The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 June 2018, 03:31 AM   #391
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Suarez straight up BLOWS this tourney. That goal today was pure luck on his part, who in the world couldn't put that in?

and honestly, Uruguay is one of those teams who is getting a pass. They honestly look pathetic. They sneaked in past Egypt with 1' to go and got lucky. The goal by Suarez today was a pure gift. I think Russia are going to beat them 2-0.

Cavani is a machine though, do you see how many opportunities he had? None of his teammates are playing on his level.
Yeah - overall they're under-performing imo. I always have high hopes for them for some reason, and they always disappoint. Cavani is a beast! He's like a man among boys haha
Old 21 June 2018, 03:36 AM   #392
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Spain is either winning 5-0 or 1-0. That's my prediction. I go for 5-0, need to see goals today haha
Old 21 June 2018, 03:47 AM   #393
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
Spain is either winning 5-0 or 1-0. That's my prediction. I go for 5-0, need to see goals today haha
If Iran can tie up Spain and Portugal.....they will 100% be through to the next round and Spain or Portugal goes home on GD due to that 3-3 tie. Could you imagine?!?!

I mean it's honestly not out of the question, for them to go ultra, ultra defensive and try for two 0-0 matches.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 04:13 AM   #394
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
if iran can tie up spain and ronaldo.....they will 100% be through to the next round and spain or ronaldo goes home on gd due to that 3-3 tie. Could you imagine?!?!

I mean it's honestly not out of the question, for them to go ultra, ultra defensive and try for two 0-0 matches.
ftfy
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 04:15 AM   #395
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
IRN-SPA

GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 04:26 AM   #396
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
ftfy
It is true. They'd have to be the first team this tournament to prevent him from scoring *gulp*
Old 21 June 2018, 04:38 AM   #397
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If Iran can tie up Spain and Portugal.....they will 100% be through to the next round and Spain or Portugal goes home on GD due to that 3-3 tie. Could you imagine?!?!

Well I guess the 5-0 prediction is out of the question. Iran may as well bring in their physios to defend
Old 21 June 2018, 04:42 AM   #398
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well I guess the 5-0 prediction is out of the question. Iran may as well bring in their physios to defend
I love this kind of football. It makes your eyes bleed it’s so dull but Spain are SO much better than Iran man-for-man yet they can’t break them down or even create one good chance in 40mins. That’s one of the great things about the game.

Either Costa or Ramos are a chance to get sent off if it’s still level at 80min.
Old 21 June 2018, 04:49 AM   #399
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I love this kind of football. It makes your eyes bleed it’s so dull but Spain are SO much better than Iran man-for-man yet they can’t break them down or even create one good chance in 40mins. That’s one of the great things about the game.

Either Costa or Ramos are a chance to get sent off if it’s still level at 80min.
Hahahahaha PLEASE
Old 21 June 2018, 04:51 AM   #400
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Quote:

haha for sure. I get where Iran is coming from and what they're doing, but it drives me insane they're defending for their lives ever since the 10th minute of the game. I'm not he biggest fan of Spain's type of play, but I do like a spectacle and they have soo much more quality (starting mid of Iniesta, Isco, Silva, Busquets...I mean come on). If they get one early second half they'll get 3 more. Otherwise this game may spell trouble for them. They also have to start taking some long-range shots. Walking the ball past the line is impossible the way Iran is defending.
Old 21 June 2018, 04:58 AM   #401
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
haha for sure. I get where Iran is coming from and what they're doing, but it drives me insane they're defending for their lives ever since the 10th minute of the game. I'm not he biggest fan of Spain's type of play, but I do like a spectacle and they have soo much more quality (starting mid of Iniesta, Isco, Silva, Busquets...I mean come on). If they get one early second half they'll get 3 more. Otherwise this game may spell trouble for them. They also have to start taking some long-range shots. Walking the ball past the line is impossible the way Iran is defending.
I noticed this too, they're trying to penetrate the box constantly. I'm betting they're going to launch off some more long range stuff second half. They've got the talent to find the back of the net for sure.
Old 21 June 2018, 05:11 AM   #402
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sadly I think Iran will get knackered from running around all night chasing magicians and I think you’re right, if Spain get one the floodgates will open. If!
Old 21 June 2018, 05:54 AM   #403
dmash
"TRF" Member

They played their hearts out. What an effort.
Old 21 June 2018, 05:56 AM   #404
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

They still have a chance. The game against Ronaldo will be interesting.
Old 21 June 2018, 05:56 AM   #405
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They played their hearts out. What an effort.
They did. Spain pulled through and I can't complain about that.
Old 21 June 2018, 07:36 PM   #406
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Suarez straight up BLOWS this tourney. That goal today was pure luck on his part, who in the world couldn't put that in?

and honestly, Uruguay is one of those teams who is getting a pass. They honestly look pathetic. They sneaked in past Egypt with 1' to go and got lucky. The goal by Suarez today was a pure gift. I think Russia are going to beat them 2-0.

Cavani is a machine though, do you see how many opportunities he had? None of his teammates are playing on his level.
I think Cavani and Ronaldo are excellent counterpoints, both are playing very hard and really giving their all, and yet all the breaks are going Ronaldo's way so far... often times this is the most important thing.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 07:36 PM   #407
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longimanus88 View Post
Go Belgium!!
We got a sick team with some fantastic players playing in the best championships: Courtois, De Bruyne, Hazard, Lukaku, Mertens, Batshuayi, Dembélé, Kompany, Vertonghen,...
Negative points: Nainngolan hasn't been selected (which is beyond understanding, the guy scored 2 goals in the Champions League semi-final and is a lion on the field) and our defense with Kompany and Vermaelen still recovering...
Wait and see, we might lose in quarter final as we might make it till the end...
Batshitcrazy has the best nickname of any player in the history of sports.
Old 21 June 2018, 07:38 PM   #408
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Also, as a side note.....Ronaldo has come to win this World Cup. He is playing ridiculous. Portugal is going to be hard to beat.
In fairness he looks almost like Roy Keane, and that's just about the highest compliment I can pay a player, and I'm sure Ronnie who played with the human dynamo would agree.

Keano has stated he thinks Ronaldo is now the world's best, overtaking Messi... must have been very hard for him to say about the kid.
Old 21 June 2018, 07:43 PM   #409
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Isco is the skills player of the tournament for me so far, love his no-look pass, can see why he's kept Bale out of the Real team and why he's now coming to Utd... hopefully.
Old 21 June 2018, 08:21 PM   #410
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
Spain needs to score plenty of goals versus Morocco, and stay atop Group B, because they do not want to face the host nation team who has a GD of +7. I'm sure they would much prefer to face Uruguay and Suarez, rather than a fierce crowd and lots of payoff money.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 08:58 PM   #411
TeddyS
"TRF" Member

Watch: sea-dweller 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
In fairness he looks almost like Roy Keane, and that's just about the highest compliment I can pay a player, and I'm sure Ronnie who played with the human dynamo would agree.

Keano has stated he thinks Ronaldo is now the world's best, overtaking Messi... must have been very hard for him to say about the kid.

Ronaldo has to be the best on the world. Does it on the big stage. Done it in the two hardest leagues in the world. The guy is a freak of nature

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TeddyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 09:05 PM   #412
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by longimanus88 View Post
Go Belgium!!
We got a sick team with some fantastic players playing in the best championships: Courtois, De Bruyne, Hazard, Lukaku, Mertens, Batshuayi, Dembélé, Kompany, Vertonghen,...
Negative points: Nainngolan hasn't been selected (which is beyond understanding, the guy scored 2 goals in the Champions League semi-final and is a lion on the field) and our defense with Kompany and Vermaelen still recovering...
Wait and see, we might lose in quarter final as we might make it till the end...
I have a tenner on them to win.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 09:12 PM   #413
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyS View Post
Ronaldo has to be the best on the world. Does it on the big stage. Done it in the two hardest leagues in the world. The guy is a freak of nature

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I won't argue with that, while Messi is technically superior, the ability to perform when it matters the most probably does transcend that.
Old 21 June 2018, 09:14 PM   #414
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I have a tenner on them to win.
I wanted them in the sweepstake, but I got Spain and France so I'm happy enough. Iceland and Russia I have a little cash on to progress.
Old 21 June 2018, 09:14 PM   #415
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I won't argue with that, while Messi is technically superior, the ability to perform when it matters the most probably does transcend that.
I'm going to reserve judgement until the group stages are over. It shouldn't affect a player of Messi's caliber, but still, first game jitters are a real thing.....especially when you have the weight he does on his shoulders. If he doesn't have a better showing than that first game though, yes, I will consider him a bit choking. This is his last real hoorah, he's got to make a larger impact than lst week.
Old 21 June 2018, 09:21 PM   #416
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I'm going to reserve judgement until the group stages are over. It shouldn't affect a player of Messi's caliber, but still, first game jitters are a real thing.....especially when you have the weight he does on his shoulders. If he doesn't have a better showing than that first game though, yes, I will consider him a bit choking. This is his last real hoorah, he's got to make a larger impact than lst week.
Yes, too early to say definitively, and I am expecting Messi to rise to the challenge not fade.
Old 21 June 2018, 09:23 PM   #417
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, too early to say definitively, and I am expecting Messi to rise to the challenge not fade.

I can however, say with utmost certainty......if Ronaldo seriously goes out, with a Euro 2016 championship, AND a WC 2018 championship? He will 100% be considered superior to Messi in years to come......and quite frankly one of the best (or the best) ever.
Old 21 June 2018, 09:45 PM   #418
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
Quote:
If he doesn't have a better showing than that first game though, yes, I will consider him a bit choking.
How come you can do that with Messi for not scoring one goal in one match, but when I questioned De Gea's performance versus Switzerland and Portugal (4 goals combined), and who's NOT a top ten GK of all time, you basically called me crazy.

Just want to bring that out in the light to ponder.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 10:11 PM   #419
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakWithMichael View Post
How come you can do that with Messi for not scoring one goal in one match, but when I questioned De Gea's performance versus Switzerland and Portugal (4 goals combined), and who's NOT a top ten GK of all time, you basically called me crazy.

Botching a single save, vs. not creating scoring chances at all over the course of 90 minutes

But I do see your point
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 10:37 PM   #420
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Botching a single save, vs. not creating scoring chances at all over the course of 270 minutes
I ftfy, as he conveniently wants to try and manipulate the context of my post, to not include how I explicitly stated 'until the group stages are over', hence giving Messi 3 games/270 minutes to showcase his potential.

So yes, my point still stands, and he has absoultely no point. Comparing 270 minutes of goal scoring capability to ONE botched save, is quite frankly, silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakWithMichael View Post

I brought the senselessness of this post out into the light, above. Furthermore, you're comparing a top tier keeper, to a player who some are trying to say is the 'greatest of all time' and NEEDS this WC to solidify that. De Gea doesn't. Of course MEssi has way more pressure and needs to perform.