The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 July 2022, 12:15 AM   #91
John Ryan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Sounds like you waited too long.

Curious that a guy who dislikes Rolex is nonetheless reading, posting on and a member of the Rolex forum.

Sounds like maybe you’re not completely over the brand.
Still enjoy reading the posts and looking at the pictures. Ive learned a lot from reading on here and plan on continuing to do so. Perhaps I did wait too long, but I had no idea at the time.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2022, 07:40 AM   #92
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ryan View Post
Still enjoy reading the posts and looking at the pictures. Ive learned a lot from reading on here and plan on continuing to do so. Perhaps I did wait too long, but I had no idea at the time.
Welcome to the forum.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2022, 08:10 AM   #93
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
So I have always been into watches broadly and not a rolex only kind of guy. I also have no interest in modern rolex. But the hype and all the fake hype surrounding things has made me almost disgusted with Rolex and to the point it almost feels embarrassing to wear it. I had a 10 year old in my office back in 2019, look down at my wrist and say woah is that a rolex. Its a bit too much
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2022, 12:05 PM   #94
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fareplay View Post
I have to say, after reading many peoples experience at AD (not mine personally), I can’t imagine that being an enjoyable thing to do. I am curious if it leaves enough of a distaste to deter you from purchasing as many pieces or just passing entirely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OP, hands down I dislike the scalpers and youtube hype or IG posting. All of a sudden everyone became a "insert brand" reseller / dealer asking an insane price over MSRP..
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2022, 12:28 PM   #95
bryant_is_bored
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatamail View Post
Curious what peoples' experience has been when walking into a Porsche dealership and inquiring about buying a 911 at MSRP?
2 months ago, Porsche Irvine (CA) minimum $30k markup on base 911s. Porsche Riverside (CA) $15k markup for an order allotment on a base 911. That's with a relationship I have with an "Brand Ambassador" as well.
bryant_is_bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2022, 01:02 PM   #96
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
I had a 10 year old in my office back in 2019, look down at my wrist and say woah is that a rolex. Its a bit too much
Yes, it is all getting a bit over the top.
We can only hope it's transitory.

I've run into people that don't know I'm into watches and heard them talk of Rolex like it's some sort of holy grail and they don't even wear a watch let alone can afford the admission into the club, have ever handled a genuine example in their hands, or even tried one on.
I can only assume they're getting it off social media and they're all hyping themselves and each other up over it all.
Then there's shows on TV with interesting presentations of vintage Pepsi's etc, that were bought for X amount and are worth many multiples in this day and age.
I see Omega have had some exposure in this area as well
It doesn't help matters all that much when we have people posting links to these shows all over social media and journalistic pieces appearing on the internet featuring these shows.
The fact that our phones are picking up on cues through listening to our conversations or tracking our searches etc, etc doesn't help the situation either as within days, related articles are often mysteriously popping up on out phones when we open them up.

It's this modern world I'm afraid
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2022, 01:07 PM   #97
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Does the current AD experience make you dislike watches?

Rolexes have been used for flex purposes since the 80s. It is definitely not new. At all.

They are also the only fancy watch brand that most people knew as far back as the 80s.

bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2022, 08:37 PM   #98
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
Rolexes have been used for flex purposes since the 80s. It is definitely not new. At all.

They are also the only fancy watch brand that most people knew as far back as the 80s.

Yes, but it was the DJ and DD that were king then. My 16610 sat in the case for over a year before it was snapped up. The SS models did fly under the radar back in those days before the instabooks and such. There was a post a few days ago in the vintage section here of a fellow that got a several year old NOS sub marked at a discount in the 80’s.

The cost has also far exceeded inflation fueling the hype. I mean back in the 80’s and perhaps into the 90’s a SS sport watch was attainable to some degree and now between the costs skyrocketing along with the fake scarcity has turned it into something else entirely. Back before the hype, I also think that folks had respect for other brands as well. Now for most, it’s Rolex or bust, and the only reason for the other brands (AP, PP, RM) is for status within the Watch community or people in the know, those brands are generally unknown outside the Watch community and irrelevant to those outside the community.

Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2022, 12:51 AM   #99
toasty
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, 116500LN
Leaves me disliking watches? No.
Do I still want another Rolex? Yes.
Can I be bothered jumping through hoops to get one? No, not anymore.
toasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2022, 02:11 AM   #100
Oceanlover914
"TRF" Member

Watch: None at the moment
No. I still like watches and love Rolexes. However, I have come to the realization that I will never get the ones I want at MSRP so I have stopped even trying to get one. I refuse to pay double MSRP for anything.
Old 8 July 2022, 10:05 PM   #101
Filo25
"TRF" Member

I now reverse all my earlier complaining, as I just got the call.

Demand situation really must be easing if they are selling to me in London!

Call was for DeepSea, D-Blue.
Filo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2022, 01:04 PM   #102
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

I have a great AD who all I have to do is tell them what I want and they'll get it. May take a month, may take a year, may take two, but they will come through.

I also don't abuse it by requesting a bunch of hot models all at once. You got to space things out, and anyway, I'm not that interested in many of those models and am not a flipper so no point asking for them.

I do really miss the days where they had pretty much everything but a Daytona in the case and available. I don't go in that much anymore because there's little to see.

I'm about 3.5 years out from my next request...a DD40 for my 50th. Might get my wife a mint green DJ though for her birthday next year. I think she'd love it.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2022, 01:41 PM   #103
gtruex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii 16570
The AD experience does have an impact on me. My local AD in Indiana has been honest and straight forward. I bought a datejust 41 from them at the end of last year with minimal wait. I have 3 Rolex and many other brands. I was just in Las Vegas las week staying at the Wynn and I think that experience sums up the norm now. Watches of Switzerland was inviting, had stock, no velvet rope, and wanted to engage and talk. The Rolex boutique next door (also part of Watches of Switzerland), had no stock, the standard velvet rope, and wanted me to wait to enter when there was literally not a single customer in the store. The velvet rope BS for any brand is a big heart burn to me. It just screams arrogance and is the biggest turn-off. That turns me off to Rolex and any brand that takes that approach. The holier than thou attitude at some of these locations is ridiculous. Some people eat it up and love it. Kills the vibe and the deal for me and makes me a non-buyer at these companies. My 2 cents.
gtruex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2022, 01:46 PM   #104
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Not today.
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote