The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 May 2011, 02:24 AM   #31
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkWilfred View Post
Great Thread!

I was a division one rugby player in college and bulked up to 215. I was very fit and muscular. After graduating college I lost my muscle mass and got fat. I hovered around 205 for years. I looked and felt horrible for 5'10" This past January I started watching what I eat. I started P90x three weeks ago and have am down 25 lbs since Jan!

Loosing weight is taking control of your life. My self esteem increased incredibly after loosing so much weight. I am no longer emarrassed to take my shirt off and enjoy wearing nicer clothing, form fitting.

My advise: NO alcohol, very little dairy, and track your calories everyday. It also helps to eat lite meals with a lot of fruits and veggies.

GREAT THREAD!!!
All true Kirk.

A do weights a few times a week, walk the dogs a few times a week..watch what I eat.

Nothing fried..
No sugar added...
Water and coffee...no milk, soda or juice.
Red meat maybe twice a month...otherwise chicken and fish
Fruit and salad almost every day
No alcohol
Never smoked anything.
Smaller portions 5 times a day instead of 3 bigger meals....nothing after 8 pm.

Works for me...your mileage may vary.
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 02:32 AM   #32
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
To the OP: Great thread!!

If you guys had seen me around 6 months ago, I was a whopping 200 lbs. on my 6-foot frame and could pump out 60 push-ups at the age of 64. I was as fit as a fiddle and considered the epitome of good health by many.

Then this dreaded cancer came upon me so hard, I didn't know what hit me!!

Now I'm down to a pathetic and skinny 150 lbs, having lost around 50 lbs. of muscle mass and flesh.

Trust me, guys, you don't want to see recent pics of me!!

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 02:33 AM   #33
pemabuk

Watch: Milgauss GV
Was: 5'11 - 185
Now: 5'11 - 165
33yrs old

I've always been pretty athletic through HS and College, ran XC - but for a decade after college was a lot of partying and a lot of sitting behind a desk. About a year and a half ago, I just decided to start running. Not too far, 3 miles minimum, 4 miles maximum - 5 days a week. Rearranged my schedule to make that happen. Before work, or after work, whatever I need to do to never miss a day.

Totally cut out alcohol Sunday-Thursday. Definitely moved away from all the processed food and that sort of thing, and essentially replaced dessert with fruit every night after dinner.

Dropped the 20 pounds in about 6 months, and keeping steady at 165 for the past 10. For me, it was all about getting into a super solid regimen and sticking to it no matter what. I can't encourage anyone enough to get out and run, plus, it's gratis.
pemabuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 02:41 AM   #34
axxeman01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
Don't forget the wheels/legs bro. Don't neglect them.

Nice guns Bruno. BTW, I hate working legs too, but the only reason I do it is because I've heard that it releases more growth hormone than anything.

In terms of weight, the greatest thing you can do for yourself is implement good portion control. At most restaurants, they pile on enough for two meals. At home, switch from dinner to salad plates. You won't notice the difference, and your brain will be happy when the plate is clean.

Last edited by axxeman01; 21 May 2011 at 02:43 AM.. Reason: Adding more junk.
axxeman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 02:56 AM   #35
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Watch: 16610,PAM. 111, G
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
To the OP: Great thread!!

If you guys had seen me around 6 months ago, I was a whopping 200 lbs. on my 6-foot frame and could pump out 60 push-ups at the age of 64. I was as fit as a fiddle and considered the epitome of good health by many.

Then this dreaded cancer came upon me so hard, I didn't know what hit me!!

Now I'm down to a pathetic and skinny 150 lbs, having lost around 50 lbs. of muscle mass and flesh.

Trust me, guys, you don't want to see recent pics of me!!

JJ
We still love you though. JJ had them guns people. Legit.
Brunotheboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 02:58 AM   #36
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
We still love you though. JJ had them guns people. Legit.
Love ya too, Bruno. My best to you and your lovely wife.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 03:00 AM   #37
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxeman01 View Post
Nice guns Bruno. BTW, I hate working legs too, but the only reason I do it is because I've heard that it releases more growth hormone than anything.

In terms of weight, the greatest thing you can do for yourself is implement good portion control. At most restaurants, they pile on enough for two meals. At home, switch from dinner to salad plates. You won't notice the difference, and your brain will be happy when the plate is clean.
Thanks bro.
I just hate the way it looks when someone has a jacked upper body and skinny little legs. Makes me I'll.
It's true what you say about cleaning the plate and the portions in restaurants. It's why I never eat out. Who knows what they're putting in the food or when the cook last scratched his balls.
Old 21 May 2011, 04:50 AM   #38
gazp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Ceramic Sub
run 4 miles every morning NEVER missed for 5 years , i must be barmy ha ha but it sets me up for the day , then do 100 press ups and 100 sit ups afterwards , aged 47 and weigh 147 pounds , about the same size as a DSSD
gazp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 05:03 AM   #39
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Seems like you're the exception not the norm.

Everybody else is saying that having them kiddies is getting them all fat, tired, and dragging their asses. Not gonna work for me. I'm never having them. My wife wants them even less than me. I'll stick to my simple, stress free life but I'm sure your kids are great.
I agree that the kid-free life makes it easier to maintain a healthier lifestyle. This might sound extreme to some people, but we put off having kids for years because, partly, I knew we wouldn't be able to bicycle like we used to, and go on organized rides or hop on the bikes whenever we felt like it.

After the first baby, I got a trailer and mountain bike and rode for a while with a toddler in the trailer and a baby in utero, until my doc found out about it.

I do like my kids, though I still sometimes wonder whose idea of a joke it was that I ended up with three of them. At times I really do miss my simpler life and not having to give so much. People used to say to me, "That's so selfish not to want kids!" And I'd say, "You're right."
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 05:23 AM   #40
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, AK, LVc
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazp View Post
run 4 miles every morning NEVER missed for 5 years , i must be barmy ha ha but it sets me up for the day , then do 100 press ups and 100 sit ups afterwards , aged 47 and weigh 147 pounds , about the same size as a DSSD
Wow. That's crazy dedication, Gary. I'm 45 and 143 pounds (was 174). For some people I'm too skinny. But I feel right being on the trimmer side.

I'm digging the comments here (and love the pics). Diet-wise - the best thing that worked for me was cutting out ALL alcohol and most carbs. I also started taking smaller portions. That and working out did the trick.

I also downloaded a fitness app called iFitness and used it to track my decrease in weight. Other folks have had great success using apps such as Myfitnesspal to keep track of total calorie consumption. I like that idea as it's not about denying junk food. It's about managing total caloric intake.
threemonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 05:23 AM   #41
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
I agree that the kid-free life makes it easier to maintain a healthier lifestyle. This might sound extreme to some people, but we put off having kids for years because, partly, I knew we wouldn't be able to bicycle like we used to, and go on organized rides or hop on the bikes whenever we felt like it.

After the first baby, I got a trailer and mountain bike and rode for a while with a toddler in the trailer and a baby in utero, until my doc found out about it.

I do like my kids, though I still sometimes wonder whose idea of a joke it was that I ended up with three of them. At times I really do miss my simpler life and not having to give so much. People used to say to me, "That's so selfish not to want kids!" And I'd say, "You're right."
People tell me I'm selfish too and you know what I tell 'em.

Well, I cant really say what I tell 'em but its along the same lines as "You're right."
Old 21 May 2011, 05:27 AM   #42
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A challenger appears.

18 inches stone cold no lie. I haven't been to the gym yet. I'm gonna be starting my cut in the next couple of weeks. I need to get lean like you and I'm pale as phuck from this crappy weather. Might have to start tanning.

And big guns there, Bruno. You, too, Lisa. Very nice.
Old 21 May 2011, 05:40 AM   #43
colpol
"TRF" Member

Lot of impressive posts here

I've been a keen cyclist for last 15 years & no matter what I eat - thats seems to keep the weight off & keep me fit. Few other simple things like using the stairs at work, long walk at lunch time instead of just sitting at my desk, etc - all add's up.

I had weights in the house which I used for about 3 years until last Feb when I did something to my right arm - first I thought it was tennis elbow but its never made a full recovery. Kind of a cartlidge\ crunching noise if I try weights now. Not painful but doesn't sound good so I don't do them anymore. If anyone got any ideas\ had themselves on that - let me know with a pm
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 05:41 AM   #44
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:

We started early. We are now 50 and the baby just finished her freshman year at college. She is out of town at a large university and on her own, except for money. So we come and go as we please. My wife gets up at 5am three days per week and works out at the Orlando Magic training facility of all places, she is slim and glamorous as are her friends who all have children, they have always been active doing charity work and all kinds of things. Never heard that kids make a person out of shape. I could not imagine a life without them even though it has it's moments. All the school and sports events. The pride in watching them play sports and graduation, church sacraments, the broken hearts, tears and joy. It's what makes life, life. I once heard a guy saying how stressful it was bringing his dog back from Asia, he thought that it was probably as stressful as having a child. He just has no idea the difference.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 05:59 AM   #45
Explorer 2011
"TRF" Member

Watch: Searching
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Badger View Post
I'm 6'3" but got down to 145lbs a few years back when I was a jockey...

I certainly wasn't 'healthier' then than I am now (about 195lbs).

My weight loss was very extreme and for a specific reason but I genuinely found the was no secret or magic formula other than one...

Eat less, move more!!!

I don't mean that as a fesicious answer, merely the truth. There's no easy way...
OMG you're tall for a jockey.

I actually run a health club and we do hear your phrase a lot. EAT LESS MOVE MORE is reasonably good advice! Or perhaps Eat Healthy Move more is better?
Explorer 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 06:44 AM   #46
BH13GMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: and learn
Great Thread Guys

Jason's thread really impressed me with his results and the parallels with my routine. I am in the process of sourcing a treadmill for home use. This will allow me to exercise when my son is asleep. I currently have more chins than a hong kong phone book and look forward to seeing them go.

Keep posting the updates guys.

Rolex Sub 1680, Rolex GMT 116710LN, Rolex Datejust 16220 Salmon Dial (the Mrs), Tudor BB58, Tudor Pelagos Blue and Several Seiko's
"last one in the chopper is a rotten egg" Jonathan Quayle Higgins III
BH13GMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 06:51 AM   #47
gazp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threemonkeys View Post
Wow. That's crazy dedication, Gary. I'm 45 and 143 pounds (was 174). For some people I'm too skinny. But I feel right being on the trimmer side.

I'm digging the comments here (and love the pics). Diet-wise - the best thing that worked for me was cutting out ALL alcohol and most carbs. I also started taking smaller portions. That and working out did the trick.

I also downloaded a fitness app called iFitness and used it to track my decrease in weight. Other folks have had great success using apps such as Myfitnesspal to keep track of total calorie consumption. I like that idea as it's not about denying junk food. It's about managing total caloric intake.
Hi Craig i think it has more to do with OCD

I too get called too skinny but , like yourself feel right being on the trimmer side.

Hey you sound like a fit guy too , keep up the good work Craig
Old 21 May 2011, 06:59 AM   #48
Grumpy Badger
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M Sub (cosc)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer 2011 View Post
OMG you're tall for a jockey.

I actually run a health club and we do hear your phrase a lot. EAT LESS MOVE MORE is reasonably good advice! Or perhaps Eat Healthy Move more is better?
At least I rode over jumps so the weights were a bit higher than on the flat but it still wasn't much fun being that light... Apparently I used to order whole meals in my sleep when I was wasting!?!
With my height and build I looked like I'd just escaped from Belsen when I was at my lowest weight.
I do agree that for sustainable weight loss Eat Healthy Move More is a better adage. Mine was an extreme case and I just couldn't eat... Even 'healthy' stuff had too many calories for what I had to do!

"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill KG, OM, CH, TD, PC, DL, FRS.
Grumpy Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 08:39 AM   #49
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
Funny that y'all brought up kids in this conversation.

At 45, my life was changed by the birth of my only child. It affected me in many positive ways, including no longer living an "all about me", self-indulgent lifestyle.

I didn't want my child to pick up my (bad) habits around eating and drinking, so I quit drinking alcohol and started eating healthier.

I lost weight so quickly that I had to buy new clothes. As I have my clothes made due to short arms/legs, I figured I had better go on a real diet before it got extremely expensive. So I set a target size, lost the weight and then returned to my "new normal" eating, balancing fuel input with fuel burned (aka healthy eating). Lean protein, healthy carbs, healthy fats, low sugars - with a single "cheat" meal once a week.

Bottom line: I lost 60lbs in 3 months!!! I have easily maintained for a little over a year now and dont' see any reason that it will change.

Before: 5'9", hovering around 250lbs
After: 5'9", maintaining less than 190lbs

BTW - I still had to buy everything new: even shoes!! (went from wides to normal), so it was still very expensive. But now instead of wasting money on self-indulgent amounts of bad eats/drinks and wearing that () , I've spent the money on clothes and wear those instead. My tailor is a happy man.

I feel good, feel good about the accomplishment and best of all feel GREAT for the good habits my child is learning.
Old 21 May 2011, 09:06 AM   #50
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
I have gone on a high protein ............ NO carb diet.

Lost 15 pounds in the last two weeks!

I want PIZZA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone please bite a bite and describe how it tastes!!!!!!!

Ooooooph!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 09:14 AM   #51
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
I have gone on a high protein ............ NO carb diet.

Lost 15 pounds in the last two weeks!

I want PIZZA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone please bite a bite and describe how it tastes!!!!!!!

Ooooooph!
I had a 380 calorie Lean Cuisine pepperoni pizza for dinner. It was pretty good.
Old 21 May 2011, 11:39 AM   #52
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarkMaster View Post
Funny that y'all brought up kids in this conversation.

At 45, my life was changed by the birth of my only child. It affected me in many positive ways, including no longer living an "all about me", self-indulgent lifestyle.

I didn't want my child to pick up my (bad) habits around eating and drinking, so I quit drinking alcohol and started eating healthier.

I lost weight so quickly that I had to buy new clothes. As I have my clothes made due to short arms/legs, I figured I had better go on a real diet before it got extremely expensive. So I set a target size, lost the weight and then returned to my "new normal" eating, balancing fuel input with fuel burned (aka healthy eating). Lean protein, healthy carbs, healthy fats, low sugars - with a single "cheat" meal once a week.

Bottom line: I lost 60lbs in 3 months!!! I have easily maintained for a little over a year now and dont' see any reason that it will change.

Before: 5'9", hovering around 250lbs
After: 5'9", maintaining less than 190lbs

BTW - I still had to buy everything new: even shoes!! (went from wides to normal), so it was still very expensive. But now instead of wasting money on self-indulgent amounts of bad eats/drinks and wearing that () , I've spent the money on clothes and wear those instead. My tailor is a happy man.

I feel good, feel good about the accomplishment and best of all feel GREAT for the good habits my child is learning.
Losing sixty pounds is amazing. And buying the new clothes is the fun part. I love hanging on to a pair of my 'big' pants so I can remember when I was unhealthy.
Old 21 May 2011, 11:48 AM   #53
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
I work out 3-5 days a week. I lift 3-4 days a week and I work out one body area each day. I ride a stationary bike or stairstepper for 30 mins and then I lift for 30 mins. I basically just want to maintain at this point and I try to keep it short. Too many people try to go too far in their workout schedule and get burned out. I see it all the time where people are gung-ho for a workout regime in the initial stages and then they overdo it and quit.

I personally feel you should leave your work-out wanting to do more every day because otherwise if you push yourself too hard you will begin to dread your workout and will not be able maintain that intensity. I have been working out for over 25 years and although it can be a struggle at times I'm able to keep my motivation over the long haul.

I try to eat well during the week and then let it go on the weekend and I eat whatever I want. I think the key to a workout schedule is moderation and knowing what you personally can realistically maintain over your lifetime.
Old 21 May 2011, 01:21 PM   #54
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

WYWW
What is Your Weekend Workout?

Tomorrow is Saturday. What is your weekend workout? I'm going to do an hour and half on my stairstepper tomorrow pumping 6 pound weights the whole time. I'll take a break every 5 minutes or so to crank out some pushups (maybe pullups if it's not raining). With my fav YouTube music videos cranked-up.

Yeah, baby!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg workout.JPG (109.0 KB, 377 views)
Old 21 May 2011, 03:14 PM   #55
gazp
"TRF" Member

Ill be going for my 4 mile run shortly followed by 100 press ups and 100 sit ups and then a nice shower then off to sell some BMWs (hopefully)
Old 21 May 2011, 03:50 PM   #56
skyedog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
Quote:
No big secrets to reveal, other than running after 3 kids (including a 30 pounder who loves to be carried everywhere), walking them to school, hauling loads of laundry up and down the basement steps, endless picking up of toys and clothes, and doing heavy gardening projects (like digging up roots and stumps). Done right, being a stay at home mom will definitely burn calories.

Here's a pic. Taken last year; I was 46.

Shit! you look REAL GOOD Lady!
skyedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 04:07 PM   #57
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
bruno bust out the picture of your quads for this thread!
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 05:58 PM   #58
KirkWilfred
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Some alcohol wont hurt especially clear alcohols/vodka. Skim milk should not be avoided unless you have that lactose thing. Be careful with too much fruit as it has lots of sugars which you want to avoid. Dont eliminate all carbs. You need them as well as some fats also. I like to eat three squares everyday at least with three protein shakes daily. Track your calories but dont be obsessed with them just watch What you are eating. Lots of lean protein and very little simple carbs. Losts of fluids too but no soda at all and watch the sugar in the juice drinks.

What do you recommend for proteins? Please describe a typical meal plan for a couple of days. THanks is advance for all your help!

“Time is an illusion.” – Albert Einstein
KirkWilfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 07:09 PM   #59
bwhitesox
"TRF" Member

Anyone try any of the pre workout supplements..do they work at all to fire you up for the gym?
bwhitesox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 07:10 PM   #60
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Bronze Medal SA Novice Nationals Men over 40
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 040.JPG (283.3 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg 028.JPG (221.6 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpg 046.JPG (278.0 KB, 363 views)
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote