The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 29 December 2023, 10:21 AM   #1
AAMD11
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Worldtimer
Picking your brain

Have a career promotion coming to fruition in May. Going to spoil myself. For a few years I have been considering the Cartier Santos large blue dial. I didn’t pull the trigger on it as I went with something else I wanted (Omega Worldtimer) back in 2021. I love everything about the Santos. Dressy yet sporty. I like something that easily slides under the cuff. However recently Longines released this new Master collection (at least this dial) version. Reason I love this piece is due to the fact that it has a lot of horological features in one watch, especially the moon phase. Granted the Longines is half the MSRP, friendlier to the wallet. I find it hits hard on the features for a fraction of say a Patek (not comparing them by any means). I do understand these are 2 different types of watches. I am just trying to pick your brain with your thoughts on these two. Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 112cd5e2-dd1e-41d5-bb47-feda1e6a63ea.jpeg (157.7 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_7154.jpeg (54.2 KB, 190 views)
Old 29 December 2023, 10:37 AM   #2
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
The watch that makes you happiest wins. With Cartier you get a classic with a timeless design and the brand heritage.

However, if you enjoy those complications I can't think of a better way to experience them until you get one from the big 3.

Hopefully you're able to go try them on at an AD, take some wrist shots and enjoy the journey to this win-win. I always say that because it's a good problem to have! Congratulations, by the way with the continued success in your career. :cheers,:
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2023, 11:09 AM   #3
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Congrats on your future promotion. Between the two its Cartier for me. Love the quick release bracelet that you can change up the look on demand. To me its more versatile because of that.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2023, 11:17 AM   #4
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I think the Cartier is a better all-around value despite its higher price.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2023, 11:52 AM   #5
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Congratulations on the promotion. Straight up, get the watch you prefer, both are great. No question, there is a lot going on with that Longines, it is very nice. Having said that, my pick would be the Cartier (my personal preference is white). Good luck on your choice.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2023, 12:10 PM   #6
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
I would choose the santos (in medium without date)

Be sure to try on the Cartier for size, they have a unique fit.

Not a fan of complication for the sake of complication … less is more.
Old 29 December 2023, 12:17 PM   #7
AAMD11
"TRF" Member

I have tried the Cartier several times. Living in NYC there’s no shortage of ADs. Longines I’ve yet to see in person (at least this dial). I have tried them on respectively.
Old 29 December 2023, 01:41 PM   #8
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Voutilainen (2030)
Congrats on the promotion.

I prefer the Cartier but that’s me. Go with the one that puts the biggest smile on your face when it’s on your wrist and you have your answer.
FrugalGreubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2023, 01:41 PM   #9
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Voutilainen (2030)
Sorry double posted a response. Ignore this :(

Last edited by FrugalGreubel; 29 December 2023 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: Accidental double post.
FrugalGreubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2023, 02:47 PM   #10
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Santos easily for me. Hypothetically, 20 years from now I could look at it and fondly recall the promotion and wear it, whereas the Longines I’d look at it but never wear it.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2023, 03:01 PM   #11
7sins
"TRF" Member

Green Santos for me, easy choice. Liked it so much that I have another vintage one coming in next week.

Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2023, 05:06 PM   #12
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Out of those two I'd choose the Santos, it's such a great all-arounder.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2023, 05:28 PM   #13
Michael1968
Banned

Watch: UN,RolexTudor&more
Santos
Michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2023, 06:26 PM   #14
dmagicmojoe
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats on the promotion. Based on your OP, it sounds like you want the Cartier but are justifying the Longines because it's more practical/hits a lot of buttons. Go with your gut and the Cartier.
dmagicmojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2023, 10:16 PM   #15
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
The Cartier hands down for me. I am a Longines fan but he prices have eased up in the last few years and I see less value long term than the Cartier. Price is also a consideration but most times you get what you pay for. The Longines is nice, the Cartier is beautiful and special.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2023, 10:38 PM   #16
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Santos. The dial on the longines is too busy, the Romans push it over the top.
HHIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2023, 12:24 AM   #17
ts3
"TRF" Member

Most Cartier designs are not for me and I have always seen the Santos as an ugly watch. That hasn't changed with its increasing popularity. The Longines here isn't for me either though.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2023, 01:25 AM   #18
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
For me, and I might be biased owning a blue dial Santos for over 4 years, but the choice is clear, the Santos. You have been wanting it for a few years, and if you don't do it, it will probably still be a piece you want. It's incredibly versatile it works well with suits and it's great with casual clothes like jeans. It's so easy and convenient to switch between the metal bracelet and other straps just to change the look and feel of it. I've also added the rubber straps from the ADLC models, and they are fantastic in the summer. In addition, I think it's a great value it has an inhouse movement, it's more antimagnetic than a Rolex Milgauss, is water resistant to 100m, and its truly an iconic design, with roots dating back over 100 years to the grandfather of purpose built aviation watches (it was designed so Alberto Santos-Dumont could operate hot air balloons without having to reach down to check the time on a pocket watch).

If I were getting a Longines, the pieces I find most appealing are a few of their time only pieces or their diving watches. IMHO, the one you are looking doesn't really look special or uniquely Longines. The model you are considering looks like it could come from any company such as Montblanc, Fredric Constant, or countless other brands. I find it far too busy, and not sure how old you are, but when you hit 50, those tiny subdials are almost unreadable. Yes, the one you are considering is a lot of complications, but a lot of complications at its price range, means compromises somewhere. I used to find lots of complications interesting and something to strive for. Now I prefer cleaner designs with less clutter. Don't get me wrong, if someone gave me a Patek perpetual calendar I wouldn't kick it to the curb, but that's a completely different watch, just due to the level of hand workmanship and everything being done inhouse.

Anyway, you've heard our opinions, but the most important thing for you to do is to try them on and see which one truly makes you smile, and go with that one.

Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2023, 01:29 AM   #19
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Don't compromise. You will always be looking back at the decision not to get the Cartier.
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2023, 01:56 AM   #20
Boston1
"TRF" Member

Watch: VC 4600E/000R-B441
Santos. Iconic design and history. Versatile. You will buy the Longines and you will always have a “what if” in your mind. I have owned a Santos 100 for more than 10 years and have been pleasantly surprised by its reliability and accuracy (thanks to the ETA calibre).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30 December 2023, 02:23 AM   #21
AAMD11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
For me, and I might be biased owning a blue dial Santos for over 4 years, but the choice is clear, the Santos. You have been wanting it for a few years, and if you don't do it, it will probably still be a piece you want. It's incredibly versatile it works well with suits and it's great with casual clothes like jeans. It's so easy and convenient to switch between the metal bracelet and other straps just to change the look and feel of it. I've also added the rubber straps from the ADLC models, and they are fantastic in the summer. In addition, I think it's a great value it has an inhouse movement, it's more antimagnetic than a Rolex Milgauss, is water resistant to 100m, and its truly an iconic design, with roots dating back over 100 years to the grandfather of purpose built aviation watches (it was designed so Alberto Santos-Dumont could operate hot air balloons without having to reach down to check the time on a pocket watch).

If I were getting a Longines, the pieces I find most appealing are a few of their time only pieces or their diving watches. IMHO, the one you are looking doesn't really look special or uniquely Longines. The model you are considering looks like it could come from any company such as Montblanc, Fredric Constant, or countless other brands. I find it far too busy, and not sure how old you are, but when you hit 50, those tiny subdials are almost unreadable. Yes, the one you are considering is a lot of complications, but a lot of complications at its price range, means compromises somewhere. I used to find lots of complications interesting and something to strive for. Now I prefer cleaner designs with less clutter. Don't get me wrong, if someone gave me a Patek perpetual calendar I wouldn't kick it to the curb, but that's a completely different watch, just due to the level of hand workmanship and everything being done inhouse.

Anyway, you've heard our opinions, but the most important thing for you to do is to try them on and see which one truly makes you smile, and go with that one.

I remember yours specifically. I’m gonna aim for
The santos and get that same rubber from the ADLC. I love that combination. Cheers. Thank you guys
Old 30 December 2023, 03:51 AM   #22
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAMD11 View Post
I remember yours specifically. I’m gonna aim for
The santos and get that same rubber from the ADLC. I love that combination. Cheers. Thank you guys
You're welcome! Remember to post some pix when you get it. Cheers!

One last quick photo of it on the black rubber strap, which I like a lot too.

Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote