The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 10 July 2009, 11:09 PM   #1
goodmake
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 2007 116234
1966 Rolex Tiffany & Co. Questions

New to Rolex Forums. Just a couple of questions regarding the attached. Who's the authority on Tiffany & Co. branded Rolex models? This one was received by my father-in-law when his brother died. It was given to the brother as a retirement gift in 1966. I thought all Rolex models had the serial number and model engraved at the 6 and 12 mark but this one doesn't. However this one apparently came with a leather band. Does Rolex still include the serial number in those locations when a leather band is used? Also the apparent gold is tarnished. Does that mean it's gold filled? There does not appear to be any gold hallmark on the case. No papers.

Thank you very much for any info. I do appreciate it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CullenRolex1.JPG (129.5 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg CullenRolex2.JPG (175.3 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg CullenRolex3.JPG (174.7 KB, 261 views)
goodmake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2009, 03:27 AM   #2
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
As far as I know, all T&C did to the watch was add their logo, nothing else....is it possible that the model number & serial have been worn off with wear? Take a loop and have a better look between the lugs. To me there looks be wear in the area that end links would sit.
Scott

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2009, 03:32 AM   #3
Dalton
TechXpert

Watch: 168000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
As far as I know, all T&C did to the watch was add their logo, nothing else....is it possible that the model number & serial have been worn off with wear? Take a loop and have a better look between the lugs. To me there looks be wear in the area that end links would sit.
Scott
My thoughts exactly. Gold cases will have worn numbers, so look closer. I have seen a few Tiffany fakes so dont be dissapointed if it is, though I hope it's real.
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2009, 03:48 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
You need to open the case-back and look inside..

In the 60's the inside would be stamped with the date of manufacture, and you can ensure it is a Rolex movement..

Unfortunately, if the serial and model numbers have been ground off, the value is somewhat diminished, as is the Tiffany dial if there is no sales receipt to confirm it's authenticity..

Still, it's a beautiful watch, well worth hanging onto..
Old 11 July 2009, 10:24 PM   #5
goodmake
"TRF" Member

A closer look is worth the effort THANKS

Thank you very much for suggesting a closer look. I took the watch out into the sun and used a magnifying glass. Sure enough the serial number is there. I'll check it against the other page. And at the top of the watch it says registered Design 160. There is possibly another "1" at the end of that. for, ie. 1601. So that's another piece of this puzzle.
Old 11 July 2009, 10:39 PM   #6
adam78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmake View Post
Thank you very much for suggesting a closer look. I took the watch out into the sun and used a magnifying glass. Sure enough the serial number is there. I'll check it against the other page. And at the top of the watch it says registered Design 160. There is possibly another "1" at the end of that. for, ie. 1601. So that's another piece of this puzzle.
Yep, 1601 is a plain-bezel Datejust. I you have the case back opened you will discover whether your watch is 14K or 18K.
Old 12 July 2009, 12:19 AM   #7
goodmake
"TRF" Member

Again, thanks to you guys for pointing me to looking closer.

But with the model number, is there a chance that is gold filled or gold plate. Or is this a stituation where Rolex only produced "solid" gold at 14 or 18K in 1966. The thing that I don't understand is that it is tarnishing on parts, including the bezel. You may be able to see it in the pictures. Now my in-laws live on the coast in RI, so everthing around here gets tarnished. But I just didn't think "solid" gold did that.

I will certainly suggest that my father-in-law have it opened.

Thanks again.

Kelsey
Old 12 July 2009, 02:09 AM   #8
goodmake
"TRF" Member

My last post might not have made it, so this post might sound familiar.

Thanks again. Can you tell me if for that model in 1966, Rolex only produced soild gold watches or also gold filled or plated watches? The concern that I have is that the watch has some tarnish on it. You can see it on the bezel and little elsewhere on the watch. I just thought that gold didn't tarnish, but possibly gold filled or plated might. But then the watch has been sitting for twenty years on a shelf in Rhode Island on the coast. Everything here is tarnished.

The watch will eventually make it to a watchmaker to have it opened.

Thanks,
Old 12 July 2009, 03:12 AM   #9
adam78
"TRF" Member

I've seen Date models that were gold shell or heavy plated, but never a Datejust. My bet is that it is solid gold. I've seen gold tarnish. Here is my 18K Patek 2484 (heirloom from my grandfather). N.B. the left side of the bezel and case:

I'll bet it will come off quickly with a jeweler's cloth.
Old 12 July 2009, 03:34 AM   #10
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam78 View Post
I've seen Date models that were gold shell or heavy plated, but never a Datejust. My bet is that it is solid gold. I've seen gold tarnish. Here is my 18K Patek 2484 (heirloom from my grandfather). N.B. the left side of the bezel and case:

I'll bet it will come off quickly with a jeweler's cloth.
Wow Adam, that's a beauty!
Scott

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2009, 01:59 PM   #11
Dalton
TechXpert

Watch: 168000
It's Solid in a sense but definitely not plated. Gold will tarnish and sometimes it will actually turn brown. A soft wheel, some rouge, and skillz should bring her back to her former glory.
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote