The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 6 January 2014, 03:13 PM   #31
Challenger Deep
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster
While i am happy with my Seamaster Chronograph i would like a Rolex Submariner or Explorere II more than the Omega i have. I am pleased and will not sell my Omega, but i would say that if you have been wanting the Submariner, then get it quickly while you have the money.

I only bought my Omega because i did not want to pass up a good opportunity on a good Swiss watch. For sure my next purchase will be a Rolex.
Challenger Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2014, 10:33 PM   #32
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanCi View Post
As much as I love Omega, I really don't like the SMP, and I would go Sub over that. It mimics the Sub, but if the sub is truly what you want... save up for it.

The SMP is a great bang for your buck piece though.
Yeah its a bit like the Sub's younger brother, so get the old boy!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2014, 12:28 PM   #33
zengolf

I had a similar dilemma. Fell in love with the Omega PO 600m then tried the Rolex Sub and liked it even more but in the end got a great deal on the PO and put the money I saved toward a Panerai. Don't miss the sub one bit. See many more people wearing Subs. Not many with the PO. Too many people wearing Rolex IMO. Not to mention the fakes!
zengolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2014, 03:35 PM   #34
aprasert
"TRF" Member

There's a reason everyone has a Sub (replica, genuine, or homage), it is a classic timepiece. Is it really worth twice the cost of a SMP or PO? Of course not. If you've been saving for the Sub get it and you won't have any regrets.
aprasert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2014, 09:11 PM   #35
Darlinboy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: :hctaW
Personally, I'd get a nice used 14060 Sub.

Don't be distracted by the fact that you can get the Seamaster new within your budget. You'll take a big hit on it if you decide to sell it or trade for a Sub later on. If you do decide to go with the Seamaster, buy a used one and avoid the depreciation cost!

Old 13 January 2014, 11:02 PM   #36
steveclocks
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex/JLC/panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDOC View Post
I love Omega Dearly...But Even I would advise that you get the Submariner...
You will regret it...and the Difference in price will ot make any difference 1 week after you've purchased it.

Furthermore, spending money on the SMP would put you further away from your goal...When it comes to something like this, you really can't inflect too much rational thought, because it is an emotional object...

You have to follow your heart...

Think about that price difference...then amortize that over the next 10-20-40 yrs of ownership....not as big of a deal..

If financially you can not afford the Submariner, the SMP will not fill that void...just save up.

If you truly loved the SMP... and were torn between the two, I would have no hesitation recommending the Seamaster - its a fab watch...but if you're asking if it would be an ok substitute for your sub..the answer is no...
R.J. my friend, I could put it any better way! I totally agree with your vision
steveclocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2014, 11:05 PM   #37
steveclocks
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex/JLC/panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclocks View Post
R.J. my friend, I could put it any better way! I totally agree with your vision
Seems like I am sleeping I want to say: I COULDN'T put it any better !!!! (I always have to correct myself these days-getting older I guess
steveclocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2014, 11:51 PM   #38
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
As many have said, Don't compromise, get what you want.
Old 14 January 2014, 12:00 AM   #39
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Definitely go for the Sub.
With $4,500 you should be able to get a 14060 or 16610 (for a few more bucks).
Good luck with the hunt!
Old 14 January 2014, 05:53 AM   #40
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdoukas View Post
Go vintage. Here's my 1967 SM300. There is also a non-date version that is identical to this without the date of course. Lastly, if you want something "functional" with the vintage look then you could go for an SM300 Watchco version. If you do go that route get the non-date version as the lume on the hands and lume on the dial are different and appear so VS. that of the lume on the non-date dial and hands. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse spelling, punctuation, and brevity.
Very nice!
vintagewaferthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2014, 06:52 AM   #41
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

I'm reading between the lines here. You've lusted after the Sub forever but now that you're close you're second guessing the cost. The Omega has entered the picture mainly to rationalize spending less money. But the Sub is what you truly want. Check the history and if needs service consider that in your budget. When the watch comes back from the RSC it'll look like a brand new watch.

If it makes you feel any better about the Sub, keep in mind that whatever you spend it's not like money down the drain. Unlike spending the funds on a vacation and being left with just a memory, the Sub will continue to have value. Not trying to put it in the category of a wise investment, but just making a point. If you spend $4,500 and buy a good example, you can enjoy it for years and get most of it back if you ever sell it. What small amount you might lose would probably be less than what you'd lose on the brand new Omega as soon as you walk out of the jewelry store with it.

Why settle now after working towards it for friggin' years?
Old 14 January 2014, 10:44 AM   #42
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclocks View Post
Seems like I am sleeping I want to say: I COULDN'T put it any better !!!! (I always have to correct myself these days-getting older I guess
maybe you're getting close...I can get a good price on a Breguet...
SUPERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2014, 10:17 PM   #43
cfw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King 5500
If u want a Rolex get the Rolex, unless of course u'd rather get something less mainstream, why not look at the Tudor Black Bay or Pelagos? Just my 10c worth :)
cfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2014, 01:47 AM   #44
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega

I got the Omega for 21st birthday and treated myself to a Sub C for my 30th.

