The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 30 June 2022, 04:52 PM   #1
DD40
Banned

Watch: 116506
Solo Travel in USA - any ideas?

Hi! Hope somone can help me...

I'm going Solo Travel in a week or two to USA (Spontaneous trip).
I've always been VERY interested in USA, both the nature and the cities. Like many other kids in Europe, i grew up by watching American series Friends, Seinfeld etc. and a lot of American movies ofc. - and I've always wanted to see the "scenes" for myself.
It's not really like i want to go to USA to see Grand Canyon or something - i actually just want to go to USA to see.... USA. The real USA. (I know it's probably a Cliché).

I have about 7-10 days - I'm able to fly to almost any big city/state. I can rent a car.

Let me know if anyone has an idea on what to do / a route to visit / some guideline of some sort :-)

Been to USA one time - visited Florida, stayed 3 days in Miami. It was great. But i want to visit something else now.

Thanks in advance!
DD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2022, 04:59 PM   #2
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Chicago.
Old 30 June 2022, 05:04 PM   #3
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
If you've only got a week and want to try and experience the "Friends" and "Seinfeld" side of America, I recommend you stay in New York City. There is plenty to keep you occupied for that time.
Old 30 June 2022, 05:23 PM   #4
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
"Real US" depends on who you ask. In terms of land, most US is rural. However, US is a cultural hotbed, and metropolitan cities are absolutely worth a visit.

Can you add more insights into what you'd like to see/experience?
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2022, 05:33 PM   #5
DD40
Banned

Thanks for the tips so far! They've been great!

So far I'm thinking of:

Chicago, San Fransisco - or going to Boston, Taking a train to NY and then Philadelphia - something like that.

But someone also mentioned Nashville, to see some more Cowboy USA :-P

What i want to do, is really just to see some famous sites and scenes from USA, take a subway, eat at a food truck, visit a diner, go to a classic American Bar... actually i think i just want it all - i don't think i really can get disappointed - but if someone knows a great trip to do, let me know!

Thanks for all your advice!
Old 30 June 2022, 05:35 PM   #6
slimboy1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: Two Tone Daytona
I traveled America in my early 20’s and my route was, new york - niagra - Orlando- Miami- key west - New Orleans - vegas- San Francisco- Los Angeles. I absolutely loved it it was my 1st taste of America as my parents wouldn’t fly that length when I was younger and like you it was from tv programmes that made me desperate to go the steam coming out the sidewalks was huge for me in New York, I traveled with a friend and we stayed in hostels apart from vegas where we had enough money for a hotel for a few nights, I can honestly say this was probably one of the happiest memories of my lifetime so far apart from family etc, what I would say is the places I regret not taking in are Chicago and San Diego, but whatever way you decide to go you will absolutely love it, I love the people and the way of life would stay in America if the chance ever arose.
slimboy1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2022, 05:37 PM   #7
DD40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimboy1974 View Post
I traveled America in my early 20’s and my route was, new york - niagra - Orlando- Miami- key west - New Orleans - vegas- San Francisco- Los Angeles. I absolutely loved it it was my 1st taste of America as my parents wouldn’t fly that length when I was younger and like you it was from tv programmes that made me desperate to go the steam coming out the sidewalks was huge for me in New York, I traveled with a friend and we stayed in hostels apart from vegas where we had enough money for a hotel for a few nights, I can honestly say this was probably one of the happiest memories of my lifetime so far apart from family etc, what I would say is the places I regret not taking in are Chicago and San Diego, but whatever way you decide to go you will absolutely love it, I love the people and the way of life would stay in America if the chance ever arose.
Thanks - your trip sounds amazing! I'm think I'll love it anywhere i go... which makes it a bit tricky, but also really easy.
Old 30 June 2022, 07:10 PM   #8
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
In Boston you can see the exterior of the building used for Friends, the interior looks nothing like it since that was just a tv show. Same with Seinfeld.

My suggestion would be to decide specifically what you want to see and plan accordingly.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2022, 07:59 PM   #9
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD40 View Post
Thanks for the tips so far! They've been great!

So far I'm thinking of:

Chicago, San Fransisco - or going to Boston, Taking a train to NY and then Philadelphia - something like that.

But someone also mentioned Nashville, to see some more Cowboy USA :-P

What i want to do, is really just to see some famous sites and scenes from USA, take a subway, eat at a food truck, visit a diner, go to a classic American Bar... actually i think i just want it all - i don't think i really can get disappointed - but if someone knows a great trip to do, let me know!

Thanks for all your advice!
Manhattan is all you need, for everything you want.

Easy to check out Boston for a day or two as well, as it’s only a 4 hour car ride away.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2022, 08:23 PM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’d experience the west coast of the country for something different.

Fly to LA and drive the Pacific Coast Highway to San Francisco.

So much to see and do and the sights are breathtaking
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2022, 08:32 PM   #11
DD40
Banned

Thanks!! These tips are awesome!
Old 30 June 2022, 08:43 PM   #12
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
NYC, DC, Boston and Philadelphia are all close enough where you won’t spend all your time traveling but still get a diverse experience with a great mix of American History and pop culture. You really should try to take in a baseball game at one of the cities. Fenway in Boston being the unique park in the area, Yankees having the best team right now. A Broadway show in NYC and the Smithsonian and the Mall in DC and a cheesesteak in Philadelphia would round it out nicely.

Chicago is my favorite city and there great places out west too but with that short amount of time you don’t want to be spending most of it in airports waiting on delayed or canceled flights.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2022, 08:47 PM   #13
DD40
Banned

I think NYC, BOSTON and PHILADELPHIA is the winners right now - so taking a car or a train and visit those cities!

If there's any small/big things i just SHOULD visit - let me know! :-D
Old 30 June 2022, 08:52 PM   #14
Jay2101
"TRF" Member

I grew up in Boston. Definitely worth a look if you're already in the northeast. One of the oldest cities in the US. If you're into history, you can check out the freedom trail which highlights a lot of key historical sites and events from the American revolution. If you'd like to experience baseball, which is the American pastime, see if you can get a ticket to a Red Sox game.
Jay2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2022, 09:18 PM   #15
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD40 View Post
I think NYC, BOSTON and PHILADELPHIA is the winners right now - so taking a car or a train and visit those cities!

If there's any small/big things i just SHOULD visit - let me know! :-D
There’s a travel guide called a 1,000 places to see before you die. My wife takes that book everywhere. Every time we go to a city that has a place that is referenced in that book we check it out, especially if it’s a restaurant. Hasn’t disappointed us yet and can be a pretty good place to start getting ideas for those three. Of course google works too I guess.

In Philadelphia you can run the steps that Rocky ran. If you love American Movies than that is a must.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2022, 09:21 PM   #16
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

With the choices you already have been offered, you might consider a plan for this visit that incorporates open-jaw flights with a one-way car rental.

That way you arrive in one major international airport, explore that city for a couple of days, hit the road to a few others within a few days of driving, and along the way see the countryside, then depart from a different international airport.

Maybe?
Arrive NYC - visit 2 days (the melting pot)

Drive to DC - visit 2 days (Smithsonian?)

Drive/Explore Blue Ridge/Smoky Mountains - 2 days (the scenery)

Then visit Nashville - 2 days (Country Music - not Cowboys - because cowboys are in Texas)

Drive to ATL for departing flight home.

For future visits in subsequent Summers, consider a master plan for each year.
- The West/Rockies (some National Parks - some Hiking/Camping)
- The Pacific NW (and cruise to Alaska)
- New England (early Autumn)
- Las Vegas (if you like pizzazz)
- Key West (dive the reefs)
- California (the PCH, the cities, and the Sierras to Tahoe)
- Hawaiian Islands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2022, 09:26 PM   #17
DD40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
With the choices you already have been offered, you might consider a plan for this visit that incorporates open-jaw flights with a one-way car rental.

That way you arrive in one major international airport, explore that city for a couple of days, hit the road to a few others within a few days of driving, and along the way see the countryside, then depart from a different international airport.

Maybe?

Then visit Nashville - 2 days (Country Music - not Cowboys - because cowboys are in Texas)

- Hawaiian Islands

Okay... this seems like a REALLY good plan! Thank you so much!
Wow - really appreciate it!!
Old 30 June 2022, 10:07 PM   #18
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Fly to Boston. Plenty of historical sites to see there, great restaurants, etc. You can also easily travel the coast north to Maine, which is beautiful. Or go into Southern MA and see cape cod, Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard. Newport RI and surrounding area is also beautiful. NYC is still accessible, it’s a 3 hour train ride, faster if you take the ACELA high speed train from Boston.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2022, 11:04 PM   #19
Redfoot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos FXD!!!
+1 for Boston, I think that is a great starting point, as it has so much American history.

Shameless plug for northern Michigan in the summertime- we have some beautiful national forest, many miles of stunning freshwater shoreline and excellent rivers for fishing, kayaking and swimming. The resort towns will be busy though, not sure how lodging would work out without any reservations.
Redfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2022, 11:04 PM   #20
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
The US is quite large. Better to pick one certain area and do that than just skim over a whole bunch of things. The northeast trip Boston, NY, etc, is probably the best place to start, though I'd opt for DC over Philly. Niagara Falls in Buffalo is quite a sight and the Inner Harbor area in Baltimore is nice as well. With all this bouncing around, I'd consider booking a tour. They'll get you where you need to go and you won't have to waste your precious time figuring out all the logistics.
Old 30 June 2022, 11:14 PM   #21
JParm

Watch: Yes!
I'm biased - if there's one state that you can do it all and experience "America", I would say come over to California. The East Coast is great as well for city-hopping, but I think my state has it all, and the drives in-between are gorgeous.

