The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 28 April 2022, 09:48 PM   #1
Harley Limited
"TRF" Member

Rolex Cellini Repair

My Cellini, after a trip to the ER and XRays and other stuff, appears to have been magnetized or might be a coincidence but it stops running. I rewind it and it goes for a while and stops again. So what is the recommended course of action, take back to dealer where I bought it, or send it in to Rolex somewhere near Maryland? What are my options?
Harley Limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2022, 11:23 AM   #2
KathleenL
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 279171-0001
Sorry to hear you had to go to the ER. Hope everything is OK.

Per Hodinkee, you can buy and inexpensive device to demagnetize a watch: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ho...ize-your-watch
KathleenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2022, 02:26 AM   #3
Harley Limited
"TRF" Member

thanks, I will look into getting one.
Old 11 May 2022, 01:37 AM   #4
Harley Limited
"TRF" Member

I decided to send my Rolex into a RSC, so I went back to the place where I bought it, and they said they could handle the whole process. They said they would charge me to package it and send it into the NY Service Center. They told me to expect about 6-8 months to process it, but what they said next is my concern. They said Rolex would deal directly with them and not me. So my question is, do the authorized dealers get a piece of the action when the repair estimate comes into them?? Just curious.
Old 11 May 2022, 01:39 AM   #5
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Not really. Think of the AD as the underwriter and Rolex as the insurance company.

6-8 months sounds excessive though.
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 08:06 AM   #6
Harley Limited
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herts9 View Post
Not really. Think of the AD as the underwriter and Rolex as the insurance company.

6-8 months sounds excessive though.
I hope you are correct,
Old 11 May 2022, 08:51 AM   #7
KathleenL
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 279171-0001
If your only concern is that you think it has been magnetized, and you've been told that sending the watch to an RSC will mean the watch will be out of your hands for six to eight months, why not first try demagnetizing it yourself with a device you can buy?
KathleenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2022, 10:15 PM   #8
Harley Limited
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenL View Post
If your only concern is that you think it has been magnetized, and you've been told that sending the watch to an RSC will mean the watch will be out of your hands for six to eight months, why not first try demagnetizing it yourself with a device you can buy?
It's complicated. So now the rest of the story. I hurt my hand, so went to ER to have it looked at. The next day, my watch stopped running. I thought that somehow in the ER with X-rays being taken and other instruments around me, my watch had been magnetized. Theory number 2 was when I realized that I didn't have enough strength to wind watch because my hand hurt so bad, or I wasn't sure if I was able to really wind watch, so maybe it was me that caused it to stop working. Got hand fixed, and wound watch and wound watch but it never seemed to get wound up, so then theory 3 was maybe the watch spring broke. So I took it to the place where I bought it and sent it in, I think the spring is broken. I will find out.
Old 11 May 2022, 11:19 PM   #9
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Limited View Post
I decided to send my Rolex into a RSC, so I went back to the place where I bought it, and they said they could handle the whole process. They said they would charge me to package it and send it into the NY Service Center. They told me to expect about 6-8 months to process it, but what they said next is my concern. They said Rolex would deal directly with them and not me. So my question is, do the authorized dealers get a piece of the action when the repair estimate comes into them?? Just curious.
Some do, some don’t, in my country they all add charges and some even refuse because they want to service it themselves. This few hundred extra doesn’t bother me.
Via an AD is never cost effective for you.

I never go the AD route;
It will add delays, AD’s don’t ship watches daily and indeed the worst is that you are not the customer of the RSC and they will not communicate with you.
You will have to depend on how good the AD communicates your wishes to the RSC.
Make sure you get the estimate from the RSC on which you can opt for recommended repairs. If the AD is sneaky he will not provide you with this quotation.
Old 13 May 2022, 09:16 PM   #10
Harley Limited
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Some do, some don’t, in my country they all add charges and some even refuse because they want to service it themselves. This few hundred extra doesn’t bother me.
Via an AD is never cost effective for you.

I never go the AD route;
It will add delays, AD’s don’t ship watches daily and indeed the worst is that you are not the customer of the RSC and they will not communicate with you.
You will have to depend on how good the AD communicates your wishes to the RSC.
Make sure you get the estimate from the RSC on which you can opt for recommended repairs. If the AD is sneaky he will not provide you with this quotation.
Good point. My watch was sent into the RSC with the original leather water stained watch band. The AD indicated that the repair cost estimate will probably include a new leather wrist band. If it does have the new wrist band, I am on the fence whether to get a new one or just use my NATO strap that I have been using. I will ask to see the estimate.