The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 4 May 2022, 08:27 AM   #1
john316
"TRF" Member

submariner crown & stem question

I had my jeweler send my submariner out to fix stem and crown as it lost resistance and would just free spin in all settings, I don't know if they repaired it or replaced it but 2 years later the same thing happened again.
I mentioned to my jeweler I thought it odd that it would go out again so soon considering that I literally only even unscrew the crown twice a year to adjust for daylight savings time change. anyway, I had him send it out again and he only charged me his cost.

But now, exactly another 2 years later it has gone out again and I just find it hard to believe that this type of repair job, at $600 a pop, should wear out so easily.

At this rate it's literally costing me $150 each time I reset my watch

Any advice this forum might have to offer me here would be sincerely appreciated.

Regards,
Steven
john316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 10:08 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
It doesn't likely have anything to do with the crown and stem, except that this is the part you physically turn.

The stem enters the movement, but it is the pinions and gears in the movement that need to move into place, or the stem will simply rotate and actuate nothing.

Typically, these parts don't slide because of lack of lubrication.

Here is an illustration from Time Zone that shows some of the things that need to engage/disengage as the stem is pulled to it's different positions.

Often you can pull the crown in and out a few times to help free their movement up.

stem and works.jpg
Old 4 May 2022, 11:27 AM   #3
john316
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
It doesn't likely have anything to do with the crown and stem, except that this is the part you physically turn.

The stem enters the movement, but it is the pinions and gears in the movement that need to move into place, or the stem will simply rotate and actuate nothing.

Often you can pull the crown in and out a few times to help free their movement up.

Attachment 1289667
thank you sincerely for the quick response and the illustration.. that all makes perfect sense.

I seem to recall at least 2 of the occasions I pulled the crown out to the time set position and after cycling around a couple times I felt a quick bit of resistance and then like a little click, after which the stem did as you mentioned, just rotated and actuated nothing in either direction or any position.

So it still begs the question for me, what is it they are doing, (or not doing) each time for $600-700 that is only serving as a temporary fix?
could it be something that simply can't be more permanently fixed and I'm just going to have to live with it, or should I try to find a different Rolex repair service?
john316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2022, 03:45 AM   #4
Isochronous
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john316 View Post
should I try to find a different Rolex repair service?
That's what I would do. Perhaps you should work the keyless system more than twice a year.

For $600 you should get a complete service not a sloppy fix.
Isochronous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 07:31 PM   #5
Luisrm02
"TRF" Member

I agree with the other replies that you should find someone else to service your watch. My guess is one of the levers or the spring on the cover plate is slightly out of tolerance (maybe bent a bit from a hard pull or something) and when you pull the crown they pop off the pins that hold them in place. If the levers float a bit when you engage the crown the levers won’t move as needed to engage the various gears.

I had this happen with an ETA and I pulled it apart and popped all the levers back in place and made sure everything engaged as it should. It would work a few times then pop back out again. It’s been years but I recall either the spring or one of the levers was slightly bent. I unscientifically bent everything to where it “looked right” and it corrected my issue. Now mind you this was on an inexpensive piece that I didn’t really care about so it was more a fun learning thing for me. But the idea is a competent service center will replace what needs to be replaced and that shouldn’t reoccur. I would assume this is not a common issue on a Rolex.
Luisrm02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 03:02 AM   #6
Alexjb007
"TRF" Member

La falta de grasa en el cañón de minutos hace que se agarrote el cañón y rompan los dientes de las ruedas de trasmision, si cuando lo revisan no lo engrasan bien se seca y se agarrota.
Alexjb007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 05:00 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
If you push and pull the stem in and out a few times it will often spread some lubricant to dry areas and work as normal.