The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 June 2022, 03:48 AM   #91
petay993
"TRF" Member

Watch: FXD MN21, BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRT View Post
Apologies, was meant to say that sports models will only be available to existing clients. No prior purchase history is required for non-sports.

As for the people saying this is nonsense…this is what my AD told me. Why is it nonsense? Two separate sales assistants said the same thing. I have decent spend at my AD (Tudor, Cartier, TT DJ41 and 18k sub) all in the last 12 months so would like to think they aren’t fobbing me off.

Given that others are now saying they have been told similar things in my mind it seems to true.

Not sure if UK wide or just WoS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is not nonsense it is correct for the WOS Group in the U.K

Applicable to Rolex Professional models.

Some big spenders will be exempted because that's the nature of capitalism.
petay993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 04:30 AM   #92
novae500
"TRF" Member

The Mgr at my AD told me this last year. Only limited to 2 in 2022.

326933 SkyDweller, 126711 GMT II CHNR
12600 DeepSea Seadweller
14060 No Date Submariner
16710 GMT II Pepsi N-Series, Coke F Series
novae500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 06:38 AM   #93
Vince M.
Banned

Watch: Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramo View Post
Its not about selling price, its about how much greys will pay, plus, greys are pricing in for further drops when buying Rolex watches. so the question is, what will greys pay for a BNIB Submariner come December/January if we have further drops over the next six months?
Exactly.
Vince M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 07:01 AM   #94
X E L O R
"TRF" Member

The irony as WoS supply most of the grey market out the back door!! This won’t have much effect with the underhand dealings. But it’s worth a try!

X E L O R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 07:13 AM   #95
MrMikee
"TRF" Member

I’ve heard something similar from my AD. Based on how crazy things are today.. I’m not against any of this. May stop some of the flippers. Who the heck is buying more than two Rolex’s a year anyway?! If you have that kind of money, you’ll most likely buy grey.
MrMikee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 07:45 AM   #96
PatagoniaDan
"TRF" Member

My relationship was established in 2015 and I was a good customer when buying at an AD was seen as a poor value proposition. On the grey market full set pieces could be had 10-30% off retail. Instead I chose to take the hit and consistently go the AD route. In my case it worked out for me because when the tables switched I was able to get whatever desirable pieces I wanted because I had shown I was not only a real watch enthusiast, but that I had stuck with them when it wasn't necessarily to my advantage.
PatagoniaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 08:12 AM   #97
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Lol sorry but there is only 1 rule that is universally true at all ADs

Money talks and bullsh*t walks
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 08:46 AM   #98
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Originally Posted by X E L O R View Post
The irony as WoS supply most of the grey market out the back door!! This won’t have much effect with the underhand dealings. But it’s worth a try!

You have some solid information to support this?
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 09:22 AM   #99
AFinchMustang
"TRF" Member

Makes sense to me. If they actually enforced it across the board it would be a great policy to tame the flippers and spread deliveries to more people. In reality, its probably to save face a little bit with new customers that don't understand the current market and raise the brand higher in their eyes. 9/10 of my family members don't understand that you can't just walk into an AD and grab a sub; something that was true well before the recent run-up. Putting my large AD thinking hat on, how do you tell people that the waitlist for a sub is 3 years if you've never spent money there while keeping them engaged in the brand for when the pendulum swings? You tell them that only existing customers can be on the list due to the current length - Rolex is placed even higher in their minds and the AD might be able to move some slow sellers for the impatient.
AFinchMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 10:17 AM   #100
PO 2500D
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43TT & DJII blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFinchMustang View Post
9/10 of my family members don't understand that you can't just walk into an AD and grab a sub
Are they all kleptomaniacs? You have to buy them not grab them...applies to most things as well from coffee to cars.
PO 2500D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 10:34 AM   #101
dannyp
Banned

Surprised Rolex blesses the “existing customers only” bit. Basically an opportunity to lose business at every turn by someone who decides they actually prefer Omega after trying one out.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 10:37 AM   #102
JDsnewwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN with BCL
Do these rules apply to the buyers for the grey market sellers? or just the buyers like us?
JDsnewwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 12:55 PM   #103
malba2366
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
You have some solid information to support this?
Nobody is going to have solid proof, but it is pretty well known that this is the case.
malba2366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 12:57 PM   #104
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

If anyone is familiar with Hermes Birkin bags this is the same exact game.

Buttering up Sales Associates, flying to different countries in order to find stores willing to sell things at retail, fretting over the grey market.
Incroyable12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 12:59 PM   #105
Njkdog
Banned

Watch: Speedy reduced
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Complete and utter nonsense all ADs are in business for one thing only and thats to sell as many of there products to all that enters there retail store.
But Rolex has proven they’re not at all shy about taking away AD status from dealers who don’t follow their rules.
Njkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 01:02 PM   #106
Njkdog
Banned

Watch: Speedy reduced
Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
Nobody is going to have solid proof, but it is pretty well known that this is the case.
I actually have statistical proof that that’s not true depending on how you phrased your original statement. But I don’t care enough to do more than send this message
Njkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 03:49 PM   #107
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S`` View Post
How many rumours have Thorpe gotten right so far? Not many...
It might be a negative value. I'd check but I can't be bothered.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 03:57 PM   #108
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by X E L O R View Post
I've been told this on several occasions by people in the watch retail trade but no evidence has ever been produced to support it. If I chose to believe it, that doesn't make it true.
Old 24 June 2022, 06:57 PM   #109
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing and waiting!
OK so I've logged in (first time in about 2 months - but I do check in regulary)
So to add my experience (have said this before on here)

I'm in UK and had been on 2018 WOS "Hulk" list LOL that failed....
Got "the call" during lockdown - was excited - but only informed that it was a courtesy call to say the outgoing model I was "interest list" was no longer sold (Kermit replaced new nos.)

I said I still wanted Polar ExpII and went in person to a masked (covid) appointment at the dealership to discuss...

I was given more or less same experience as OP had said. (in fact I was pointed at the jewellery counter....LOL!)
I've since mentally given up on WOS as it makes life simpler.
Daveclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 07:08 PM   #110
Paka
Banned

Watch: IWC Big Pilot 5002
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRT View Post
Just wanted to share some “rules” which Watches of switzerland are implementing to try and ensure the spread of watches around their customers is fair. Was advised of these new rules following a catch-up with my sales assistant yesterday to register my interest for a green OP41. Coincidentally Paul Thorpe has done a video on the same rules.

1) register of interest for models now only possible for existing clients. People with no purchase history will not be able to register their interest for any model
2) only 2 Rolex sales are permitted to a customer in a 12 month period
3) out of that two only 1 sports model is permitted.

I do think this is going to have a real impact and spread the distribution of watches to a wider customer base. My AD showed my a list of 5-6 hit watches that he literally is struggling to sell to people in his client list as the new rules knock a lot of people out of consideration. Talking about blue sky dweller, Batman, subs, 2 tone explorer 1 (well, not surprised that is a struggle). Obviously I tried to buy the blue sky but was told I need my register of interest approved by head office which would take a few months and by which time the blue sky would be gone.

This is 100% bullshit.
Paka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 07:28 PM   #111
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
This is 100% bullshit.
Bullshit as you are arguing it isn’t true or bullshit as you don’t like the rules?
Old 24 June 2022, 10:33 PM   #112
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I've been told this on several occasions by people in the watch retail trade but no evidence has ever been produced to support it. If I chose to believe it, that doesn't make it true.
Understand your point but you can still go down on circumstantial evidence!

They get around 50% of the UK's Rolexes. We all know responsible Independent AD's who look after enthusiasts who don't flip. They make up a very decent proportion of the other 50%. Maybe its not them, maybe its the Rolex fairy.

Rolex could have stopped it years ago if they wanted to but chose not to, so they are complicit. A lesser sentence for them, granted!
DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 11:22 PM   #113
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoricSpiker View Post
Understand your point but you can still go down on circumstantial evidence!
I can easily believe it. I would go as far as to say I do believe it. But then there's proving it.
Old 25 June 2022, 12:09 AM   #114
cwilson13
"TRF" Member

I heard David countered.
Two purchases per year.
One has to be two tone.
The other he select for you based on shoe size.
No exceptions.
cwilson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2022, 12:36 AM   #115
watchnut73
"TRF" Member

Watch: daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
Complete nonsense
I agree!

I know someone Very recently) registered for a classic piece...had it within two months then registered for another timepiece had that very soon after.. its all down to mangers discretion, who the client is etc... none of what OP mentions

everyone just gets dragged in and believes what they are told,
watchnut73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 04:07 PM   #116
MrMikee
"TRF" Member

I was speaking to my WOS SA yesterday and she said the exact same thing as OP. I didn’t prompt the conversation, she brought it up in her own. New rules at WOS have just been introduced etc. I have a purchase history with them and bought a Rolex early 2022, why would she lie. She also mentioned they have stopped taking names for a number of watches.
MrMikee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 09:37 PM   #117
dazzle66
"TRF" Member

Watch: Planet ocean 43.5
On a side note , does anyone buy from any WOS shops , other than Rolex ? The one in my city have always miles behind the other ADs locally regarding discounts on other brands ie recent omega moonwatch professional they offered 4% off looking down their nose,Other non WOS AD 15% off very little bartering and a great customer experience . Same the year before with a panerai.
dazzle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 10:18 PM   #118
MikePRT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzle66 View Post
On a side note , does anyone buy from any WOS shops , other than Rolex ? The one in my city have always miles behind the other ADs locally regarding discounts on other brands ie recent omega moonwatch professional they offered 4% off looking down their nose,Other non WOS AD 15% off very little bartering and a great customer experience . Same the year before with a panerai.

I got 9% off a Tudor pelagos in December 21 just before the price rise. Got nothing off a relatively cheap Cartier though earlier this year, although the purchase history no doubt helped me obtain my 18k sub recently purchased through the store…so swings and roundabouts.

MikePRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 10:29 PM   #119
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Complete and utter nonsense all ADs are in business for one thing only and thats to sell as many of there products to all that enters there retail store.

It’s a store. What other purpose does it or should it have?
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 10:37 PM   #120
malb85
"TRF" Member

I’ve been told by my AD that all purchases need to be approved by their head office now, no sale of ‘hot models’ to new customers.

Seems entirely logic that something similar is true at WoS.

My AD is a fairly small AD in the south east.
malb85 is offline   Reply With Quote