The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 19 June 2022, 08:49 AM   #1
Travelair007
"TRF" Member

Classic Cars

Hello fellow TRFers! I’m considering purchasing my first classic car. Most likely an Austin Healey 3000 MKI and/or Mercedes 190 SL. I’m curious about ownership, storage, do you find yourself using your classic car or does it become a garage queen? I love these cars but I do worry that they are highly impractical to own. I live approximately 20 minutes from Wine country (not Napa) and imagine I could drive these older cars to go taste some wine. Do you find older cars to be more susceptible to overheating in 95 to 105° heat?

Would love to read any of your experiences and stories of owning classic or collectible cars!
Travelair007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2022, 09:30 AM   #2
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Not sure if a 1985 Ferrari 308 counts, yet she was great fun on the street and race track. Fun to drive, people loved seeing and HEARING her go. Changed out the radiator for modern cooling and she never overheated on track. Vintage cars are great, fun to turn wrenches on too

Drive it like you stole it
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2022, 09:32 AM   #3
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
The problem with classic cars is imagining owning one. I had a classic car and did a light restoration. What I thought would be romantic experience didn’t turn out so. It was expensive and driving a classic takes patience like no power steering and AC… creature features. That lovely smell of gas and exhaust fumes to remind you why modern exhaust systems actually work. It’s romantic alright. The two happiest days owning that car was the day I bought it and the day I sold it! If you’re going to do it, forget the dreamy wine tasting and the story you’ve created in your mind, and exchange that for reality and dedication of owning one including the most important adjective: passion.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2022, 09:57 AM   #4
7sins
"TRF" Member

I own a 1959 190sl, love mine aesthetically. For a car with not many moving parts or electronics, there is always something breaking or falling apart. Not having powering steering and or abs makes it difficult to drive if you live in a city with heavy traffic. Even after adding a bigger radiator fan, the car is always overheating if it is too hot. I only take it out if it is below 75* outside. All of that being said, it is one of my favorite cars I have ever owned. There is something nostalgic that will always bring a smile to your face, even if it takes 10 minutes to get from 0 to 60. I live in a city overwhelmed with exotic and hypercars, I never see classics here in LA, maybe a handful of 190sl/300sl's in the 8 years I have been here. There is nothing quite like it, even through all the annoying intricacies, it will always have a home in my garage until I can find a 300sl to replace it with. Remember to find a car with matching numbers and to have it THOROUGHLY inspected for rust.

Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2022, 10:04 AM   #5
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
I Have a few. I Dont like to about my collection but I have approx 15 of them on trickle chargers. Also have cameras in the storage area I rent a shop to keep them all in. Try to drive them 5-20 miles every 90 days. Dont forget to add sta-bil to the fuel. Use car covers if possible. Go with the 190SL.
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2022, 11:21 AM   #6
Stud Screw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233
I drove a 1966 VW Beetle while living in San Diego in the 1990's. It was the most fun car I ever owned. The perfect beach vehicle. You really had to work to get to where you wanted to go.

“Better to have thunk wrong than not thunk at all.”
Stud Screw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2022, 11:42 AM   #7
Travelair007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Not sure if a 1985 Ferrari 308 counts, yet she was great fun on the street and race track. Fun to drive, people loved seeing and HEARING her go. Changed out the radiator for modern cooling and she never overheated on track. Vintage cars are great, fun to turn wrenches on too

Drive it like you stole it
I drive every car like I stole it… Unless my wife is in the car with me, then I drive like a 92-year-old grandma and obey all traffic rules and speed limits.
Ferrari 308 GTS is absolutely one of my favorite cars, one day I’ll pick one out, may even decide to buy the shorts and grow a mustache as a tribute to Magnum PI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
The problem with classic cars is imagining owning one. I had a classic car and did a light restoration. What I thought would be romantic experience didn’t turn out so. It was expensive and driving a classic takes patience like no power steering and AC… creature features. That lovely smell of gas and exhaust fumes to remind you why modern exhaust systems actually work. It’s romantic alright. The two happiest days owning that car was the day I bought it and the day I sold it! If you’re going to do it, forget the dreamy wine tasting and the story you’ve created in your mind, and exchange that for reality and dedication of owning one including the most important adjective: passion.
I’m also a Pilot, and I love flying older plane. One of my last algia is always resurrected when I smell all jet fuel. I imagine that same feeling comes out of only an older car… you are right though, there’s definitely the dream of the hair flowing in the wind while driving to Wine country, reality is most likely different, hahah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
I own a 1959 190sl, love mine aesthetically. For a car with not many moving parts or electronics, there is always something breaking or falling apart. Not having powering steering and or abs makes it difficult to drive if you live in a city with heavy traffic. Even after adding a bigger radiator fan, the car is always overheating if it is too hot. I only take it out if it is below 75* outside. All of that being said, it is one of my favorite cars I have ever owned. There is something nostalgic that will always bring a smile to your face, even if it takes 10 minutes to get from 0 to 60. I live in a city overwhelmed with exotic and hypercars, I never see classics here in LA, maybe a handful of 190sl/300sl's in the 8 years I have been here. There is nothing quite like it, even through all the annoying intricacies, it will always have a home in my garage until I can find a 300sl to replace it with. Remember to find a car with matching numbers and to have it THOROUGHLY inspected for rust.

Wow… she is stunning! That car is the ultimate beauty of craftsmanship and design! I’ll probably get crucified for this but the 190 SL is more beautiful than the 300 SL… there i said it…!!!
I’m in the Temecula region and I do get to see a lot of classic cars out here, but it sure gets hot in the summer, especially where I live, temperatures can reach 110.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
I Have a few. I Dont like to about my collection but I have approx 15 of them on trickle chargers. Also have cameras in the storage area I rent a shop to keep them all in. Try to drive them 5-20 miles every 90 days. Dont forget to add sta-bil to the fuel. Use car covers if possible. Go with the 190SL.
Thank you for the enabling! The 190 is such a beautiful car although I love the history of the Austin Hailey and Le Mans….!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Screw View Post
I drove a 1966 VW Beetle while living in San Diego in the 1990's. It was the most fun car I ever owned. The perfect beach vehicle. You really had to work to get to where you wanted to go.

My buddy has a late 60s model VW I love that car. We drive it around SD quite a bit… Lovely vehicle!
Travelair007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2022, 12:53 PM   #8
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Absolutely love vintage vehicles - have 10+ myself. Drive them as often as I can, makes modern motoring feel absolutely sterile and appliance-like by comparison.

They're great fun to own, even more fun to maintain, and all harken back to a time period of lovely design that often can't be duplicated with today's crumple zone requirements etc.

Spend a lot of time in Temecula, you'll be in great company with all the fun classics up that way!
Old 19 June 2022, 02:40 PM   #9
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
I have too many, a lot just don't get driven, however the market has gone crazy the last few years so I sell every now and then to fill the pockets.

Over heating is an issue generally, you don't want to be driving hard on a 100f day.

It is good to be handy and attend to the constant little things.

190SL would be my choice there, an era where German engineering was way superior to the AH.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2022, 08:35 PM   #10
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelair007 View Post
Hello fellow TRFers! I’m considering purchasing my first classic car. Most likely an Austin Healey 3000 MKI and/or Mercedes 190 SL. I’m curious about ownership, storage, do you find yourself using your classic car or does it become a garage queen? I love these cars but I do worry that they are highly impractical to own. I live approximately 20 minutes from Wine country (not Napa) and imagine I could drive these older cars to go taste some wine. Do you find older cars to be more susceptible to overheating in 95 to 105° heat?

Would love to read any of your experiences and stories of owning classic or collectible cars!

Own, owned, restored, and built many through the years. The trap that catches most individuals is the “I want a driver” syndrome. They buy a perfectly restored car, and then afraid to drive it, or it is a maintenance nightmare. IF You want a “driver”, buy “DRIVER” ! A perfectly restored classic that’s been sitting in a garage for ten years is NOT a “driver”, nor will it ever unless a tremendous amount of time and money is spent to convert it to such. With modern multi-core radiators, auxiliary pumps, etc, overheating is nothing more than an old school learned fallacy. I’ve driven a ‘49 Plymouth with a properly modified flathead 6 on 2,000 mile trips in summer with zero issues.

) Find a car that has been driven, maintained, and modified for such properly. IF you buy a garage queen, it will remain such.
) Be realistic evaluating your capabilities, assembling a gas grill does give one the abilities to evaluate/maintain a vintage car.
) Pending the mentioned above, find a REPUTABLE professional to find exactly what you want.
) A properly sorted “driver” should already be updated/modified to prevent any overheating issues. Many vintage cars participate in multi-thousand mile rallies, they do NOT overheat.
) I would suggest the 190SL, vintage British is whole different world when “driver” enters the conversation !

I could write pages, but the above should get you pointed in the right direction.
Old 19 June 2022, 09:07 PM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
We need some pictures of your garage Danny
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2022, 09:41 PM   #12
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have been down the rabbit hole of vintage cars and found the ownership aspects of maintance, parts location, techs to work on the car and the general frustration to me of having to pay attention to all of the aspects of maintaining a car to be daunting. I know for some that is the fun but I am a driver and enjoy long hours behind the wheel and being mostly worry free. I still appreciate the great looks and design of a lot of classics but like a lot of other things time has moved on and more modern cars work better for me. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2022, 12:06 AM   #13
Lonehiker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I think classic cars are gorgeous to look at, but rather tiresome to own. The reality rarely matches the romantic image!

I had 3 experiences many years ago (MGB, MG Magnette, Austin Healey) all of which were a pain. If you’re mechanically minded, love tinkering, or don’t mind very regular trips to the garage, go for it! But, my experiences with poor brakes, heavy steering, heavy/ grating cliches and leaky roofs put me off for life. And, be careful with any that need double de-clutching to change gears!

Having said that, modern cars do nothing for me aesthetically … so I fully understand your thinking.
Lonehiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2022, 12:38 AM   #14
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
) Find a car that has been driven, maintained, and modified for such properly.

) Be realistic evaluating your capabilities, assembling a gas grill does give one the abilities to evaluate/maintain a vintage car.

) Pending the mentioned above, find a REPUTABLE professional to find exactly what you want.
Or have lottsa fun and learn to turn wrenches yourself / with KNOWLEDGEABLE friends who help.

Quote:
) A properly sorted “driver” should already be updated/modified to prevent any overheating issues. Many vintage cars participate in multi-thousand mile rallies, they do NOT overheat.
YES!!! 100 times yes!

Also, the vintage brake system might need to be sorted as well, as is the fuel / ignition system, so check those very carefully too.

Quote:
I could write pages, but the above should get you pointed in the right direction.
Great stuff, thanks for posting!

If i may add, whatever cost someone might think it'll be to 'upgrade/maintain', double it as the real 'starting point'. And for goodness sakes, drive it like you stole it.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 20 June 2022, 05:02 AM   #15
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
I tend to be drawn mostly to the fat-fendered American classics from before 1960. Trucks mostly. Man, I love them. They're beautiful to look at but rough and slow and not that much fun to drive in stock form on modern roads no matter how much you tell yourself otherwise. Even if you're content to drive slowly the transmission is loud and the steering is loose. The truck looks great once you arrive at the ice cream shop but honestly it probably wasn't actually as fun getting there as hoped once the adrenaline passed. At least that was my experience with my '46 Chevy pickup.
BUT we love what we love and I'll surely have another. The '67 Chevelle I had later was so much better, modern even, but I never really feel in love with it as much as I should have (wanted to). The old trucks have my heart in a vice and I love them for the same reasons that I hate them. It's complicated.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2022, 08:55 AM   #16
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
I drive every car like I stole it… Unless my wife is in the car with me, then I drive like a 92-year-old grandma and obey all traffic rules and speed limits.
Ferrari 308 GTS is absolutely one of my favorite cars, one day I’ll pick one out, may even decide to buy the shorts and grow a mustache as a tribute to Magnum PI!

I’m also a Pilot, and I love flying older plane. One of my last algia is always resurrected when I smell all jet fuel. I imagine that same feeling comes out of only an older car… you are right though, there’s definitely the dream of the hair flowing in the wind while driving to Wine country, reality is most likely different, hahah

Wow… she is stunning! That car is the ultimate beauty of craftsmanship and design! I’ll probably get crucified for this but the 190 SL is more beautiful than the 300 SL… there i said it…!!!
I’m in the Temecula region and I do get to see a lot of classic cars out here, but it sure gets hot in the summer, especially where I live, temperatures can reach 110.

