The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 May 2018, 08:37 AM   #1
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Jamaica AD Experience

So I am on a cruise and we stopped in Jamaica for the day. My girlfriend and I did tubing and Dunn river falls. I wore my Tag as I didn’t want to risk banging up my SubC Date.

On the way back to the ship I noticed the AD, and begged to stop in just to check it out. They had a decent selection of date adjusts, 3 black and gold two tone subs, and a black TT And white TT Daytona. I noticed the lady check out my watch and basically ignored me. I kindly asked if they had a blue or black skydweller or daytnaC (knowing well what the answer was).

The lady’s response was very blatantly no this is what we have. She was extremely rude and asked if I wanted to buy a Rolex.

Not like so really care they are a terrible AD, but was so surprised how I was treated, and I think it was because I was wearing a swim suit, tank, PFG hat and tag...lol

Their loss!
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 08:53 AM   #2
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Best thing about Jamaica is the entire island in your rear view mirror.

It was a rat hole first time I visited in 1990 and it hasn't improved since the last time in 2008.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 09:01 AM   #3
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba View Post

It was a rat hole first time I visited in 1990 and it hasn't improved since the last time in 2008.
no need for that and i disagree.

i agreee attitude of saleswoman is not acceptable.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 10:12 AM   #4
hugs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post

Old 23 May 2018, 10:59 AM   #5
Generation
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36 & BB58
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post
So I am on a cruise and we stopped in Jamaica for the day. My girlfriend and I did tubing and Dunn river falls. I wore my Tag as I didn’t want to risk banging up my SubC Date.

On the way back to the ship I noticed the AD, and begged to stop in just to check it out. They had a decent selection of date adjusts, 3 black and gold two tone subs, and a black TT And white TT Daytona. I noticed the lady check out my watch and basically ignored me. I kindly asked if they had a blue or black skydweller or daytnaC (knowing well what the answer was).

The lady’s response was very blatantly no this is what we have. She was extremely rude and asked if I wanted to buy a Rolex.

Not like so really care they are a terrible AD, but was so surprised how I was treated, and I think it was because I was wearing a swim suit, tank, PFG hat and tag...lol

Their loss!
Well, I hope you enjoyed Dunn's River Falls! Did you climb the waterfalls?

I went to Ocho Rios, Jamaica, with my family about a half a dozen times as a child.

I remember walking to the downtown of Ocho Rios from the resort and always passing a fine jewelry store with a Rolex sign in the window. That was my first real taste of Rolex, and I remember hoping that when I was older I would be able to afford one.

I used to float around on an inflatable raft and watch cruise ships coming and going near the resort. That's probably where your ship docked. Once a young father who rented a jet ski crashed into a pier on the other side of the beach. I still remember his family running across the beach, crying hysterically, as emergency crews arrived. I hope he made it.

Back to the original topic: Are you sure that was a Rolex AD you visited in Ocho Rios? It looks like the island only has three Rolex ADs, which are located in Montego Bay, Falmouth, and Kingston.
Generation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 12:06 PM   #6
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
It never ceases to amaze me how snooty some sales assistants can be.

When I'm in the office, court or a meeting or going out, whether it be to dinner with Mrs Van D or to a function of some sort, I dress properly. In my own time, I tend to be a bit of a scruff. As long as I'm clean and smell nice, I really don't care if I look like a sack of shit tied in the middle.

Anyhoo, it was February 2012 and Mrs Van D and me were in NY city before heading off on a cruise for her 10th birthday. We went into the Montblanc boutique, the one that's just off Fifth Avenue, and I was approached by a sales lady. She was tall, very elegant but had her nose so far up in the air that if she'd gone outside in the rain she'd have drowned. After appraising me and deciding I was obviously lost, she asked if there was anything she could help me with. I pointed to a set of cufflinks that had caught my eye and a Montblanc bracelet slid out from under the cuff of my (scruffy) motorcycle jacket. She clocked it immediately, complemented me on it, and then saw my MB wallet in my other hand. Next thing, she's all over me like a cheap suit.

I wish some of these guys wouldn't be so judgemental. They'd probably complete a lot more sales.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 12:48 PM   #7
kulak
"TRF" Member

I bought in grand cayman in my swim suit after spending the day on a boat and in the ocean. They treated me with respect and didn’t judge my horrible appearance. Walked out with a SubC LN.
kulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 12:50 PM   #8
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post

^This.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 09:12 PM   #9
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Perhaps Rolex should supply a sign for dealers in high tourist areas so said dealers can easily post in their window what they don't have in popular models. This way it saves the time of both salespeople and collectors. Guys ike us can walk by without stopping if the sign says:

No HULK
No PEPSI
No SS Skydweller

etc

Would save many of us time and effort while also reducing the annoyance of salespeople answering the same tourist question 20 times a day.

Added Bonus: On their telephone answering machine there can be an option to hear which popular / collector Rolex models are not in stock.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 09:23 PM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by etschell View Post

I agreee attitude of saleswoman is not acceptable.
x3
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 09:37 PM   #11
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how snooty some sales assistants can be.

When I'm in the office, court or a meeting or going out, whether it be to dinner with Mrs Van D or to a function of some sort, I dress properly. In my own time, I tend to be a bit of a scruff. As long as I'm clean and smell nice, I really don't care if I look like a sack of shit tied in the middle.

Anyhoo, it was February 2012 and Mrs Van D and me were in NY city before heading off on a cruise for her 10th birthday. We went into the Montblanc boutique, the one that's just off Fifth Avenue, and I was approached by a sales lady. She was tall, very elegant but had her nose so far up in the air that if she'd gone outside in the rain she'd have drowned. After appraising me and deciding I was obviously lost, she asked if there was anything she could help me with. I pointed to a set of cufflinks that had caught my eye and a Montblanc bracelet slid out from under the cuff of my (scruffy) motorcycle jacket. She clocked it immediately, complemented me on it, and then saw my MB wallet in my other hand. Next thing, she's all over me like a cheap suit.

I wish some of these guys wouldn't be so judgemental. They'd probably complete a lot more sales.
Nice story

It was your wife's 10th birthday?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 10:00 PM   #12
amg55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
“I shop here, you work here!”. That’s the line I heard or read somewhere and ever since, I’ve been waiting for the right moment to use it. :)
amg55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 10:31 PM   #13
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Nice story

My first thought was, Jerry Lee Lewis
Old 23 May 2018, 11:23 PM   #14
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Their loss!
How? You weren’t buying anything anyways

And yeah, as Generation stated, there’s no AD even in Ocho Rios. Too many Red Stripes?

Quote:

Some people might think that about Centerville, NV with a population of 2880 people. Difference is, they wouldn’t blatantly say such demeaning things on the forum. You do realize how insulting you sound if we had a Jamaican member here, right?

I for one, as well as many others, love Jamaica. Perhaps get outside the main tourist places and see the real culture and people.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 04:46 AM   #15
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

I was docked in Falmouth! And if they had either model of course I would have bought one!

We just did an excursion to Dunn rivers
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 05:17 AM   #16
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

When wife and i went to Jamaica, twice, we both had a great time. Alas, no fun watches i wanted. Imagine how often tourists come through asking for... let alone locals. Ah well, great weather and rum tho!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 08:42 AM   #17
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Nice story

Yep, 10th birthday. She's 29th February, Ed

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 08:44 AM   #18
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I would say his dress of shorts and Sandals might have added to the salesperson’s rude behavior but what else would they expect a tourist in Jamaica to be wearing?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 10:46 AM   #19
SeanotheDead
"TRF" Member

Jamaica AD Experience

Quote:

I was in Ocho Rios, Jamaica for my honeymoon in 2014. They had a Rolex AD literally outside the Couples resort we were staying at. I really wanted to go in but decided against it because when we first got married I was in between jobs and money was tight. The honeymoon was a gift from my Aunt who at the time literally had just won the lottery and promptly spent all she won. Beautiful place and wish we had spent more time there.

We had planned Dunn River Falls but unfortunately the day we scheduled to go my wife and I were very sick and we had mistakenly forgotten to pack waterproof shoes appropriate for the falls. The shoes in the gift shop were outrageously priced so we decided it best to skip it and sip adult beverages on the beach. We’ll be sure to visit that on our next trip.

I wouldn’t say the entire island is a rathole. There are definitely places on the island I would avoid but no matter where you travel there are always places to avoid. I lived in California for 25 years in one of the richest counties in America and there are still places even there I would avoid.

OP I’m sorry you were treated that way. My wife and I have much improved our financial situation since 2014. We both now have careers but we look very young and often we are mistreated by places of business because of that. We generally dress very nice and take pride in our outward appearance but despite that from time to time we will still be ignored or mistreated due to looking much younger than we actually are. The way I see it is if they don’t want to take the time to earn my business then I am happy spending my money elsewhere.

It’s funny how people will take one look at someone and make a particular judgment call about how much their net worth is. I work in Law Enforcement and was dispatched to someone calling on another person based on their appearance. The exact words the caller used was, “he doesn’t look like he belongs here.” The laughable thing was that the caller was another Patron not an employee or manager. Needless to say he was furious when I told the man there was nothing I could do as there was no criminal offense committed.

The person being accused of not belonging there owned a new 2018 Ford F-150 Limited 4WD Supercrew with all the upgrades registers in his name (minimum $65,000 USD). He also had a wallet full of cash, was wearing a Jaeger-LeCoulture watch. The caller called in because the other man looked like he was from Duck Dynasty. Turns out the man with the large beard was very wealthy and one of the partners who owned the high end property of businesses. Go figure!

Their loss for sure OP. But realistically if they hadn’t had what you wanted, which it seems like they didn’t - would you have bought anything anyways?
SeanotheDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 10:55 AM   #20
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:

Their loss!
A rude Jamaican? You don't say.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote