The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 January 2022, 01:23 AM   #1
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Speedmaster 38

Every time that I wear my Speedmaster Pro, my SO comments on it. She never does this with my Rolex watches. She says there is just something special about it.

I offered it to her but she has really skinny wrists and it is just way too large for her at 42mm. She does have a 36mm Datejust that fits her pretty good.

Anyone with the Speedmaster 38 that can comment on it?
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2022, 02:11 AM   #2
Xv1
"TRF" Member

I gave my old Speedmaster (left), when I got my 42. I had it for 20 years, but it started to feel/look small on my wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Xv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2022, 03:26 AM   #3
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

I like both sizes.

[IMG][/IMG]
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2022, 12:12 AM   #4
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Nice watches. Gotta love the Speedmasters.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2022, 12:26 AM   #5
dmhines
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss / GMT II
Love my 38mm ... its a little chunky and the quick date change requiring a tool is not the greatest .. but looks and fits great on my 6.75 inch wrist. 36mm is probably the best size for a woman unless she has larger wrist although the 38mm Speedy is sold by Omega as a woman's model ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speedy.jpg (229.6 KB, 523 views)
Breitling SOH II - Brown 42 / Breitling 806 Re-Edition
dmhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2022, 05:16 AM   #6
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhines View Post
Love my 38mm ... its a little chunky and the quick date change requiring a tool is not the greatest .. but looks and fits great on my 6.75 inch wrist. 36mm is probably the best size for a woman unless she has larger wrist although the 38mm Speedy is sold by Omega as a woman's model ..
That is a good looking Speedmaster.
Old 2 January 2022, 10:17 AM   #7
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
I just got the Speeedmaster 38 ice blue dial and I love it.
My wrist is small but I’m used to wearing bigger watches, as I don’t wear a lot of jewelry .
This watch is comfortable and really lovely !
If your wife is really interested in your Speedy, she is probably open to wearing a larger watch.

Kinnakeet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2022, 03:53 AM   #8
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnakeet View Post
My wrist is small but I’m used to wearing bigger watches, as I don’t wear a lot of jewelry .
If your wife is really interested in your Speedy, she is probably open to wearing a larger watch.

Sorry. Lost track of this thread.

That blue dial is very nice. Do you feel the watch is too thick? I looked at one the other day and was surprised how thick it was.
Old 30 June 2022, 07:18 AM   #9
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

I don't own one, but I have tried one on before my 3861 arrived. To me, the 38mm speedmaster reduced wears quite small, and 36-38mm is my sweet spot size for most dressy style watches. I think the asymmetrical case has to do with this, I thought it felt more like a 36mm watch, personally.

I also have both Seiko SKX 009 (at 42,5mm) and the SKX 013 (at 38mm). Both wear smaller than the specs suggest. But my point is similar to the Speedmaster reduced. The SKX013 at 38mm feels really small on my smallish (6.5") wrist. So much that I take it off within minutes of trying to wear it. I really bought it for my wife, but it's like pulling teeth to get her to wear a watch. I thought I would give it a go every now and then... but it never lasts for more than a minute or two.

I wear my 3861 nearly every day (it's even on my wrist while typing this). To me, this is very nearly the perfect watch. If I could change one thing, it would be to make it 2mm smaller and keeping the proportions. 40mm to include the assymetrical case would be ideal for my wrist, though the 42mm is not a deal-breaker for me. It really wears more like a 40mm watch, but that dial is so huge.

I guess long story short, I think it would work for your wife if she wears a Datejust. But for me personally, both the Speedmaster reduced, and the skx013 are too thick for the smaller case diameter (in my opinion).
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 08:34 PM   #10
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
But for me personally, both the Speedmaster reduced, and the skx013 are too thick for the smaller case diameter (in my opinion).
This is my biggest concern. There is a local dealer that has a used reduced in stock I may go look at. My local Omega dealer has a new 38 in stock. I'll have to compare the two.
Old 1 July 2022, 09:24 PM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

Congratulations Michelle
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 05:46 AM   #12
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

My SO tried on a new 38 today at our local Omega boutique. Right away, she said it felt too thick on her wrist. She has skinny wrists and was wearing a Rolex 34mm at the time. The SA kept saying that she will get used to it. I don't think so, unfortunately.
Old 2 July 2022, 08:03 AM   #13
Jprieur
"TRF" Member

I recently bought my wife the Speedmaster 38 as a surprise gift for her birthday. She has been, up to this point, a ladies datejust wearer (26mm). For reference her wrist is 5" (tiny).

At first I didn't like the trend of ladies wearing 'mens' watches, and thought it just a passing fad. However, over time, I have now noticed that smaller watches on women just don't look right to me anymore. I agree with the SA, she will get used to it. Case in point, my daily is now a 43.5 PO, which at first I found too thick at 16mm. Now, after having worn it for so long, I am not comfortable wearing a standard 42mm Speedmaster (I feel like its too thin and dainty). It's all about perspective.

Just a note, because Omega does not do a good job of explaining this. The black dial Speedmaster 38 (standard round subdials) comes with a bracelet that has 8 fixed links on each side, while the other dials (colors with the oval subdials and date window) come with 6 fixed links on each side. So if her wrists are really small, you will either have to get the permanent links removed by a professional watch maker, or order the other bracelet from Omega to get it to fit skinny wrists.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0337.jpeg (201.3 KB, 290 views)
Jprieur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 10:57 AM   #14
Jster
2024 Pledge Member

Just curious what she likes about your Speedy. Do you typically wear it on a strap or bracelet? My wife’s comments are usually directed at my strap more then the watch head.

BTW, I recently saw the ice blue Speedy 38 at an Omeaga Boutique and it is gorgeous.
Jster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2022, 08:41 PM   #15
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jster View Post
Just curious what she likes about your Speedy. Do you typically wear it on a strap or bracelet? My wife’s comments are usually directed at my strap more then the watch head.

BTW, I recently saw the ice blue Speedy 38 at an Omeaga Boutique and it is gorgeous.
This is a mystery to me also. Mine is on the bracelet. She never comments or notices when I wear either of my Rolex. However, when I have the Speedy on she always says," Oh, you are wearing my watch today. I really like that one."
Old 3 July 2022, 08:45 PM   #16
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jprieur View Post
I recently bought my wife the Speedmaster 38 as a surprise gift for her birthday. She has been, up to this point, a ladies datejust wearer (26mm). For reference her wrist is 5" (tiny).

At first I didn't like the trend of ladies wearing 'mens' watches, and thought it just a passing fad. However, over time, I have now noticed that smaller watches on women just don't look right to me anymore. I agree with the SA, she will get used to it. Case in point, my daily is now a 43.5 PO, which at first I found too thick at 16mm. Now, after having worn it for so long, I am not comfortable wearing a standard 42mm Speedmaster (I feel like its too thin and dainty). It's all about perspective.

Just a note, because Omega does not do a good job of explaining this. The black dial Speedmaster 38 (standard round subdials) comes with a bracelet that has 8 fixed links on each side, while the other dials (colors with the oval subdials and date window) come with 6 fixed links on each side. So if her wrists are really small, you will either have to get the permanent links removed by a professional watch maker, or order the other bracelet from Omega to get it to fit skinny wrists.
Congrats on the new watch. Did you have to remove any of the fixed links for her?
Old 4 July 2022, 08:25 AM   #17
Jprieur
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
Congrats on the new watch. Did you have to remove any of the fixed links for her?
Yes, had to remove one fixed link on the 6 o'clock side. I might even remove one on the 12 o'clock side too; she wants to try it like this for a bit to see how it is (during summer months) before going any further.

I actually ended up removing the fixed link myself, took about 5 minutes using 2 pairs of vice grips. I could not find a local watchmaker who would even agree to do it.
Jprieur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2022, 11:38 PM   #18
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Congratulations Michelle
Thanks Brian!
Old 4 July 2022, 11:41 PM   #19
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
Sorry. Lost track of this thread.

That blue dial is very nice. Do you feel the watch is too thick? I looked at one the other day and was surprised how thick it was.
Not at all. I love this watch. But I do wear 40mm Rolexes and GS. Some I’m used to larger watches. Really this is a very nice watch that I would recommend. In fact I have had some compliments.

Both of those shown were purchased in Florida at the same time.
Old 7 July 2022, 06:09 AM   #20
blindpilot
"TRF" Member

i have a 38 Speedy and it wears like my 36 Datejust. The speedy is a bit thicker than the DJ but not overly so.
blindpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2022, 07:35 AM   #21
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

I ended up buying a Speedmaster reduced today from a local repeated jewelry store. Fantastic condition.

No box and papers but it comes with a full service and 1 yr warranty She will need to get it sized. I will post pictures after she opens it up and puts it on.

Thanks for all the responses and help.
Old 7 July 2022, 11:32 AM   #22
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

She was very excited tonight...

Old 8 July 2022, 02:35 AM   #23
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Looks great. Very nice.
Old 8 July 2022, 05:26 AM   #24
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Looks great. Very nice.
Thanks Michelle. I appreciate all your input.
Old 8 July 2022, 06:50 AM   #25
HuguenotSW1
Banned

nice two watches
HuguenotSW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2022, 04:02 AM   #26
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Icon2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuguenotSW1 View Post
nice two watches
Thanks. She is enjoying hers' as much as I enjoy mine.