The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 October 2010, 03:11 PM   #1
GreenTechGuy

Watch: Day Date, Daytona
Hives

3 times over the past few weeks have broke out in mild hives on legs probably the most itchy thing i have experienced.

I cant seem to trace the problem, i am a creature of habit and nothing really changes in my routine ever. in the past few weeks i have started taking welbutrin to help me quite smoking but from what i have read online welbutrin does not cause hives. Also according to what ive read stress does not cause them either. Also its something that has never popped up before 3 weeks ago was the first time ever. Any of you guys ever had these pop up before?
GreenTechGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2010, 10:27 PM   #2
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTechGuy View Post
3 times over the past few weeks have broke out in mild hives on legs probably the most itchy thing i have experienced.

I cant seem to trace the problem, i am a creature of habit and nothing really changes in my routine ever. in the past few weeks i have started taking welbutrin to help me quite smoking but from what i have read online welbutrin does not cause hives. Also according to what ive read stress does not cause them either. Also its something that has never popped up before 3 weeks ago was the first time ever. Any of you guys ever had these pop up before?
Yes, I've had them on two occasions in my life. They can really be a miserable affliction and a quality of life issue! And often, their cause is a complete mystery, and they're known to go away for no known reason, too.

The first time, after more than two years of seeing different doctors, being on different medications, and trying some lifestyle changes, it was finally traced to the use of a copper IUD! It was removed and soon the hives went away. Second time, I have no idea why they returned. After nearly a year of them, I got pregnant and they went away again. That was about 8 years ago.

I suggest you get your IUD removed and try to get pregnant.

Uh, wait....

Seriously, I'm sorry you're going through this. I'd try seeing an allergist first, and to keep wracking your brain to determine if you're coming into contact with anything new or different. Plus, I wouldn't be too quick to believe Wellbutrin doesn't have a role in this.
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2010, 10:30 PM   #3
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTechGuy View Post

Don't know about the hives, but youˇll have a blast getting off the Welbutrin..

Why the hell do they prescribe antidepressants to quit smoking, when weaning off them is worse than quitting smoking in the first place? Some doctors
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2010, 11:38 PM   #4
Damage Inc.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mechanical!!
Any changes in laundry detergent, additives, or dryer sheets? New products in the shower? Lotions or other 'beauty/self-care' products? Been mowing the lawn or anything of that sort (especially in shorts)?

As for the Welbutrin...medications can have very odd and 'rare' side effects that are not/under reported. If there are no other changes you can ID then my $0.02 would be to stop taking the pharmaceuticals.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i202/tonelar/watches/club/gmtoc.jpg
Z-serial GMT IIc
2.92M serial 1675 Pepsi
V-serial 16610LV
Damage Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2010, 11:45 PM   #5
rsg
"TRF" Member

I occasionally break out in hives, it happens every four or five years for no apparent reason. I've had them so bad that I was given IV steroids at the hospital.
If you have had them for a while and are truly miserable your doc can get you a course of oral steroids that will clear it up in a day or two.
rsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2010, 12:08 AM   #6
Lisa
"TRF" Member

So here are two things that have changed in your life recently: The introduction of a new medicine and the cessation of cigarette smoking. I'd think the lack of nicotine could be quite a stress on your system. IMO.
Old 26 October 2010, 12:19 AM   #7
Lisa
"TRF" Member

GT Guy - try a google search for "bupropion urticaria." Bupropion is the same thing as Wellbutrin and urticaria means hives. There were quite a few references on the medical sites about hives as a side effect of the medicine.

Best of luck to you!
Old 26 October 2010, 12:24 AM   #8
ducatidoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: zenith
'bout 4 years ago, had a major case of hives, including internal. My dermatologist told me he didn't care about the cause, just the treatment, which in my case was prescription anti-histamines. Worked like a charm, never came back, never did know what brought them on.

# 26371
NAWCC Member
ducatidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2010, 02:17 AM   #9
axxeman01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv
My lil guy had his first case of hives the other day. We determined it was sausage that did it. It was odd, benedryl made it go away, but it would come back. This went on for a few days (3) before it was finally cleared up and hasn't returned.

- Chris
axxeman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2010, 02:30 AM   #10
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
Actually hives (urticaria) are a known side effect of Wellbutrin and is reported as an Allergic Reaction on the warning label. Wellbutrin is the most likely cause of your itchy hives. I would contact your Doctor immediately and talk to him about it.
mtrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2010, 03:02 AM   #11
Nicko
Banned

OK, my advice is to stay the hell away from this garbage! Antidepressants are highly addictive and unless you truly need them you should stay away. They are bad news. Just a friendly word of advice. Get another opinion before continuing this course of treatment.
Old 26 October 2010, 03:15 AM   #12
doc_colton
"TRF" Member

If you've been on the Wellbutrin for a while don't discontinue the use abruptly, the withdrawl symptoms could make the hives the least of your worries. It usually takes 8 to 10 weeks with gradual decreases in dosage to get off them. As always, consult you physician
Old 26 October 2010, 03:17 AM   #13
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_colton View Post
If you've been on the Wellbutrin for a while don't discontinue the use abruptly, the withdrawl symptoms could make the hives the least of your worries. It usually takes 8 to 10 weeks with gradual decreases in dosage to get off them. As always, consult you physician
I quit twice (Lexapro) which is basically the same things and I will tell you, you will wish you were dead. It's simply horrible. Body and brain "shocks" make even doing the most simple task almost impossible. Not fun.
Old 26 October 2010, 03:52 AM   #14
axxeman01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv
Whatever you do don't switch to Chiantix, I took it for smoking cessation and it made me suicidal!
axxeman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2010, 03:59 AM   #15
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
OK, my advice is to stay the hell away from this garbage! Antidepressants are highly addictive and unless you truly need them you should stay away. They are bad news. Just a friendly word of advice. Get another opinion before continuing this course of treatment.
Not sure what you mean by "antidepressants are highly addictive." Why do you think so?

Keep in mind, the OP is taking them to help him quit smoking (and it is a proven effective med for this use). Quitting smoking is probably the single best thing you can do for your health. If you have to take meds to accomplish this, it's worth it.
Old 26 October 2010, 04:58 AM   #16
GreenTechGuy

I guess i will stop taking the wellbutrin, maybe smoking isnt so bad after all.
Old 26 October 2010, 06:09 AM   #17
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
Not sure what you mean by "antidepressants are highly addictive." Why do you think so?

Keep in mind, the OP is taking them to help him quit smoking (and it is a proven effective med for this use). Quitting smoking is probably the single best thing you can do for your health. If you have to take meds to accomplish this, it's worth it.
Addictive is an understatement. I agree, quitting smoking is one of the best things you can do for your body but read up on these drugs before you comment please. They are HIGHLY addictive and weaning off of them is hell. I know.
Old 26 October 2010, 06:27 AM   #18
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Addictive is an understatement. I agree, quitting smoking is one of the best things you can do for your body but read up on these drugs before you comment please. They are HIGHLY addictive and weaning off of them is hell. I know.
I have read up on them and have taken a few different kinds over the years so I am perfectly comfortable with commenting. If you taper the dosage and wean off of them correctly the withdrawal effects are minimized for most people. I'm still wanting to know what you mean by "highly addictive." To me, addictive means that you have to keep taking more and more of a medicine to get the desired effect. This is true of many narcotics, but not of these newer antidepressants.
Old 26 October 2010, 07:45 PM   #19
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
I have read up on them and have taken a few different kinds over the years so I am perfectly comfortable with commenting. If you taper the dosage and wean off of them correctly the withdrawal effects are minimized for most people. I'm still wanting to know what you mean by "highly addictive." To me, addictive means that you have to keep taking more and more of a medicine to get the desired effect. This is true of many narcotics, but not of these newer antidepressants.
: the quality or state of being addicted

: compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance (as heroin, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal; broadly : persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful

Lisa, will you stop beating a dead horse please. Addiction means just that. Pertaining to a drug whose repeated use may produce addiction. Plain and simple. It's better to wean off cigarettes than to wean off medication. You are feeding one addiction for another. These "new" medications ARE addictive, you just don't choose to believe it and let the pharmaceutical companies tell you differently. Of course they're addictive, if they weren't then you could just stop them and nothing would happen. Please, let it rest.
Old 26 October 2010, 10:13 PM   #20
Lisa
"TRF" Member

I'm done with this discussion as well because you and I are seeing apples and oranges. To lump an antidepressant like Wellbutrin into the same category as "heroin, nicotine, or alcohol" is just silly, from a medical standpoint. Look on the medical websites - the real ones - and you won't see the term "highly addictive" in them anywhere. Just because a medicine can cause symptoms if you abruptly stop taking them does not mean it's "highly addictive."

Apparently you are very passionate about the subject because your poor experience with the meds. But please don't be so quick to attack these kinds of medicines and the people who use them. My experience with them was very different and I can fairly say I owe my life to them.
Old 26 October 2010, 10:21 PM   #21
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
Quote:
: the quality or state of being addicted

: compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance (as heroin, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal; broadly : persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful

Lisa, will you stop beating a dead horse please. Addiction means just that. Pertaining to a drug whose repeated use may produce addiction. Plain and simple. It's better to wean off cigarettes than to wean off medication. You are feeding one addiction for another. These "new" medications ARE addictive, you just don't choose to believe it and let the pharmaceutical companies tell you differently. Of course they're addictive, if they weren't then you could just stop them and nothing would happen. Please, let it rest.
My career actually centers around drug development, specifically the development of cancer vaccines and adjuvant therapies. I work for a non-profit cancer research institute so I am not being brain washed by the pharmaceticual companies. Even though I work in cancer vaccine development I have a thorough understanding of most drug classes.

Antidepressants are often mistaken as addictive but they are not. Antidepressants are not considered addictive because they’re not habit forming and don’t create cravings or drug-seeking behavior. Like Lisa mentioned you do not have to continue to increase the dose to get a desired effect. Perhaps one of the reasons people falsely believe antidepressants are addictive is because abruptly stopping antidepressants can cause withdrawal-like symptoms, such as fatigue, nausea, dizziness and irritability. Even though these symptoms are sometimes referred to as antidepressant withdrawal, the proper term for these symptoms is discontinuation syndrome. No one knows exactly why discontinuation syndrome occurs, but it is believed to occur because of a temporary deficiency of serotonin caused by no longer using the drug and the down-regulation of postsynaptic receptors.
mtrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2010, 12:09 AM   #22
Nicko
Banned

Agree to disagree. End of story.

Quote:
I'm done with this discussion as well because you and I are seeing apples and oranges. To lump an antidepressant like Wellbutrin into the same category as "heroin, nicotine, or alcohol" is just silly, from a medical standpoint. Look on the medical websites - the real ones - and you won't see the term "highly addictive" in them anywhere. Just because a medicine can cause symptoms if you abruptly stop taking them does not mean it's "highly addictive."

Apparently you are very passionate about the subject because your poor experience with the meds. But please don't be so quick to attack these kinds of medicines and the people who use them. My experience with them was very different and I can fairly say I owe my life to them.
Old 27 October 2010, 01:26 AM   #23
Roley
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Take a look at Cholinergic urticaria.....this may be what your experiencing. Anti-histamines, and Benedryl will help.
Roley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2010, 05:24 AM   #24
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
My word of advice is to never seek medical advice on a internet forum.

Contact your medical professional immediately, if not sooner.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2010, 05:46 AM   #25
GreenTechGuy

I did not intend on instigating an argument. You guys are insightful, and most are older than me i think therefore have experienced more than i have. This is totally new to me, and as far as the wellbutrin i stopped taking it and im not really freaking out or anything and i am still where i was as far as smoking goes im down to about 4-7 per day from 1-2 packs a day im satisfied with that at this time.