The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 February 2019, 10:37 AM   #1
JeremyS
"TRF" Member

New Arrival: Planet Ocean GMT

Thanks to another member, I recently picked up another Omega at a great price, and my first GMT (sorry Tudor; got tired of waiting). The Planet Ocean GMT (2016) is a Master Chronometer with the 8906 movement. There's no getting around the fact this is a big watch.

However, Omega uses a few tricks to keep it manageable, even on a flat 6.7' wrist. First, the back of the watch is a bit thinner than the previous version, and it tends to sink into the wrist. Second, Omega wisely shortened the lugs. Despite it's 43.5mm size, this watch has a lug-to-lug distance that's equal to the Tudor Black Bay at 50mm. In fact, it's the same lug-to-lug distance as the new Seamaster Pro. Fits nicely under the cuff, unless you wear very tight, fitted shirts. Omega also uses angles and alternating finishes to break up the middle case.

The black dial is ceramic ZrO2, as discreetly noted on the dial.

It uses the same clasp as the regular Planet Ocean divers' watches, which smartly extends and retracts at the push of a button.

This is a great watch, and the service was superb!! Truly, less than gray, but still an AD. I have no affiliation with the seller, but hit me up if you want some contact info. There are a number of other Planet Oceans, including ceramics and chronographs.
JeremyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 11:17 AM   #2
MikeyV
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41 TT
Amazing. The dials on these latest Planet Oceans are just so dreamy. I just want to get in there and climb up and down on all that 3D stuff in there.

Pictures do not do them justice. They're spectacular in person. As you know. :)

Congrats.
MikeyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 01:10 PM   #3
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Very nice! I love the black and white bezel

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 01:52 PM   #4
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Yeah man, congrats again!
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 03:41 PM   #5
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Looks good on your wrist.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 08:17 PM   #6
JeremyS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Yeah man, congrats again!
Thanks, Adam. I’m not sure my wallet thanks you, as it was hoping for more of a breather after the SMP I snagged back in December. But, couldn’t say no to this deal. It’s the only GMT I have in my collection. Now, I need to see if I can snag the strap for it, too.
Old 1 February 2019, 10:56 PM   #7
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Great looking Omega, congrats.
Old 9 February 2019, 03:05 AM   #8
Jarredmpayne
"TRF" Member

What size is your wrist? Looks good.
Jarredmpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2019, 06:26 AM   #9
JeremyS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarredmpayne View Post
What size is your wrist? Looks good.
Thank you! I’m only like 6.7”. It fits surprisingly well. I think Omega did a great job with the 2016 Planet Oceans. Sure, I’d like them a tad thinner, but the case-back tends to sink into my wrist for the most part, so it’s not as high as one might think. Also, as annoying as the He valve is to many people, it breaks-up the side of the case a bit. Overall, I’m very happy with it.

The timekeeping has been a bit on the slow side: close to 5 seconds per day behind. It might improve; if not, that’s the advantage of having bought from an AD.
Old 9 February 2019, 07:17 AM   #10
agentmeister5
"TRF" Member

Congrats!
agentmeister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2019, 10:23 AM   #11
lawrence1
"TRF" Member

Almost bought that one but decided to wait for a speedmaster. Looks great! Wear it in good health.
lawrence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2019, 12:47 PM   #12
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyS View Post
Thanks to another member, I recently picked up another Omega at a great price, and my first GMT (sorry Tudor; got tired of waiting). The Planet Ocean GMT (2016) is a Master Chronometer with the 8906 movement. There's no getting around the fact this is a big watch.

However, Omega uses a few tricks to keep it manageable, even on a flat 6.7' wrist. First, the back of the watch is a bit thinner than the previous version, and it tends to sink into the wrist. Second, Omega wisely shortened the lugs. Despite it's 43.5mm size, this watch has a lug-to-lug distance that's equal to the Tudor Black Bay at 50mm. In fact, it's the same lug-to-lug distance as the new Seamaster Pro. Fits nicely under the cuff, unless you wear very tight, fitted shirts. Omega also uses angles and alternating finishes to break up the middle case.

It uses the same clasp as the regular Planet Ocean divers' watches, which smartly extends and retracts at the push of a button.

This is a great watch, and the service was superb!! Truly, less than gray, but still an AD. I have no affiliation with the seller, but hit me up if you want some contact info. There are a number of other Planet Oceans, including ceramics and chronographs.

They really need some red on that dial.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2019, 03:12 PM   #13
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Beautiful! Congrats!
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 04:32 AM   #14
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Nice watch! As you write, it's large but Omega does a great job in not making it looks huge and it looks fine on your wrist. Congratulations.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2019, 05:22 AM   #15
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyS View Post

That’s a great looking PO. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11 February 2019, 05:54 AM   #16
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer
Very nice watch, the contrasting monochrome is awesome.
Rolex moved to its furthest point of being a tool watch. The new Sea-Dweller and Meteorite GMT seem best suited for raising PGA trophies, and that might be the closest we get to one anyway.
DramaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2019, 08:46 AM   #17
timlaw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Coke 16710
looks great

I am a bit of a GMT fanatic and love Omega but I could not pull the trigger as when I tried it on I could not feel comfortable with the balance of the watch as I found it just too thick I was so disappointed as the watch looks spectacular

that "top heavy" feeling was the reason I sold my speedy mark II for the new SMP 300

124060 Submariner, 16710 Coke, 16570 Black dial, Datejust 41 Wimbledon dial, Tudor Black Bay GMT, Tudor Black Bay 58 Blue, Tudor Black Bay 58 925, Tudor Prince Date Chronograph (panda dial)
timlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2019, 08:49 AM   #18
turbineboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Angelus, AP, Breit
Congratulations. A fine watch.

I have been quite impressed and pleased with omega PO line as of late. They seem to be getting their act together. I have the 45mm PO and am hoping to add a Seamaster 300 chronograph soon.
turbineboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 02:21 AM   #19
jcatlas
"TRF" Member

Watch: Today? Sea-Dweller
That's a great looking GMT, much better looking than the GMT Tudor IMO. Congratulations, wear it in good health.
Old 14 February 2019, 06:49 AM   #20
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Good looking watch! Congratulations
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 02:18 AM   #21
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
The full-sized 600M case just doesn't cut it for me. If only the AT150 GMT had a rotating bezel....
Old 15 February 2019, 05:44 AM   #22
JeremyS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
The full-sized 600M case just doesn't cut it for me. If only the AT150 GMT had a rotating bezel....
Do you mean because of the thickness, or the case diameter? The current AT GMT is 43mm, so there’s only a 0.5mm different in the diameter. But, since there’s no bezel in the AT, the dial is larger than the PO’s. Tthe AT is 1mm longer because of the lugs. Thickness-wise, I agree. The PO is a beast at 17mm or so. The AT is around 14mm.
Old 9 April 2019, 02:43 AM   #23
shalako
"TRF" Member

I have the same watch, love it. I also have the Rolex CHNR GMT and in my humble opinion this is just as good, would be interesting if Watchtime Magazine or whoever did a head to head with this one and the Rolex Ceramic GMT because I’m not convinced the Rolex would win, both superb GMT’s.

shalako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 04:10 AM   #24
RedwinGV
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smstr 600m BigBlue
I get what you're saying about size. I have a Big Blue (yeah, not for everyone) but it wears so much smaller than one might think. For me, I really notice it in pics. It appears so much larger in the pics, but when I look at my wrist and feel it too, it seems to shrink by 25%. I wonder if it's because the lugs and straps angle down as opposed to being flat?
Old 10 April 2019, 09:55 AM   #25
jer276
Banned

Wow this watch is so clean and it looks really good. Very nice, Congrats.
jer276 is offline   Reply With Quote