The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 July 2022, 06:43 PM   #61
PattayaHammerTime
"TRF" Member

I am in the market for a couple of watches as sold an expensive one recently, visited 2 main AD's in London, fair enough they want you to enquire in person and show your face but so predictable with the purchase history waffle and to be honest I just haven't got the time of patience to be sitting in their shop when they haven't got anything to sell, have no clue how long the waitlist is and pull a face as if you've farted in their mouth when you say zero purchase history through them!

One of them I did actually purchase through back in 2014, I took finance out through the AD on it and have since passed that watch onto my father which I told them.... they said to me if you want to go on a waitlist for an air king then show them the receipt! I played the game a bit and sent proof of the finance payments as I am not asking my Dad for the receipts I may have gave him along with the watch, was told not good enough to prove the purchase... they can whistle for my future business
PattayaHammerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 07:17 PM   #62
Filo25
"TRF" Member

It does put me off dealing with WoS and trying to play the whole Rolex AD game, not watches.

I know some have commented on here that it is often the fault of purchaser as much as AD, but I wonder what else the purchaser is meant to do. It seems now to be the case that the only way to be considered to buy a Rolex is to spend more on Rolex first, but there is no way to actually "qualify" to spend with Rolex.

It may differ market by market, but in London it still appears to be pretty much impossible.

I did actually have prior spend with Rolex at WoS (TT DJ31 in early 2020) was told at that time I would be able to get a Sub pretty easily, I registered, confirmed my interest etc, and was told things got tougher (which we all know they did) so I may need to wait a bit longer, but to be patient and it would happen.

I popped into another WoS in summer 2021 and thought I would just ask them what kind of waiting time I would likely be looking at for a Sub as I was keen to get one in time for a significant birthday in May 22 if at all possible, they looked in the system and found the other SA hadn't even registered an interest in the piece for me.

They strongly implied that the Sub wouldn't be attainable (no great surprise) so I put down for a DJ41 and they thought that probably would be achievable by May '22, fastforward to this year and my waitlist registration for that piece mysteriously disappeared, and it is now also allocation only.

Not sure what else you can do as a consumer in that instance but move on and accept that they really don't want your business.

I instead bought a Glasshutte SeaQ PanoDate and love it and as WoS confirmed they wouldn't offer a discount I got to purchase it from a much nicer dealer as well (its not as if the GO purchase would have helped my Rolex status with WoS anyway).

If I get offered a Rolex at some stage in the future that's nice but its not something I'm going to be politely chasing anymore, so I doubt it unless the market really collapses.
Filo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 07:31 PM   #63
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
No, ADs' inability to cope with an increased demand has no bearing on my passion for watches. We shouldn't take it personally, it's only business.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 07:46 PM   #64
domi1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060, BLRO...
depends which AD.
I have great experiences with some and terrible experiences with others.
domi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 07:54 PM   #65
swatty
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Hi Peter,

Last time I visited my local AD it was all ‘deals’.

Hope you are all well over there.
Thanks Eddie, all good although we are expecting another week of rain
Old 1 July 2022, 09:27 PM   #66
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I love watches and my AD.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 09:37 PM   #67
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Having to pay is always a problem for me. Hasn't stopped me yet however.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 09:52 PM   #68
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Definitely makes me dislike the AD experience.

Is there a little bleed over to my attitude toward the hobby as a whole?

If I were honest, probably a little bit. Still love watches. But it definitely not as fun anymore.
Old 1 July 2022, 09:53 PM   #69
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatty View Post
Thanks Eddie, all good although we are expecting another week of rain
Can you send us some of that rain? The corn needs it.
Old 1 July 2022, 11:43 PM   #70
RogerOP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanotaenia View Post
The current AD experience in Manhattan is pretty awful. I asked about a Milgauss and was given so much fluff about the "prestige of Rolex and the opportunity to buy one their magnificent timepieces should been as a previleage" which I ignore given I own several watches already.

The AD experience now seems even more awful when I think back to when I bought my previous watches and how nice and accommodating they were at that time.

I am mostly referring to Tourneau (now Bucherer or whatever). Watches of Switzerland is a joke.
Reminds me of when an AD sent me an email congratulating me on choosing a Rolex.

As for the OP: I don’t dislike Rolex no. But ADs, YouTubers and resellers get the bunt of my annoyance.

I didn’t even get the watch, it was literally to register my interest.
RogerOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 11:54 PM   #71
travisb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes..
No. My AD treats me great and always provides a top notch experience.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 11:57 PM   #72
wjv4200
"TRF" Member

I don’t have any issues with my ads, they text me when they have a watch they think I may be interested in, I purchase it if I desire otherwise I pass.
wjv4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 02:38 AM   #73
explodingtaco
"TRF" Member

I love my AD.

I’ve walked into a few I’m sure I would hate.
explodingtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 02:54 AM   #74
doublevanose82
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ 36mm
So far my AD has been great!!
doublevanose82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 03:31 AM   #75
norcalctr
"TRF" Member

I don't care for all the AD nonsense. If they were straight shooters and gave estimated timelines, then I could live with that. It's not really enjoyable to just go in to look at exhibition models and not have anything to buy. I feel like going into the AD is just going into a dream that there's something to buy, and then when you leave you're back to reality. This doesn't impact my interest for watches, but more on the buying experience.
norcalctr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 04:17 AM   #76
Beto737
"TRF" Member

Nope
Beto737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 05:39 AM   #77
skatamail
"TRF" Member

Curious what peoples' experience has been when walking into a Porsche dealership and inquiring about buying a 911 at MSRP?
skatamail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2022, 02:16 AM   #78
Beto737
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatamail View Post
Curious what peoples' experience has been when walking into a Porsche dealership and inquiring about buying a 911 at MSRP?
I tried playing that game. It didn’t go very well..
Beto737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2022, 05:12 AM   #79
blargle
Banned

indeed
blargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2022, 05:15 AM   #80
Brandband
Banned

Watch: Rolex Batman
Frustrating? Yes, but to dislike watches? That's so impossible.
Brandband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2022, 07:09 AM   #81
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Makes no difference for the watches, still a Rolex fanboi.

I now view ADs in a different light:
- Don't believe a single word they say. I'm quoted "6 months" on virtually every visit over the years.
- TRF posted story: AD sells to TRF users dad while poster was told "No watch for you" 15 minutes earlier
- TRF posted story: AD admits they milk customers for jewelry
- I'm now completely against Omega. It's been pushed by AD so hard I'll likely never, ever own one. (Laser-etched astronauts do nothing for me)
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2022, 07:11 AM   #82
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

My local AD is a nightmare and i won’t by any jewelry i need through then again. They absolutely suck.

The boutique i worn with across the country is awesome. I think it comes down to finding the right one, and working with only that AD. They are certainly not created equal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2022, 01:32 PM   #83
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
My local AD has been fantastic and I’ve enjoyed building friendships with the folks there. I’m frustrated at the watch market in general but my AD has kept my enthusiasm alive.

Although I don’t have the $100k+ spend history typically required to get access to hot watches, over the past year and a half they offered me (and I purchased) a Sub, BB Pro, and Daytona. Given the current market, I’m grateful for the consideration.

But honestly, even if they had not offered me anything I would still enjoy stopping in and talking about watches, life, etc. I realize not everyone is fortunate to have such top-notch folks working at their local AD. So I sympathize and understand it drives folks away from the hobby.
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2022, 05:33 PM   #84
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
If I was of the position that I would only buy from an AD no matter what, yes, it would ruin (or at least sour) the experience of watches for me because I probably would never have gotten the watch I wanted (not that I can blame the AD as they can make more money selling it to someone other than me.)

However, I have no issue buying from a secondary dealer, so the watch I wanted was readily available and I could afford it. Therefore, the inability to get it from an AD was more of a minor annoyance than anything else.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2022, 06:18 PM   #85
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
not at all.
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2022, 06:24 PM   #86
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Bought a few watches from my AD, mostly non Rolex, but had nothing for 2 and a half years. On the list for a skydweller and an OP 41. They phone me in March this year with a Zenith Chronomaster sport and a week later with a gold Tudor black bay. I politely decline and ask about the Rolexes, I had never asked to be on the list for the Tudor or the Zenith! I did say in conversation I thought they were cool watches. They politely tell me they have no Rolexes, they are part of the largest chain in the UK. I stop going in. They phoned me last week with an OP 41.
So maybe we should always be polite but giving an AD a hint that you will go elsewhere, when demand is decreasing, worked for me this year. I know a lot of them won’t give a monkeys but some will. If it all cools down, big if I know, it’s guys like us that get them their bonuses.

DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2022, 09:23 PM   #87
John Ryan
"TRF" Member

Watches, no!

Rolex, yes absolutely

I wanted a Rolex for 20+ years. I visited multiple ADs to acquire a DJ for commemorating two significant life milestones, but was left with negative experiences that I now associate with the brand.

I have explored other brands and have had a positive buying experience. Happy with how it worked out. Have purchased several watches in a similar price point since then and have many more planned.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2022, 09:30 PM   #88
PepsiBezel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Neo-Vintage
It actually makes me like watches and Rolex more.

I bought my first sport model in 2005, but this recent influx of interest has been sort of fun. I can’t get everything I want, but that’s fine — I enjoy all the interest.
PepsiBezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2022, 10:52 PM   #89
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ryan View Post
Watches, no!

Rolex, yes absolutely

I wanted a Rolex for 20+ years. I visited multiple ADs to acquire a DJ for commemorating two significant life milestones, but was left with negative experiences that I now associate with the brand.

I have explored other brands and have had a positive buying experience. Happy with how it worked out. Have purchased several watches in a similar price point since then and have many more planned.
Sounds like you waited too long.

Curious that a guy who dislikes Rolex is nonetheless reading, posting on and a member of the Rolex forum.

Sounds like maybe you’re not completely over the brand.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2022, 11:26 PM   #90
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
I agree. Most of what is considered poor service is actually entitlement on the part of the purchaser.

I agree. These same entitled people, that storm out of ADs because of their perceived bad attitudes, are the same people that argue with bank tellers, grocery baggers, and waitresses.