Thank you for the enabling! The 190 is such a beautiful car although I love the history of the Austin Hailey and Le Mans….!!

My buddy has a late 60s model VW I love that car. We drive it around SD quite a bit… Lovely vehicle!

I say go for it and if it’s something that doesn’t work out long term you at least get it out of your system. You also have your eye on one absolutely beautiful Mercedes. My dad has collected classic Mercedes-Benz vehicles for as long as I can remember and he’s absolutely passionate about each and every one of them. Especially the hand built models, they’re beautifully engineered masterpieces much like a Swiss watch. They just come with a certain level of tolerance which it sounds like you have. He may curse a lot when he’s tinkering with them, but that’s all part of the experience. Can’t wait to learn or hear what you end up deciding. PS, jet fuel smells amazing.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2022, 09:13 AM   #17
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post

Wow, that's a beauty. I don't think I'd love driving it more than the first time, but it sure is beautiful. You definitely either need to be mechanically inclined, or have deep pockets and a good mechanic.
Old 21 June 2022, 07:22 AM   #18
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Just got done waxing my 1969 Lincoln MK III !!!
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 01:58 PM   #19
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet

Flushed the cooling system and cruised all afternoon.
Old 29 June 2022, 05:58 PM   #20
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
I have a few classic Benz’s, and worked on them professionally for over 30 years. So many times I’ve seen people get the itch to own one and then don’t drive them. A 190SL is a great looking car and the only place it feels at home is on a back country road cruising, where most people around here only drive them on short drives in the city.
Make sure your comfortable with the way it drives before you even thing of buying one. It’s so different to the modern cars we are used too.

Later this year I’m participating in a Classic car rallly from Perth to Sydney, over 5000 kms in a 1959 300d , you have to use them
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 06:04 PM   #21
Andad

Watch: A few.
3000 Healey without a doubt.

A true English classic.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 06:06 PM   #22
HuguenotSW1
Banned

Amazing classic Mercedes
HuguenotSW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 07:27 PM   #23
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Does my 95 Vette count?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 07:32 PM   #24
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Does my 95 Vette count?
Absolutely Paul.

But I am sure it’s not for sale?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 07:57 PM   #25
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Absolutely Paul.

But I am sure it’s not for sale?
I think the steering wheel is on the wrong side for you Eddie
Old 29 June 2022, 07:59 PM   #26
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Oh, as long as we are on the subject, how do you guys with classic gars deal with unleaded gas? I mean, they introduced leaded gas to help the valve seats (from what I know) many many years ago. Then, in the 70s unleaded gas takes over.

With classic engines, what do you have to do to run on unleaded fuel?
Old 29 June 2022, 10:03 PM   #27
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
This!

When my father died, he left me a fully restored 1949 DeSoto, which was his first family car. I drove it a lot at first, but eventually it sat in storage. It handled like an aircraft carrier and took as long to come to a stop. A car in storage is a waste, so I sold it to a collector and DeSoto club member in the Bronx who enjoys it every weekend. I don’t regret selling it.

On the other hand, I regret selling my 1949 closed-bow wooden boat every single day.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 10:42 PM   #28
77T

Quote:
Do you find older cars to be more susceptible to overheating in 95 to 105° heat?

Hi there - my input is from ownership decades ago (in owning what we now call classics). I learned that overheating is more often a case of our own driving pattern.

Lived in Miami for my first 25 years and had no trouble around town in Summer heat. But on long trips in congested traffic (like driving to Key West on a weekend) a then new 1967 Camaro would overheat due to no electric fans, thermostat sensors, organic oil, and less efficient coolants.

Earlier than the ‘60’s, cars were designed for a time when traffic was routinely moving above 30mph with less stop-and-go idling than modern congested traffic patterns.

So if you do an upgrade of the key cooling components (while saving the old parts for returning your car to original spec) then you’ll be OK. But purists will filet you like a fish if you ever let them pop the hood for a peek…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2022, 12:47 AM   #29
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
With classic engines, what do you have to do to run on unleaded fuel?
When racing F2000, usedta go to the local smaller airport and get all the 101 LL for the racecar i desired. Not sure if the vintage guys do too, but the old 'Pinto' race engine loved 101 LL

Old 30 June 2022, 01:02 AM   #30
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Does my 95 Vette count?
It does if you post a picture Paul
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote