The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 July 2022, 03:31 AM   #1
JWillard
Banned

Register interest

How can i determine if my local AD actually took my register interest for a certain model watch? My local AD has change sales associates over the past few years several times. Any advice would be welcome.
JWillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 03:32 AM   #2
Rolex Dreaming
"TRF" Member

Mine usually updates everything in there ipad right in front of me
Rolex Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 03:53 AM   #3
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I text or visit occasionally to remind them.

The list is likely not a FIFO (First In First Out) or a queue. I'm guessing it is hierarchy something like this:
1) Greys (Millions per year) [First choice from each Rolex shipment]
2) "Good Customers" (Whales) (100k-1M spend) [Allocated whatever they want, subject only to Greys buying stock]
3) Flippers (Heavy spenders, no personal interest) [Will take what is left]
4) Regular people, enthusiasts, collectors [Given scraps or forced to buy until they reach status 2 or 3]
5) Casual shoppers

If you don't remind them you'll end up in bin [5]. Most people are in bin [4] and must fight to stay there. If you are fortunate enough to actually be allowed to buy something you may some day end up in bin [2] but will likely transition through bin [3] in order to fund your journey.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 04:45 AM   #4
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post

The list is likely not a FIFO (First In First Out) or a queue. I'm guessing it is hierarchy something like this:
2) "Good Customers" (Whales) (100k-1M spend) [Allocated whatever they want, subject only to Greys buying stock]
4) Regular people, enthusiasts, collectors [Given scraps or forced to buy until they reach status 2 or 3]
5) Casual shoppers

If you don't remind them you'll end up in bin [5]. Most people are in bin [4] and must fight to stay there. If you are fortunate enough to actually be allowed to buy something you may some day end up in bin [2] but will likely transition through bin [3] in order to fund your journey.
I don’t doubt your list, but my question is:

If most watches that come in to an AD are sold out the back door to a gray, presumably at a large mark-up, how do they handle the money? I assume payment is in cash, do they just pocket it? Does the manager get 100%? Do the SAs share the “tip?”

It MUST be sold for a markup, if they sold it at MSRP, then why not sell it to regular customers.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 04:51 AM   #5
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWillard View Post
How can i determine if my local AD actually took my register interest for a certain model watch? My local AD has change sales associates over the past few years several times. Any advice would be welcome.
Make an appointment, go into the shop, speak with them, ask where you stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
If most watches that come in to an AD are sold out the back door to a gray, presumably at a large mark-up, how do they handle the money?
I don't believe the AD tacks on additional mark up but can't speak for everyone. The greys I've spoken with buy large quantities of other brands, get big discounts, and that gives them whatever Rolex models they want at retail as part of the bulk deal.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 04:59 AM   #6
Agamemnon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex - Panerai
With patience I got what I wanted.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 02:57 PM   #7
Pandos
"TRF" Member

If you really want to "test" it, you could visit on a day that the previous SA you spoke to isn't in, chat to another one, and see if your details are registered.

As others said though, the list may or may not be meaningful (i.e. a proper queue) at the AD you've gone to, so even if you were on the list, it may not guarantee anything.
Pandos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 06:36 PM   #8
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Simple, at least here in California. Just go to https://www.rolex.com/en-us/interest-registry enter your name and password and go through drop downs to select state and then the AD name. Once there, you will see the list of watches for which you registered interest, date you registered interest, name of Rolex employee who entered your interest, place on the list (e.g. 24th) and projected date (caveated that it’s not guaranteed) of arrival.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 08:31 PM   #9
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I would go in and ask them.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 08:43 PM   #10
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I would go in and ask them.
Agree.
Old 2 July 2022, 10:44 PM   #11
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Plains View Post
Make an appointment, go into the shop, speak with them, ask where you stand.

I don't believe the AD tacks on additional mark up but can't speak for everyone. The greys I've spoken with buy large quantities of other brands, get big discounts, and that gives them whatever Rolex models they want at retail as part of the bulk deal.
Sounds plausible. My AD has a huge stock of Omegas that seemingly never move. I've never seen anyone browsing over there either. Scenario: "Here friendly Grey Dealer, I'll give you a BLNR and a Daytona if you buy 20 Omegas at the same time."
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2022, 02:02 AM   #12
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Plenty of folks getting a Rolex without any buying history.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2022, 03:01 AM   #13
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
Simple, at least here in California. Just go to https://www.rolex.com/en-us/interest-registry enter your name and password and go through drop downs to select state and then the AD name. Once there, you will see the list of watches for which you registered interest, date you registered interest, name of Rolex employee who entered your interest, place on the list (e.g. 24th) and projected date (caveated that it’s not guaranteed) of arrival.
I'm in CA, but when I click on that link I get "Page Not Available". I don't see anywhere you can sign up for an account? Does the AD have to set this up for you and grant you access?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PNA2.JPG (49.3 KB, 160 views)
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2022, 03:05 AM   #14
norcalctr
"TRF" Member

Definitely a valid question and concern, but how can you validate that others aren’t also cutting you in line on this virtual waitlist? I always have more questions than answers but that’s the world that we live in.
norcalctr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2022, 03:11 AM   #15
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:

5) Casual shoppers

Sure, sure. Maybe.

Nice try but nobody knows anything for sure about this...
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2022, 03:24 AM   #16
Oytun
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712,116500 & Rest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxtek View Post
I'm in CA, but when I click on that link I get "Page Not Available". I don't see anywhere you can sign up for an account? Does the AD have to set this up for you and grant you access?
He's just teasing :)
Oytun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2022, 03:42 AM   #17
ChrisLB1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:

5) Casual shoppers

I’m less sceptical, why would an AD risk losing their golden goose???? They get additional sales off the back of Rolex, sell them with £0 discount and that goes away if they’re caught - doesn’t make sense!
Whenever I’ve picked up a new watch, there are at least 3 people enquiring about purchasing in the hour I’m there, inevitably people will think it’s a rigged system when there isn’t the supply to match the demand
ChrisLB1 is offline   Reply With Quote