The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 July 2022, 12:04 PM   #1
Spongeboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
experiences with Rolex + apple computers and magnetism?

At the beginning of 2020 I got my dream watch, a sub date (a new one). When I got it, I wore it pretty much every waking hour of every day. Probably the only exception was I learned not to wear it when working on cars because it was hard to get grease out of it and it also tended to get in the way. Over the first 18 months it basically gained on average +1 SPD.

I do computer work for a living, so I am on a laptop for 8-10 hours a day, including for those first 18 months.

About a year ago I started a new job which involved getting a new laptop, a 2020 MacBook Pro laptop. What I found was, suddenly my watch was running fast all the time. Eventually it got to where it was running +30 SPD which is just crazy. I figured out that there are powerful magnets in the MacBook .. (used an iPhone app called MGS Lite to confirm this). Also there are powerful magnets in my iPad Pro! I bought a cheap degausser and it definitely settles things down for awhile.

I've adjusted my setup to where I have a separate keyboard (no magnets) and keep my iPad off to the side instead of laying right next to my keyboard. So my watch will behave normally and then one day it will suddenly get magnetized again. Another thing that happened recently was I obtained a set of AirPods with a case .. and that also has a powerful magnet. So there are just too many magnets! And around computers of all things! Growing up, those two things did not mix ....

In any case, wondering about the experiences of others using your Rolex around Apple products. I know this is not a milgauss, but I thought the modern Rolexes were pretty resistant with the high tech materials used in the mainspring?

Any other sources of magnetism I might be missing ? I have multiple uninterruptible powers supplies nearby.

It sure seems like magnetism is the problem since degaussing will correct it for a few days, sometimes weeks .. but could it be something else ?

Is it going to cause me issues if I am constantly degaussing my watch ?

I pretty much refuse to take my watch off when I'm working because, well, I bought this to wear. It's not the watch I dreamed of HAVING .. it's the watch I dreamed of WEARING.
Spongeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2022, 12:11 PM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Can you imagine what all of that magnetism is doing to you..
Old 4 July 2022, 01:54 PM   #3
Politiceaux
"TRF" Member

Wow. Certainly unacceptable for supposedly robust watches at this price point if it's really getting magnetized from laptops and iPads.
Politiceaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2022, 01:55 PM   #4
dannyp
Banned

So what you’re saying is that this is like when you start a new romantic relationship, and it’s great, but they have a cast you’re allergic to, and you need them to decide which that’s keeping, you or the cat?

Only in this case, the Sub is “you” and your computer (job?) is the cat.

Seriously though, I thought all computers had magnets and that the new Sub was unlikely to become magnetized unless exposed to ultra high fields.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2022, 04:37 PM   #5
KathleenL
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 279171-0001
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
So what you’re saying is that this is like when you start a new romantic relationship, and it’s great, but they have a cast you’re allergic to, and you need them to decide which that’s keeping, you or the cat?

Seriously though, I thought all computers had magnets and that the new Sub was unlikely to become magnetized unless exposed to ultra high fields.
I've had cats all my life. The first time Hubs came to my house when we first began seeing each other (eons ago), my cat Bitsy walked through the room. Not-yet-Hubs said, "oh, you have a cat?" I replied, "I have three cats. Why?" He said, "I'm allergic." I thought, "well, there goes this relationship." Forty-one years later, here we are, but we have only one cat. Through the years we have had six cats. Hubs apparently has developed a resistance, and only has an issue if he pets the cat and then gets his hand near his eyes.

So, yeah, you can adapt your computing habits to keep your watch away from magnets. But, I thought that Rolex basically eliminated magnetic issues. The official documentation on my Rolex includes this statement:
Fitted with a Syloxi hairspring in
silicon, patented by Rolex, it offers a superlative level of
chronometric performance. Insensitive to magnetic fields,
the Syloxi hairspring provides great stability in the face of
temperature variations and remains up to 10 times more
precise than a traditional hairspring in case of shocks. Its
patented geometry ensures its regularity in any position.
KathleenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2022, 05:33 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongeboy View Post
At the beginning of 2020 I got my dream watch, a sub date (a new one). When I got it, I wore it pretty much every waking hour of every day. Probably the only exception was I learned not to wear it when working on cars because it was hard to get grease out of it and it also tended to get in the way. Over the first 18 months it basically gained on average +1 SPD.

I do computer work for a living, so I am on a laptop for 8-10 hours a day, including for those first 18 months.

About a year ago I started a new job which involved getting a new laptop, a 2020 MacBook Pro laptop. What I found was, suddenly my watch was running fast all the time. Eventually it got to where it was running +30 SPD which is just crazy. I figured out that there are powerful magnets in the MacBook .. (used an iPhone app called MGS Lite to confirm this). Also there are powerful magnets in my iPad Pro! I bought a cheap degausser and it definitely settles things down for awhile.

I've adjusted my setup to where I have a separate keyboard (no magnets) and keep my iPad off to the side instead of laying right next to my keyboard. So my watch will behave normally and then one day it will suddenly get magnetized again. Another thing that happened recently was I obtained a set of AirPods with a case .. and that also has a powerful magnet. So there are just too many magnets! And around computers of all things! Growing up, those two things did not mix ....

In any case, wondering about the experiences of others using your Rolex around Apple products. I know this is not a milgauss, but I thought the modern Rolexes were pretty resistant with the high tech materials used in the mainspring?

Any other sources of magnetism I might be missing ? I have multiple uninterruptible powers supplies nearby.

It sure seems like magnetism is the problem since degaussing will correct it for a few days, sometimes weeks .. but could it be something else ?

Is it going to cause me issues if I am constantly degaussing my watch ?

I pretty much refuse to take my watch off when I'm working because, well, I bought this to wear. It's not the watch I dreamed of HAVING .. it's the watch I dreamed of WEARING.
Well myself used to work with and around very powerful electro magnets that could lift over 25 tones.Yet never ever had any of my watches magnetised. Now I sometimes work use and repair powerful transceivers and RF amplifiers mainly for friends and other local HAMs. Now these give out a very powerful magnetic field, even our own body produce's a magnetic field. Yes its is possible to magnetise a watch if in contact with a very strong magnetic field .Today IMHO magnetism in watches is often just a cop out for simple regulation.But if any watch that show systems of being magnetised speeding up and not by just a couple of seconds possible minutes or more.Or running very very erratic then stopping and refuse start then its possible its magnetised. But its a very simple task to de-magnetise you can even do it yourself for very little money, or most any high street jeweler/watchmaker could do it while you wait. But most all Swiss watches made today including Rolex have to pass the Swiss standard test for anti-magnetic watches .This is to withstand a strong magnetic field of 4800 Amps per meter,and to keeps on running with a maximum deviation of 15- 30 seconds per day.Now this test I am 100% sure that 90%-95% of all watch wearers would never subject or come into contact with such a strong magnetic field. Myself would not worry in the slightest about magnetism with any Rolex watch in normal everyday wearing.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2022, 07:50 PM   #7
adawil2002
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16550 Explorer II
I have worked with Apple computers since 1991. I have worn a Rolex everyday all day since 1986 with zero effects. Think the only 'magnetism' is my charming personality or I keep looking at the time & wind up admiring my watch instead.

Your mileage may vary.
6284 SS, 16014 SS Jubilee silver stick, 16253 TT Blue Thunderbird, 16550 SS Exp II Cream, bought in 1986, 116400GV Z-blue Milgauss, 79260 Tudor, 116660 DSSD-Blue, 116500LV Daytona White, 116710 BLNR, 326934 Blue Skydweller
adawil2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2022, 07:52 PM   #8
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Welcome to the forum. I have three watches sitting next to my iPad pro and have no issues. Worked with computers and audio equipment for years and never had a problem.

Good luck.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2022, 07:53 PM   #9
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I think you are definitely missing something.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2022, 08:08 PM   #10
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Op, where do you store your watch at night?

Back at the turn of this decade, I got a new Explorer I from my AD. Got magnetized right out of the box.

Tracked the source to where I was storing it on a winder overnight. Which happened to be right behind the charging port on my MacBook Pro, which of course attached with a magnet.
Old 4 July 2022, 09:15 PM   #11
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Might be something else with the watch. If you have access to a Rolex Tech or other certified watch repair person why not have them give it a look. If not, a trip to the RSC for evaluation while the watch is under warranty would be wise. I find it hard to believe it is the magnets but anything is possible. Keep us posted.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2022, 11:08 PM   #12
Spongeboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Op, where do you store your watch at night?

Back at the turn of this decade, I got a new Explorer I from my AD. Got magnetized right out of the box.

Tracked the source to where I was storing it on a winder overnight. Which happened to be right behind the charging port on my MacBook Pro, which of course attached with a magnet.
I did check the nightstand for magnetism nothing much there.
Old 4 July 2022, 11:11 PM   #13
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenL View Post
I've had cats all my life. The first time Hubs came to my house when we first began seeing each other (eons ago), my cat Bitsy walked through the room. Not-yet-Hubs said, "oh, you have a cat?" I replied, "I have three cats. Why?" He said, "I'm allergic." I thought, "well, there goes this relationship." Forty-one years later, here we are, but we have only one cat. Through the years we have had six cats. Hubs apparently has developed a resistance, and only has an issue if he pets the cat and then gets his hand near his eyes.

So, yeah, you can adapt your computing habits to keep your watch away from magnets. But, I thought that Rolex basically eliminated magnetic issues. The official documentation on my Rolex includes this statement:
Fitted with a Syloxi hairspring in
silicon, patented by Rolex, it offers a superlative level of
chronometric performance. Insensitive to magnetic fields,
the Syloxi hairspring provides great stability in the face of
temperature variations and remains up to 10 times more
precise than a traditional hairspring in case of shocks. Its
patented geometry ensures its regularity in any position.
Ah yes, but you wear a YM37, if I recall, right? That watch is indeed fitted with the Syloxi spring, while the OP's Sub is fitted with the Parachrome hairspring (largely antimagnetic, but not completely impervious as yours is).

So I suppose a downsize do the YM37 or OP34 is one solution, but not one I'm guessing he's considering ;).
Old 4 July 2022, 11:13 PM   #14
Spongeboy
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the replies. The perspective helps. I live in a small town in the central part of Virginia .. anyone know of a good watchmaker anywhere in Virginia or NC? I do travel around the state a good bit. The AD where I bought it doesn’t even have a degausser. They basically wouldn’t even look at it.
Old 4 July 2022, 11:15 PM   #15
Spongeboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ah yes, but you wear a YM37, if I recall, right? That watch is indeed fitted with the Syloxi spring, while the OP's Sub is fitted with the Parachrome hairspring (largely antimagnetic, but not completely impervious as yours is).

So I suppose a downsize do the YM37 or OP34 is one solution, but not one I'm guessing he's considering ;).
That’s right I’m quite attached to this watch it has sentimental value. But the many perspectives do get me thinking there might be more going on here.
Old 4 July 2022, 11:31 PM   #16
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
I spend all day working with a recent gen iPad and on my iPhone 12 with MagSafe. While I have indeed worried about magnetism from these devices I haven’t experienced it with Rolex or any of the other ostensibly less robust watches I own. I’m not saying our situation is the the same I’m just saying that I’ve been observant and haven’t experienced the same result.
Kevin of Larchmont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2022, 11:35 PM   #17
Omarion07
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I don’t think OPs sub is the latest 126610 because these weren’t released in early 2020. I wonder if the 3135 parachrom hairspring is more permeable to magnetism than the current 3235.
Omarion07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2022, 11:43 PM   #18
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I'm in front of a 27" iMac a fair amount, with bluetooth keyboard and Magic Mouse. I've never had a magnetizing issue and have been using a MBP and then an iMac for the last 15+ years.
Old 4 July 2022, 11:45 PM   #19
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omarion07 View Post
I don’t think OPs sub is the latest 126610 because these weren’t released in early 2020. I wonder if the 3135 parachrom hairspring is more permeable to magnetism than the current 3235.
I thought the whole point of the parachrom hairspring was it’s resistance to magnetism.
Kevin of Larchmont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2022, 11:56 PM   #20
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Something else may be going on on, IMHO.

