The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 June 2022, 12:23 PM   #31
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I think you hit on a very good point Grady. I get down on myself because I “Shouldn’t” (in italics because my psychiatrist points out how many times I say this word) be having these problems, and I beat myself incessantly about past mistakes; thinking I don’t deserve to be happy. It is a struggle sometimes… but I do accept help and do what I can to get through. My best to all of you that also have difficulties.
Ask your provider about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). It's actually something you can do by yourself, but including your therapist is always a good idea.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 01:04 PM   #32
JParm

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wools View Post
Love how open people are being here, much love to any of you going through any and all (Mental) health issues.
Agree with that. Mental health is one of those topics that just isn't talked about enough and it's nice to see the support on this forum.
Old 21 June 2022, 01:38 PM   #33
-dustin

My wife suffers from pretty bad anxiety. It was under control until about September of last year. It sorta came to head last weekend at a bike race. Multiple panic attacks hit successively (or just one really fucking huge one). She ended up in a quiet corner of our hotel lobby (we had already checked out, but it was the only place she could get to that was quiet and isolated). I wasn’t aware of what was going on, unfortunately. And didn’t find out until hours later when I picked her up. It’s not something I can relate to in any way. We’ve considered checking her into some sort of outpatient program, but I don’t know. We like to think that what happened/ has been happening is situational. But it’s still hard. Hard to witness and feel helpless. She’s been teetering on the verge of collapse for a while, but we were both like “just gotta get through June 20th. That’s it.”

An inexcusable, alcohol-charged incident with someone we considered a friend took place at the race, on the 11th, that pushed her over the edge. She comes home tonight. We’ll figure out what to do going forward, and how to best address the anxiety. We’ve been married 10yrs in August, and I’ve never been this worried about her.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 01:44 PM   #34
-dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
I used to get panic attacks fairly frequently, and suffered through depression for a long time.
Holy. Shit. You have overcome some serious obstacles. That takes some legit strength.
Old 21 June 2022, 10:11 PM   #35
austinp
"TRF" Member

There is a group near where I live that helps PTSD people by partnering them with a retired service dog. Seems very effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 10:16 PM   #36
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
Agree with that. Mental health is one of those topics that just isn't talked about enough and it's nice to see the support on this forum.
Exactly this for me too

My wife shifted careers from FACS and child trafficking to metal health lead for a board of education. She loves developing programs to help kids and teachers with their mental health
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 11:45 PM   #37
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Anxiety, any one else?

Paul, I am sad to hear you’re still having to fight the anxiety. I had some severe issues many years ago, bridged the gap with meds and then weened myself off and self medicated. Just practiced mental strength every time id get bad thoughts I would spend hours telling myself my head is crazy and I’m strong enough to overcome it. It worked somewhat. Coupled with faith and lots of daily prayers for strength I was able to manage but those thoughts always would come back.

In April of 2021 I had Covid and decided to find every bit of info I could find to ensure I beat it.

I stumbled upon this blood doctor that started talking about how your body synthesizes vitamin d3 and he said the reason why suicide rates and other mental health issues spike in northern states during the winter is because they’re magnesium deficient and your body needs magnesium to synthesize the d3. So they could take as much vitamin d3 as they wanted but the body couldn’t use it. I was on day 4 of Covid and kept getting more symptoms daily when I found this video. I had my better half bring me some magnesium. Took a dose that night and the next morning my symptoms started retreating. I’ve continued to take vitamin d3, zinc and magnesium daily since because I wanted to be able to beat Covid again before getting to where I was. The hidden benefit to this that I realized a month or so ago was I can’t remember the last time I’ve actually had bad thoughts come into my mind. I attribute this to the magnesium. It could be a combination of the dog and magnesium but it was either or both of those because they’re the only things that changed.

I don’t know your health situation but if you can safely take vitamin d3, zinc and magnesium I’d give it a shot. I just take the recommended daily dose. Don’t take more than recommended because the magnesium will cause your body to start retaining iron.

It’s worth a shot and I swear by it. It’s cheap, not pharmaceutical and doesn’t alter my body in adverse ways.

Pm me if you want more details or need to talk to someone.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2022, 06:34 AM   #38
OYptL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Invicta
Klonopin twice a day and Quetiapine. Have been on these for yrs and yrs. Don’t be afraid of ta king meds that will help you.
OYptL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2022, 06:44 AM   #39
Star Ferry
Banned

Caveat that I’m not a doctor. Had anxiety before and doctor prescribed me antidepressants — idea being that repetitive negative thoughts that cause depression are closely related to anxiety symptoms. I no longer take the medicine, but I think it worked. A few depression meds are approved for anxiety, while others are prescribed off-label.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2022, 08:22 AM   #40
textilexst
Banned

Anxiety was my friend long after I lost my dog. It was a difficult time that I still remember with a hint of bitterness...
textilexst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2022, 01:24 PM   #41
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Interesting article along the lines of what I previously posted….

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/24/w...s-affairs.html

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2022, 01:41 PM   #42
sleepydoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
My wife suffers from pretty bad anxiety. It was under control until about September of last year. It sorta came to head last weekend at a bike race. Multiple panic attacks hit successively (or just one really fucking huge one). She ended up in a quiet corner of our hotel lobby (we had already checked out, but it was the only place she could get to that was quiet and isolated). I wasn’t aware of what was going on, unfortunately. And didn’t find out until hours later when I picked her up. It’s not something I can relate to in any way. We’ve considered checking her into some sort of outpatient program, but I don’t know. We like to think that what happened/ has been happening is situational. But it’s still hard. Hard to witness and feel helpless. She’s been teetering on the verge of collapse for a while, but we were both like “just gotta get through June 20th. That’s it.”

An inexcusable, alcohol-charged incident with someone we considered a friend took place at the race, on the 11th, that pushed her over the edge. She comes home tonight. We’ll figure out what to do going forward, and how to best address the anxiety. We’ve been married 10yrs in August, and I’ve never been this worried about her.
I sincerely hope your wife is feeling better. Your description sounds quite concerning and I would recommend you reach out for help to her MD or other mental health professional. It’s not always something you can handle alone.
sleepydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2022, 02:21 PM   #43
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Amazing group of people here sharing their experiences. I applaud all of you for taking the time and opening up on this forum that may reach many folks who haven’t found the best way to learn or ask about their own experiences.

I have had some challenging situations in my profession and have leaned on coworkers /friends to navigate them. As I am nearing retirement I have some concern about what too much free time to reflect might reveal.

I expect I may revisit this thread down the road.

Thank you for starting it Paul and best of luck finding a healthy solution for you. .
Old 25 June 2022, 03:23 PM   #44
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Paul,

Thank you for your service to our great country. I know you’re a vet around here as well, and I’m merely a rookie, but it’s refreshing to see your level of vulnerability in your post. I wish more people were as forthcoming with their psychological battles, as everyone has them.

I have also struggled with anxiety. I’m young-ish, and decided to start my own business about 1 year ago. It was difficult at first due to legal battles with my prior firm. I would receive constant threats and intimidation from them, which was rough. Legal threats notwithstanding, I was constantly second-guessing my decision, and whether I was ready. I have a young family, so the risk in my mind was magnified even more. Our minds work is mysterious ways.

I’ve found regular exercise has made a huge difference, as well as shifting my mindset to appreciate the small things. I know we’re on a Rolex forum, but early on I tried to appreciate basic things like having a healthy family, a roof, food, etc. All things I took for granted when with my prior firm on salary. I feel both of those actions have mitigated anxiety, but also helped improve personal and business relations. If things were worse at the time, I would’ve hired a psychiatrist.

To better days ahead!
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2022, 03:33 PM   #45
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Paul, my wife has pretty bad anxiety and I’ve seen her out of nowhere have a near breakdown where she just starts crying. It’s really tough. She was taking medication when she felt she needed it, my understanding is this is a really tough way to take that type of medicine. For her, what works best is being on it all the time. When she’s taking it full time, she has almost no issues.

I have a bit of anxiety and depression and I’ve been in therapy for a little over a year now. It’s had a huge impact. I would say the depression is essentially gone and my anxiety rarely pops up.

Best of luck my friend, i hope you find the answer soon.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2022, 02:47 AM   #46
-dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydoc View Post
I sincerely hope your wife is feeling better. Your description sounds quite concerning and I would recommend you reach out for help to her MD or other mental health professional. It’s not always something you can handle alone.
She has spoken with her doctor, and they tweaked her rxs. And she just left to visit with her therapist. She talked to her therapist a couple days after she got home and typically they do meetings via Zoom. Today is in-person, though. We’ll see how it goes. Forward progress has been made, but I do realize there will be some tough days ahead.
Old 26 June 2022, 04:21 AM   #47
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
Paul,

Thank you for your service to our great country. I know you’re a vet around here as well, and I’m merely a rookie, but it’s refreshing to see your level of vulnerability in your post. I wish more people were as forthcoming with their psychological battles, as everyone has them.

