The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 July 2022, 09:44 PM   #1
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Things heard around the world (UAE Edition)

Dubai Mall Rolex Boutique

"You can't get a gmt no matter how much you spend, but if you spend a 100k US, we can put you on the list for an SD43"

Yas Mall Boutique (Abu Dhabi)

"We stopped taking orders for all professional models 7 years ago when the BLRO was first released"

(it was released in 2018)

Just about everything was "for exhibition only"

Wasn't trying to get anything, but thought I would see what they had to say. I know it's one of the worst places in the world for Rolex right now but still annoying.

Great times.

One day my ad will come though. Still have faith.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
Old 5 July 2022, 10:45 PM   #2
Fred_Tan
Banned

Watch: Bumble Bee
Crude oil price is selling well in NY Mercantile exchange?
It’s like trying to get any watch in Rolex HK/Shanghai/Beijing.
As of Pre C19, need at least US$10mil history
Fred_Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2022, 11:05 PM   #3
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Tan View Post
Crude oil price is selling well in NY Mercantile exchange?
It’s like trying to get any watch in Rolex HK/Shanghai/Beijing.
As of Pre C19, need at least US$10mil history
If I am spending ten million US, it will not be on watches or stuff to get watches.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2022, 11:18 PM   #4
Turbo Racer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I find these types of comments from the ad ridiculous at best. Honestly, $10M spend? $100k to be put on the list for sd43? I don’t believe it. People with that kind of money are calling a friend and getting the watch they want or they are having their assistant purchase for them grey.

Most people with a lot of money don’t get that way by throwing it away, and if you have that kind of money, you usually don’t suffer fools lightly or particularly have much tolerance to being jerked around.

I mean honestly, how many people would spend up like that so they could be catered to by some Rolex boutique? YMMV
Turbo Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2022, 11:31 PM   #5
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
The Dubai AD allocation is actually based on VIPs based mostly not on spend but their Post held in various important departments (read in-between the lines) and these so called guys rush to offload their watches to dealers ASAP. Dubai AD is one of the worlds largest single most Rolex buyer and even grey dealer supplier directly or indirectly. Rolex knows this and everyone knows it , its pure maths and money.

I would suggest building a relationship with AD of other EU or smaller towns country.
Old 6 July 2022, 12:03 AM   #6
Fred_Tan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
If I am spending ten million US, it will not be on watches or stuff to get watches.
The same folks who spend tens of US$ mil on watches spend more for violin, painting, homes, cars, handbags, Scotch, bourbon, Pu-Er tea, trading sports cards, sneakers, Marvel comics, and Japanese denim.

Need to stick our necks out to see how the top 1% in China are living their lives (that’s is how they spend).

Just goto ebay and see how much ppl are bidding for new, current, in-print key volumes of Amazing Spider-Man, Hulk, Thor, recently dropped Air Jordan, and current Pokémon cards.

If these stuff are still in heavens, everything else will be
Old 6 July 2022, 12:04 AM   #7
Fred_Tan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Racer View Post
I find these types of comments from the ad ridiculous at best. Honestly, $10M spend? $100k to be put on the list for sd43? I don’t believe it. People with that kind of money are calling a friend and getting the watch they want or they are having their assistant purchase for them grey.

Most people with a lot of money don’t get that way by throwing it away, and if you have that kind of money, you usually don’t suffer fools lightly or particularly have much tolerance to being jerked around.

I mean honestly, how many people would spend up like that so they could be catered to by some Rolex boutique? YMMV
Have you heard of syndicate bulk buying for resale in China?
Old 6 July 2022, 12:12 AM   #8
Fred_Tan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajurama View Post
The Dubai AD allocation is actually based on VIPs based mostly not on spend but their Post held in various important departments (read in-between the lines) and these so called guys rush to offload their watches to dealers ASAP. Dubai AD is one of the worlds largest single most Rolex buyer and even grey dealer supplier directly or indirectly. Rolex knows this and everyone knows it , its pure maths and money.

I would suggest building a relationship with AD of other EU or smaller towns country.
These days, more like secret arrangement with Chinese bulk forwarders syndicates who will scope barely out of DHL boxes Rolex and fly em to Shanghai in 24hrs to sell at 10-25x MSRP
Old 6 July 2022, 01:21 AM   #9
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Need to stick our necks out to see how the top 1% in China are living their lives (that’s is how they spend).
Pre-tax annual income to be in the top 1% in China in 2021 was ~$120k, that's not quite enough to drop $10M on watches. Top 0.01%, maybe.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2022, 01:33 AM   #10
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post

"You can't get a gmt no matter how much you spend, but if you spend a 100k US, we can put you on the list for an SD43"
What a nonsensical thing for an AD to come out with. 100k to go a list for an SD43.... OR hop online and go to the nearest trusted grey's website and pick up an SD43 for a shade over list. Hmmmm... tough decision there!
Old 6 July 2022, 02:38 AM   #11
Fred_Tan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Pre-tax annual income to be in the top 1% in China in 2021 was ~$120k, that's not quite enough to drop $10M on watches. Top 0.01%, maybe.
You are assuming the top 1 or 10% mainlanders even bothered to declare their actual income in full.
None of my rich brethren in Hainan island where my clan hail from even declare any taxes ever in their lives.
And it’s not bcos they are illiterate, lazy, retired, unemployed, dead or has low income of US$120G as you said.

Also if it’s really 0.01% as you alluded, that’s still 141,400 ultra rich in the Middle Kingdom.
How many Rolex are produced in Geneva every year? 800,000?
Old 6 July 2022, 03:23 AM   #12
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

The 100k rule is Dirhams not dollars and it’s a confirmed rule for any “wishlist” professional model. But yes it exists.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2022, 09:00 PM   #13
JDA0779
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO Jubilee
Hey Guys!
I wishlisted an SD43 in July 2020 and received it from the Dubai AD in April 2021 without any prior history. So the 100 usd or rather aed claim is bollocks.

Prior history is needed here more than anywhere in the world due to the volumne and the big players in the system. But this prior history will grt you only basic models DJ etc etc and not the profressional sports esp after 2019. SD43 aint much in demand historically so i guess it came thru.
I also rcd the 36mm new explorer in Aug 2021 ( for the wife ) and again a Date Just ( wife ) later end of the year.
So with my current purchase was offered a Dual Tone SD43 ( which i refused ).
Getting a GMT or a Sub currently is out of question esp the GMT.

I got both my watches from my smaller family dealer in India.

Hope this clarifies the scene here.

The Dubai AD owns 33% in WatchBox and also is the largest buyer of Rolex watches.
One of the SA i know very well over the last 3 years told me Dubai Mall wishlist is approx 5-6 Lakhs pieces and they get about 75000 watches everyyear or so , so booked out for 6:7 years approx.

Rolex Pepsi 126710BLRO Jubilee and Rolex Starbucks 126610LV
JDA0779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2022, 09:12 PM   #14
mquarter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5-digit steel
Quote:
You are assuming the top 1 or 10% mainlanders even bothered to declare their actual income in full.
None of my rich brethren in Hainan island where my clan hail from even declare any taxes ever in their lives.
And it’s not bcos they are illiterate, lazy, retired, unemployed, dead or has low income of US$120G as you said.

Also if it’s really 0.01% as you alluded, that’s still 141,400 ultra rich in the Middle Kingdom.
How many Rolex are produced in Geneva every year? 800,000?
What's up with you not posting anything since 2016 and then coming on here to do a bunch of China bashing/blaming in the last few days? This is not even a thread about China.
mquarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2022, 09:35 PM   #15
Jay2101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDA0779 View Post
Hey Guys!
I wishlisted an SD43 in July 2020 and received it from the Dubai AD in April 2021 without any prior history. So the 100 usd or rather aed claim is bollocks.

Prior history is needed here more than anywhere in the world due to the volumne and the big players in the system. But this prior history will grt you only basic models DJ etc etc and not the profressional sports esp after 2019. SD43 aint much in demand historically so i guess it came thru.
I also rcd the 36mm new explorer in Aug 2021 ( for the wife ) and again a Date Just ( wife ) later end of the year.
So with my current purchase was offered a Dual Tone SD43 ( which i refused ).
Getting a GMT or a Sub currently is out of question esp the GMT.

I got both my watches from my smaller family dealer in India.

Hope this clarifies the scene here.

The Dubai AD owns 33% in WatchBox and also is the largest buyer of Rolex watches.
One of the SA i know very well over the last 3 years told me Dubai Mall wishlist is approx 5-6 Lakhs pieces and they get about 75000 watches everyyear or so , so booked out for 6:7 years approx.
Lol let me explain lakh. A lakh is an Indian unit of measure for 100,000. I had a world of a time on my first business trip when everyone was throwing around lakhs at me.

Tapatalk を使用して私の CPH1943 から送信
Jay2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2022, 09:37 PM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
This is next level
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2022, 10:08 PM   #17
ogbeans
Banned

You are shopping at a place where they don’t care about money. What you expect toad ?
ogbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2022, 10:17 PM   #18
jaydav2306
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post

Yas Mall Boutique (Abu Dhabi)

"We stopped taking orders for all professional models 7 years ago when the BLRO was first released"

(it was released in 2018)

Just about everything was "for exhibition only"

Wasn't trying to get anything, but thought I would see what they had to say. I know it's one of the worst places in the world for Rolex right now but still annoying.

Great times.

One day my ad will come though. Still have faith.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
Was once one of the easiest places in the world to pick up a Rolex SS model
jaydav2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2022, 11:16 PM   #19
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
most of these SAs are clueless about Rolex
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote