The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 June 2018, 06:31 AM   #1
Kneecough
"TRF" Member

Dyson Vacuum

I am moving to a condo which has hardwood flooring in the living areas and carpet in the bedrooms. After a little online research and help from sales-person, I ended up purchasing the Dyson V8 Absolute (cordless stick vacuum) for close to half-off it’s original retail price. He pitched me on having separate attachments for the wood and carpet, as well as the convenience of it being cordless.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Is it worth keeping? Are there other options I should consider?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Kneecough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 06:44 AM   #2
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
I bought one when my Miele vacuum died.

It’s truly superb!

I have both hard floors and carpet and the standard head works perfectly on both.

All the attachments are crap and don’t need to be used. The battery life isn’t great (I can’t do the whole house on one charge) plus its attachments are awful for doing the car but is so convenient, easy and handy to use IMO the Dyson ‘stick’ is fantastic!

So much so that I’m going to buy another corded Dyson and steer clear of Miele.

Sent from my iPhone
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 06:45 AM   #3
pjaffe
"TRF" Member

We have a V6 Animal and I think it's great. Lightweight, great suction power (yours should be even better with the V8). Some people online complain about the length of time it can operate off a charge, but mine has never run out mid clean and in a condo you should be fine.

Edit: Just saw Omega's post after I replied. Like I said, the run time isn't enough for everyone!
pjaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 07:17 AM   #4
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Similar house set up with hardwood and carpet. Wife only uses the V8 anymore. We have a large plug in Dyson animal too, but she never uses it after we got the cordless. I have looked at the new V10 and when the 8 dies will get one. Dyson says they will no longer develop corded machines. Works great, is convenient for quickies and work really good on dog hair. She still uses the steam on the hardwood at least once a week. Not that the dyson is not effective but does not get paw prints...She can do our 2000 sf house on one charge.

I actually use a couple of the attachments for the car and find them useful.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 09:19 AM   #5
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

We have an older Dyson stick that I just never have fell in love with. The attachments are crap and have long since been thrown away.

While it will do 200 sq feet of hardwoods and rugs, the dang trigger is mighty finicky and seems to surge on and off at times. Just too dang busy to send it in for service.

After hearing about Dyson suing reviewers who have left negative online reviews of their products, I will never buy another.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 09:22 AM   #6
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Awesome. Wish battery lasted a bit more but works fantastic.
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 09:23 AM   #7
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I have the new V10, gave away my V8 to my cousin and have had the cordless sticks since they were introduced. They are absolutely amazing. I am OCD about my place, the V10 has about 40 minutes of run time which is enough and it does a great job. The extra attachments he was talking about is for the wood floor, I used it all the time and it does an excellent job. Can't recommend these enough.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 09:25 AM   #8
Kneecough
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. The feedback has been positive and helpfull. It seems most of the negative reviews revolve around battery length. While I don’t foresee myself vacuuming the whole place in one go often, it should suffice for the size of the place.
Kneecough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 09:25 AM   #9
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Consumer Reports review
https://www.consumerreports.org/stic...-stick-vacuum/
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 12:13 PM   #10
bellesdad0417
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 SD43
We have the v8 and my wife loves it. But be careful you don't have it in turbo mode as it eats batteries.
bellesdad0417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 12:21 PM   #11
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

"The Cyclone V10 would score a Fair rating, or a 2 out of 5, if it were compared with the rest of the corded uprights in our tests. So yes, technically it’s as powerful as a less powerful corded upright. But it can’t compete with a full-sized upright."

Had an Animal and was pretty good when new, but became lackluster after 6 months. Trash in a year or so. Went with Hoover, higher suction, faaar better attachments. Jmho
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 03:52 PM   #12
Burlington
"TRF" Member

I know Dyson are very popular, the corded stand ups are very powerful but I was very dissatisfied with the cordless handheld performance when picking up any larger or heavier bits of debris.

I much prefer our little Bosch cordless - battery lasts for 30 mins too on max.

Sent using Tapatalk

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 04:09 PM   #13
cvera
"TRF" Member

I think the stick Dyson works well with the standard head on both. I preferred the corded at first, but the performance went down after time.
cvera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 09:23 PM   #14
rph08
"TRF" Member

I don't have any idea what kind of vacuum cleaner we have at home. I just know that I hate it, and I know what I'll buy when it finally dies or I throw it off the back porch.

I just turned 35, and my Mother has been using the same Kirby vacuum cleaner since before I was born. It's a beast, and she uses that thing every day!

Canyonero! Canyonero!
rph08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 09:35 PM   #15
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

I have a V10 stick and love it for the simple fact that we pull it off of the dock and do what we need to rather than fiddling around with a cord when going room to room. I hope it continues to perform over the long term and doesn’t suffer from any degradation in performance.
ckaynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 09:35 PM   #16
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I like our Meile, and I use it corded.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 09:49 PM   #17
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
I currently have the dyson animal 2 vacuum and it does a ridiculously good job picking up pet dander and dirt. My understanding is that the animal versions have a stronger suction than the standard dysons. Do the new cordless vacuums have as much suction power though?
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 10:02 PM   #18
Rolex Essex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ & Sub
We have the v8 absolute and it’s a godsend. Very lightweight and picks up all the crumbs and dirt off the rug. The head for hard floors is very good too. We rarely use the turbo boost button so the battery lasts ages.
We use the Henry vacuum to do the whole house clean up.
Rolex Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 01:50 AM   #19
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

We have a Simplicity corded vacuum. First one lasted 15 years. We just bought a new one. Made in USA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 07:18 AM   #20
Bluepilot15
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710A
I have an average sized colonial. The V8 is amazing downstairs on all of the hardwood. It’s also amazing on the stairs and in the kids basement playroom. Our upstairs is all carpet and we got a Dyson corded upright for that. We are very satisfied with both. I think it’s just a matter of using the right tool for the job. You can also do some legit car vacuuming with the V8 if you have the right attachments. It sounds like Dyson is dropping the corded lines so they’ll be tons of close outs as they’re faded out. There will also be a stainless professional cordless with a 5 year waiting list.
Bluepilot15 is offline   Reply With Quote