Fly into SF for a day or two, head to Napa for some rolling hills and wine tasting, then drive down the Pacific Coast Highway to Santa Monica / Hollywood (skip the walk of fame but head to the Hollywood Hills and hike Griffith Park). Drive to Palm Springs next and spend a couple of days in hot paradise. End the trip with a quick flight to Vegas (maybe a pool party?) and a day-visit bus trip to the Grand Canyon, time permitting. This is all manageable in a 10-day timeframe, if you're quick about it!

Oh yeah - what's a thread without pictures! Some of these are old, but it follows the sequence above and encapsulates America...at least the west coast of it.

Old 30 June 2022, 11:28 PM   #22
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Before you decide you should know that NYC has a huge problem: it's addictive lol. There's just a handful of cities that I really love and visit whenever I can, Amsterdam being number one by far, I'll be in Vienna and Prague in a couple of months after numerous visits too etc, but whenever I plan a trip to the US, many cities come to mind and NYC ends up being my final choice again and again.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2022, 11:40 PM   #23
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
I'm biased - if there's one state that you can do it all and experience "America", I would say come over to California. The East Coast is great as well for city-hopping, but I think my state has it all, and the drives in-between are gorgeous.

Fly into SF for a day or two, head to Napa for some rolling hills and wine tasting, then drive down the Pacific Coast Highway to Santa Monica / Hollywood (skip the walk of fame but head to the Hollywood Hills and hike Griffith Park). Drive to Palm Springs next and spend a couple of days in hot paradise. End the trip with a quick flight to Vegas (maybe a pool party?) and a day-visit bus trip to the Grand Canyon, time permitting. This is all manageable in a 10-day timeframe, if you're quick about it!

Oh yeah - what's a thread without pictures! Some of these are old, but it follows the sequence of above and encapsulates America...at least the west coast of it.

I hope your pictures sway him
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2022, 11:43 PM   #24
JParm

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I hope your pictures sway him
I just realized you said the same thing that I did in your original response, Brian - just in opposite directions.

My Candian friend knows what's up!
Old 1 July 2022, 12:26 AM   #25
Brenngun

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-710 View Post
NYC, DC, Boston and Philadelphia are all close enough where you won’t spend all your time traveling but still get a diverse experience with a great mix of American History and pop culture. You really should try to take in a baseball game at one of the cities. Fenway in Boston being the unique park in the area, Yankees having the best team right now. A Broadway show in NYC and the Smithsonian and the Mall in DC and a cheesesteak in Philadelphia would round it out nicely.

Chicago is my favorite city and there great places out west too but with that short amount of time you don’t want to be spending most of it in airports waiting on delayed or canceled flights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

Maybe?

- Hawaiian Islands

You cant go wrong with either one of these plans. Both get you lots to see and do within your timeframe. Good luck and post your pics.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 12:31 AM   #26
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
Las Vegas?
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 12:38 AM   #27
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Be careful of mistaking TV shows in whatever location. Friends was filmed in LA and Seinfeld was filmed in New York.

A lot of shows were located supposedly in a certain city but they did a few exteriors there and the actual shows were done in studios in LA and some in NY.
Old 1 July 2022, 01:56 AM   #28
mbalmz

I grew up in Boston and love it, but if I'm being objective and you only have 7-10 days I'd probably skip it.

Personally I would do most of the trip in NYC and spend a couple days in Nashville.

Enjoy!
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 03:19 AM   #29
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
If I was going to that fabulous country I would start at Boston on the East Coast to specifically see the USS Constitution, a secondary reason would be to go to Fenway Park to sing Sweet Caroline on the 8th innings (My daughter went and told me it was fabulous).

I would then go to NYC to live a couple of days there to get in a Broadway show and Manhattan, my son works in Jersey city and the restaurants he frequents in NYC with his girlfriend are magnificent.

Next it would be to Philadelphia to walk (not run) up the "Rocky steps" and also see the Liberty Bell, also in Philly, I would also like to see Elfreth's Alley which is one of the oldest streets in America.

Because I love history, the highlight for me would be to walk the battlefield at Gettysburg. I just think it is a sacred place, the sense of heroism there of the fallen soldiers must be palpable.

I would then move on to Washington DC and take in the many and varied sights.

Cant you tell, I am a massive fan and admirer of America, I fear I have lost my son to her, I know he is very happy there.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 04:23 AM   #30
OYptL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Invicta
If you’re a drinker I’d say fly back to MIA and then hop a flight to Key West for a few days. After that I’d fly to New Orleans and enjoy a few days there. I’d finish it off by flying into SoCal and go to Pechanga in Temecula CA. There you go.
OYptL is offline   Reply With Quote