The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 10 June 2022, 12:55 PM   #1
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
New Arnies

So, it’s hard to wrap my mind around the new Arnie Divers. The SNJ037 apparently is supposed to be the 40th anniversary of the hybrid divers, but in some ways it’s not. The H558 was released in 1982 and the current releases appear to pay homage to the H601, which was from what I understand was release in the late 1980's and less robust than the H558.

I understand the push for solar and that the solar may be behind the slightly larger and thicker proportions in the recent arnies. However, why did they not stick closer to the original and release something akin to the 1986 35th anniversary tuna which stuck closer to the original. Seiko still does use quartz movements with batteries and could have given us a closer homage to the H558 or released an anniversary model with the orange dial and did not. I mean it’s hard to understand because they have released like a dozen Willard’s at this point which are pretty close to the original, same for the turtles but are not really hitting the mark with the Arnie’s as they seem to be more reinterpretations than recreations.

I also feel that the lume near the digital display is oddly cut off with these new versions, which did not happen on the H558 or the 2019 SNJ models.

I guess these are leaving me disappointed and feel that they missed the mark here. How are others feeling about these?
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2022, 01:32 PM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I thought they looked pretty impressive when I saw them on Anthony Kable's IG the other day: https://www.instagram.com/p/Ceh34yvPS06/

He says: "The movement continues to include the solar, dual time, alarm and stopwatch functionality, and now adds a depth sensor, thermometer, and dive log capability. The watch will record up to 100 dives, noting the start, dive duration, minimum water temp, average and maximum depths.... If the diver ascends too quickly during a dive the watch will sound an alarm and show SLOW on the display."

Sounds like a serious dive watch.
Old 10 June 2022, 08:57 PM   #3
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like the new releases and am on the list at my AD to get the SS on bracelet and the blackout one. I own four from the last release and they are tough, fun and a good value for me. I have a tendency to look at things for what they are, not what they are not. This helps me enjoy a lot of things in life, not just watches. Seiko is hitting it hard this week with new releases. The collection will only get larger.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2022, 10:03 PM   #4
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I thought they looked pretty impressive when I saw them on Anthony Kable's IG the other day: https://www.instagram.com/p/Ceh34yvPS06/

He says: "The movement continues to include the solar, dual time, alarm and stopwatch functionality, and now adds a depth sensor, thermometer, and dive log capability. The watch will record up to 100 dives, noting the start, dive duration, minimum water temp, average and maximum depths.... If the diver ascends too quickly during a dive the watch will sound an alarm and show SLOW on the display."

Sounds like a serious dive watch.

Functional speaking there is no doubt they are on point. There is something about them, I prefer over a gshock and still find they wear smaller than just about any gshock outside of the Casio-Oak's and and 5600 series. I am assuming the proportions on these new releases will be the same and the 2019 arnie releases.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2022, 10:16 AM   #5
Reelandy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I like the new releases and am on the list at my AD to get the SS on bracelet and the blackout one. I own four from the last release and they are tough, fun and a good value for me. I have a tendency to look at things for what they are, not what they are not. This helps me enjoy a lot of things in life, not just watches. Seiko is hitting it hard this week with new releases. The collection will only get larger.

Well said, couldn’t agree more. My itch for an Arnie has only gotten worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reelandy is offline   Reply With Quote