The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 12 August 2011, 02:30 PM   #31
Vernal
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I hope I'm not beating a dead horse here, but I think that erroneous conclusions may be being drawn about me based on my question. I will readily admit to being a bit odd, but I don't feel I am unreasonable.

My 14060 was bought through an AD because 1) they had one, along with a selection of others that I was able to try on so I could make a decision amongst many lovely timepieces when I decided I wanted a new watch and happened to walk into an AD; and 2) they provided me with an excellent educational presentation that brought me relatively up-to-speed in far less time than it would have taken to read through a million forum pages (if I had even known this place existed at the time.) And I simply fell in love with it the moment I saw it, so there's that too.

I don't necessarily agree that an AD is what I must use, though; I don't even know I can find what I'm looking for there anyway. I've visited three in the past month, with no Turn-O-Graph of the model I want. I'm looking for a 16613 also, and they only had the ceramic ones. This is what led me to consider learning how to buy over the internet.

What I DO value are the stories that make them MINE. I understand (thanks to this forum) that the PCLs on the bracelet can scratch easily. That does not bother me, but my oddity is that I want to be the one who puts the scratches on it, thus the RSC refurb consideration. If the price was right, I would of course simply buy the watch and have it repaired on my own.

My question was basically, how is purchasing done via the forum, and I made a guess based on my experience drawn from other areas. Frankly, I don't even know what PayPal is or how it works, and I would rather spend my limited browsing time learning about watches. My new fascination with Rolex is that they seem to be perfect from the factory, while most items are designed to appeal to the widest possible audience. I modify if it gets me what I want, but Rolex is practically the only product I've run across that appeals to me "off-the-rack."

If my money doesn't spend here, so be it - I've found that where there is cash, there is a way. If it takes me longer than I would prefer, at least I have my awesome 14060 to tell me how much time I've wasted! Patience is unfortunately not one of my virtues.

I appreciate the input, as always. I apologize if my writing has not been clear enough to fully describe my questions and concerns.
Vernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2011, 10:35 PM   #32
RolexWatcher
"TRF" Member

Vernal, it's ok. You are just going through the first phase of what I would call "trying to buy a watch from the TRF". Lots of people have experienced this first phase and came out the other side buying from the TRF or not (whatever happened to them). All the best! :)
RolexWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2011, 11:36 PM   #33
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
No worries, can't wait to see what you end up with!

Show us pix when you get it
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2011, 03:36 AM   #34
hsfrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: President
Vernal:
The conditions you posed represent the optimum buying conditions.They ,however, are probably too cumbersum for most sellers. However, you can modify them and still get the best assurance possible.
1. Do your due diligence. Research the forum ( dealer? seller?). Find a seller you are comfortable with.
2. Work with him to find the watch you want at a price that does not deprive him of a fair profit.
3. Sve all your correspondence.
4. Buy the watch. Pay him and make sure that he insures the watch with a third party insurer.
5. Photograph the package and each stage of unwrapping. ( It makes a good post and should the unlikely happen it will be helpful.)
6. Send the watch to Rolex Service Center for an estimate to refinish and maintain.
7. You will then have proof of its authenticity or evidence that it is a fake.
8. If it is one of your fellow TRF members post a thank you in the Good Guys section.

Good Luck and let us know about your experience.

Time and Tide wait for no man

Rolex Cellini 4133
Tudor North Flag

HERS:
Rolex TTDJ
hsfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2011, 10:02 AM   #35
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
Hang around for a little while and learn who the trusted sellers are. I promise you, once you have been around awhile you will have no problem trusting the big boys here. In fact, it is so easy and the trusted sellers are so good here, you may end up buying TOO many watches!
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2011, 10:08 AM   #36
Pep04
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, Pam320
The way I see it is that these trusted sellers on TRF are making enough money that they would complete morons to tarnish their name. Besides the fact that THEY HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO DO SO!

They are selling plenty of watches here every week. Why would they want to scam or rip anyone off????

Buy from the trusted sellers and worry more about what you'll get next!

Good luck.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin
Prick #8
Pep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2011, 12:55 PM   #37
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Vernal,
I bought 2 watches from Tony in the last few months. I checked things out, and all looked good. With out hesitation I wired him my money both times and not one problem. Didn't have to leave the house, it was super sweet. Email him, he'll put your mind at ease. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will put their rep on the line for him
Old 18 August 2011, 01:32 PM   #38
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Take your time, don't do anything before you are ready.

Besides posting a WTB, if you are ready PM a seller of your choice directly and see if they can deliver the goods.

Possibly pick a trusted seller close to where you live and arrange a face to face if possible and desirable.

There are a number of possibilities, take your time and make the move when your are ready.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2011, 08:26 PM   #39
blixorb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster
Question- what about buying from a European seller when you're in the US?

Do you have to do VAT or customs?

thx
blixorb is offline   Reply With Quote