The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 1 July 2022, 08:51 AM   #1801
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post

Since you ask though, your post feels a lot like watch snob gate keeping worrying about collectors and totally removed from the realities of actually growing a business.
Ha... the question I asked was "What do you think about this news? Doesn't feel like such a "good thing" from a collector's perspective...." The sentence was bolded, at the very top.

So that "feeling" you got about it being about collectors, after reading word for word that it was about collectors, was spot on. (Sarcasm... but with all due respect and love my friend... free game for calling me a snob).

Banter aside, you do make a great point about a collector's concern over longevity. Which is what I was driving at in the first post: how do you survive if you get pinched in the middle? Is that something they should worry about or is the demand and intrinsic value so great that they will stay in this rather exclusive category they currently find themselves in?
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 09:41 AM   #1802
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

3000 a year, for now, is very reasonable. It also allows added investment into service departments in various key locations and other underlining services, meet and greets, etc that are expected from premium luxury companies. Dare not ask the costs just to setup at shows each year, something needs to support underlining costs.

Most know I'm in the high-end audio sector, and over the past 30+ years have seen everything from one-guy operation in his basement in Cincinnati grow to design digital USB audio you've seen A LOT in catalogs and airplane magazines... to small warehouse guys for production who just wants to make a couple of ultra-exotica tube amps a year (demand is crazy, supply is like Kari V).

It's great to be part of Czapek's growth, and their growth supports more watchmakers, that supports more stores that have employees who have families....

Hey, it's not like they're gonna just crank out 60,000 a year.......................... just yet. Each era of economic and political circumstances has its own set of unique challenges and benefits.

If you think of it, there are many parallels with TRUE independent manufacturers of both luxury sectors. Ugh, that reminds me I owe Peter of Deployant an article.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 10:03 AM   #1803
Bug04
"TRF" Member

In itself, 3000 a year is reasonable. Still, it is approx 10x the production of last year, so … good but there is a kind of challenge to drive carefully the acceleration.
Bug04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 02:11 AM   #1804
deuxani
"TRF" Member

And realistically, such a growth will not be met quickly. Finding qualified personal in such a niche sector is very difficult, so wanting to get to 3000 watches a year doesn’t mean it will happen soon. It will probably be a slow process to get to those numbers, which is totally fine so they can follow more carefully what the market is doing.
deuxani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 07:53 AM   #1805
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

I hope it's over a period of time ramping up. If this slowdown stays slow that might be ambitious.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2022, 06:12 AM   #1806
BrunoMalik
Banned

I visited the Czapek boutique in Geneva last week and had a chance to try on the new Antarctique S. Lovely package. It had the updated bracelet and the connection to the case is drastically improved. The side to side movement has been completely eliminated and there is only a tiny give on the vertical axis. I was shocked at how good it was compared to my first gen Antarctique. The boutique staff said it will be even more solid after they get the new pins. Thats honestly pretty impressive at how quickly they reacted and fixed it.

If you have the chance, swing by the boutique and try it.

Also, I saw an earlier post who said Czapek might slide in the GP/Chopard/Bulgari category. Well…fear not. I was lucky to get a sneak peak of whats coming in 2023/24 and just WOW. It will be solidly in the VC/AP/ PP category. Actually, their new upcoming complication cannot be matched by any of the “holy trinity” brands. Insane stuff. Sorry, cant say more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BrunoMalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2022, 07:16 AM   #1807
deuxani
"TRF" Member

That is really great news! All of it! Thanks for sharing and making us curious, cant wait to see what’s coming.
deuxani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2022, 07:48 AM   #1808
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

That's great to hear they fixed the bracelet, the bracelet wobble is what prompted me to cancel my order a few days ago....
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2022, 09:09 AM   #1809
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

That's great to hear BrunoMalik

Monochrome White = Strap Monster

Here she is on black leather strap with red stitching.

9ed.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 3 July 2022, 09:14 AM   #1810
ckmcknight
"TRF" Member

Any word on if they will make the fix available to existing owners?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
ckmcknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2022, 09:19 AM   #1811
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Yes, they will at no cost. They sent previous bracelet owners the newer version butterfly clasp with extendable end bits. Czapek has a strong longterm plan

Old 3 July 2022, 09:45 AM   #1812
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO;PP5230G
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoMalik View Post
I visited the Czapek boutique in Geneva last week and had a chance to try on the new Antarctique S. Lovely package. It had the updated bracelet and the connection to the case is drastically improved. The side to side movement has been completely eliminated and there is only a tiny give on the vertical axis. I was shocked at how good it was compared to my first gen Antarctique. The boutique staff said it will be even more solid after they get the new pins. Thats honestly pretty impressive at how quickly they reacted and fixed it.

If you have the chance, swing by the boutique and try it.

Also, I saw an earlier post who said Czapek might slide in the GP/Chopard/Bulgari category. Well…fear not. I was lucky to get a sneak peak of whats coming in 2023/24 and just WOW. It will be solidly in the VC/AP/ PP category. Actually, their new upcoming complication cannot be matched by any of the “holy trinity” brands. Insane stuff. Sorry, cant say more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Great news. Thank you for the information.
Rexplorer214270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2022, 05:48 PM   #1813
Bug04
"TRF" Member

The extendable clasp with be sent, on demand, to existing owners “at cost”, so it will have to be paid but with no margins applied on price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Yes, they will at no cost. They sent previous bracelet owners the newer version butterfly clasp with extendable end bits. Czapek has a strong longterm plan
Old 3 July 2022, 10:05 PM   #1814
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Bug04 you're right of course.

Personally, I'm fine with the current system though am curious about the new spring bars. Have changed bands at least five times and my 5-cent heat shrink mod works great, not that it was even 'needed' quite frankly.

I'm looking forward to future releases

Old 4 July 2022, 12:42 AM   #1815
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Grey Rubber

ahci_7286621.jpg

Old 4 July 2022, 05:02 AM   #1816
Bug04
"TRF" Member

I find the grey the best of the summer straps … waiting for the orange (if it is ever going to be made)!

Quote:
Grey Rubber
Old 4 July 2022, 09:27 AM   #1817
mikemargolis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug04 View Post
waiting for the orange (if it is ever going to be made)!
I asked yesterday about the orange, still no news...
mikemargolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2022, 10:22 PM   #1818
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Grey Rubber

Attachment 1302663
I may have to get that for my Secret Alloy.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2022, 11:26 AM   #1819
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

"From being a little-known independent just a couple of years ago, Czapek & Cie has grown at an astonishing rate, with CEO Xavier de Roquemaurel proving incredibly adept at knowing what his customers want, overseeing solid designs and stunning movements, but following last year’s incredible Antarctique Rattrapante with this year’s Antarctique Frozen Star S was too much of a good thing. The brand has been forced to close its Antarctique order books for 12 months and move into bigger premises to cope with demand."

https://hypebeast.com/2022/7/2022-wa...in-swatch-info

Old 12 July 2022, 01:17 AM   #1820
torjac
"TRF" Member

Watch: Czapek Antarctique
Czapek Antarctique and size

Once at a watch retailer, trying a new model, the seller asked med to stand up and walk to a mirror on the wall. Just like when I buy a new jacket. I was surprised, but understood what she was aiming at. I perceived the watch as too big for my wrist when sitting down, but when looking in the mirror it looked just right.

My wrist is 17cm and my Antarctique at 40,5. It is in my eyes a perfect fit (even when sitting down). The case design makes it a good fit on smaller wrists. I even tried the 42mm 15mm height Rattrapante on my arm, and thought it looked even better.

I see many reasons for Czapek to make a smaller model, but my wrist is not one of them.
torjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2022, 10:22 AM   #1821
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Hi Mike, will the new bracelet-case connectors be installed on every new Antarctique that is shipped out now, directly or through an AD?
AlyRba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2022, 09:22 PM   #1822
WatchSphinx
"TRF" Member

Just got the Antarctique Passage de Drake Ice White and been wearing it for the last couple days. Initial perspective is just amazing. Highlights for me:
- We all know the movement looks amazing and it is even better when in person
- This one has the latest bracelet quick adjust which is super easy to use and great in current weather in Japan (need the adjust at peak heat in the afternoon)
- Love the white rubber strap, creates a unique casual vibe
- The ice white dial is mesmerizing. Pictures don't do it justice but it just plays with the light in so many different ways (I tried to show this through a few pics here, sorry for low quality)

No complaints whatsoever at the moment, just really enjoying wearing it daily. I hope all of you waiting for one will get it in due time, it is such a joy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0204 SMALL.jpg (61.1 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0203 SMALL.jpg (63.5 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0200 SMALL.jpg (60.6 KB, 419 views)
WatchSphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2022, 10:22 PM   #1823
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats! Agree, she looks great on white rubber strap

Old 13 July 2022, 12:38 AM   #1824
mikemargolis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyRba View Post
Hi Mike, will the new bracelet-case connectors be installed on every new Antarctique that is shipped out now, directly or through an AD?
That depends on when the watch was ordered and at what price.

If the watch was ordered before the micro-adjuster became available, it was ordered at the old price which does not include the micro-adjust. In that case, you can add the micro-adjust for a small fee.

If the watch was ordered after the micro-adjust was added, then it's included.
Old 13 July 2022, 03:43 AM   #1825
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemargolis View Post
That depends on when the watch was ordered and at what price.

If the watch was ordered before the micro-adjuster became available, it was ordered at the old price which does not include the micro-adjust. In that case, you can add the micro-adjust for a small fee.

If the watch was ordered after the micro-adjust was added, then it's included.
Mike, my question was around the supposedly new connectors that will improve the connection between the bracelet and the watch case. I am assuming that has nothing to do with the timing of the order and the price. As the old connectors were not ideal and there was a little play at the bracelet-watch case connection point, the new improved connectors should be considered an upgrade and as such automatically installed by Czapek on every new watch.

A poster above mentioned that the sample watches at the Geneva boutique have got the new connectors. So I was wondering whether any order built and shipped after today will also have those new connectors.
AlyRba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2022, 04:15 AM   #1826
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchSphinx View Post
Just got the Antarctique Passage de Drake Ice White and been wearing it for the last couple days. Initial perspective is just amazing.
Congrats, you wear it well. I was torn between the white and glacier blue. Ultimately went blue, but The white is just on another level in person.
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2022, 05:19 AM   #1827
mikemargolis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyRba View Post
Mike, my question was around the supposedly new connectors that will improve the connection between the bracelet and the watch case. I am assuming that has nothing to do with the timing of the order and the price. As the old connectors were not ideal and there was a little play at the bracelet-watch case connection point, the new improved connectors should be considered an upgrade and as such automatically installed by Czapek on every new watch.

A poster above mentioned that the sample watches at the Geneva boutique have got the new connectors. So I was wondering whether any order built and shipped after today will also have those new connectors.
I have no info on that, let me ask.
Old 14 July 2022, 10:17 PM   #1828
mikemargolis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemargolis View Post
I have no info on that, let me ask.
So I got a bit of info back....

We have some prototype "berets" (the rotating part on the bracelet), which are better than the first generation, but still not as good as they could be.

We will be testing new ones after the summer holidays.

There will alway be a bit of play, as that helps make the bracelet comfortable on the wrist.

Once we settle on the perfect design, there will be retrofits to the existing owners.
Old 15 July 2022, 12:33 AM   #1829
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Interesting its become such a topic I honestly never noticed this when wearing my Czapek. Figured it's a small pay off for a quick release strap. Good on Czapek for their innovation though
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2022, 04:12 AM   #1830
Ducky Magoo
"TRF" Member

why not just copy the overseas quick release? IP reasons?
Ducky Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote