The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 28 April 2022, 03:20 AM   #1
ainterian
"TRF" Member

Received watch from RSC - should I return it or am I too picky?

I had my submariner recently serviced by Rolex and it came back with a tarnished lume plot (see pics). It was not there prior to the service. I requested for it to be sent back, and Rolex says it needs a new dial, which could take several months. Am I being too picky by insisting that it be rectified?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1417.jpg (173.2 KB, 612 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1416.jpg (140.1 KB, 609 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 12.18.50 PM.jpg (115.5 KB, 613 views)
ainterian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2022, 04:29 AM   #2
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I never use a loupe on a machine made watch and the “tarnish” would not bother me at all.
fsprow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2022, 05:30 AM   #3
ainterian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
I never use a loupe on a machine made watch and the “tarnish” would not bother me at all.
I would agree if it were only visible under a loupe, but in this case it is visible to the naked eye and jumps out at me whenever I look at it...
Old 28 April 2022, 06:31 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
You can insist on anything, but you will likely be paying for a new dial. Is it worth it to you.
Old 28 April 2022, 07:56 AM   #5
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
I’d happily wear it like it is, that’s what makes your particular watch unique and yours. If it bothers you that much then I guess you’re going to need to pony up for a new dial. I doubt you’re going to browbeat Rolex into replacing it for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2022, 07:58 AM   #6
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
It’s ruined. I’ll take it
ExplorerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2022, 10:57 AM   #7
daysky1
"TRF" Member

It's your choice. I just got a Skydweller, white dial and found a mark on the dial, could only see it under a 10x loupe, I tried to find it with the naked eye and I can''t see it. I figure it was put there upon assembly, and I am the only one who knows it is there and exactly where it is. It is my secret way of IDing that watch as mine. On the other hand, my AD received a no date Sub from Rolex brand new, found an speck of dust under the crystal and sent it back. When it came in, before the dust was found, he said he was thinking of calling me....hmmmmmm, what would I have done....if he had offered it to me with full transparency @ the speck of dust.... maybe
daysky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2022, 08:00 AM   #8
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
No, let them fix it.

On the total shot it’s obvious without any magnification.

Even in a auto repair shop, not always the cleanest job, they manage to keep my light colored seats spotless.
If a watchmaker can’t work on watch without messing up a dial he should look for another job. Worst part is that they sent it back to you like this.
Blatant disrespect for you as a customer
Old 30 April 2022, 05:02 AM   #9
ainterian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
No, let them fix it.

On the total shot it’s obvious without any magnification.

Even in a auto repair shop, not always the cleanest job, they manage to keep my light colored seats spotless.
If a watchmaker can’t work on watch without messing up a dial he should look for another job. Worst part is that they sent it back to you like this.
Blatant disrespect for you as a customer
That's the thing, I can see it whenever I check the time and my eye immediately goes to the 2 o'clock. I was honestly surprised it was returned like this because under a loupe it's painfully obvious. In addition to the dial issue, I received the watch covered in fingerprints and with misaligned hands (check the pic).

Rolex has offered to replace the dial at their expense, but it has to go back to the headquarters in Geneva and the whole dial replacement process could take several months. Oh well, I guess I'll have to 'wait for the call' to get my own watch back.
Old 30 April 2022, 06:12 AM   #10
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
I hate these stories. Take away half (at least) the pleasure of watch collecting.

OP think what is less stressful for you (seeing the "dirt" on the dial every time you look at your watch or dealing again with the same people that send you back your watch like this) and act accordingly.
PanosI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2022, 06:36 AM   #11
joli160

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainterian View Post
That's the thing, I can see it whenever I check the time and my eye immediately goes to the 2 o'clock. I was honestly surprised it was returned like this because under a loupe it's painfully obvious. In addition to the dial issue, I received the watch covered in fingerprints and with misaligned hands (check the pic).

Rolex has offered to replace the dial at their expense, but it has to go back to the headquarters in Geneva and the whole dial replacement process could take several months. Oh well, I guess I'll have to 'wait for the call' to get my own watch back.
That sounds a bit strange, it would be much easier to sent a dial only from Geneva to your RSC and let them change it once they received it.
I’m not the type to call for the manager but in your case I would try to contact a decision maker. As is stands they really treat you poorly.
At least in Geneva they should be able to fix it. Good luck
Old 30 April 2022, 07:40 AM   #12
ainterian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanosI View Post
I hate these stories. Take away half (at least) the pleasure of watch collecting.

OP think what is less stressful for you (seeing the "dirt" on the dial every time you look at your watch or dealing again with the same people that send you back your watch like this) and act accordingly.
Unfortunately, I have no way of procuring a new dial for a 14060M, much less a free one. So, I will wait. Maybe if they mess up again they'll pull an Apple and just give up and offer to replace it with a new no-date sub
Old 30 April 2022, 10:21 AM   #13
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
It wouldn't bother me in the slightest.
Old 1 May 2022, 02:43 AM   #14
dannyp
Banned

Quote:

Why not just get Rolex to agree to a dial swap, at its expense, the next time you send it in for any other service?

Seems like an all-around win:

Can wear it now, knowing it'll be replaced eventually; Rolex can simply add an additional part to your next service, rather than having to add another watch to its current queue just for a dial (and this guarantees that the next time you pay a lot of money for a service, it will be with Rolex).
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2022, 02:48 AM   #15
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
I would happily wear that as is. Life is too short to fixate on something like that, imo.
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2022, 12:32 PM   #16
ainterian
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the advice, all. The AD stood behind their work and the watch is off to headquarters for a new dial.
Old 1 May 2022, 01:29 PM   #17
Maharishi
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Coke
Glad you sent it back. The new dial will look really nice.
Maharishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2022, 05:02 PM   #18
joli160

Personally I always deal direct with the RSC and avoid AD’s for repairs.
You never know with an AD which plumber gets to work on your watch.
Old 1 May 2022, 05:22 PM   #19
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, all. The AD stood behind their work and the watch is off to headquarters for a new dial.
Looks like a nice 14060M 2-liner.
Did you check which new dial will be installed?
Hope you will have no bad surprises!
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2022, 05:24 PM   #20
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
^ This
Old 2 May 2022, 12:36 AM   #21
ainterian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You never know with an AD which plumber gets to work on your watch.
Really? I figured with RSC you wouldn't know which watchmaker worked on the watch. I had the watch serviced at an AD (with a Rolex service plaque) precisely because I could (and did) meet the watchmaker. AFAIK, the service plaque ADs have all the same equipment, procedures, etc., and the watch came back with a Rolex 2yr warranty card.
Old 2 May 2022, 12:40 AM   #22
ainterian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
Looks like a nice 14060M 2-liner.
Did you check which new dial will be installed?
Hope you will have no bad surprises!
Good eye! It's a Z serial 14060M. I was unaware there were multiple new dials available? Would they throw a 4-liner on there? I hope not!
Old 2 May 2022, 02:37 AM   #23
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Good eye! It's a Z serial 14060M. I was unaware there were multiple new dials available? Would they throw a 4-liner on there? I hope not!
They couldn't. Your watch wasn't subject to COSC testing, and Rolex would never put on a dial suggesting it had been.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2022, 02:44 AM   #24
joli160

Quote:
Really? I figured with RSC you wouldn't know which watchmaker worked on the watch. I had the watch serviced at an AD (with a Rolex service plaque) precisely because I could (and did) meet the watchmaker. AFAIK, the service plaque ADs have all the same equipment, procedures, etc., and the watch came back with a Rolex 2yr warranty card.
And a messed up dial

I had very bad experience with a Rolex AD watchmaker. Never again for me.
Thing is they get paid by an AD and don’t work for Rolex. Not convinced about adhering to their QC system or adhering to policies general.
Small companies are not good in this. Between watches they may repair cuckoo clocks for all i know. Too much quick profit driven imho. Obviously I am generalizing now.

The real RSC watchmakers are employed by Rolex whose sole task is to service Rolex watches. There is a hierarchy, not all can work on a SkyD i.e. Proper supervision and strict policies. I have more faith in Rolex than in any AD.

Just personal preference
Old 2 May 2022, 02:57 AM   #25
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Apart from optical preference, a 4-liner replacement dial is not correct for your 14060M since it has not the COSC movement installed.

There are also 2-liner dial variants, here is my K-series

Old 2 May 2022, 02:59 AM   #26
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
They couldn't. Your watch wasn't subject to COSC testing, and Rolex would never put on a dial suggesting it had been.
Sorry Danny, that's completely wrong, one example you find here:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=584209
Old 2 May 2022, 04:48 AM   #27
ainterian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Apart from optical preference, a 4-liner replacement dial is not correct for your 14060M since it has not the COSC movement installed.

There are also 2-liner dial variants, here is my K-series
Nice watch! As far as I know, all 14060Ms were fitted with the caliber 3130 movement. What's the difference between a COSC 3130 and a non-COSC 3130, other than having undergone the COSC tests?
Old 2 May 2022, 05:43 AM   #28
Harvie
Banned

Watch: Yes
I have done business with Ny Ny Rolex for over 50 year and up until 2020 Ms J Ruso would take care of anything. fast.

Now with the new service center in PA the center in NY, dal, SF they have all watches computer assigned to center with least work load AND SEND THE ARTICLE TO THAT LOCATION.

I always closely inspect a watch when it comes back and if anything is incorrect I will return it on Rolex dime with a follow up call "explaning" what was not done and what I expect them to correct OR call and ask for them to send parts to an AD for the repair. It has happend several time over the years

Now, call ask to speak to Jovita Garcia, (she works out of Dallas).

She has authority to CORRECT ANY "ah hum" . FAST.

(BTDT JUST RECENTLY FOR ME.)

(FILL IN BLANK SCREW UP, F UP, FOUL UP, FORGET TO REPLACE, DO SATISFACTORY etc)

NEVER LET ROLEX SLIDE ON EVEN THE SMALLEST DETAIL, UNLESS ROLEX GIVES YOU COMPENSATION, PERIOD
Harvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2022, 06:32 AM   #29
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nice watch! As far as I know, all 14060Ms were fitted with the caliber 3130 movement. What's the difference between a COSC 3130 and a non-COSC 3130, other than having undergone the COSC tests?
For the 14060M Rolex did not produce a new or 'special' 3130 movement for COSC acceptance tests and there is no difference in caliber specifications for a 3130 non-COSC or COSC movement.
Old 2 May 2022, 11:11 PM   #30
ainterian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For the 14060M Rolex did not produce a new or 'special' 3130 movement for COSC acceptance tests and there is no difference in caliber specifications for a 3130 non-COSC or COSC movement.
But yet, the early 14060M's were two-liner dials with no COSC marking, and the later 14060Ms were four-liner dials with COSC markings. Both had the same 3130 movement. I wonder if the two-liners were COSC certified, but just didn't have the markings...