The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 18 July 2019, 11:03 PM   #391
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Agreed regarding the blue vs green dial fanfare. Maybe speculators believe the green to be quirkier and therefore perhaps more valuable down the road (not saying I agree with that assessment). As long as you don't have FOMO and can look at things objectively, this environment still allows for great watches to be found. Everyone looks left (green dial) you go right (blue dial).
Old 19 July 2019, 12:55 AM   #392
Swaye
2019 HARRODS BB Pledge Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Agreed regarding the blue vs green dial fanfare. Maybe speculators believe the green to be quirkier and therefore perhaps more valuable down the road (not saying I agree with that assessment). As long as you don't have FOMO and can look at things objectively, this environment still allows for great watches to be found. Everyone looks left (green dial) you go right (blue dial).
That nailed it. I'm trying to zig in a zagging market. I love the green dial. Asked for it first, but the blue is just a smidge behind and I can actually get it, and for a large discount. That to me is a win. I can't play the speculation games. I have a few nice pieces that are hot, and most of them I got early enough that things hadn't gone completely crazy. Now though, I just zero in on what I like and try to stay mostly out of the line of fire of the FOMO watches. If I get this PM my last four watches will be (in order): Discontinued 2007 Cellini Prince (unloved), Speedy Pro TinTin (non-Rolex), non "hot" Rolex PM, and the Barakuda (non-Rolex).

I find it is much more enjoyable to look for the less loved models and outside of Rolex while the market remains this overheated. Not going to lie, I am on "the list" for a SS Daytona (years likely), a Blue dial SkyD (probably removing myself if I get this PM Blue dial), and may add myself back to the SS BLRO list since I didn't get the WG version. To be honest, I don't much care when or if I get the calls.

Watch money is gone for this year, and next year I am seriously thinking Panerai or AP. Perhaps Rolex is doing many of us a favor letting us enjoy other brands for awhile.
♛ Day Date 228206 Ice Blue ♛ Submariner 11610LV Kermit Flat 4 ♛ Sea Dweller 126600 SD43 MKI ♛ Sea Dweller 116600 SD4K ♛ GMT 116710BLNR Batman ♛ Explorer II 216570 Polar ♛ Daytona 116520 White ♛ Daytona 116509 Blue (awaiting) Ω Speedy Pro "Tintin"

Old 19 July 2019, 06:08 AM   #393
indycole
2019 Pledge Member

Just curious if anyone has opinions on the titanium case 5015 vs. the steel? I've been on the hunt for months and haven't come across the titanium in person (in either color). I'm torn between the brushed finish and sapphire case back on the titanium versus the more classic vibe of the steel.
indycole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 06:49 AM   #394
the_natural
"TRF" Member

Watch: Just a few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
I find it is much more enjoyable to look for the less loved models and outside of Rolex while the market remains this overheated.
This. Couldn't agree more. I got my very much unloved Speedmaster 3594 (on 1499 bracelet) for a great deal at the beginning of the year, and man I love the thing. It had even been recently serviced to boot.

Quote:
Not going to lie, I am on "the list" for a SS Daytona (years likely), a Blue dial SkyD (probably removing myself if I get this PM Blue dial), and may add myself back to the SS BLRO list since I didn't get the WG version. To be honest, I don't much care when or if I get the calls.
I, too, am on the Daytona list, and don't care much if I ever get the call.

Quote:
Perhaps Rolex is doing many of us a favor letting us enjoy other brands for awhile.
Totally. I lost interest in Rolex before things got really nutty, and I'm really glad that happened, because man there are some killer watches out there once you get outside of the big marketing brands (and, admittedly, I don't want something everyone else has anyway).
the_natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 07:12 AM   #395
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

I'm with both of you. You take advantage of the current environment (in life, work and watches). The over inflation of certain models/brands means undervaluation of other models/ brands. As long as you find something you like, there are great deals to be had.

I also typically get turned off from things that become too popular. This current environment has soured me a bit to Rolex, AP and PP. I'm using it as the perfect opportunity to look into devalued brands like Lange and Moser.
Old 19 July 2019, 08:03 PM   #396
Swaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_natural View Post
This. Couldn't agree more. I got my very much unloved Speedmaster 3594 (on 1499 bracelet) for a great deal at the beginning of the year, and man I love the thing. It had even been recently serviced to boot.

I, too, am on the Daytona list, and don't care much if I ever get the call.

Totally. I lost interest in Rolex before things got really nutty, and I'm really glad that happened, because man there are some killer watches out there once you get outside of the big marketing brands (and, admittedly, I don't want something everyone else has anyway).
Good post. I'll be honest...I haven't lost interest in Rolex, I am a complete nut for Rolex. I just realized that chasing and paying WAY over MSRP for watches doesn't work for me. I have a decent sized collection though so easier for me to say that than someone just getting into collecting.

With the market being what it is it seemed the perfect time to look around at unloved models and other brands. I am enjoying it. Always wanted a FF, but if the market was relatively normal I would have spent that 14K on a CHNR or something else. So maybe a blessing to not be able to get much from Rolex right now.
♛ Day Date 228206 Ice Blue ♛ Submariner 11610LV Kermit Flat 4 ♛ Sea Dweller 126600 SD43 MKI ♛ Sea Dweller 116600 SD4K ♛ GMT 116710BLNR Batman ♛ Explorer II 216570 Polar ♛ Daytona 116520 White ♛ Daytona 116509 Blue (awaiting) Ω Speedy Pro "Tintin"

Old 19 July 2019, 08:05 PM   #397
Swaye

Quote:
I'm with both of you. You take advantage of the current environment (in life, work and watches). The over inflation of certain models/brands means undervaluation of other models/ brands. As long as you find something you like, there are great deals to be had.

I also typically get turned off from things that become too popular. This current environment has soured me a bit to Rolex, AP and PP. I'm using it as the perfect opportunity to look into devalued brands like Lange and Moser.
Have a watch friend whose opinion I really respect and he, having had both Patek and Lange, swears that Lange is every bit the watch Patek is, and in some cases more, for less. I've never played with either, so I have no opinion, but I trust his.

And Moser are just cool.

Old 19 July 2019, 08:21 PM   #398
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Agree and i'm playing with a similar idee. Unload some of my popular pieces for Lange. I can exchange my BLRO and just received 126710blnr for a Datagraph 403.035 (pre-owned) for example which is crazy. On the other hand, who knows 35/40K is the bottom for a 403.035. Maybe it drops further. I dont see Rolex SS prices dropping soon.
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote