The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 September 2006, 03:04 AM   #1
frank bullit
Banned

New GMT

Hi Gang,
Does anyone else wonder why the new GMT isn't called the GMTlll? (or GMT3)
It's so different to the GMTll. I'v just seen the comparison photo's posted by AJC, which are brilliant and the new watch looks extremely desirable, except maybe the lazer engraved 'Rolex' on the clasp. I think the old style l looks more, well, Rolex.
I dont know what the hold up on the S/S GMT3 model is, if you look at the TT there's not really much to change.

Regards FB.
frank bullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2006, 04:50 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank bullit View Post
Hi Gang,
Does anyone else wonder why the new GMT isn't called the GMTlll? (or GMT3)
It's so different to the GMTll. I'v just seen the comparison photo's posted by AJC, which are brilliant and the new watch looks extremely desirable, except maybe the lazer engraved 'Rolex' on the clasp. I think the old style l looks more, well, Rolex.
I dont know what the hold up on the S/S GMT3 model is, if you look at the TT there's not really much to change.

Regards FB.
Quite in agreement with you on this one, Frank. GMT-III would have been....well something different....as different as the number of changes they've made in their new model.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2006, 08:46 AM   #3
mike
"TRF" Member

I guess my only line of reasoning would be this.

When Rolex made the change from the 1675 to the 16750 the big change was the move from a 15xx slow bear movement to a fast beat 3xxx movement. Other than a quick-set date feature the watch operated the same as reguards GMT usage.

Now with the introduction of the "jump hour feature" ala the 16710 Rolex changed the operation of the GMT--hence the II.
The new GMT uses the new 3186 movement but still relies on the "jump hour feature" as in the 16710. ----New reference number, but no III.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2006, 02:21 AM   #4
frank bullit
Banned

New GMT

Sorry to bang on about this, but Rolex really have missed a trick here.We Know what's being spoken about when somebody refers to a GMT, the same applies to a GMT-II. Now when somebody says the've got a new GMT-II do they mean THE NEW GMT-II or are they refering to a new GMT-II!

GMT-III. It's got a ring to it.
New case, face, bezel and winding crown. It's a brand new model!!!
It's a marketing cock-up in my humble opinion.

I expect they'll call the new Seadweller, the new seadweller and a new submariner, the new submariner! Not very exciting is it?

Now,.... 'SUBMARINER II' sounds good!.....doesn't it?
Dont ya want one already?

..... 'MKII SEADWELLER' I positively can't go on without one of those!!

Marketing executives, Pah! Whaddatheyknow?

FB.

Last edited by frank bullit; 26 September 2006 at 03:58 AM.. Reason: afterthought
Old 26 September 2006, 02:31 AM   #5
madformac
"TRF" Member

I would agree totally Rolex messed up a great marketing opportunity here. Its a new bracelet, new case, new clasp, new movement. Its not an update its a totally new and different watch.

It should be called a GMT III without a doubt. When they released a GMT II and Explorer II they believed they were changed enough to warrant a new name, I don't see how this new version is any different.

I wouldn't like a Submariner II though. If they want to change the Sub to the new design specs then I would introduce it in a few years once the design is suitably established and just call it Submariner.
madformac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2006, 04:55 AM   #6
frank bullit
Banned

News Flash!

Prepare yourselves chaps.
I've just seen a report on Reuters there is a new Seadweller, along with the new MkII Submariner, the new GMT-III, the new Explorer-III- The Sir Ranulf.
(Fiennes, you peasants!) The new Yacht Master II-The Dennis Connors and The new Sea-Dweller complete with extra large Cyclops (re-calibrated focal length) is to be called.......wait for it!

MKII-SEA-DWELLER
Pleasure Dome

It's all true,....honest!!!

FB.
Old 26 September 2006, 04:59 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank bullit View Post
Prepare yourselves chaps.
I've just seen a report on Reuters there is a new Seadweller, along with the new MkII Submariner, the new GMT-III, the new Explorer-III- The Sir Ranulf.
(Fiennes, you peasants!) The new Yacht Master II-The Dennis Connors and The new Sea-Dweller complete with extra large Cyclops (re-calibrated focal length) is to be called.......wait for it!

MKII-SEA-DWELLER
Pleasure Dome

It's all true,....honest!!!

FB.
What have you been smoking, Frank??

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2006, 07:04 AM   #8
madformac
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
What have you been smoking, Frank??
Something from Frans's neck of the woods no doubt...
madformac is offline   Reply With Quote