In my opinion the sub feels more 'special'

It's certainly heavier.
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2014, 12:06 AM   #45
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
sir here is my honest opinion:

My SMP has served me well, and has been continously running for 10 years without a service or a hitch...it has sapphire anti-reflected coated which makes a hell of a difference in my opinion to how the blinding light reflects off the Sub crystal..its over-all quality is just as good, if not better, than any Sub...that is a given fact..the case finishing, lume, quality of a ten year old SMP sword hand is far superior to hollow link bracelet, shabby lume and blinding crystal Sub of ten years ago..add to this that the SMP sword hand you will get for LESS THAN half the price of the Sub of that era, and the decision is really easy..you are definitely buying a watch worth its price when you buy an SMP and you are definitely buying a bloated price piece when you buy a Rolex (although you can easily recover it on second hand sale so it is not so significant), these are just facts..both will serve you for a lifetime and look great.

BUT, all that said, these are all just facts...and in a luxury purchase facts have no place! aesthetics, pedigree,taste, second hand value, brand recognition, satisfaction of being recognized and knowing you own a famous piece are all factors that play a major role...you sound like someone who wants to hear facts and has a limited budget (who doesn't? :P) so will consider ground realities, hence I have laid out the facts as I see them, and as I have experienced them to be...but your purchase will have many other factors and you should consider your feelings, choices, desire too. Sub is highly desirable as a collector watch and good quality piece, but that doesnt mean it definitely is the only good quality piece, or the highest quality piece there is, for that matter.

special advice: PLEASE check both watches out in the metal..wear them, toy with them, play with the croens, the bracelets, only then make your purchase...it will go a long way.
I mean no offence to anyone but these are things how I have experienced them..everyone is free to agree or disagree..no bad intentions :)
warm regards,
Asad

p.s. just look at James picture above my post...this is a latest sub against a ten year old SMP..the SMP is just so much more sharper, the grey crystal reflection of sub is evident in this picture..no offence meant, but I like your SMP more James
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2014, 01:24 AM   #46
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
The bezel feel of the Rolex Sub is undeniably superior to Omega imho. Other than that, Omega is pretty much on point and frequently a better bang for your buck.
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2014, 01:37 PM   #47
Ru4scuba
"TRF" Member

Watch: Today's watch
I'm a huge fan of the SMP...it was my first "real" watch and will always be my favorite for sentimental value.

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/...ps58e6cf5d.jpg

That said, the Sub LV sings to me very strongly as well....BLUF either will suit you well, one is easier on the pocketbook, but both are amazing watches.

I concur with what was said by others...if you really want a Sub....get a Sub. If you're just in the market for a nice diving watch, then you can open your aperture a bit...but don't compromise just to save some bucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ru4scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2014, 05:26 PM   #48
brianrx74
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Remember you are on TRF...you shouldn't be surprised by most of the responses here. I did try on the SMP at Jared and it was very nice. After trying on a Sub at my AD, it was an easy choice. I purchased my pre-owned 14060M a few weeks later from a seller here and couldn't be happier.
brianrx74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2014, 09:01 PM   #49
Jeelan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanCi View Post
It mimics the Sub…

stretching it a bit here….

by that argument almost anything with round hour markers can be said to mimic a Sub…

There's no similarity between the SMP and a Sub - domed crystal vs flat crystal, no cyclops vs cyclops, matt dial with pattern vs gloss dial with no pattern, skeleton hands vs solid hands….

am i missing something??

Bias towards one brand or another aside - i wouldn't say one mimics the other.

cheers
Jeelan
Jeelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2014, 10:46 PM   #50
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls

SMP is very nice

Sub is a beauty

You just csn t go wrong to chose either

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2014, 01:30 AM   #51
zengolf

The Sub is a beautiful watch. No doubt. I struggled to decide between the PO and Sub for some time. Even looked into the used Rolex market but I did not find the discounts from reputable sources that great. In the end I new I wanted to add other watches to my collection so went with the PO and then several months later added a Panerai to the collection for a little more then I would have paid for a Sub at retail. (almost 2 for one in my mind) I may add a Sub someday but I see a lot of them around and that dissuades me a bit. In the end you got to decide what pieces you want and what compromises you have to make to get them. I suspect You will enjoy either one you get.
zengolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2014, 06:50 AM   #52
GeeRam
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, 16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by asadtiger View Post
sir here is my honest opinion:

My SMP has served me well, and has been continously running for 10 years without a service or a hitch...it has sapphire anti-reflected coated which makes a hell of a difference in my opinion to how the blinding light reflects off the Sub crystal..its over-all quality is just as good, if not better, than any Sub...that is a given fact..
I agree about the anti-reflective coating on the sword-hand SMP, it is easier on the eye (especially to my ageing eyes) and the lume and sword hands are easier to see than the lume and bulbs hands of my 16610 Sub. Being a Mil Sub fan (but never going to be able to own one) the sword hands & ease of reading was one of the reasons I bought the SMP.

However, I made the 'mistake' of buying the rarer 2231.50.00 titanium version and the light titanium construction means that the watch just couldn't cut it as a daily, the titanium just doesn't seem to have the shock absorbant qualities of s/s, and my SMP had to go back to Omega twice for repair in the first 18 months I owned it.
With the warranty soon to expire I didn't want to risk having to fork out a considerable sum to have the watch repaired on a regular basis in the future, so when the new Sub was announced in 2010 I tracked down one of the last 16610 in a London dealer and the Sub has been faultless and my daily wearer ever since.
Once a month I'll wear the Omega, but as much as I like the sword hands and face, I'm going to be selling it soon.

My 2231.50.00

Plus,
Tudor Black Bay 'Black Rose'
Tutima 1941 Fliegerchronograph 18ct
GeeRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2014, 05:20 AM   #53
SJG

Watch: 14060,16710,16753
I had a sub date, purchased new at an AD in 2001. Sold it in 2005 due to moving overseas and didn't think I wanted to sport a rolex there, I made a few hundred in the sale. Then in 2006 purchased a Seamaster GMT great white. Loved the watch. But I always missed my sub. Wished I kept my sub, 2013 bought a used no-date sub. I love my sub and seamaster. But I have to agree with a lot of people here...get the Sub!
SJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2014, 07:14 AM   #54
Mike_Templar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sncarney18 View Post
As a Rolex and Omega fan I will give you my thoughts. The Rolex Submariner is the legendary dive watch. It is the most copied watch in the world so most divers will have some similarities. The Seamaster 300M is a great watch; however, it still has a modified generic movement vs. an in house movement like the Sub. The Speedmaster line is what drove me to Omega in the first place, not the Seamaster. I have a feeling many will agree with me that Omega is seen as a chrono watch maker first and foremost.

You have stated that you wanted a Submariner for the past 10 years. IMHO I do not think the Seamaster 300m will cure a Rolex itch if that is what you long for. The Seamaster 300m will suffice if your goal is a good Swiss Made diver that doesn't break the bank. You will only end up selling the 300m at a loss if you buy new to eventually fund a Submariner down the road. Again just my opinion.
This.
Mike_Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2014, 02:00 PM   #55
nyyankees
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1216610
I think my opinion differs. You need to go with what you think you like. After many years of wearing many Rolex I just don't care anymore. The sub is nice but everyone has one. It's up to you and what you like. Your preferences might change as time goes on. In the end it's a watch so it's not a life and death situation.
nyyankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2014, 04:31 PM   #56
Chad072
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintmasterjon View Post
X2. My omega purchase did not appease my rolex craving. Ended up getting the rolex anyway,still ,no regrets. I have both now!
Ditto

Omega SMP 2254.50
Rolex Submariner 16610
Chad072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2014, 12:16 AM   #57
Shem
"TRF" Member

For whatever reason, I don't really "get" the appeal of the Sub. It's very popular here, of course, but it's never really done much for me. To be honest, the Seamaster 300m with the narrow bezel font (similar to the Sub font) doesn't do anything for me either. On the other hand, the Seamaster 300m with the ceramic bezel and the larger font, and the older style like the above post with the larger bezel font and sword hands, really appeal to me.

If I were looking for a Seamaster 300m on a budget, I'd get another (discontinued) 2055.80 with bond bracelet, electric blue dial, and polished bezel for under $2k. I've owned 2 of them in the past. If I could spend a bit more, I'd buy a used Seamaster 300m ceramic with black dial for under $3k. They're just great watches, if not quite the historical powerhouse that is the Sub.
Shem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2014, 12:43 AM   #58
Touring
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shem View Post
For whatever reason, I don't really "get" the appeal of the Sub. It's very popular here, of course, but it's never really done much for me. To be honest, the Seamaster 300m with the narrow bezel font (similar to the Sub font) doesn't do anything for me either. On the other hand, the Seamaster 300m with the ceramic bezel and the larger font, and the older style like the above post with the larger bezel font and sword hands, really appeal to me.
Agreed that the SMPc is nicer than the previous gen. I always found the wavy line son the dial to be a bit gimmicky.

However, I am not a big fan of the SMPc's bracelet or the He release valve, which are two pros for the Sub. Plus, you're stuck with a date complication on the SMPc whereas you have a no-date option with the Sub.
Touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2014, 06:53 AM   #59
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I have played this game many times...buy a watch to hold you over , or take the place of a more expensive watch that you really want. Doesn't work...those watches have all been sold. If you want a Rolex, nothing else will take that away. If you are hungry for chicken wings, chicken salad doesn't reduce the craving.
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2014, 09:19 AM   #60
bigflax925
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Panerai
I liked the Omega. Wore smaller than the size. I didn't like that.

I LOVE The Sub. Wears larger than it's size. I like that alot.

I see tons of real Omegas in the wild. I don't see alot of "real" Subs - mostly the wannabee Subs.

If you've lutsed after a Sub, try a pre-owned one. If it doesn't do it for you - flip it. You probably won't lose money.
bigflax925 is offline   Reply With Quote