. I’ll try and post some pictures in the next few days.
Timmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 02:16 PM   #412
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives

Titanium bracelet now available !

https://blancpainblog.com/timepieces...fifty-fathoms/
Old 14 June 2020, 02:31 PM   #413
Soarer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner LV
Thoughts on Blancpain Fifty Fathoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post

Is it for the 45mm models only?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 14 June 2020, 03:42 PM   #414
AlexDimi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
Hopefully will be able to buy only the bracelet and add to our titanium Fifthy Fathoms.
AlexDimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 09:28 PM   #415
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarer View Post
Is it for the 45mm models only?
I am not sure it will fit other models then the 45 mm. It would be nice though if Blancpain would offer a ceramic bracelet for the Bathyscape with the ceramic case.
Old 15 June 2020, 03:27 AM   #416
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDimi View Post
Hopefully will be able to buy only the bracelet and add to our titanium Fifthy Fathoms.
I'm sure they will and, just like the X71, it will be arse clenchingly expensive...
Old 20 June 2020, 01:40 AM   #417
stratlanta
"TRF" Member

Recently got this black version on a bracelet and I'm obsessed with it. I haven't worn anything else (well, watches... ) since I got it. Have a blue one on the way and will post pics when it arrives. Love this watch.

stratlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2020, 01:56 AM   #418
hifihunter
"TRF" Member

more pics

love mine!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3944.jpg (52.8 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3999.jpg (123.4 KB, 264 views)
hifihunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2020, 08:23 PM   #419
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Full metal Barakuda, love it. the Fifty Fathoms should be sold by default on a bracelet.
Old 20 June 2020, 11:55 PM   #420
Soarer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner LV
Gorgeous! That Barakuda is one of the best if not the best FF I have seen.