The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 June 2022, 11:02 PM   #1
Peter99
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN & 214270
'ard times!

I am somewhat mystified.
I have for the last 20 years or so belonged to a local gym which is rated as about the best around having not only the gym but indoor and outdoor pools, childrens sports club, outdoor hot tub, spa, steam room, sauna, cafe clubroom, tennis courts, badminton courts, hairdresser, racket courts, huge car park etc etc.
You name it, it has it. It is not cheap, never has been, but you get what you pay for.
But since covid the gym has never ever, been so busy, full car park, full cafe, having to wait for the free weights/machines etc etc.
When the sun shines the outdoor pools (3) are like Brighton beach on a bank holiday!
How can this be? They cannot all be Work From Homers. Even the gym staff are mystified, yet it is supposed to be 'ard times!
Currently UK Inflation rate is about 10%, Bank interest rate 1.5%, Unemployment rate 3.7%.
Folk must have money in their pockets!
Peter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2022, 11:40 PM   #2
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Bubbles are usually about to burst when the above scenarios happen.
Old 26 June 2022, 12:00 AM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Hopefully they all stick to it! Gyms are a fickle thing here. Many who join don’t have the stickytoitness to keep going on a regular basis
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2022, 12:35 AM   #4
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Lots of people going to the gym and taking care of themselves? Sounds like a good thing.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2022, 09:53 PM   #5
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Aren't the folks who can afford to live in London typically more economically better off than most?

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2022, 10:51 PM   #6
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter99 View Post
I am somewhat mystified.
I have for the last 20 years or so belonged to a local gym which is rated as about the best around having not only the gym but indoor and outdoor pools, childrens sports club, outdoor hot tub, spa, steam room, sauna, cafe clubroom, tennis courts, badminton courts, hairdresser, racket courts, huge car park etc etc.
You name it, it has it. It is not cheap, never has been, but you get what you pay for.
But since covid the gym has never ever, been so busy, full car park, full cafe, having to wait for the free weights/machines etc etc.
When the sun shines the outdoor pools (3) are like Brighton beach on a bank holiday!
How can this be? They cannot all be Work From Homers. Even the gym staff are mystified, yet it is supposed to be 'ard times!
Currently UK Inflation rate is about 10%, Bank interest rate 1.5%, Unemployment rate 3.7%.
That’s how gyms work. Tons of members but very few who actually show up. They’d all go under in a week if it was only their everyday clients paying membership.

Plus it sounds more like a county club then a gym so just having the membership was probably enough for some people. Now, after COVID, people are trying to get back in shape and are tired of being stuck in their homes. They are probably not traveling as much either so they’re staying local and taking advantage of what they’ve been paying for all along.

And I’m sure there are new members joining too to get back in shape and enjoy the opportunity to get their pump on and their hair done at the same location.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 04:25 AM   #7
Peter99
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN & 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-710 View Post
That’s how gyms work. Tons of members but very few who actually show up. They’d all go under in a week if it was only their everyday clients paying membership.

Plus it sounds more like a county club then a gym so just having the membership was probably enough for some people. Now, after COVID, people are trying to get back in shape and are tired of being stuck in their homes. They are probably not traveling as much either so they’re staying local and taking advantage of what they’ve been paying for all along.

And I’m sure there are new members joining too to get back in shape and enjoy the opportunity to get their pump on and their hair done at the same location.
I quite agree with what you say. Covid has no doubt changed the way we live and will take a time, a long time to get back where we were, if ever!
You are also quite right in suggesting the gym is more of a club.
Because, 20 years or more when the gym first opened and enquiring of membership I was shown around the gym by a Gym Superviser and when we got to the free weights area I noticed there was no barbels only dumbels and I said to the Superviser where are the barbels and the reply was: 'we are not that type of gym'! Also, the cafe was infact a restaurant serving 3/4 course meals with wine and dinner jacket 'do's'!
Yes, it was an adults club, even childen not welcome but I joined as it was local and rather nice with carpets everywhere even in the locker room with TV, free towels etc etc but since it has changed ownership and is different altogether.
Children very welcome, no carpets, no TV's, no dinner jackets, no 3/4 course meals, a cafe now no restaurant, no waiter service, but the crowds roll in with the happy smiling faces of the children! And free towels are still available!
Times change!
Peter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 04:36 AM   #8
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

People spending their money on their health vs trinkets? Sounds like wise spending.
Bstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2022, 02:47 PM   #9
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter99 View Post
I am somewhat mystified.
I believe everyone was impacted in some way by the 'disruption' of C19. It seems as though many reevaluated personal priorities. Things like location, work environment and flexibility, family, health, finances, etc. all come to mind. Perhaps the change is merely due to a shift in priorities.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote