The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 June 2022, 01:19 AM   #1
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Oh Dear......

I know some people think this is the future and a good idea. I'm not one of them.

I think it's being aggressively pushed by large corporations to automate the distribution of goods cutting down on labor costs, to maximize profits.

https://newatlas.com/automotive/einr...oads-approval/
Old 29 June 2022, 01:23 AM   #2
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’m on the fence. I’m what you’d call a late adopter when it comes to technology.

I don’t want to be the first guy driving on the road with these things
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 01:49 AM   #3
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I know some people think this is the future and a good idea. I'm not one of them.

I think it's being aggressively pushed by large corporations to automate the distribution of goods cutting down on labor costs, to maximize profits.

https://newatlas.com/automotive/einr...oads-approval/
Tech will eventually be the demise of civilization, if not already.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 02:15 AM   #4
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
As much as that sound like a "get off my lawn" statement, I think you may be right.

When you take something as supposedly harmless as social media....sharing with family and friends... and see what it turned into you have to wonder where we are heading.

The world is rapidly becoming owned by a very few number of people who are borderline sociopaths, and governments are all controlled by their money and power, we are more powerless than we ever have been before.
Old 29 June 2022, 02:30 AM   #5
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I’m on the fence. I’m what you’d call a late adopter when it comes to technology.

Right there with you.

We were warned about Skynet.
Old 29 June 2022, 02:34 AM   #6
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Quote:

Oh boy.... couldn't agree more!
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 03:22 AM   #7
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Unfortunately our politicians are not doing enough to combat the 'threat' of automation. Opinion on tech notwithstanding, technology like this will put many, many people out of work.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 03:29 AM   #8
Theeon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
Unfortunately our politicians are not doing enough to combat the 'threat' of automation. Opinion on tech notwithstanding, technology like this will put many, many people out of work.
You can say that again.
Theeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 04:58 AM   #9
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As much as that sound like a "get off my lawn" statement, I think you may be right.

When you take something as supposedly harmless as social media....sharing with family and friends... and see what it turned into you have to wonder where we are heading.

The world is rapidly becoming owned by a very few number of people who are borderline sociopaths, and governments are all controlled by their money and power, we are more powerless than we ever have been before.

Couldn’t agree more. I guess they call it progress?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
austinp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 05:21 AM   #10
DLRIDES
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
I can see both sides, and have no idea as to which direction to go.

Stable workers, wagon/buggy drivers, blacksmiths, etc said the same about automobiles/trucks ………………
Old 29 June 2022, 05:23 AM   #11
Brandband
Banned

Watch: Rolex Batman
As much as advanced technology brings good changes in some aspects, there has to be control on what should or shouldn't be accepted.
Like already said, certain development only means loss of jobs and that isn't progress.
Brandband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 05:25 AM   #12
Brandband
Banned

Watch: Rolex Batman
While progress is welcomed, somethings aren't just okay. I don't feel comfortable with this on the roads that's besides the fact that it'll make some persons automatically lose their jobs.
Brandband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 05:29 AM   #13
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I used to be a computer programmer, and I know what it takes to write good code, and even the best code behind an autonomous vehicle cannot account for the crazy unpredictable behavior of the humans driving the other vehicles.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 09:31 AM   #14
OYptL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Invicta
Ugh……..I’m actually glad to be on the backside of life.
OYptL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 09:51 AM   #15
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Tech is pretty useless without a civilization to make use of it and to make it profitable.

Of course, we are watching the institutions of society crumble before our very eyes, which could very well be the demise of civilization.

Then, we will find out how much technology is worth.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 10:03 AM   #16
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
I can see both sides, and have no idea as to which direction to go.

Stable workers, wagon/buggy drivers, blacksmiths, etc said the same about automobiles/trucks ………………
I hear you DL. But one difference bothers me. The concentration of wealth in fewer people.
Old 29 June 2022, 10:05 AM   #17
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
Tech is pretty useless without a civilization to make use of it and to make it profitable.

Of course, we are watching the institutions of society crumble before our very eyes, which could very well be the demise of civilization.

Then, we will find out how much technology is worth.
Indeed Grady.
Old 29 June 2022, 10:14 AM   #18
Dr. Robert
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by OYptL View Post
Ugh……..I’m actually glad to be on the backside of life.

Bah humbug, me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 June 2022, 10:27 AM   #19
DLRIDES
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
I hear you DL. But one difference bothers me. The concentration of wealth in fewer people.
While I do not have the specific data, in early 1900’s, even fewer individuals of great wealth than now, controlled the US government. Even to the extent of loaning the government money, and openly admitting paying for/choosing a president ! Theodore Roosevelt was elected with a mandate from the citizenry to dismantle said tycoon ran monopolies, and was successful.

The capitalist would say that lost driving jobs will reappear in the new transportation tech sector. The jobs transition time could take decades.

I don’t know where I stand on this, but we’ve been here before, let’s just hope society makes the shift.

IDK
Old 29 June 2022, 10:35 AM   #20
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
This is basically the state of existence Europe emerged from not long ago. Self-governance was hard won and is being handed back during relatively comfortable times. We are definitely not more powerless than ever before, though. Not in USA anyway.
Old 29 June 2022, 10:48 AM   #21
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Oh Dear......

I will take wagers that fewer incidents will occur with this technology thanks to the AI learning code creating sentient transport. For now it is limited to freight with a human who is remotely monitoring the thing with an override button at the ready.

This has gone before us centuries ago.

The wheel itself, albeit unrecorded in history as to the level of litter-bearers displaced via redundancy, launched the first disruptive transport wave in the 4th millennium BCE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 01:29 PM   #22
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Typically humans are the problem. I’m cool with it until I have reason not to be.
Old 29 June 2022, 11:20 PM   #23
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Ha, right after I typed that I realized I sounded curmudgeony. And I don't think all tech is necessarily bad. Medical, health, and safety advancements are positive in my view... but all of the data gathering with mobile phones and social media, mixed in with the high tech from corporations is something to be concerned with. And autonomous trucks on the road??? No thanks! I think you nailed it with the word "control."

I hate tech for the sake of tech. Sometimes we overcomplicate things for no real reason other than it seems to be the cool thing to do. Something to play with... This coming from someone who still listens to vinyl, likes to manually shift cars (with a clutch pedal), and shoot film - ha!
Old 30 June 2022, 06:29 PM   #24
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
...I don’t want to be the first guy driving on the road with these things
I find it interesting how much blind faith we put in other humans behind the wheel of their vehicle (myself included).

A quick search brought up this nugget:

"human error accounts for anywhere between 94% to 96% of all auto accidents. Several other studies have produced similar results, and every study that we know of shows that the percentage of car accidents that are caused by human error is at least 90%."

I'll take my chances with Skynet
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2022, 06:45 PM   #25
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I didn’t bother reading the link Scott but I am sure that some disasters happening now and in the future will be tracked down to one dry joint on a computer chip.

Don’t take your eye off the ball.

I had two call outs this week on safety equipment and both issues were caused by a microscopic crack on a circuit board caused by over tightening of a connection.

That was caused by human error but the end result is the same.

An unusable laboratory?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2022, 10:14 PM   #26
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
I find it interesting how much blind faith we put in other humans behind the wheel of their vehicle (myself included).

A quick search brought up this nugget:

"human error accounts for anywhere between 94% to 96% of all auto accidents. Several other studies have produced similar results, and every study that we know of shows that the percentage of car accidents that are caused by human error is at least 90%."

I'll take my chances with Skynet
Fair enough

I’ll re state my position, I’d rather be in control of my own vehicle than skynet
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 01:57 AM   #27
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Expect more automation to be implemented as people transition out of jobs like truckers and other pipeline jobs as they retire out and WILL NOT be replaced by younger people.

These jobs are grueling and isolating. Companies have to pay much. much higher wages and promise "NO TOUCH" freight to even get anyone in the cab anymore...especially with all the regs the drivers have to maintain and follow.

Same with warehouse / factory jobs....they will just go do rideshare jobs or food delivery. Gig jobs are more inline with the younger worker. No rigid schedule. Just turn on phone...work a bit. Whatever. Whenever. That beats working at some hot warehouse or factory...and most youths couldn't care less about benefits.

So, bring on the robots. I don't see us having much choice if we need to actually get anything done.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 01:59 AM   #28
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
We reached diminishing returns with tech like back in the 80’s. It causes as many problems as it solves and often more. In reality, we are not really any better off than we were in the 80‘s and one author makes the assertion that we are not appreciably better off than on the eve of wwii. The argument is compelling.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 02:07 AM   #29
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
We reached diminishing returns with tech like back in the 80’s. It causes as many problems as it solves and often more. In reality, we are not really any better off than we were in the 80‘s and one author makes the assertion that we are not appreciably better off than on the eve of wwii. The argument is compelling.
Which author?
Old 1 July 2022, 02:23 AM   #30
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I was kid in the 50s, a teenager in the 60s, a business owner and married in the 70s and beyond. All the tech and all the toys in the later decades have not made my life better.

Different for sure, but not better.

Medical tech is good for mankind, but all the rest have not made me better, happier or more money.

When I look back on my life and see the damage that tech has created by overnight goods, google, internet toys, massive corporations, garbage disguised as food, pollution etc. I don't see much benefit.

I guess the main problem is people are just the same as they were for thousands of years and the tech will not make us better but probably worse.