The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 July 2022, 01:24 PM   #1
Varus27
"TRF" Member

RSC Issues with Warranty Repair

Hello all,

I am super OCD with my watches, and also might be one of the unluckiest dudes lol.
So recently got a Bluesy (yay!) but noticed a speck of dust floating inside the watch AND a smudge on the dial that looked like dried water. I sent it in to RSC. They removed the speck of dust or lint, but didn't do ANYTHING at all for the smudge. My AD speculated they might change the dial, but its almost as if they didn't care. Am going in to send it back again but its been a pain. Anyone else have issues with RSC?
See pics for issues:https://imgur.com/a/mLPT09n

Am I being too OCD or would you all be bothered by this in a brand new Bluesy too?
Varus27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 01:58 PM   #2
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

I don’t know how I would react if I was in your situation but I think sending it back to RSC is a good idea for you. Get it done and over with and it’ll be back in due time
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 02:00 PM   #3
amanbra
"TRF" Member

if it bugs you it bugs you and RSC should be working to a higher standard then that.
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 04:46 PM   #4
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
Yes, so unlucky to have some dust on your new, gold, Rolex timepiece.

Everyone, please pray for the most unlucky of men...
Ollie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 04:57 PM   #5
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

That reminds me of a friend of mine who bought an entry level luxury sedan and found a rock chip a few days later and demand the dealership to repair it. Haha she's what you'd call a Karen these days.

I mean it's your watch and your relationship with your AD. It honestly wouldn't bother me, but that's just me. So yes you are too OCD, but you do you.
amphr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 05:37 PM   #6
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Every watch I own has a slight defect under your magnification.

That’s why I can pick it out in a crowd.

That makes it my watch.

Enjoy wearing your one.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 06:03 PM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amphora001 View Post
That reminds me of a friend of mine who bought an entry level luxury sedan and found a rock chip a few days later and demand the dealership to repair it. Haha she's what you'd call a Karen these days.

I mean it's your watch and your relationship with your AD. It honestly wouldn't bother me, but that's just me. So yes you are too OCD, but you do you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Every watch I own has a slight defect under your magnification.

That’s why I can pick it out in a crowd.

That makes it my watch.

Enjoy wearing your one.

Have to agree today loupes and high magnification can and often will be a Rolex owners worst enemy..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 07:54 PM   #8
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Yes. You are being OCD.
Old 1 July 2022, 07:59 PM   #9
swatty
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Game
Wondering if you can see any of this with the naked eye ?
Old 1 July 2022, 08:44 PM   #10
You
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum Daytona
If you can see the smudge just by looking at it then yes you should get it fixed, that would bother me so much.
You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 09:09 PM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
A picture is worth a thousand words
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 09:16 PM   #12
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Your watch, your choice. Get it fixed and then enjoy your watch and put down any type of magnification and stop with the OCD.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 09:52 PM   #13
dannyp
Banned

A smudge of dirt/fingerprints/other substance, I'd be inclined to send back. A smudge resulting from a slight irregularity in the paint on the dial itself, I doubt I'd care. Also, isn't that a sunburst dial? Those sometimes look smudged depending on the light even though they aren't.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 09:59 PM   #14
AbeFroman
Banned

That looks to be a defect in the dial color.

I would recommend to wear the watch for a few weeks. If it still bothers you after those few weeks then send it back, but just remember that it could return with additional hairline scratches, ding, etc elsewhere.

I was like you when I first started collecting. I’m a very meticulous person in general and can easily pick out flaws w/o any magnification assistance. Heck, even my career requires me to as well. I slowly learned in this hobby that every flaw you chase requiring the RSC to open the watch increases the chance of additional damage to occur despite their best intentions to care for the watch.

I had an Omega Planet Ocean I bought new in fall of 2018. The hour hand was off center with the markers whenever it strike a new hour. I sent it to the Omega Service Center who totally butchered the repair. The watch came back with fingerprint smudges both on the crystal and dial, dust, and scratched anti-reflective coating. I had to send it back a total of five times, 3 to the Culver City and 2 to the NJ location. Every time it would come back with a new issue. I eventually got it touch with senior leadership who finally had things sorted on the final visit. I grew to resent that watch afterwards so eventually sold it and took a significant bath in value, but that was just because it’s an Omega. I’ll never own one of their products again. I don’t have many nice things to say about Swatch products so I’ll leave it at that.

I picked up a SS SkyD six months later and discovered a paint blemish in my SkyD dial. I swung by the Dallas RSC who acknowledged the paint blemish and mentioned they could replace the dial if I wished, but also said I could wait till near end of warranty. It was my choice of how to proceed. At first, it bothered me significantly opening a brand new watch so I wore it for a few weeks and now it no longer phases me. I will eventually get it replaced when the warranty end nears. I enjoy the hobby a lot more now after my experiences and adjusting my expectations.

Point is, you have to pick your battles with the flaws in these watches. Ask yourself, if additional damage occurs would it have been worth it sorting the original problem?
AbeFroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 01:15 AM   #15
Varus27
"TRF" Member

I appreciate everyone's responses, some kinder than others.
AD called RSC in front of me and they said they saw the defect and cleaned the dial, but admitted it's still there and they didn't change the dial. They admitted QC issues when I bought the watch, yet are saying I need to pay $400 for a new dial. Super frustrated at this point.
Old 2 July 2022, 01:20 AM   #16
AbeFroman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varus27 View Post
I appreciate everyone's responses, some kinder than others.
AD called RSC in front of me and they said they saw the defect and cleaned the dial, but admitted it's still there and they didn't change the dial. They admitted QC issues when I bought the watch, yet are saying I need to pay $400 for a new dial. Super frustrated at this point.
My recommendation still stands. Wear it for a few weeks then decide on the course of action.

I personally would leave it alone. I understand how frustrating it may be, but imagine paying $400 for a new dial and then having it come back with something else wrong. Could be the beginning of a rabbit hole. Not worth the hassle for something relatively speaking, very minor.

Out of curiosity, which RSC was it sent to?
AbeFroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 02:39 AM   #17
Varus27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeFroman View Post
My recommendation still stands. Wear it for a few weeks then decide on the course of action.

I personally would leave it alone. I understand how frustrating it may be, but imagine paying $400 for a new dial and then having it come back with something else wrong. Could be the beginning of a rabbit hole. Not worth the hassle for something relatively speaking, very minor.

Out of curiosity, which RSC was it sent to?
I appreciate the advice and this may be the route I go with. As for the RSC, not sure which one it was sent to tbh. The AD has been VERY understanding and helpful, and are a bit frustrated that they admitted QC issues and aren't redialing the watch either.
Old 2 July 2022, 02:46 AM   #18
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Rolex doesn't have the same execution standards as some of the brands that are well above it in price point. Their niche is a well-crafted watch with a rugged, accurate movement. Under high magnification their attention to detail is often less than perfect. So unless it is a really glaring manufacturing error, visible without magnification. they will often say it is within tolerance.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 02:57 AM   #19
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

If I can see a flaw on the dial with my naked eye or reading glasses, it should be rectified. That standard of finish isn't good enough although QC issues do crop up from time to time.

If I couldn't see it without a loupe I would class it as functionally invisible. Most things look awful if you magnify them enough.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 03:02 AM   #20
You
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum Daytona
I would pay the $400 and get a new dial. It is worth it if it bothers you so much. It would definetly bother me.
You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 03:47 AM   #21
Varus27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
If I can see a flaw on the dial with my naked eye or reading glasses, it should be rectified. That standard of finish isn't good enough although QC issues do crop up from time to time.

If I couldn't see it without a loupe I would class it as functionally invisible. Most things look awful if you magnify them enough.
Well said. In this case under certain light, you can see the dust and dial discoloration without a loupe, although you really have to look. Hopefully they figure something out for this situation.
Old 2 July 2022, 07:06 AM   #22
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I thoroughly inspect every watch I buy with a loupe, takes less than a minute, saves months of hassle, adds days to life expectancy.

Take it back if you must, OP. I would. So slopy.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 12:58 PM   #23
cht
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
On your third picture, what is going on with the hands? Edges look all scratched up
cht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 02:11 PM   #24
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
This is why I don’t look at my watches with a loupe. Lol

In all seriousness, I bought a new 41mm Bluesy about 1.5 years ago and noticed a very small scratch/hair just above the serial number on the rehaut. It is barely noticeable and I ultimately decided sending it to RSC wasn’t worth the trouble.

