The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 August 2021, 09:55 AM   #1
skp
"TRF" Member

Availability going to get better?

I was at a Boutique about 2 months ago and was told that the supply has dried up because of covid but they expect supply to go back to normal before the end of the year.

Does this sound reasonable? The authorized dealers are acting like they'll do you a favor and sell you a different brand for Rolex prices (brands that you used to be able to get a discount on).
skp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 10:01 AM   #2
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
Seriously doubt anything will change on the supply side by the end of the year. I suspect the current situation will remain for quite some time.

2FA security active
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 10:09 AM   #3
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58

It seems Rolex seems to be increasing production.

The current feeding frenzy style is also likely to moderate because this sort of hype induced frenzied demand invariably does.

Even in the absence of any sort of financial crisis, this can only point to a better situation at ADs.

Whether better amounts to anything much though is the question. Increasing global wealth is a long term trend that has barely even started. That’s what Rolex has in mind, not some nonsensical three year frenzy for SS sports models.

I don’t think anyone hoping to score a Pepsi should be getting his hopes up though:

Rolex may be increasing production, but they are certainly not going to manufacture a lot more SS Daytona’s or Pepsi’s.

If anything, they may go in the opposite direction for these.

Also, recent developments in China are going to have a huge influence on what happens with Rolex and all luxury demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 12:40 PM   #4
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Gray market will either get them before they hit the shelf or right after, and hold them ransom so no matter. People will pay what it costs to get those instabook likes.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 12:42 PM   #5
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Old 30 August 2021, 02:49 PM   #6
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 02:56 PM   #7
brandog
Banned

Supply has been a problem for 3-4 years now, this isn't a recent COVID thing.
brandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 03:19 PM   #8
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post
It seems Rolex seems to be increasing production.

The current feeding frenzy style is also likely to moderate because this sort of hype induced frenzied demand invariably does.

Even in the absence of any sort of financial crisis, this can only point to a better situation at ADs.

Whether better amounts to anything much though is the question. Increasing global wealth is a long term trend that has barely even started. That’s what Rolex has in mind, not some nonsensical three year frenzy for SS sports models.

I don’t think anyone hoping to score a Pepsi should be getting his hopes up though:

Rolex may be increasing production, but they are certainly not going to manufacture a lot more SS Daytona’s or Pepsi’s.

If anything, they may go in the opposite direction for these.

Also, recent developments in China are going to have a huge influence on what happens with Rolex and all luxury demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beyond China, I would not be shocked if in the next 5-15 years we start seeing an increased demand for luxury goods in India.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 04:22 PM   #9
skp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandog View Post
Supply has been a problem for 3-4 years now, this isn't a recent COVID thing.
I know it's been bad for several years now but it seems like it just got worse in the last 2. My local ADs can't even honestly take orders and they seem to be getting maybe 1 steel model every 4-6 months.

I'm not holding my breath and I'm not in a rush but I would love to be able to wear more than one Rolex in the forseeable future.

Wouldn't basic business sense say that if you're selling every unit produced then you should increase production starting with the models with highest demand? I don't think Rolex is trying to artificially raise their preceived value and I think it's a production issue which they're going to have to address sooner than later.
Old 30 August 2021, 04:26 PM   #10
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by skp View Post
I was at a Boutique about 2 months ago and was told that the supply has dried up because of covid but they expect supply to go back to normal before the end of the year.

Does this sound reasonable? The authorized dealers are acting like they'll do you a favor and sell you a different brand for Rolex prices (brands that you used to be able to get a discount on).
I think it’ll Improve slightly.
Rolex ADs are now so light in stock that many just don’t even look in their windows anymore. I used to love a browse at an AD and now I tend not to bother.

I think it’ll get back to some (lower demand) sports models popping up in windows occasionally eg air king, exp 1, milgauss etc.

It’s depressing the way it is currently
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 04:33 PM   #11
skp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Rolex ADs are now so light in stock that many just don’t even look in their windows anymore. I used to love a browse at an AD and now I tend not to bother.

I think it’ll get back to some (lower demand) sports models popping up in windows occasionally eg air king, exp 1, milgauss etc.

Really, for me, the experience starts with something catching my eye in a window, and then seeing a watch in the metal, trying it on to see the fit, comparing it with something else and then puliing the trigger. I've never had a good experience purchasing a luxury item sight unseen.
Old 30 August 2021, 04:57 PM   #12
Xerxes77
Banned

I think things remain the same in the next 2-3 years
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 05:06 PM   #13
Fenrira
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I know it's been bad for several years now but it seems like it just got worse in the last 2. My local ADs can't even honestly take orders and they seem to be getting maybe 1 steel model every 4-6 months.

I'm not holding my breath and I'm not in a rush but I would love to be able to wear more than one Rolex in the forseeable future.

Wouldn't basic business sense say that if you're selling every unit produced then you should increase production starting with the models with highest demand? I don't think Rolex is trying to artificially raise their preceived value and I think it's a production issue which they're going to have to address sooner than later.
Hard to believe they receive one steel model every 4-6 months when Aquanauts and Nautiluses come into many ADs once every 3 months.
Fenrira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 05:27 PM   #14
skp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrira View Post
Hard to believe they receive one steel model every 4-6 months when Aquanauts and Nautiluses come into many ADs once every 3 months.
I'm taking what I was told with a grain of salt but for sure I could tell that they were not happy with what they were receiving.
Old 30 August 2021, 07:10 PM   #15
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Buy here it comes the logistic and shipment delay. Don't think it can get any better.
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 07:16 PM   #16
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Doubt it.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 07:28 PM   #17
Andad

Watch: A few.
No.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 08:01 PM   #18
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Nope.
Old 30 August 2021, 08:01 PM   #19
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Nada
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 08:03 PM   #20
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
COVID --- What an excuse !!!

Quote:

It seems that anybody who is under any form of pressure to supply almost anything and is having a problem for what ever the reason is blaming COVID.

The supply, service and everything problems across the gloibe are partially caused by Covid but most of the problems were there long before the outbreak.

Covis is just being used as a convienient excuse.

And ... NO .. I am NOT a COVID denier ... I have been vaccinated twice and will get my booster shortly.
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 08:18 PM   #21
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:

Why have you waited two months to post this information??
Old 30 August 2021, 08:24 PM   #22
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

In fact many of my sources and observations of several online sources seem to back up the idea Rolex is reducing production/distribution of their newest SS watches like the new Sub41. The market is so strong I believe it can get even worse this year if your looking for a SS Professional model. You will see very minor variations with the time of year as watch sales has its cycles of ups and down. Late summer is a low period but will pick up again late fall and pick up again in spring/pre summer. It’s always been this way. If your waiting for the Rolex bus to slow down to jump on you better start running faster the longer you wait to buy.
Old 30 August 2021, 08:30 PM   #23
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post

This is my expectation in the UK also. That is where it was before the Pandemic struck, Jan 20 time. I bought a Z Blue Milgauss from its case that month. I haven't seen one since.
DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 08:41 PM   #24
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I don’t think so
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 08:47 PM   #25
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
No problem with availability, only availability through AD's at msrp. Plenty of watches for sell. Until the Grey prices adjust downward and get close to msrp then you will not see any relief. And what causes that is all speculation.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 08:51 PM   #26
Goin2drt
Banned

But wait there was a thread the other day that said because of a SS shortage supply was drying up. Which is it? I don't know what interweb thread to believe.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 08:57 PM   #27
johnwigan
Banned

Yes, things will eventually return to normal, but Covid is not over yet. Empty displays are not viable or desirable. Abysmal customer experience is not a viable long term strategy.

Going to an AD and you cannot try on the watch you want or even see it, or see any of the watches you're interested in, is ludicrous. Being told you have to buy what you don't want to even have a chance of buying your chosen Rolex damages the Rolex brand and loses Rolex £££ and customers. And having a situation where every spiv wants a Rolex to flip for a quick profit is off putting for the well healed, and ultimately costs Rolex. Watches seems to have caught the imagination of the amateur wheeler dealer looking for easy cash. Maybe, Covid has exacerbated that.

What has happened in recent years is abnormal and will not just continue indefinitely as we recover from Covid back to normality and Rolex addresses these issues. Some people are emotionally invested in the Rolex shortage/price increases because they feel their watch is worth more or they paid an inflated price. Or they are flippers.

I'll be glad when normal service is resumed. It is idiotic going to a fancy showroom - with empty display cases, and not being able to try stuff on. And having to wait months for a watch. Just ridiculous at the moment.
johnwigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 08:58 PM   #28
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
No
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 08:58 PM   #29
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Quote:

Wouldn't basic business sense say that if you're selling every unit produced then you should increase production starting with the models with highest demand?
Question though for you - while basic business sense may state that, what about a situation where the company is making a product that has been obsolete for decades (the mechanical watch). What if the company realizes that with the continued rise of wrist computers (the Apple/Samsung watches and their ilk) that the mechanical watch industry is facing an existential crisis similar (if not worse) than the Quartz Crisis that almost killed half of existing Swiss watch companies in the 70s? That many of the lower to mid tier watch companies will not survive, and even a couple of the higher ones (I look at you Moser and Girard perregaux on the higher end, although the mass die-off will MASSIVELY affect lower end watches that are within the strike radius of the smart watches) will not - with only the likes of Omega (which is trying to do what Rolex is doing by the way), Rolex, AP, Patek and a couple of others being the ones that will do well. What if the company realizes that the only way to not only survive but thrive would be to come as close to a Veblen good as possible? What if the company sees many of its competitors products spending months collecting dust in AD shelves, and in some cases with those products having to be bought back? Or the sizeable discounts present? And the company realizes that increasing production above a certain marker would bring the risk of dead stock should the current market, where every ‘asset’ is inflated, turn.

Increasing production (or price) beyond a certain level would be highly detrimental to Rolex, and they will not do it. They will increase production (and anyway, they currently sell more watches than their next three competitors - including Omega - combined), but it will be small and will not make a difference.

What they will do is maybe move from 800K-1m watches a year to maybe 1-1.3m a year, but no more than that.

Rolex - like Patek and AP (and increasingly, Omega) - want to survive a situation that will cull many watch brands.

Massively increasing production goes against that, and unfortunately any small increase will not make a difference in terms of increased availability. People talk about India demand taking over where China drops off. True. There are also other emerging markets that are also increasing purchase spend - some in places you wouldn’t believe, and which in the next 7 or so years will continue the baton exchange.

The way I see it is Tudor will become increasingly important, and Rolex will continue to be difficult to acquire. Even if Rolex increases production by a couple hundred thousand watches.
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 09:13 PM   #30
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

Wouldn't basic business sense say that if you're selling every unit produced then you should increase production
Rolex is not a basic business and does not care about this
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote