The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 28 June 2022, 03:15 AM   #1
Fifteen
Banned

Buying AP for a girlfriend (contingency planning)

Has anyone here purchased an AP (or any high priced item) for a gf before? I understand it would be normal to purchase for a wife, but when it comes to gf, I’m wondering what the etiquette would be if we ever broke up.

I don’t expect the girl to ever return gifts (or Vice versa) when they break up, but I’ve also never purchased anything of high value (over $5k) before to a gf.

I’m wondering if anyone has any experience of getting a watch back bc the girl may associate the item to you (or vice versa).

Asking for a friend of course.
Fifteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2022, 03:17 AM   #2
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Buy something you can afford to toss into the river, burn to ashes!
That’s certainly not an AP!
Buying something that expensive when she’s your gf will be hard to stomach should she calls the time on the relationship.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2022, 03:25 AM   #3
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

doesn't sound ideal unless you guys are getting married imo
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2022, 03:47 AM   #4
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I’d say any gifts given are property of the recipient. Unless a written agreement is in place. If that is the situation, or even if there is question in the first place I’d recommend not doing it. My personal recommendation would be to put that money towards a ring. If the relationship doesn’t last, re-allocate that money from a ring to a watch for you instead.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2022, 04:10 AM   #5
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I would assume no contingency when gifting accordingly. If something happens it's gone. As a thought experiment, would you go as far as asking to be named in her will and estate to ensure you got the watch back to you in the event of an unforeseen death?

Regardless of dollar amount, my learned (painful experience before marriage) is be very, very careful of where you set the initial base line for gifts and shared vacations. It's hard to go back to a lower level. And you can only choose when you are jumping in increments once. Even if you can afford it (and I'm sincerely assuming you are because you are likely a baller), the expectations setting needs to be carefully managed to avoid future headaches.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2022, 04:10 AM   #6
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Sounds like your friends girlfriend broke up with him and he wants the expensive gift back. Tell him to move on he is not getting it back.
10XRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2022, 04:12 AM   #7
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Regardless of gf/wife/partner, you should always consider a gift, regardless of price, the property of the recipient and never ask for it back whatever happens.

So if it would keep you up at night wondering what will happen to the AP should things go belly up, then don’t gift it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2022, 04:27 AM   #8
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

A gift is a gift, not a loan or condition. If you don't want her to "have" it then don't buy it.

If you wanna play, you gotta pay.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2022, 06:42 AM   #9
Hauxrologist
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few :)
Never give anything you would expect to get back, under any circumstance. I think this is best suited as a wedding gift.
Hauxrologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2022, 07:26 AM   #10
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

If the idea of "contingency planning" crossed my mind for a gift, I'd know that I had my answer.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2022, 07:33 AM   #11
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
If the idea of "contingency planning" crossed my mind for a gift, I'd know that I had my answer.

Exactly my thinking too…
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2022, 07:35 AM   #12
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Buying AP for a girlfriend (contingency planning)

Take her on a Fantastic Trip and get her the watch for an engagement gift if you get to that point. IMHO

Don't buy and expect to get it back if things don't work out... Collect memories while you are dating. You will collect plenty things when you get married.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2022, 08:33 AM   #13
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Perfect example of when to go grey. You’ve been noodling on how to get a RO and like the creative thought process.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2022, 09:35 AM   #14
Chary
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15407ST
A gift is basically that... even if she goes with someone else she get's to keep it! that's my opinion! a gift is a gift!!!

Instagram: Chary1
Chary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2022, 05:03 PM   #15
Emery
"TRF" Member

Mate, you’re overthinking it - just get an AP for yourself.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2022, 05:58 PM   #16
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifteen View Post
Has anyone here purchased an AP (or any high priced item) for a gf before? I understand it would be normal to purchase for a wife, but when it comes to gf, I’m wondering what the etiquette would be if we ever broke up.

I don’t expect the girl to ever return gifts (or Vice versa) when they break up, but I’ve also never purchased anything of high value (over $5k) before to a gf.

I’m wondering if anyone has any experience of getting a watch back bc the girl may associate the item to you (or vice versa).

You really know what to tell ‘your friend’.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2022, 07:54 PM   #17
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Won't happen. You give it, it's gone. Her next boyfriend is probably a flipper who is already scheming to sell it.
Old 28 June 2022, 08:24 PM   #18
DJ4
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Quote:

Can I be you gf? :)

honestly - IMHO - it doesn't make sense
DJ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2022, 10:13 PM   #19
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:

A gift is a gift. You don't buy someone something unless you are comfortable losing that money for that person. Someone who treats me for dinner and gets into a fight with me the next week, doesn't ask me back for money.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 03:18 AM   #20
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
I think it has a lot to do with your overall financial situation. If its a drop in the bucket for you and you won't miss it and want to, then why not? Personally, I wouldn't gift a gf something of that caliber since its not a drop in the bucket for me
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 03:22 AM   #21
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Don't do it. Until you put a wedding ring on her finger just skip it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 04:17 AM   #22
saltyandwet
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I did. In the last 12 months, I've bought my GF a 36mm YG DD, a Birkin, Channel flapbag, Dior saddlebag, Cartier love bracelet/ring, Van Cleef necklace and other things here and there. Do what makes you happy. Don't overthink the whole gf/wife thing. A wife can leave you just as easily as a gf with one notable exception. If a gf leaves, you'd lose everything that you've already spent on her. A wife leaves, you stand to lose 50% of everything that you haven't spent YET.
saltyandwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 06:01 AM   #23
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

If you need to ask strangers on the internet don’t do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 06:43 AM   #24
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyandwet View Post
If a gf leaves, you'd lose everything that you've already spent on her. A wife leaves, you stand to lose 50% of everything that you haven't spent YET.
Very fair point!

To OP: Sounds like "your friend" should buy an AP for himself and let her borrow it from time to time instead
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2022, 05:15 AM   #25
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:

Best answer is for the GF to buy YOU a watch. In this day of equality...yada yada yada.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2022, 08:58 AM   #26
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

gift is a gift, Id never expect that back. Its not like a car that you've leased in your name and added her to insurance of so she can drive it...
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2022, 01:01 AM   #27
Fifteen
Banned

thank you all. I have told my friend if he is not ready to put a ring on it, he definitely is not ready to put a RO on it...
Fifteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2022, 01:45 AM   #28
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I did. In the last 12 months, I've bought my GF a 36mm YG DD, a Birkin, Channel flapbag, Dior saddlebag, Cartier love bracelet/ring, Van Cleef necklace and other things here and there. Do what makes you happy. Don't overthink the whole gf/wife thing. A wife can leave you just as easily as a gf with one notable exception. If a gf leaves, you'd lose everything that you've already spent on her. A wife leaves, you stand to lose 50% of everything that you haven't spent YET.
As long as you are happy and within your means. My wife and I have already achieved mutual understanding that, buying things don't make either of us any more happy. Experiences, memories, achievements, family are much more important. We do buy watches occasionally because they are great investments, and we only buy from retail.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2022, 05:09 AM   #29
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Can I date you?
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2022, 02:52 AM   #30
Hauxrologist
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
As long as you are happy and within your means. My wife and I have already achieved mutual understanding that, buying things don't make either of us any more happy. Experiences, memories, achievements, family are much more important. We do buy watches occasionally because they are great investments, and we only buy from retail.
This hits it on the head. True, lasting happiness can't come from material goods.
Hauxrologist is offline   Reply With Quote