I have also struggled with anxiety. I’m young-ish, and decided to start my own business about 1 year ago. It was difficult at first due to legal battles with my prior firm. I would receive constant threats and intimidation from them, which was rough. Legal threats notwithstanding, I was constantly second-guessing my decision, and whether I was ready. I have a young family, so the risk in my mind was magnified even more. Our minds work is mysterious ways.

I’ve found regular exercise has made a huge difference, as well as shifting my mindset to appreciate the small things. I know we’re on a Rolex forum, but early on I tried to appreciate basic things like having a healthy family, a roof, food, etc. All things I took for granted when with my prior firm on salary. I feel both of those actions have mitigated anxiety, but also helped improve personal and business relations. If things were worse at the time, I would’ve hired a psychiatrist.

To better days ahead!
Mate, in three years you will be so happy you made this move even without the guarantee of a salary. Nothing gave me more joy than signing my own paycheck after I opened my own law practice.

Managing stress and anxiety is crucial. Try and find a good network of fellow business owners (not friends and family who will just always tell you what they think you want to hear) to have a good source of honest, neutral advice.

My psychiatrist during those initial years was a Specialized mountain bike.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2022, 06:36 AM   #48
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Thank you for all your kinds words and support, I appreciate it very much. Maybe this thread will help TRFers (like myself) dealing with mental health issues, I truly hope so. Thank you to all those that have shared their experiences.

I try not to take the prescription medicine unless I really have to (twice this week, which isn’t too bad) but I have experimented with about 1,000 different supplements that claim to help with anxiety. The one I am taking now does seem to help a bit, does anyone have any other recommendations? There are literally hundreds out on the market, with magnesium, ashgwanda, and countless other ingredients, but if anyone finds a particular supplement to be helpful please pass it on!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2022, 06:43 AM   #49
-dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Thank you for all your kinds words and support, I appreciate it very much. Maybe this thread will help TRFers (like myself) dealing with mental health issues, I truly hope so. Thank you to all those that have shared their experiences.

I try not to take the prescription medicine unless I really have to (twice this week, which isn’t too bad) but I have experimented with about 1,000 different supplements that claim to help with anxiety. The one I am taking now does seem to help a bit, does anyone have any other recommendations? There are literally hundreds out on the market, with magnesium, ashgwanda, and countless other ingredients, but if anyone finds a particular supplement to be helpful please pass it on!
From where do you source Calm? Directly from RH?
Old 26 June 2022, 06:55 AM   #50
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
From where do you source Calm? Directly from RH?
Amazon, buy it in packs of 3 bottles, I think it does help a bit.
Old 26 June 2022, 06:51 PM   #51
rolehex

St. Johns Wort would be my recommendation to help relax the mind and help get out of the anxiety loop. Drops i find best so you can better control to dosage. Sorry your having some issues right now buddy!
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2022, 10:05 AM   #52
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
I believe I have PTSD from childhood abuse and developed issues with anxiety and depression intermittently throughout my life.

For prescription medication alternatives look into:

L-theanine
Ashwaghanda
CBD capsules
Silexan Lavender
Lemon Balm
5-HTP
L-tryptophan
L-tyrosine
GABA
Camomile Tea
Kava Kava tea
Mediation
Mindfulness
Exercise
Transcranial Electro Stimulation
Vagus Nerve stimulation
Acceptance

I did pharma genetic testing and many medications for anxiety didn’t jive well with me. Testing only confirmed. Lol.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2022, 01:42 PM   #53
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
I applaud the OP and everyone else who is sharing. Mental health issues are ubiquitous and do not care about your "social class," family name, bank account, or the value of your watch collection.

I have heard of good results with EMDR therapy, as others have discussed. Also, a combat vet colleague of mine has used PTSD service dogs for years, which have helped him.

Also, while this is not entirely on-point, if the OP or anyone else needs any help with VA getting the benefits you've so rightly earned, I work for a law firm that represents veterans all over the country in their fight to get benefits. Also, while I am not a Veteran myself, our firm is strongly rooted in the military and a large portion of our staff and attorneys have served so we have people who know what it's like.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

And again, thank you for bringing up this critical topic!
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2022, 01:36 AM   #54
OYptL
"TRF" Member

The problem with medication or anything thing else for that matter is that anxiety and panic attacks come on way too fast to take a pill as it generally speaking takes close to 30 minutes to take effect. The 1mg 2x a day Klonopin that I take basically cover a 24 hr period and the quetiapine enhances the Clonazepam. That regiment has made a huge impact on attacks. Sorry for the second post. Good luck OP on finding the right balance for yourself.
Old 1 July 2022, 02:48 AM   #55
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Medications that can be habit forming really shouldn’t be used as a long term treatment for mood disorders. I would suggest getting a second or third opinion to anyone who has been prescribed these medications as anything other than a PRN.
Old 1 July 2022, 04:34 AM   #56
OYptL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atone View Post
Medications that can be habit forming really shouldn’t be used as a long term treatment for mood disorders. I would suggest getting a second or third opinion to anyone who has been prescribed these medications as anything other than a PRN.
No question but in my case habit forming isn’t a bad thing. I will use them as prescribed and to keep my disorders in check. Most of you medical professionals have no idea about people who live in Chronic Pain or have mental disorders and walk on eggshells for fear of state government watching over you. The people who don’t need Opiiod or benzodiazepine and use it for recreational purposes have ruined it for the people who really need it. It’s not my opinion it’s my life and reality.
Old 1 July 2022, 04:43 AM   #57
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OYptL View Post
No question but in my case habit forming isn’t a bad thing. I will use them as prescribed and to keep my disorders in check. Most of you medical professionals have no idea about people who live in Chronic Pain or have mental disorders and walk on eggshells for fear of state government watching over you. The people who don’t need Opiiod or benzodiazepine and use it for recreational purposes have ruined it for the people who really need it. It’s not my opinion it’s my life and reality.
I am a mental health professional and work with mood disorders, trauma, chronic pain, etc. It still worries me to see these medications prescribed for long term use as this was not the intended purpose for them. I’ve seen way too many folks wind up in detox than actually find lasting relief from anxiety. My comment was not in judgment, I worry that many doctors are too liberal with such powerful and potentially destructive medications.
Old 1 July 2022, 07:45 AM   #58
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Doing some research, “looking for a natural alternative to Xanax” a local Holistic … Uhm.. “Pharmacy” I guess, got great reviews. It is not a dispensary and I saw no pot in there, CBD? Probably, but anyway they must know what they are doing they all wore lab coats… All joking aside it was a very professional place and they were very nice. I told them I was seeking a natural alternative to Xanax and they said I should be looking in to the mushroom product line. The only mushroom line I know is magic mushrooms, and as fun as they were in college if I took any of those I’d freak out right now. The SA said there was no psilocybin in these products, but different types of mushrooms offer relief from anxiety, insomnia, etc. She gave me a free sample of two pills and said give them a try… So I did.

I don’t want to say miracle, but they acted as close to Xanax pills of everything I have tried; just a calming effect that was noticeable. I went back and bought a full bottle.

I recommend giving the mushrooms a try to anyone else
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 00AC23D8-56E6-4E3C-85F8-CB5BCC217BC8.jpeg (266.4 KB, 50 views)
Old 1 July 2022, 08:28 AM   #59
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

I have never commented on a forum on mental health in my life so here goes.

I may well have issues relating to this subject but have never been diagnosed. What I have done is develop ways of coping with what happens in my life.

My best example is a deck of cards. Every one of us has been given a deck of cards and every few years you get a new hand. You get some good cards and some bad ones. The key thing to remember is every one get bad ones as well. Different ones but still bad. That helps me cope with the crap that gets thrown at me. When my friends talk to me about their issues I tell about the deck of cards. It seems to help but who knows.

I can’t imagine PTSD from being a veteran, tough as it gets probably. My grandad was at Dunkirk, he talked to me about it once in his whole life. That chat was about 5 mins. I feel for you man but please remember all the good cards you have to play with too.

Scott

DoricSpiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 02:14 AM   #60
OYptL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atone View Post
I am a mental health professional and work with mood disorders, trauma, chronic pain, etc. It still worries me to see these medications prescribed for long term use as this was not the intended purpose for them. I’ve seen way too many folks wind up in detox than actually find lasting relief from anxiety. My comment was not in judgment, I worry that many doctors are too liberal with such powerful and potentially destructive medications.
Fair enough Jesse. Thx for what you do.