Turns out it hasn’t bothered me at all since I first noticed it. But a smudge on that beautiful blue dial would bother me for sure . . . I would send it back!
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 03:05 PM   #25
Skavary
"TRF" Member

I think another thing to consider is the more RSC handles the watch, the more the watch is handled my others, the more scratches it could possibly have. Some watch technicians at RSC can be very careless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Skavary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 04:43 PM   #26
RogerOP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cht View Post
On your third picture, what is going on with the hands? Edges look all scratched up

That’s Rolex for you.

Watch this: https://youtu.be/hsPZURSJEDQ

Rolex are not really a luxury watch brand anymore. No hand finishing, scratches, dust, etc = average.
RogerOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 06:11 PM   #27
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerOP View Post
That’s Rolex for you.

Watch this: https://youtu.be/hsPZURSJEDQ

Rolex are not really a luxury watch brand anymore. No hand finishing, scratches, dust, etc = average.
Today to those who think that Rolex mechanical watches are produced by hundreds of little elves, restlessly filing, smoothing, grinding, polishing watch parts. And that they are made by grey-haired little old watchmakers, sitting bent at their tables for countless hours, somewhere in the Swiss mountains afraid they would be vastly mistaken. Sure there is still a small percentage with the hands on approach but look at the figures 750000- 950000 unit watches a year. And once you have the design for cases, movements etc the Rolex robots can churn then out by the thousands. But as only the bare uncased movement are still tested at the COSC to get the Swiss chronometer certification, no winding rotor module,dial, date wheel, now these could be added to the movement to be finished by hand later. This was a past much advertised Rolex quote it takes 12 months to make a Rolex oyster this is what advertisement tries to sell us, but IMHO its light years away from reality and just marketing.{marketing today IMHO is mostly 90% bullst#te and only 10%fact}

IMHO in today's, modern watch production world its now primarily an issue of engineers, computer techs, and metallurgists, various technicians, and specially trained workers. Once you have the design and tooling for vast production,then you can make them by the many thousands. And as the parts are robot machine made, in theory they should be all the same much more easy to get a first time pass rate at COSC, than a movement thats completely hand made, too many variables with a completely hand made movement and just think of the huge extra time cost. IMHO the traditional watchmaking part is all but now the very last thing in modern day mass watch production today. And then only when the movements are fully assembled in case and adjusted many at a time and finally checked again on timing machine before packed and shipped world wide.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 06:53 PM   #28
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

As we age, the lenses of our eyes become harder and less flexible, making it more difficult to see up close. These changes can lead to age-related Blurry Near Vision, also known as presbyopia.

So, don't worry, once you reach forty or so, you won't see those little things.

Put away the loupe and enjoy your watch! Or, keep the loupe and purchase a PP, AP or VC.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 08:00 PM   #29
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Well said. In this case under certain light, you can see the dust and dial discoloration without a loupe, although you really have to look. Hopefully they figure something out for this situation.
I'd have to see it in person, but from what you say I would be sending it back. Personal choice.

When something as expensive as a Rolex is brand new, there should be zero visible defects. Nobody is infallible, so the crunch comes with the quality of after sales service. It sounds like you've been let down twice.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 10:18 PM   #30
gwozhog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello all,

I am super OCD with my watches, and also might be one of the unluckiest dudes lol.
So recently got a Bluesy (yay!) but noticed a speck of dust floating inside the watch AND a smudge on the dial that looked like dried water. I sent it in to RSC. They removed the speck of dust or lint, but didn't do ANYTHING at all for the smudge. My AD speculated they might change the dial, but its almost as if they didn't care. Am going in to send it back again but its been a pain. Anyone else have issues with RSC?
See pics for issues:https://imgur.com/a/mLPT09n

Am I being too OCD or would you all be bothered by this in a brand new Bluesy too?
I once sent a watch to RSC Dallas for dust on the dial and when I got it back the first time I jumped in a pool it filled up with water. I sent it back and demanded a new movement and RSC refused and only did a service. I send all my watches now to the watch buyers group in Cali when ever I need service.
gwozhog is offline   Reply With Quote