The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 20 May 2012, 09:27 PM   #1
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

Looking for opinions/advice - given a trade offer

I've been thinkning of consolidating the collection for a while - and fell in love with a pre-owned, but immaculate RG Lange 1 moonphase...

local dealer offering at 32k CDN

the trade he proposed -

#1.
my
16613 bluesy
116613LV hulk
116613LN TT black
my GMTc
my DJ 2 - rhodium arabic
my Breitling B01 chronograph - on blue MOP

plus he gives me $2000..

Looks like I'm giving up alot there...

#2 -

I've given a list of my watches that I would consider trading and he
gave the following valuations..

Breguet YG marine big date - $12000
The TT sub-c $8000
TT daytona white face $8000
Hulk - $5000
DJ2 - $5000
GMTc - $5000
B01 $5000
Bluesy $5500
Limited edition LMPO Omega - $3000

some of these seem a bit low to me, others fair...

But I'm looking for some insights, because I'm really really torn..
SUPERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2012, 09:44 PM   #2
TimingIsEverything
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDOC View Post
I've been thinkning of consolidating the collection for a while - and fell in love with a pre-owned, but immaculate RG Lange 1 moonphase...

the trade he proposed -

#1.
my
16613 bluesy
116613LV hulk
116613LN TT black
my GMTc
my DJ 2 - rhodium arabic

plus he gives me $2000..

#2 -

The TT sub-c $8000
Hulk - $5000
DJ2 - $5000
GMTc - $5000
B01 $5000
Bluesy $5500

Those trade values look very low to me. You can sell outright and get much more for all of them, and then go in and by the Lange cash.
TimingIsEverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2012, 09:47 PM   #3
caryyee
"TRF" Member

It really depends on how badly you want the Lange ... are you prepared to take the hit on your current watch collection? Any deal is only a good deal if it is what YOU want and suits you own personal financial situation. Common sense might be to keep what you have, and save for the Lange, others will come along, or sell your watches via some other method to get the price you want, to get the Lange. But you need to do what suits YOU ... :-)
caryyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2012, 09:50 PM   #4
impalass
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD / LV / Daytona
Aside from the trade values being too low, so many fine time pieces for one grail equals guaranteed regret imo.
impalass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2012, 09:51 PM   #5
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
You will always get more if you sell your watches on your own. Of course this will take a bit longer, and it will require more work on your end.

Of course going from many watches with a lot of variety to only one watch may not be as satisfying once the deal is done.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2012, 10:52 PM   #6
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Looks like an awful lot of nice watches you lose in the trade. But on the other hand a few powerful pieces can be more satisfying than a larger collection. Tough choice, the ALS is very nice.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2012, 11:21 PM   #7
mfer
"TRF" Member

You are right, some of his trade vales are ok, some are horrible low. 5k for a IIc comes to mind.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2012, 12:37 AM   #8
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
And $5k for a Hulk--awful. Do yourself a favor and sell your watches one at a time and when you have cash buy your ALS. Also-- hold back one Rolex as you will regret only having one watch--especially a dress watch. Keep the Hulk or GMT. Best of luck in your quest!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2012, 12:47 AM   #9
S``
"TRF" Member

Hulk for 5K? - I'd take it... Like others have said... sell it yourself
S`` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2012, 12:55 AM   #10
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

If you don't want to deal with selling them yourself, if you contact several TRF trusted sellers you'd probably get better trade in or consignment offers. The DJ2 and Breitling might be a little tougher to sell but the rest should go quickly.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2012, 12:56 AM   #11
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
I would like to be a one-watch-man, but it's hard.

I guess I could possibly be a two-watch-man.
Old 21 May 2012, 08:12 AM   #12
Timber Loftis
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,DJII,P244,A1-Z
Those trade values are only low because most of us value our watches based on what we could sell them for here. Dealers offers will ALWAYS be less.

You can always sale a watch for more here on FS forums than you can get in trade.

If you can find the watch you want here, it will always be cheaper.

With a little patience you could sell watches here, and the dealer will probably give you a little discount for buying cash. It's win/win and you'd probably get to keep some of your watches.
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2012, 11:21 AM   #13
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post
Those trade values are only low because most of us value our watches based on what we could sell them for here. Dealers offers will ALWAYS be less.

You can always sale a watch for more here on FS forums than you can get in trade.

If you can find the watch you want here, it will always be cheaper.

With a little patience you could sell watches here, and the dealer will probably give you a little discount for buying cash. It's win/win and you'd probably get to keep some of your watches.
Those numbers are low regardless. Not all trades are terrible and not all AD prices are higher than the classifieds. I was offered $6700 trade in for my SubC a few weeks ago When buying my fiancé's DJand this was an AD i dint do business with. I wasnt getting rid of it so it didn't matter. OP sell on here then you might get to keep a few of the ones you would have to trade. My last from an Aad was cheaper than the classifieds price on the exact watch. Not saying the classifieds arent usually cheaper but not always.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2012, 01:34 PM   #14
mltworldwide
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

the trade he proposed -

#1.
my
16613 bluesy
116613LV hulk
116613LN TT black
my GMTc
my DJ 2 - rhodium arabic

plus he gives me $2000..

#2 -

The TT sub-c $8000
Hulk - $5000
DJ2 - $5000
GMTc - $5000
B01 $5000
Bluesy $5500

The values are low. Especially if that last is a Liquid Metal PO. That is worth over $5K. GMT C is worth $5.6K to $6K depending on condition. TT Daytona is close. See if he'll trade the ALS for the Breguet + TT c-Sub+ TT Daytona, no cash. He's getting a bargain on those 3 watches and only discounting the ALS $4K. He's still making a big profit + more to come on the trades. I would do it if I'm a dealer but this guy may be looking for more.
mltworldwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2012, 01:38 PM   #15
gwozhog
"TRF" Member

I will give you 6k for the hulk anytime.
Old 21 May 2012, 06:37 PM   #16
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
Oh boy!

The Lange 1 Moon in Rosegold is my grail but that's a lot in trade. You could easily flip some of what you own for a BNIB ALS. Heck, you could sell all here on TRF priced to sell and still walk away way on top and keep the ones you love. This is a textbook haste makes waste scenario.
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2012, 06:41 PM   #17
david_ord

Watch: Deep Sea 116660
First off, here's my opinion on what the "wholesale" prices should be:

16613 bluesy: $6000
116613 hulk: $7500 (the hulk is so hot... i wouldn't be surprised if he makes $1000 on this deal within 48 hours)
116613LN TT black: $8000 (retails for abt $12K, he can sell for $10K in 60 days)
116710 GMTc: $6000 (like the hulk, the GMTc does not stay on the shelve very long; thus, at $6000, he'd sell it at $6500 to $7000 quickly and easily make $1k on the deal)
116334 DJ 2: $5500 (he'll sell it in 2 months for at least $7300)
Breitling B01 / blue mop: $5000 (he'll sell it for $6500 or more in 2 months)

So far, I've added $38,000 in wholesale value.

The dealer probably acquired the lange for about $26K. By giving you $2K, he will have spent about $28K on $38K's (wholesale) worth of inventory that he will eventually sell for $48K. This is to say, his profit on the deal, eventually, is $20k.

Again, we're talking about $38K's worth watches in terms of wholesale pricing. At those prices, you yourself would be able to sell these watches on TRF in in 3 weeks. You'd sell the hulk and gmtc during the first week. Your last one sold would be either the Breitling or bluesy... about 3 to 4 weeks from now.

With this dealer, you're buying a used Lange for what seems to be $32K, but in reality, based on not-unrealistic trade/wholesale prices, you're really buying it for $36K. ($38K - $2K = $36K). Moreover, despite that the Lange 1 Moonphase (18K RG / Silver / Leather) retails for $38.6K (or is it $36.6??), you can buy it brand new for about $30K, http://www.luxurybazaar.com/items/it...__Leather.html , http://www.worldofluxuryus.com/watch.../88_89_488.php .

In conclusion, I see this as a raw deal, as it is only his offer price. He's expecting you to counter, and he might settle at giving you $4000 plus the Lange for all those watches. However, I think you can do even better than that with mininal efforts. You could take a month to sell that slew of watches for about $40K altogether, then purchase the exact same Lange, brand new, for about $30K (or less-- remember, you can negotiate the Lange down too, as they are probably slow-moving inventory). You would then end up with $10K left over, rather than 2K. I wouldn't think selling them yourself would be an arduous task; rather, along the way, you'd have some fun and possibly establish a few friendships.
david_ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2012, 03:52 AM   #18
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

I am frequently reminded of why I love this place -

Thanks for all of the input

I think I have just been saved from walking blindly into a thornbush..

the more I think about this, the more I realize you guys are right, especially with David's Breakdown of the economics --

the Rolex really should be considered same as cash -
he stands to profit much more in the trade than he would in a cash deal - not only would he make his ALS profit - he would score huge on the Rolexes as well...

Really, if I gave him $32k worth of Rolex - based on what he could sell for, it is still a great deal for him, because he's made his ALS profit, and the Rolexes will turn into $32k cash much faster than the ALS would...

I would think that the valuations would stand if I were asking for cash...
but not for trade, or 'store credit'..

I still don't know what I'm going to do, but I sure as heck am not going to give and of my watches away..
SUPERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2012, 03:59 AM   #19
psv
"TRF" Member

yepp, those trade values are too low. I wouldn't do it, then again, it is your money and time to try to sell all those watches.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2012, 04:15 AM   #20
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
I'd keep saving for that beautiful Lange!

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2012, 07:40 AM   #21
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
Sell some of your watches to raise the cash and buy what you want.
Don't trade them to your dealer....

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2012, 07:43 AM   #22
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchTimes View Post
Sell some of your watches to raise the cash and buy what you want.
Don't trade them to your dealer....

This.

Sounds like a great time to do some spring cleaning to score the ALS and keep a few sports watches.
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2012, 12:36 PM   #23
david_ord

Watch: Deep Sea 116660
Quote:
I am frequently reminded of why I love this place -

Really, if I gave him $32k worth of Rolex - based on what he could sell for, it is still a great deal for him, because he's made his ALS profit, and the Rolexes will turn into $32k cash much faster than the ALS would...

I would think that the valuations would stand if I were asking for cash...
but not for trade, or 'store credit'..

RJ, good point distinguishing the difference between a cash deal and a trade a/k/a "store credit." I had the feeling I was missing something when I wrote that comment above half asleep at 4am :).

Anyway, a cash deal adds to the dealer inventory by tying up his liquid cash, thus being a burden that has to be justified by a lower price point. A trade allows the dealer to turn over existing inventory for a profit, thereby justifying a higher price. The prices he gave are cashout prices. You could walk into any pawn shop in Brooklyn and literally walk out with a wad of cash of the same value as his offering prices.

If you go back to this dealer, make sure you call his attention to this cashout/trade-in distinction. Let him know that at those prices, there is no incentive for you to deal him, because you could walk into any inner city pawn shop and come back in an hour with a bag of cash containing $32K. He has to provide an incentive for you to deal with him in particular. The incentive, of course, is to strike a deal at a reasonable trade-in value.

That said, if you do decide to go back to the same dealer, I think you should do so with the goal of executing the deal with all the watches listed in #1 in your original posting-- absent the Hulk. That, imo, is a mutually equitable deal. Start by asking for a non-hulk deal with $2000 cashback. He will of course object, in which case offer the same deal, but $2000 in store credit. Work your way down from there, with the next step being $2K store credit applicable only to certain slow-moving items. Stop and stand your ground at a non-hulk deal with no cashback. If you agree to anything worse than that, you might not be able to sleep well due to that nagging feeling of having been burned.
david_ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2012, 03:56 PM   #24
jolimont
"TRF" Member

Watch: sundial
Great info in this thread!
jolimont is offline   Reply With Quote