The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 July 2022, 11:38 PM   #121
RogerOP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchnut73 View Post
I agree!

I know someone Very recently) registered for a classic piece...had it within two months then registered for another timepiece had that very soon after.. its all down to mangers discretion, who the client is etc... none of what OP mentions

everyone just gets dragged in and believes what they are told,
This is about sports models.

Confirmed again last weekend at Goldsmiths. Same rhetoric.
RogerOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 11:54 PM   #122
Rolly.BT
"TRF" Member

I believe this to be true as I've had to register my "EOI" (expression of interest) for the first time a couple months ago. Asked why, said was new company process. I did end up getting the 2 OPs and Polar that I wanted.
Rolly.BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2022, 05:30 PM   #123
Watchout1605
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yacht Master 42 YG
A new AD just opened up near me. I registered a month ago at another WOS further away so wanted to move my registration. On Friday, I went in and was told explicitly that it’s two watches a year - given the waiting times, I wasn’t that bothered.
I put myself down for a DJ41 and a YM40. Yesterday I got the call for the DJ41 and pick it up today! Now… considering how quickly that happened, I’m now wondering where I see if I can wangle a grail watch as my second piece; or do I wait patiently for a couple of years?
I was told I could not register for any of the sought after models.

Amazing how I’ve waited months elsewhere at other ADs and this happened so quickly. Coincidentally, first time I’ve gone into an AD wearing my
YM42..!
Watchout1605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2022, 05:54 PM   #124
Game Hunter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Complete and utter nonsense all ADs are in business for one thing only and thats to sell as many of there products to all that enters there retail store.
I think you might have jumped in a bit early without understanding the principle at work

AD's maximise revenue by treating their VIP customers differently. They do this is the same way airlines provide benefits for frequent flyers. They sell desirable watches to people who have proven to support their revenue model over time.

You might have missed that.
Game Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2022, 06:05 PM   #125
Tanalasta
"TRF" Member

I’ve heard similar.

Rationed allocations rather than the whales taking their choice whimsy.

Although if said whale wanted a PM piece nobody else wanted that’s fair game. So a bit of leeway.

Maybe it opens ownership to those who want a Rolex to mark an occasion or because they’ve always wanted that one and only. And not because it opens up to more people to flip. I’ve seen a few 2022 models on FB groups that make me raise eyebrows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tanalasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2022, 07:17 PM   #126
blatchcorn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchout1605 View Post
A new AD just opened up near me. I registered a month ago at another WOS further away so wanted to move my registration. On Friday, I went in and was told explicitly that it’s two watches a year - given the waiting times, I wasn’t that bothered.
I put myself down for a DJ41 and a YM40. Yesterday I got the call for the DJ41 and pick it up today! Now… considering how quickly that happened, I’m now wondering where I see if I can wangle a grail watch as my second piece; or do I wait patiently for a couple of years?
I was told I could not register for any of the sought after models.

Amazing how I’ve waited months elsewhere at other ADs and this happened so quickly. Coincidentally, first time I’ve gone into an AD wearing my
YM42..!
Battersea? I wouldn't over think it, ask for what you want
blatchcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2022, 07:25 PM   #127
Darcey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Complete and utter nonsense all ADs are in business for one thing only and thats to sell as many of there products to all that enters there retail store.
This is simply not true. Not even close. Rolex dealers don't operate on the absurd model built on the randomness of some suburban meat raffle. There will be isolated exceptions but dealers work to reward VIPs, not give some schmuck a lottery win by handing out Daytonas at retail to unknown walk-ins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Hunter View Post
I think you might have jumped in a bit early without understanding the principle at work

AD's maximise revenue by treating their VIP customers differently. They do this is the same way airlines provide benefits for frequent flyers. They sell desirable watches to people who have proven to support their revenue model over time.

Agreed.

There is no sane Rolex dealer who would roll out a Daytona or a GMT for the next customer randomly walking through the door who happens to ask for it. That bears no relationship to the real world experience of anybody on this board is having and anybody who tries to buy such a watch will experience this directly in 98% of cases. It would be self destructive for any dealer to mindlessly do that. They choose customers to receive in demand watches who have shown evidence that they have the resources and commitment to being loyal and consistent in buying.
Darcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2022, 07:48 PM   #128
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
As someone whos been operating under this system in Japan (1 SS Sport model per year), one thing that needs to be clarified because some people misunderstand is that it is not that you are allocated one per year. So even with this new rule, one can be waiting 1-2, even 3 years for a Sport watch. Its not a guarantee to get 1 per year.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2022, 09:19 AM   #129
rockysw
"TRF" Member

Quote:

the difference is transparency. So I dont think it is the same. With an airline, I know what my points are where I stand. With ADs, I have no idea where I am on the list (if at all) or if they are selling it to customers who spend less than me (just because they like them more than me :D) or selling directly to gray.
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2022, 12:00 PM   #130
Game Hunter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockysw View Post
the difference is transparency. So I dont think it is the same. With an airline, I know what my points are where I stand. With ADs, I have no idea where I am on the list (if at all) or if they are selling it to customers who spend less than me (just because they like them more than me :D) or selling directly to gray.
I agree with some of your point about transparency. Up to a point. My frequent flyer program tells me how many points to get a toaster and I can do that any day. To get a business class seat or an upgrade to first class, they are not transparent at all. Receiving those benefits are hit and miss for even the highest tier flyer based on load, seasonality and the goodwill check in agents and lounge staff.

But my level of frequent flyer membership makes me the most likely person on any given flight to score those benefits. Airlines don't upgrade the first three people who check in that day from their $165 holiday ticket. Same at the AD. No guarantees but VIP customers are the most likely out of heir client pool to score the Daytona.

Any yes, that doesn't factor them selling to greys but for the really elite spenders, they'd be crazy not to make accommodations for them on watches they want. AD's factor overall spend, longevity of relationship, the mix of spend on diamonds, watches and such. Some product lines deliver super margins.

The idea put forward by the guy claiming the first person who walks in the door is going to get the prize as a revenue maximising strategy is absurd and bears no relationship to the real world economics of servicing high net worth customers with a limited pool of product.
Game Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2022, 12:33 PM   #131
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
I agree with some of your point about transparency. Up to a point. My frequent flyer program tells me how many points to get a toaster and I can do that any day. To get a business class seat or an upgrade to first class, they are not transparent at all. Receiving those benefits are hit and miss for even the highest tier flyer based on load, seasonality and the goodwill check in agents and lounge staff.

But my level of frequent flyer membership makes me the most likely person on any given flight to score those benefits. Airlines don't upgrade the first three people who check in that day from their $165 holiday ticket. Same at the AD. No guarantees but VIP customers are the most likely out of heir client pool to score the Daytona.

Any yes, that doesn't factor them selling to greys but for the really elite spenders, they'd be crazy not to make accommodations for them on watches they want. AD's factor overall spend, longevity of relationship, the mix of spend on diamonds, watches and such. Some product lines deliver super margins.

The idea put forward by the guy claiming the first person who walks in the door is going to get the prize as a revenue maximising strategy is absurd and bears no relationship to the real world economics of servicing high net worth customers with a limited pool of product.

These are all excellent points.

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2022, 12:38 PM   #132
Goodfella54
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innocenti View Post
Only register interest if your an existing client .
So you have to buy something else before they will even put your name down for a Rolex.

That right there is enough reason for me to never step foot in one of their shops again.
This.
Goodfella54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2022, 12:25 AM   #133
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Why do people think the grey market is getting hurt by this? They still make margins on their watches because they just move to a consignment model.

Others say grey market hurts Rolex. Exactly the opposite! The stronger the secondary market prices, the stronger Rolex sales because every buyer knows they can buy with the security of the grey market safety net in case they need to sell.

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2023, 11:39 PM   #134
fatcows7
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC / AP
Thought I'd revive this thread.

At one of other large rolex ADs in London - either you spend 50K minimum (cumulative of all rolexes + other brands) and then you can become eligible for a daytona. Someone bought a 15k+ watch and got a BLNR.
fatcows7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2023, 11:46 PM   #135
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcows7 View Post
Thought I'd revive this thread.

At one of other large rolex ADs in London - either you spend 50K minimum (cumulative of all rolexes + other brands) and then you can become eligible for a daytona. Someone bought a 15k+ watch and got a BLNR.
I doubt this is true because you ant buy rolex to even get to 50k
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2023, 02:36 AM   #136
fatcows7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini2 View Post
I doubt this is true because you ant buy rolex to even get to 50k
No - you buy some other stuff and then they offer you a date just, then you just build up from there (with other brands) till you hit £50k.
Old 23 February 2023, 03:56 AM   #137
Spartyfan6262
"TRF" Member

These rules don't make sense. WOS would voluntarily close the circle on its customers, refuse to sell to new Rolex buyers, and will limit sales only to former Rolex customers? Seems to be a great move, only if you want to vastly limit sales revenue.
Spartyfan6262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2023, 04:12 AM   #138
HAPConst
Banned

The classifieds here is so much easier. Why anyone bothers with an AD is beyond me.
HAPConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2023, 07:02 AM   #139
RogerOP
Banned

Quote:
No - you buy some other stuff and then they offer you a date just, then you just build up from there (with other brands) till you hit £50k.
That’s total shit. No one is spending £50k on non-Rolex just to buy a SS sports joint.
Old 23 February 2023, 07:42 AM   #140
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Was told in a WOS where I bought two GMT’s over the last 5 years that if I want a BLRO now, then I need to up my spend and it’s staff in head office who decide if I’m eligible or not.

Asked me if i wanted a Tudor or anything else.

So I have 16 Rolex in the collection, have most of what I want in all honesty. Why the hell would I want to buy something just to please them so someone at head office can decide whether I’m a ‘worthy’ customer of a Rolex.

I’ve been wearing Rolex since before the AD sales assistant I was speaking to was born!

I was so disgusted, I will be writing a letter to Rolex GVA soon asking them to explain how a customer of their brand such as I should be handled in this way. The AD’s business card is in my wallet so I hope he’s got some good answers ready when the mothership look into it, which I hope they do.

Grey dealers are looking more attractive by the day. It just sickens me to have to deal with Rolex AD’s anymore ever.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2023, 07:57 AM   #141
knighty88
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
So I have 16 Rolex in the collection, have most of what I want in all honesty. Why the hell would I want to buy something just to please them so someone at head office can decide whether I’m a ‘worthy’ customer of a Rolex.
Here in lies the issue with any transaction… nobody wants to feel devalued or belittled/judged, especially when unloading thousands of ££ or $$ on an inanimate object!

The judgemental attitude of some in sales (all sales not just watch ADs or luxury sectors) is becoming all too much for my liking. I blame social media for people’s lack of courtesy, tolerance and patience.

I have to say my objection to the AD games atm is kind of a good thing, it means my hard earned ££ stays with me… well for now anyway!!
knighty88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2023, 09:00 AM   #142
fatcows7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerOP View Post
That’s total shit. No one is spending £50k on non-Rolex just to buy a SS sports joint.
That's what I was told - that's for the daytona, at the other large Rolex AD with multibrands. Don't shoot the messenger.

Its also cumulative with non-Rolex plus rolex. So say you got an Omega (£7.7k), that makes you kinda eligible for an DJ? (£7k?) and you're already at £14.7k. Then maybe you buy a JLC (£11k?) and then you're at £25.7k afterwhich they give you a BLNR -> ~£35k.

I guess the point is to get to the spend level where each incremental non-rolex watch you buy is basically "free."

Of course, my other SA at this AD in another location told me someone bought a 15k watch for BLNR and is now telling me that I need to buy a 25k watch to be eligible for BLNR -> this is honestly complete shit in my opinion.

I can't wait until the recession hits and they all lose their jobs.
Old 23 February 2023, 12:23 PM   #143
deat567
"TRF" Member

Watch: Skydweller
That sounds like it is taking the fun out of the whole thing.
deat567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2023, 04:44 PM   #144
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Was told in a WOS where I bought two GMT’s over the last 5 years that if I want a BLRO now, then I need to up my spend and it’s staff in head office who decide if I’m eligible or not.

Grey dealers are looking more attractive by the day. It just sickens me to have to deal with Rolex AD’s anymore ever.
I was told the same by an SA at WOS that I’ve purchased from but it was for Patek. My spending slowed down in 2021 due to me not fancying any of the new releases, when 2022 releases came out I asked about adding a few to my collection, I was told I would need to purchase other brands and then we could talk about being allocated Patek again. It felt very much like being blacklisted, not for flipping but for not constantly spending money with them.

Though I must admit when I was continuously spending money I was being offered access to good watches. The one thing I always disliked was how sales-y every interaction was.

LJubel328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2023, 05:42 PM   #145
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:

I’ve been wearing Rolex since before the AD sales assistant I was speaking to was born!

I was so disgusted, I will be writing a letter to Rolex GVA soon asking them to explain how a customer of their brand such as I should be handled in this way. The AD’s business card is in my wallet so I hope he’s got some good answers ready when the mothership look into it, which I hope they do.

No point writing to Rolex. They’re the manufacturer , not the retailer.
Rolex supply to WOS, and WOS decide how to allocate.

I’ve heard before of people moaning to Rolex, but their reply will be along the lines of of my comment above.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2023, 06:18 PM   #146
gramo
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Well done Mike, if more people wrote letters to Rolex I believe things would change, Please keep us informed how you get on, remember the power is with the people.
gramo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2023, 07:11 PM   #147
emtee
"TRF" Member

I'm so glad i'm not looking to buy a new Rolex from an AD these days, sounds like a horrible experience even if you can afford to spend 50K on stuff you don't really want lol
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2023, 07:31 PM   #148
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartyfan6262 View Post
These rules don't make sense. WOS would voluntarily close the circle on its customers, refuse to sell to new Rolex buyers, and will limit sales only to former Rolex customers? Seems to be a great move, only if you want to vastly limit sales revenue.
Its not limiting sales revenue at all. They're selling every watch they get.

WOS own the Rolex Boutique where I live. Since becoming a boutique their sales have increased from when they sold Rolex, Tudor, Omega and (I think it was Panerai) and have increased yearly since then. I know this because I know the manager there and he has been awarded (and rewarded) in recognition of his results.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2023, 07:38 PM   #149
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:

This is exactly why I went secondary market for my CHNR - and I really like the team in my local Rolex Boutique. But their hands are tied.

I'm just not willing to play by the rules WoS set, and the premium I paid was well worth it.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2023, 09:17 PM   #150
RogerOP
Banned

Quote:
That's what I was told - that's for the daytona, at the other large Rolex AD with multibrands. Don't shoot the messenger.

Its also cumulative with non-Rolex plus rolex. So say you got an Omega (£7.7k), that makes you kinda eligible for an DJ? (£7k?) and you're already at £14.7k. Then maybe you buy a JLC (£11k?) and then you're at £25.7k afterwhich they give you a BLNR -> ~£35k.

I guess the point is to get to the spend level where each incremental non-rolex watch you buy is basically "free."

Of course, my other SA at this AD in another location told me someone bought a 15k watch for BLNR and is now telling me that I need to buy a 25k watch to be eligible for BLNR -> this is honestly complete shit in my opinion.

I can't wait until the recession hits and they all lose their jobs.

Sorry boss, I mean the situation/the SA/AD = total shit.