The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 November 2023, 06:52 AM   #1
Michael1968
Banned

Watch: UN,RolexTudor&more
Breitling disappointed me

Hi,
I just want to know what you guys think about new Breitling boxes. For me is a very big disappointment. Can you still get an good old box for more expensive gold Breitling? What are your thoughts about that video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lasZXyN-N5o
Michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2023, 02:49 AM   #2
shalako
"TRF" Member

I agree, the new box is an abomination, my Breitling Super Chronomat came in one, it is not at all practical either.
shalako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2023, 05:24 AM   #3
philhendrix
"TRF" Member

That's them trying to be woke but probably just cutting costs where they can. I also don't like how Kern speaks of these new boxes so highly.
philhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2023, 07:11 AM   #4
Argo98
"TRF" Member

I have 5 breitlings. 2 with the new boxes and three with the previous ones and I 100% prefer the new ones. Much more practical for storage and the inner case is the perfect travel case. From then on, whoever wants to get a Breitling with the previous box, can simply ask for it and get it.
Argo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 12:42 AM   #5
alllexandru
2024 Pledge Member

Watch boxes are overrated, we all know that most of them are sitting collecting dust, however we all like nice boxes and opening first time your acquisition especially when you pay 8-10k for a watch.

That box is ugly.That is.
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 03:35 AM   #6
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

Agreed. Although all our boxes are collecting dust and taking up space, that box is terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2023, 11:18 PM   #7
Michael1968
Banned

Maybe in the near future Breitling will upgrade their boxes. I’m keeping fingers crossed for Breitling box designer
Old 15 November 2023, 04:41 AM   #8
Argo98
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1968 View Post
Maybe in the near future Breitling will upgrade their boxes. I’m keeping fingers crossed for Breitling box designer
Breitling, as Mr. Kern says, is a watch manufacturer and not a box manufacturer. 😀
Anyone who wants, can ask for their watch to come with the old box style.
Old 15 November 2023, 05:09 AM   #9
Michael1968
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo98 View Post
Breitling, as Mr. Kern says, is a watch manufacturer and not a box manufacturer. 😀
Anyone who wants, can ask for their watch to come with the old box style.
Really??? Can I ask for the older box ? Do I have to pay extra for older box?
Old 16 November 2023, 04:30 AM   #10
Argo98
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Really??? Can I ask for the older box ? Do I have to pay extra for older box?
As far as I know yes. This was their plan and I don't know if anything has changed. Because the purpose of the new boxes is the sustainability , they simply asked for the old boxes if you want to give a symbolic amount that will go to some ecological organization.
But I am going to say it again,this was the plan when the new boxes were released. I don't know if anything has changed.
Old 16 November 2023, 04:36 AM   #11
Michael1968
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo98 View Post
As far as I know yes. This was their plan and I don't know if anything has changed. Because the purpose of the new boxes is the sustainability , they simply asked for the old boxes if you want to give a symbolic amount that will go to some ecological organization.
But I am going to say it again,this was the plan when the new boxes were released. I don't know if anything has changed.
Thank you so much
Old 16 November 2023, 04:37 AM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’d love to see pictures of the old and the new box.

Thanks
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2023, 06:31 AM   #13
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
This is why for all of the pre-owned Breitling watches in my collection, they were purchased without the box or papers. The papers from the mid 2000s are Citizen level quality and degrade. The box falls apart, which in all fairness other brands at that time suffered the same quality issues with packaging.

The newest box is a disgrace. I wouldn't even consider it a travel case. Before I bought my latest watch I was at a Breitling AD considering the new Chronomat 44 Chronograph. A watch with an MSRP in Canadian dollars of over $12,000.00 . The fact that it would come in that, with a folded "quick start guide" makes me glad I didn't get it.
RW16610 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2023, 06:45 AM   #14
Michael1968
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I’d love to see pictures of the old and the new box.

Thanks
Here you have video with comparison of the all Breitling boxes
Old 16 November 2023, 06:46 AM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Here you have video with comparison of the all Breitling boxes

brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2023, 06:52 AM   #16
Michael1968
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

Old 9 December 2023, 02:38 PM   #17
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
Just had the conversation with my AD…. Bought a gold Breitling and it came with the cheap cardboard box. My AD also sells Longines and showed me their box… wood and leather…. Much nicer than the Breitling box.

"Nothing is to too beautiful, nothing is too expensive" Ettore Bugatti.
MoosicPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2023, 02:56 PM   #18
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Breitling disappointed me

Breitling is on the path to the “who cares about a box?” watch culture.

But a massive fail unless it plans to lower prices to the Walmart Quartz Timex level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2023, 04:30 AM   #19
philhendrix
"TRF" Member

Absolutely, the box should not look cheap. Most people who can afford a luxury watch will find storage space for the box.
Old 12 December 2023, 06:55 AM   #20
Michael1968
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhendrix View Post
Absolutely, the box should not look cheap. Most people who can afford a luxury watch will find storage space for the box.
Agree
Old 22 December 2023, 08:35 AM   #21
magicwatch
"TRF" Member

I have an old and new. Just got the new one and was throw off by the quality of box. SA said it had to do with being minimalist and conservation.
magicwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2023, 11:07 PM   #22
Rbacs
"TRF" Member

I agree. It looks cheap but I do appreciate the smaller size from a storage perspective
Rbacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2024, 02:20 PM   #23
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I currently own two Breitlings, one with an older nice cardboard outer box and inner leather travel case, which I think is appropriate for the watch. The new one is something I would expect from a sub $1k microbrand, and they're putting nearly $10k steel watches in them. As with a lot of companies, Breitling is pretending to be environmentally friendly when they really just want to cut costs. For the average middle-class person who buys one or two nice watches, this is a blow, as the box is part of the luxury experience.

While I think the huge wooden box that Longines supplies with their heritage watches is a bit over-the-top in terms of size, I'd much rather have it than the new Breitling abomination. As with most things in life, I think a happy medium box of a smaller size and good quality would be nice.

Personally, my favorite watch boxes are the small but high quality European-made boxes of genuine leather and/or wood, as the synthetic material degrades within a decade. My favorite watch box is either my mid-2000s European-made wood with green felt interior Chronoswiss or my wife's modern Italian-made burlwood Breguet boxes. Unfortunately, those seem to be rare these days, even among high-end brands. Ultimately, I think cheap boxes devalue the brand.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 11:09 AM   #24
Archetype
"TRF" Member

I don't think that the position of not spending too much resources for a box is unjustifiable if it translates to better pricing for the end consumer HOWEVER I would want the manufacturer to explain their approach when doing so otherwise it feels inappropriate and as if they don't themselves respects their watches as they are happy to sell them in carton boxes where you might as well put a $15 chinese brand inside.
Archetype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 01:02 PM   #25
HiDive
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Seadweller50
The problem with new Breitling

I couldn't care less about the box. They go in the closet and are never seen again. What bothers me about the new Breitlings is that I do not like the look of the new Avenger and SuperOcean series.
HiDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 02:34 PM   #26
sakolander
"TRF" Member

Nice to have a nice box, BUT after you get the watch out, it just sits in the closet!!!
Now, Omega comes with a fantastic box.....but again, it just looks nice in the closet!
Only helps if you want to sell the watch....
sakolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 02:51 PM   #27
Yellowfury
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
That's them trying to be woke but probably just cutting costs where they can. I also don't like how Kern speaks of these new boxes so highly.
lol can you even define what you think woke is and why you think having sustainable packaging that we honestly just throw into the closet is a bad thing vs the alternative of creating additional waste in manufacturing?
Old 26 February 2024, 08:00 PM   #28
philhendrix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowfury View Post
lol can you even define what you think woke is and why you think having sustainable packaging that we honestly just throw into the closet is a bad thing vs the alternative of creating additional waste in manufacturing?
You are implying that a more luxurious box suitable for a USD 5,000 - 30,000 watch has to create "additional waste". Don't you think that a cheap box which no one cares to fold properly once it has been opened doesn't create as much waste if not more than a wooden box? Since when is a nice (perhaps piano finish) wooden box bad for our environment? Throw it away and I'm sure its a minimal environmental burden, perhaps it even has an after-life and will make someone happy who you gave it to. Breitling is cutting costs and increasing margins and the packaging is one of the places to achieve this - and its done in the name of "being green and environmentally friendly" which is shame on them anyways. I recommend listening to Kern's German interviews to learn more about this.
Old 26 February 2024, 10:35 PM   #29
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Quote:
You are implying that a more luxurious box suitable for a USD 5,000 - 30,000 watch has to create "additional waste". Don't you think that a cheap box which no one cares to fold properly once it has been opened doesn't create as much waste if not more than a wooden box? Since when is a nice (perhaps piano finish) wooden box bad for our environment? Throw it away and I'm sure its a minimal environmental burden, perhaps it even has an after-life and will make someone happy who you gave it to. Breitling is cutting costs and increasing margins and the packaging is one of the places to achieve this - and its done in the name of "being green and environmentally friendly" which is shame on them anyways. I recommend listening to Kern's German interviews to learn more about this.
You are not wrong.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2024, 02:01 AM   #30
Yellowfury
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Lmao I’m responding to the use of “woke” as some sort of pejorative buzzword. And yes, any and all watch boxes not made from recycled materials invariable create additional waste. All the watches sitting in my closet are evidence of that. I’d rather brands just give us watches in something we’ll actually use, such as a travel case. We can cut down on the unnecessary paper as well. My Omega silver snoopy box is nice but is unnecessarily big and the packaging it came in is large as a result.

Edit- I’ll add that the idea of being green isn’t just limited to recycling but other forms of waste as well. This is an area where cost saving aligns with a more environmentally conscious effort. Smaller, lighter packaging means smaller, lighter shipments. This leads to reduced fuel usage which in turn leads to a smaller carbon footprint. Companies want to reduce their expenditure in shipping, period. If they can accomplish that and also appear to be more environmentally friendly they will clearly do that since it’s easy kudos.

Honestly I don’t understand why people are so butthurt over green initiatives. Manmade climate change is real and this is an actual example of a company doing something different to mitigate that. We hear a lot about how our individual efforts are good but not likely to effect significant change. It’s the big corporations who can have the largest effect. Breitling isn’t an Apple by any means but if it works for them we could hopefully see positive repercussions throughout the watchmaking industry.

I intend to live at least another 50 years and my kids will live beyond that. I want to live in a still hospitable planet since it’s the only one we have.