The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 10 June 2022, 04:39 AM   #1
DMinor
"TRF" Member

Should I purchase GS White Birch full retail or wait?

Hi all,

I live in LA so I have the luxury of a GS boutique near me in Beverly Hills. I went there and the White Birch was truly a pretty watch. That said, I'm not trying to buy a watch that is so readily available that it will lose $2-3k on it the moment I walk out the door.

That said, I do wonder if the "you lose money on anything other than a rolex" talk is true. For example, is the White Birch so readily available that its a mass product which will eventually be available on the after market? Another example, would you say the mint Breightling Navitimer is going to tank in price? I'm unsure.

What is your take? Should I stop wasting time and pick up the GS White Birch from the local retailer before its gone? Or should I wait?
DMinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2022, 05:23 AM   #2
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Buy preowned
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2022, 05:39 AM   #3
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

If you're trying to get the best price out there, I'd say go pre-owned.

I wouldn't say the WB is as readily available as mass manufactured watches like Seiko etc. since Grand Seiko did take a while to get supply out there and they have claimed it isn't a watch that they can make too many of annually because of the movement.
thesingularity7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2022, 06:43 AM   #4
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
The Birch is a lovely watch. I enjoy mine very much. It’s not readily available in the markets that I live in. Resale isn’t as important to me as it is to others. But until this recent market dip I have been satisfied with what I have been able to resell harder to get GS’s at price wise.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2022, 07:25 AM   #5
duquephart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Snowflake
If you love the watch and bought it to wear you have lost nothing.
duquephart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2022, 09:10 PM   #6
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
If it is about price then pre-owned. But a lot of issues can arise but if you get it from a legit seller then you should be ok. Buying brand new for a much desired watch at the Boutique should eliminate any issues that may arise. You will pay for this, 10-20%, between new and pre-owned but that maybe the way to go. You can also get on the phone and start calling AD's in smaller markets and seeing if they have the watch and will discount and ship to you. A lot of work but if that is what you want or need to do then get on the phone. I would just go down to the Boutique, have them size the watch, buy it and start enjoying it. The price will take care of itself. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2022, 02:13 AM   #7
Oatmeal123
"TRF" Member

One question - which model are you interested in purchasing? 005 or 009? For the 005 - I just purchased it! Absolutely love it! However, be mindful that multiple reports have confirmed many of these have slight - moderate accuracy issues. Right now mine is + 12-15 seconds per day. I'm still in the break-in period. However, I'm very glad I got from an AD just in case. I also really love building relationships with the AD so not sure if that is something you enjoy as well, but worth noting!
Oatmeal123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2022, 07:49 AM   #8
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmeal123 View Post
One question - which model are you interested in purchasing? 005 or 009? For the 005 - I just purchased it! Absolutely love it! However, be mindful that multiple reports have confirmed many of these have slight - moderate accuracy issues. Right now mine is + 12-15 seconds per day. I'm still in the break-in period. However, I'm very glad I got from an AD just in case. I also really love building relationships with the AD so not sure if that is something you enjoy as well, but worth noting!
All my GS are very accurate and I own a few. I have had two go bad. One stopped working the next morning after purchase. Another, a spring drive was running extremely fast. The second hand was taking a few seconds to go around sixty seconds, was strange to see. Both were purchased at my AD who promptly got me new replacements.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2022, 11:30 AM   #9
Oatmeal123
"TRF" Member

That's great! All of mine are super accurate as well! Just this one! It's no big deal, I love it! Just noting so that the poster is up to date on the multiple reports and known accuracy deviations for the hi beat in the 005! There are a lot of threads on it on reddit, watchuseek, and elsewhere so just offering my advice to try and go with an AD in case there is an issue :)
Oatmeal123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2022, 12:08 AM   #10
chickennho
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone
I bought mine with 10% discount :D AD gave me a travel pouch as a gift :D
chickennho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2022, 04:22 AM   #11
DMinor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmeal123 View Post
Thanks for the input.
DMinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2022, 04:41 AM   #12
Jimbo
Banned

Wait. Prices are falling, and most of GS' models depreciate in cost. I do not see the WB bucking that trend.

I would love to own one, but not right now.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote