The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 May 2019, 04:49 AM   #31
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Very classy Steve. Top notch...same as TRF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 5 May 2019, 05:00 AM   #32
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_1 View Post
Nice move Steve.

Before everyone gets on a bash wagon, there were more than one of the attendees that left a hefty amount at one table, $1,700! And one of our attendees PAID IT!

I had a great time at the event, as always, and look forward to the next one!
It’s funny that 17 at our table put in $100 or more and the money dried up once the bill was covered, which means a few were there AND ate and skipped on the bill. Oh well. It’s always going to happen just like when we got stuck with a big bar bill two years ago. I still haven’t figured out how we got stuck counting the money.
Old 5 May 2019, 05:14 AM   #33
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
It’s funny that 17 at our table put in $100 or more and the money dried up once the bill was covered, which means a few were there AND ate and skipped on the bill. Oh well. It’s always going to happen just like when we got stuck with a big bar bill two years ago. I still haven’t figured out how we got stuck counting the money.

That was a messy situation, the dinner lasted very long. According to my knowledge (I was there), many people left towards AP-store without paying—thinking that the dinner was covered by paying it beforehand (150$ ticket) as Gerardo made us all believe.
Someone here on his forum wanted to pay afterwards, but didn’t know where to pay afterwards.
IMO no reason to accuse those people. Also some people paid privately in Las Vegas (after the dinner/next day) to Gerardo or to the restaurant directly. There is also a reasonable doubt that alltogether people paid too much...
The organizer is responsible (or should be) for all this mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5 May 2019, 05:22 AM   #34
Exploradori
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270, 1803
Steve, total class act.

Just saw what a mess was this year wiscon (again). I would also like that the organizer has enough character to do the right thing on his own.

To be honest I'm and tired of the virtual family shit and the needy-want-to-be liked-every-piece-of-food-I-eat-I-stuff-it-in-your-face posts.

I wish TRF puts some discipline on this and we remove him for good.
Old 5 May 2019, 05:25 AM   #35
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploradori View Post
Steve, total class act.

Just saw what a mess was this year wiscon (again). I would also like that the organizer has enough character to do the right thing on his own.

To be honest I'm and tired of the virtual family shit and the needy-want-to-be liked-every-piece-of-food-I-eat-I-stuff-it-in-your-face posts.

Old 5 May 2019, 05:26 AM   #36
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Integrity to me is doing the 'Right' thing when nobody is watching you...

Every once in a while someone will come in our lives and wrong us however there will be many Stand Ups to support... Just the acknowledgement of the issue here is a major Stand Up move...

Good on you Steve!!! Class Act!!! Happy to be a part of a community of classy guys... Super TRF !!!

:Cheers:

Sent from my Z2121 using Tapatalk
Old 5 May 2019, 05:30 AM   #37
Art 1
Banned

What I'm wondering if the organizer should pay certain people back. If he knew 50 were covered by AP why did he take money from the 50 people? Why did he take money from the other 40 knowing that they weren't covered? Still just shocked that it was obvious to me and some others what was going on here several years ago was still going on and that so many people that I would consider smart and sophisticated couldn't see it. I'm hearing to0 that he was to point out to certain AD's who the "rich" people are so that they could target them for PM sales. How does one even know who these people would even be.
Old 5 May 2019, 05:58 AM   #38
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploradori View Post
Steve, total class act.

That's up to Steve and the moderation team. I don't know if this a scam or just bad organization. But AP is paying something, 100 members are paying $150, and then the members still cover the dinner tab in full. what does the $150 cover? why does it cost money to go to sponsored events by watch brands? I have been to events sponsored by brands, and they were totally free.
Old 5 May 2019, 06:03 AM   #39
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
What I'm wondering if the organizer should pay certain people back. If he knew 50 were covered by AP why did he take money from the 50 people? Why did he take money from the other 40 knowing that they weren't covered? Still just shocked that it was obvious to me and some others what was going on here several years ago was still going on and that so many people that I would consider smart and sophisticated couldn't see it. I'm hearing to0 that he was to point out to certain AD's who the "rich" people are so that they could target them for PM sales. How does one even know who these people would even be.

What we can learn from all this:
When something happens for the first time, people should speak up rightaway.
Strange that many are saying now that this has been going on earlier years aswell. For me, as a first-timer, I didn’t know what happened earlier years. So glad that these same mistakes won’t be repeated next year for the sixth time in a row...
Very happy for having people like Steve here acting the way he did.

Old 5 May 2019, 06:11 AM   #40
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
That's up to Steve and the moderation team. I don't know if this a scam or just bad organization. But AP is paying something, 100 members are paying $150, and then the members still cover the dinner tab in full. what does the $150 cover? why does it cost money to go to sponsored events by watch brands? I have been to events sponsored by brands, and they were totally free.
Part of the answer is the organizer is setting up the sponsored event.

Unfortunately there is some lack of clarity or agreement regarding the NRD and the expectations at the big dinner.

Overall a lot of work goes into the event and the organizer deserves to be compensated, that said the participants must have transparency.

Personally, the best outcome imho would be that those impacted are made whole and the issue of the NRD and dinner arrangements be sorted if there is a future for these events. These details should be crystal clear.
finally the compensation required by the organizer should be defined and agreed upon, up front by attendees.

I hope all come out of this ok.
Old 5 May 2019, 06:17 AM   #41
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

I myself like others was clueless as I did not attend but always enjoyed reading about it and seeing all the pictures. This all seems like a big giant mess. Too bad, the idea of Vegas, watches and TRF sounds like a lot of fun. Based on what I am reading between the lines here, I don't know if there will be another event and understandably so. Too bad.
Old 5 May 2019, 06:23 AM   #42
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Part of the answer is the organizer is setting up the sponsored event.

Unfortunately there is some lack of clarity or agreement regarding the NRD and the expectations at the big dinner.

Overall a lot of work goes into the event and the organizer deserves to be compensated, that said the participants must have transparency.

Personally, the best outcome imho would be that those impacted are made whole and the issue of the NRD and dinner arrangements be sorted if there is a future for these events. These details should be crystal clear.
finally the compensation required by the organizer should be defined and agreed upon, up front by attendees.

I hope all come out of this ok.
All very good points Gus, and the customary way of doing business with an organizer/facilitator.

They are in business and should be compensated, and the compensation is normally agreed upon in advance. This organizer has said he has years of experience organizing this exact event, so it makes sense that he would accurately know what the costs and his margin are well in advance. The fact that he acts as if he's surprised and clueless when the dinner imploded is disturbing enough, but not offering refunds for service not rendered makes it all very suspicious.

If this was a watch transaction, what standard would the community apply to this "seller"?
Old 5 May 2019, 06:29 AM   #43
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Stevo has made an important point here and a remarkable gesture in the compensation.
Old 5 May 2019, 06:31 AM   #44
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
Really a GENEROUS and STAND-UP move, Steve.

+1000

Old 5 May 2019, 06:50 AM   #45
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Steve you are as always a class act. Clearly you are going above and beyond as someone else should be doing the reimbursing.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 5 May 2019, 06:53 AM   #46
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

I got this forwarded message from a fellow member and was asked to share this message with the whole community.
It seems that Gerardo just don’t care. He is not here making the compensation that he IMO should be doing, but instead he is planning more events. Or is this just a creative way breaking the rules of TRF? I would be more than happy to give Gerardo a chance to make things right and go on after that. But maby just too soon for him to organize events before cleaning up all the mess he created just a week ago? I don’t know... but honest, open dialogue needed...

Old 5 May 2019, 07:06 AM   #47
Rockrolex

Watch: What do you think?
I've read through this entire thread and I must disagree with a lot of what's been said. I don't think G makes anything off the LV GTG. His plane trips and hotel bills alone more than make up for the cost of the NRDs. Most of us have had great times at these events. And we have always paid for our meals on Friday night. This year I even went a day early just to participate in the Thursday experience.

However, I, too, applaud Steve for taking money out of his own pocket to compensate someone who wasn't offered a seat at dinner.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Old 5 May 2019, 07:06 AM   #48
Art 1
Banned

Saw that, but thats just a part of the whole thing. The above email, that is.
Old 5 May 2019, 07:08 AM   #49
Boothroyd

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
So if this was sent via Private Message on TRF, would strongly seem to me that violates Steve's rule that no more organization of this event take place via the TRF platform.

If by regular email, TRF would not be involved. Be interested to hear which it was.

(I wasn't at the event, but this has taken a serious turn and I think the question is relevant).
Old 5 May 2019, 07:30 AM   #50
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothroyd View Post
So if this was sent via Private Message on TRF, would strongly seem to me that violates Steve's rule that no more organization of this event take place via the TRF platform.

If by regular email, TRF would not be involved. Be interested to hear which it was.

(I wasn't at the event, but this has taken a serious turn and I think the question is relevant).
It was a private email.
Old 5 May 2019, 08:38 AM   #51
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
I've read through this entire thread and I must disagree with a lot of what's been said. I don't think G makes anything off the LV GTG. His plane trips and hotel bills alone more than make up for the cost of the NRDs. Most of us have had great times at these events. And we have always paid for our meals on Friday night. This year I even went a day early just to participate in the Thursday experience.

However, I, too, applaud Steve for taking money out of his own pocket to compensate someone who wasn't offered a seat at dinner.
It was great to see you at the GTG this year.

I would respond to your comment, respectfully, that I won’t speculate on whether or not the organizer makes money, but your point that we always pay for our Friday night dinner is, to a large degree, the issue because the NRD was paid to the organizer for that sole purpose, as specified by the organizer. If communicated from the beginning that the NRD were to be used for the organizer’s plane trips and hotel bills, I would be willing to bet that 99% of the attendees would not have blinked at this and been supportive.
Old 5 May 2019, 08:39 AM   #52
Old Expat Beast

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Steve you are as always a class act. Clearly you are going above and beyond as someone else should be doing the reimbursing.
x2
Old 5 May 2019, 10:02 AM   #53
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Is the organizer still a member here??
Old 5 May 2019, 11:24 AM   #54
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Classy and generous act, Steve.
Old 5 May 2019, 11:34 AM   #55
Alexwwjd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post

Totally agree with you Ed. I applaud Steve for compensating a fellow member here. I don't think it was needed, because it has always been clear to everyone, or at least me, that the event had nothing to do with TRF.

I'm really sorry to hear some people had a bad experience and I wish they had had a great time as I the one I had in Vegas.
Old 5 May 2019, 03:50 PM   #56
edyu

Steve,
Thank you. You shouldn't be the person paying though.
To those who paid the NRD but wasn't allowed to have dinner (sounds like those are what Steve is paying?), that seemed messed up and in that case Gerardo should pay the NRD back.
To those who didn't pay for the extra $100 after dinner, well you should regardless of your situation or excuse because some other member paid for you.
Old 5 May 2019, 05:19 PM   #57
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Class act Steve
I agree, that dinner was a mess and reading through the thread, Mike (kilyung) made a great post and the math doesn’t add up. Props to Steve for stepping in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRolexKingofLV View Post
That’s big of you Steve!

It’s sad that the person that should be doing the compensating isn’t.
Old 5 May 2019, 08:17 PM   #58
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
I remember the organizer for this event and his dumb posts in the past (predictions) but didn't want to criticize as he seemed like some sort of a forum hero or friend to many here. I was actually in town that weekend but after reading the snobby invite post and deposit decide to pass. Really classy move on your part for helping the member.
Old 5 May 2019, 09:01 PM   #59
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Incredible gesture. Talk about grabbing the bull by the horns to make things right. Right on Steve.
Old 5 May 2019, 09:01 PM   #60
Star Ferry
Banned

I thought about this for a minute, in combination with other information sent to me privately, and I believe the organizer made substantial profit from these "get togethers." I'm as sure about this as I was about BristolCavendish being a burner account for ref1655 (which was true).

(1) flying from MX City to LV, staying at the palazzo a few nights, and flying home can be done for $1000. it doesn't cost $15 grand, not by a long shot

(2) it's not mystifying why the organizer didn't pitch in for dinner -- if you stop thinking of it as a labor of love, and start thinking about it as a business venture, the whole point of which was to make money

(3) when you bring 100 high-end customers to an AD, and that AD makes several million dollars in sales as a result, the AD pays you a commission. there is no other explanation for why the organizer has for years now been identifying the "whales" to his friends at Deutsch & Deutsch. I'm close to 99% confident on this point. The repeated assertions that no commission was made are IMO preposterous.

I'm not sure why Audemars Piguet dropped out last minute, but I bet it has something to do with point 2, point 3, and general sketchiness they witnessed from the organizer and chose not to associate with
Closed Thread