The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 July 2022, 06:36 AM   #31
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongeboy View Post
You and a few others have answered one question I had, namely: are all the Mac users wearing Apple Watch so they don’t care about this ? But I feel better knowing that I should be able to work on my MacBook whilst wearing my watch. That is what I intend to do, one way or another. I’ll have to get my sub checked out I guess.
Well, you said that a demagnetizing device took care of the problem initially, right? So sounds like magnetism is the likely issue - seems like bigger question is source.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2022, 07:39 AM   #32
Fred_Tan
Banned

Watch: Bumble Bee
Only ppl who should be concerned about magnetizing their watches are those who works at hydroelectric or wind turbine plants/tower.
Or medical technician who really wanna to live dangerously and din remove metal objects when performing medical MRI scans on their patients.
Unless one can wind down jet plane windows while it’s up in the air cruising with air friction, no watch can be magnetized just by working on the insides or outsides of any laptop, desktop, LED, OLED & QLED panel
Fred_Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2022, 09:43 AM   #33
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

2017 MacBook Pro, 2022 MacMini, 2016 iPad Pro, 2022 iPhone 13 ProMax, and none of the issues.

That experience crosses watches ranging from a 5-digit DJ, a Platona, Omega from 1965, and 2012 PP Calatrava.

What else in your environment might you consider the culprits affecting your watch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2022, 10:59 AM   #34
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
At the beginning of 2020 I got my dream watch, a sub date (a new one). When I got it, I wore it pretty much every waking hour of every day. Probably the only exception was I learned not to wear it when working on cars because it was hard to get grease out of it and it also tended to get in the way. Over the first 18 months it basically gained on average +1 SPD.

I do computer work for a living, so I am on a laptop for 8-10 hours a day, including for those first 18 months.

About a year ago I started a new job which involved getting a new laptop, a 2020 MacBook Pro laptop. What I found was, suddenly my watch was running fast all the time. Eventually it got to where it was running +30 SPD which is just crazy. I figured out that there are powerful magnets in the MacBook .. (used an iPhone app called MGS Lite to confirm this). Also there are powerful magnets in my iPad Pro! I bought a cheap degausser and it definitely settles things down for awhile.

I've adjusted my setup to where I have a separate keyboard (no magnets) and keep my iPad off to the side instead of laying right next to my keyboard. So my watch will behave normally and then one day it will suddenly get magnetized again. Another thing that happened recently was I obtained a set of AirPods with a case .. and that also has a powerful magnet. So there are just too many magnets! And around computers of all things! Growing up, those two things did not mix ....

In any case, wondering about the experiences of others using your Rolex around Apple products. I know this is not a milgauss, but I thought the modern Rolexes were pretty resistant with the high tech materials used in the mainspring?

Any other sources of magnetism I might be missing ? I have multiple uninterruptible powers supplies nearby.

It sure seems like magnetism is the problem since degaussing will correct it for a few days, sometimes weeks .. but could it be something else ?

Is it going to cause me issues if I am constantly degaussing my watch ?

I pretty much refuse to take my watch off when I'm working because, well, I bought this to wear. It's not the watch I dreamed of HAVING .. it's the watch I dreamed of WEARING.

I've been on a MacBook Air and/or Pro 7 days a week for like 8 years...I've never had a problem and your not either, well at least from the MacBook.
SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2022, 11:00 AM   #35
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politiceaux View Post
Wow. Certainly unacceptable for supposedly robust watches at this price point if it's really getting magnetized from laptops and iPads.
Agreed. Good thing they are not though.
SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2022, 11:53 AM   #36
KathleenL
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 279171-0001
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Ah yes, but you wear a YM37, if I recall, right? That watch is indeed fitted with the Syloxi spring, while the OP's Sub is fitted with the Parachrome hairspring (largely antimagnetic, but not completely impervious as yours is).

So I suppose a downsize do the YM37 or OP34 is one solution, but not one I'm guessing he's considering ;).
No, I wear a 28mm Lady Datejust. Brand new in May 2021. It's referenced to the left, just above my post count.
KathleenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2022, 04:04 PM   #37
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

Never had an issue with Macs. They are full of magnets (same with iPhone) but apparently not strong enough to cause issues with watches.
However, my son has one of those keyboards with a detachable armrest. Apparently, the magnets that hold that in place are very strong and magnetized my old Speedy. It ran minutes fast after. Putting it through the demagnetized brought things back to normal (it’s otherwise my most accurate watch).
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2022, 06:06 PM   #38
eonflux
"TRF" Member

A free phone app can check your watch for magnetization.

An inexpensive demagnetizer from Amazon would cost less than driving to your AD and back.

eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2022, 07:08 PM   #39
amanbra
"TRF" Member

I’ve never had issues with Rolexes but my moonwatch from 5 years ago and Nomos got affected. Pretty sure it was the laptop. My Rolexes have been pretty good against an iPad Pro with the magnetic keyboard.
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2022, 12:44 AM   #40
Carondelet
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, 116900
To OP:

I'm no watch expert, so take this with a grain of salt.
As I understand, a magnetized watch will run much faster than 30s/day. Somewhere on the order of magnitude of minutes fast per day. I'm not saying that it's not magnetized, but it could be another issue a well.
Old 7 July 2022, 02:42 AM   #41
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Magnetization can cause a small change in running rate.
Learned this from an experience with my GMT (116710) several years ago:

It was running dead even (+/- 0 sec/day) for several months after I got it.
Then suddenly shifted to -3 sec/day.

I took it to the Rolex service in San Francisco run by Giovanni.

After hearing my story, he theorized perhaps it had gotten magnetized which I found surprising given what I had heard that 1) magnetization causes increases in rate, and 2) the rate increase is usually significant.

Giovanni said the Parachrom balance springs are resistant to magnetization but other components in the movement can get a little "sticky" if magnetized which results in a slower rate.

He put my watch on his timer, and it was running a little slow.
He demagnetized my GMT, and checked the rate, and it was back to running +/- 0.
After I got home, that rate held.

Trying to figure out what had magnetized that watch, I had started using a shoulder bag with magnetic clasps for the flap that my hand often was next to. I cut out the magnets, and have since tried to keep my watches away from magnets.

The phone app I shared above has been really useful.
Another watch I have that usually runs slightly positive (~ +1 sec every couple of days when worn regularly) will run slower (-2-3 sec/day) when it gets magnetized.
My demagnetizer will return it to its usual running rate.
Old 7 July 2022, 02:52 AM   #42
simon101
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 124270
[QUOTE=eonflux;12257476]A free phone app can check your watch for magnetization.

An inexpensive demagnetizer from Amazon would cost less than driving to your AD and back.

Could the iPhone that has the magnetism detecting app cause magnetism?
simon101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2022, 03:29 AM   #43
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon101 View Post

Could the iPhone that has the magnetism detecting app cause magnetism?
I wondered about that.

You only need bring your watch close to the phone for a brief period of time to use the app, and I do it twice, with 2 orientations rotated 180 deg apart which should mitigate potential effects from the phone.

After demag, I use the app again to confirm the procedure worked.
Old 7 July 2022, 03:40 AM   #44
Meyrin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060
I´ve been using Apple desktops every day since 1991 (currently a 2018 27" iMac), and have been wearing my Submariner in front of various Macs since 1996. Never noticed any problems, and since 2015 there have also been various iPhones on my desk too. Maybe I've been lucky...?
Meyrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2022, 03:46 AM   #45
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post

After hearing my story, he theorized perhaps it had gotten magnetized which I found surprising given what I had heard that 1) magnetization causes increases in rate, and 2) the rate increase is usually significant.

Giovanni said the Parachrom balance springs are resistant to magnetization but other components in the movement can get a little "sticky" if magnetized which results in a slower rate.

Trying to figure out what had magnetized that watch, I had started using a shoulder bag with magnetic clasps for the flap that my hand often was next to. I cut out the magnets, and have since tried to keep my watches away from magnets.

Another watch I have that usually runs slightly positive (~ +1 sec every couple of days when worn regularly) will run slower (-2-3 sec/day) when it gets magnetized.

Had an experienced watchmaker tell me almost exactly the same thing about small, otherwise unexplained, slow-downs on modern Rolexes.

However he cautioned that the cheap demagnetizers were just as likely to magnetized a watch.
Old 7 July 2022, 05:15 AM   #46
dummykid
"TRF" Member

Quote:

this is the main reason I got an Omega after I got the 112040 because I have a lot of magnets around me. magnets under the keyboard, iphone, my slingbag, my flashlight. I am actually wondering if 3235 would perform better than 3135 because 3235 have more antimagnetic parts.
dummykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2022, 06:45 AM   #47
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
A 2020 sub with the 3235 movement will NOT run fast when magnetized. I work around a devise the generates 9500 gauss. And I magnetized my DJ with it, twice.

My AD was shocked to find that it was magnetized as I sent it in for running slow. My AD was actually excited when they informed me of the situation as it was the 1st 3235 they had seen magnetized. RSC explained that because the escapement is non-magnetic, hair spring, escape wheel and I believe the offset cronegy pallet fork It does not run fast as one would think. It actually runs slow.

This is due because other components are magnetic and want to pull together increasing the drag on the train. Thus running slower.
I had to switch to Omega during that time.. since then all my watches (save one) All have Si hair springs. Which also in itself make them extremely accurate.

I doubt a milgauss is any better than a current watch equipped with a Anti-magnetic escapement. A Faraday cage is not as good of protection as a movement that is entirely Anti-magnetic in the 1st place.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2022, 11:18 PM   #48
Carondelet
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, 116900
This is great info, thank you! I learned something new today!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2020 View Post
A 2020 sub with the 3235 movement will NOT run fast when magnetized. I work around a devise the generates 9500 gauss. And I magnetized my DJ with it, twice.

My AD was shocked to find that it was magnetized as I sent it in for running slow. My AD was actually excited when they informed me of the situation as it was the 1st 3235 they had seen magnetized. RSC explained that because the escapement is non-magnetic, hair spring, escape wheel and I believe the offset cronegy pallet fork It does not run fast as one would think. It actually runs slow.

This is due because other components are magnetic and want to pull together increasing the drag on the train. Thus running slower.
I had to switch to Omega during that time.. since then all my watches (save one) All have Si hair springs. Which also in itself make them extremely accurate.

I doubt a milgauss is any better than a current watch equipped with a Anti-magnetic escapement. A Faraday cage is not as good of protection as a movement that is entirely Anti-magnetic in the 1st place.
Old 13 July 2022, 12:51 AM   #49
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2020 View Post

I've actually wondered at times whether magnetism was the root cause of the "issue" on 32xx movements. I know about the supposed premature wear on parts but had wondered if a super tight tolerance, paired with the extra friction of magnetization, could cause that wear (and ultimately deterioration).

Unlike with old movements, magnetism of non-spring parts is less likely to be noticed by casual observers, and I'm wondering whether 32xx movements weren't exposed to magnetic fields as part of R&D (hence the problem being a surprise).

Would be one of those "perfect storm" incidents, so to speak.
Old 13 July 2022, 12:53 AM   #50
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7enderbender View Post
Never had an issue with Macs. They are full of magnets (same with iPhone) but apparently not strong enough to cause issues with watches.
However, my son has one of those keyboards with a detachable armrest. Apparently, the magnets that hold that in place are very strong and magnetized my old Speedy. It ran minutes fast after. Putting it through the demagnetized brought things back to normal (it’s otherwise my most accurate watch).
Wonder how those compare to the magnets near the trackpad of my Lenovo tablet/laptop computer. I think they're there to hold it shut when closing the screen, but perhaps they're there to attach things to.

Can I use a demagnetizer or other device on them w/o ruining laptop, or is best choice just getting a wireless keyboard and keeping laptop itself a few feet away from my wrist?
Old 13 July 2022, 01:22 AM   #51
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Wonder how those compare to the magnets near the trackpad of my Lenovo tablet/laptop computer. I think they're there to hold it shut when closing the screen, but perhaps they're there to attach things to.

Can I use a demagnetizer or other device on them w/o ruining laptop, or is best choice just getting a wireless keyboard and keeping laptop itself a few feet away from my wrist?
Well... If your laptop has a spinning hard drive you risk losing data on it. SSD's are not susceptible to magnetic fields in the same way but all delicate electronics are. Don't know how strong the field has to be though but you've heard about EMP's/solar flares and all screwing up electronics.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 02:32 AM   #52
Spongeboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I have this one .. I recommend it for every automatic watch owner.
Spongeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 02:36 AM   #53
Spongeboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A free phone app can check your watch for magnetization.

I have this one and I agree .. it’s useful. Just make sure move the watch out if the field before you release the button.
Old 22 July 2022, 02:45 AM   #54
Spongeboy
"TRF" Member

So I think I figured this out. Three days a week, I run, and I always wear my sub. But I wear the bracelet pretty loose. And, I’ve lost some weight recently so it’s even looser than before. Keeping careful track of things, I’m finding that when I run with my sub, it is gaining time. I think the “demagnetizing” was doing nothing .. I was just resetting the time so it “fixed” it until the next run. I do think it’s possible the sub took a hard knock and now is sensitive running/shaking .. but since I stopped running with it I’ve had zero problems. Running -1 spd as always. So I may still send it in but I hate to part with it since it is working fine again.
Old 23 July 2022, 11:45 AM   #55
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
So I think I figured this out. Three days a week, I run, and I always wear my sub. But I wear the bracelet pretty loose. And, I’ve lost some weight recently so it’s even looser than before. Keeping careful track of things, I’m finding that when I run with my sub, it is gaining time. I think the “demagnetizing” was doing nothing .. I was just resetting the time so it “fixed” it until the next run. I do think it’s possible the sub took a hard knock and now is sensitive running/shaking .. but since I stopped running with it I’ve had zero problems. Running -1 spd as always. So I may still send it in but I hate to part with it since it is working fine again.
That's great that you figured it out. My watches will get subjected to much more harsh impacts than running can produce. No influence really. But entirely possible depending on the movement. That's just getting to know your watch! Enjoy!
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2022, 01:25 PM   #56
WilsdorfNDavis
"TRF" Member

My Omega Planet Ocean has no problem around magnets up to 1.5 tesla...

WilsdorfNDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2023, 09:08 AM   #57
RFC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1968 5513 Sub
My Sub 14060m went from +2 to +6/day overnight. Recently serviced. Timegraphed. Degaussed it today. Running now at 0 to +3 in 5 positions. Likely culprit was my Microsoft Surface Pro not Apple. I can’t figure how else I may have magnetized the Sub which must have some internal components made of steel or brass other than the mainspring which can be magnetized causing it to run slightly fast.
RFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2023, 12:39 PM   #58
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
My Sub 14060m went from +2 to +6/day overnight. Recently serviced. Timegraphed. Degaussed it today. Running now at 0 to +3 in 5 positions. Likely culprit was my Microsoft Surface Pro not Apple. I can’t figure how else I may have magnetized the Sub which must have some internal components made of steel or brass other than the mainspring which can be magnetized causing it to run slightly fast.
Funny, I’ve often wondered if a surface is more likely than a Mac to magnetize a watch. Reason being the magnets on a Mac are along the outer edges of the keyboard while the surface has them asking the bottom, near the track pad, right where one’s wrist rests. Figured that out using the bottle top from one of my coffees.
Old 24 February 2023, 01:21 PM   #59
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2024, 05:35 AM   #60
grizzlymambo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
Sorry for necro-threading this, but this thread is interesting and is relevant to most of us given most of us use all these magnetic devices.

Q: went from +2 to +6 s per day: how was this measured? Using a timegrapher, or just against another time signal?

Reason being: if it is measured against another time signal, then is it possible that the watch gains time temporarily while using the Surface Pro and when the Surface Pro is not being used it goes back to +2s/day?

This is important in understanding whether these devices permanently magnetize components, or are those components only affected when the device is used and the internal parts do not retain any magnetism when the device is not being used?
grizzlymambo is offline   Reply With Quote