My Sub is constantly resting on the palm rest of my 16-inch MBP and in close proximity to my iPhone 13 Pro. For that matter, my watch is is pretty close proximity to 3.5-inch HDDs that have pretty strong magnets in them. I have never had an issue at all.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2022, 12:20 AM   #21
Omarion07
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
I thought the whole point of the parachrom hairspring was it’s resistance to magnetism.

Correct.. but I wonder if they’ve “improved” it with the new(ish) 32XX series?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5 July 2022, 12:32 AM   #22
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omarion07 View Post
Correct.. but I wonder if they’ve “improved” it with the new(ish) 32XX series?

The parachrom hairspring was first introduced with the cal 4130 movement in the Daytona way back in 2000 but then it was more of a grey colour. Now the only change is now its blue colour by a chemical prosses, and has the same anti-magnetic properties as the ones from 2000.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2022, 12:39 AM   #23
TOS-1A
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongeboy View Post
I've been wearing my Sub Date (116610LN) while working on a MacBook Pro five days a week for the past two years. No issues with magnetism.
TOS-1A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2022, 12:45 AM   #24
Omarion07
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
The parachrom hairspring was first introduced with the cal 4130 movement in the Daytona way back in 2000 but then it was more of a grey colour. Now the only change is now its blue colour by a chemical prosses, and has the same anti-magnetic properties as the ones from 2000.

Oh ok.. only colour change so! Cheers Padi

Old 5 July 2022, 12:58 AM   #25
Bladeshot

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
I’ve worked with my watches resting on MacBook Pro for years. Use an iPad Pro, and air pods all around me. You know, the new iPhone 13 has a MagSafe magnetic feature which is quite strong. I have one of those and my watch is always inches from the phone.

I have no issues with any modern or vintage Rolex being magnetized in that environment.

Point is, I think it’s something else. Can’t say what, though… hope you find it.
Old 5 July 2022, 01:05 AM   #26
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Most hairsprings made today are non-magnetic materials.

There are still plenty of parts inside the watch that can, and do, pick up magnetism. It is seldom about the hairspring any more.
Old 5 July 2022, 03:20 AM   #27
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
So I have a 16610, and it gets magnetized often (like once a month perhaps more) and runs anywhere from +6-12 in those instances. I have and use many apple products but I suspect is from grabbing the milk in the refrigerator (my hand goes right by the magnetic strip) several times a day. Folks here can get defensive, but Omega is far ahead of Rolex with antimagnetic movements and more and more things will continue to have magnets in them. Not a big deal however, as the de-magnitizer is like 15 bucks and takes about half a minute.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2022, 04:44 AM   #28
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Most hairsprings made today are non-magnetic materials.

There are still plenty of parts inside the watch that can, and do, pick up magnetism. It is seldom about the hairspring any more.
However I had an experienced watchmaker tell me that these other parts magnetizing will often lead to the watch running slow, due to increased friction.
Old 5 July 2022, 06:26 AM   #29
Spongeboy
"TRF" Member

I do appreciate the warm welcome to the forum and thanks to all who have posted so far. I will update on my investigation when I know more.
Old 5 July 2022, 06:30 AM   #30
Spongeboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS-1A View Post
I've been wearing my Sub Date (116610LN) while working on a MacBook Pro five days a week for the past two years. No issues with magnetism.
You and a few others have answered one question I had, namely: are all the Mac users wearing Apple Watch so they don’t care about this ? But I feel better knowing that I should be able to work on my MacBook whilst wearing my watch. That is what I intend to do, one way or another. I’ll have to get my sub checked out I guess.