The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 15 October 2019, 07:42 AM   #1
dkcollects
"TRF" Member

Icon3 Help Buying 5167 (rubber or ss band)

Hi All,
I'm an entrepreneur looking to start a collection as I grow my company. I've been looking for a light, sporty watch and landed on the Patek. Daytonas with rubber are too heavy for me. If I get the SS band on the 5167, I plan to change to rubber.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you can advise me on finding one to buy. All the US-based dealers I've talked to have said there's a long waiting list and that I need to be a long-standing client with multiple prior purchases. Do I go international with my search? Any ideas how to get one?

Thank you.
dkcollects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 07:56 AM   #2
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

If you are new to the brand, then at the current state of the industry, it is extremely unlikely you will be offered a 5167 from an AD any time soon, unless you get on a waiting list and wait for a couple of years. Another option is to bundle it along with some slow sellers like a Calatrava, Annual Calendar and World Time.

If you have the money and don't want to wait, just go pre-owned. I heard a story of someone paying $75K USD for a 5711/1A and for this gentleman, money was no object. I don't know exactly how much the 5167 goes for, but perhaps $35K USD is a good estimate at this time.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 08:53 AM   #3
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
You thought about an AP RO, can get those on rubber too and not years of waiting.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 09:28 AM   #4
dkcollects
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
You thought about an AP RO, can get those on rubber too and not years of waiting.
Thanks, I like the AP, but it's too heavy to be a daily watch... at least for me.
Old 15 October 2019, 09:30 AM   #5
dkcollects
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
If you are new to the brand, then at the current state of the industry, it is extremely unlikely you will be offered a 5167 from an AD any time soon, unless you get on a waiting list and wait for a couple of years. Another option is to bundle it along with some slow sellers like a Calatrava, Annual Calendar and World Time.

If you have the money and don't want to wait, just go pre-owned. I heard a story of someone paying $75K USD for a 5711/1A and for this gentleman, money was no object. I don't know exactly how much the 5167 goes for, but perhaps $35K USD is a good estimate at this time.
How do I find a dealer that will bundle with one of the slow sellers and sell me the 5167 at the same time? The dealers out here in LA (aka Beverly Hills) don't seem to play ball when I bring that idea up.

I'd be willing to go pre-owned if it made sense.

Do people on this forum "team up" ever? As in, I want a 5167 and someone else wants a "slow seller" so we strike a deal together. Or, maybe someone wants to offload their 5167 to me...
Old 15 October 2019, 09:50 AM   #6
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Buy one used on line unworn and in new condition. Prices softened a little lately so its a good time to get one. Otherwise, your wait years at an AD and make some purchases which far exceed the current premium.
The smart thing to do, to me, is buy something readily available at an AD from another brand which is similar to what you want.
PP could easily increase SS production, they choose not to. Give your money to a firm which actually wants to sell you something now at MSRP or better through an AD.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 10:03 AM   #7
dkcollects
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Buy one used on line unworn and in new condition. Prices softened a little lately so its a good time to get one. Otherwise, your wait years at an AD and make some purchases which far exceed the current premium.
The smart thing to do, to me, is buy something readily available at an AD from another brand which is similar to what you want.
PP could easily increase SS production, they choose not to. Give your money to a firm which actually wants to sell you something now at MSRP or better through an AD.
I appreciate the idea. Do you have any suggestions? I'm looking for a rubber-strap watch and something that's light. The Panerai has a light version of their watch but not a fan of the bulkiness. AP RO is nice but too heavy. Rolex is not the subtle look I want for everyday...I know, I sound picky...
Old 15 October 2019, 10:05 AM   #8
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
International AD's won't be any easier.

If I was in your shoes and it's the only watch/purchase you're interested in. A trusted seller is probably the reasonable option.

Times are tough for new enthusiast with a SS Patek on their mind.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 10:35 AM   #9
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

What about AP diver 15707CE...
Very light and the weight is only 138 grams.
rolexgiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 11:12 AM   #10
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I agree with what has been said. Your options are to buy a 5167 or 5167/1A on the secondary market and pay a premium. If you really want that watch, then that's probably your best route. On rubber it is extremely light and I often forget it is on my wrist. Many other watches come on rubber with easier availability. Other than the previosuly mentioned ROs, you could also consider a VC Overseas. But even with a heavier watch, I think you'd get used to the weight after awhile.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 11:17 PM   #11
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Send a PM to ocrolexguy. He is a dealer in LA and will help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkcollects View Post
How do I find a dealer that will bundle with one of the slow sellers and sell me the 5167 at the same time? The dealers out here in LA (aka Beverly Hills) don't seem to play ball when I bring that idea up.

I'd be willing to go pre-owned if it made sense.

Do people on this forum "team up" ever? As in, I want a 5167 and someone else wants a "slow seller" so we strike a deal together. Or, maybe someone wants to offload their 5167 to me...
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2019, 11:23 PM   #12
Mandy01
Banned

Watch: 126333, 114060
Quote:
Hi All,
I'm an entrepreneur looking to start a collection as I grow my company. I've been looking for a light, sporty watch and landed on the Patek. Daytonas with rubber are too heavy for me. If I get the SS band on the 5167, I plan to change to rubber.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you can advise me on finding one to buy. All the US-based dealers I've talked to have said there's a long waiting list and that I need to be a long-standing client with multiple prior purchases. Do I go international with my search? Any ideas how to get one?

Thank you.
Have you tried the Vacheron Constantin overseas, is a beautiful piece, it comes with 3 bracelets(rubber, ss and leather) included in the price, and if one of the PP boutiques offer it . You can start with that great piece that also holds value by the way and then build the relationship and go for the Aquanat
Mandy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 10:54 AM   #13
dkcollects
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy01 View Post
Have you tried the Vacheron Constantin overseas, is a beautiful piece, it comes with 3 bracelets(rubber, ss and leather) included in the price, and if one of the PP boutiques offer it . You can start with that great piece that also holds value by the way and then build the relationship and go for the Aquanat
I like the Overseas. Not a bad rubber strap watch. Also considering JLC Polaris - thoughts on it? Any other ideas? Would be appreciated
Old 16 October 2019, 03:33 PM   #14
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Not sure how you going to get the Aquanaut 5167.....

But one thing for sure......

From what you describe your preference......

Aquanaut 5167 or Bust....

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 11:12 PM   #15
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS View Post
Not sure how you going to get the Aquanaut 5167.....

But one thing for sure......

From what you describe your preference......

Aquanaut 5167 or Bust....

I agree... don’t settle
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 11:20 PM   #16
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
I agree... don’t settle
You settled at 3 5711.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 11:52 PM   #17
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
You settled at 3 5711.
Lol. Silly guy... I still have bigger wrist than u.
Old 8 December 2019, 05:45 AM   #18
dkcollects
"TRF" Member

Hi All,
It took me a month but i found an AD in a different state to sell me a 5167. It just came in. He took a pic of the watch and the blank warranty with the movement #, name of his shop, etc. He wants me to wire the funds and he will ship. Does all this sound legit to you? Anything I can/should do to ensure it all goes smoothly?
Old 8 December 2019, 07:28 AM   #19
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Hi All,
It took me a month but i found an AD in a different state to sell me a 5167. It just came in. He took a pic of the watch and the blank warranty with the movement #, name of his shop, etc. He wants me to wire the funds and he will ship. Does all this sound legit to you? Anything I can/should do to ensure it all goes smoothly?
If it is a legit PP AD and listed on their website and you call their number and its him; pretty sure it sounds legit to me.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 09:55 AM   #20
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
If it is a legit PP AD and listed on their website and you call their number and its him; pretty sure it sounds legit to me.
Surprised as a new client they are willing to take a wire for a watch that sells itself. I smell fish
Old 8 December 2019, 11:50 AM   #21
MikeMike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi All,
It maybe be all legit, but by damn does it smell fishy fishy. Even if it is an AD listed on Patek’s website I would travel and pick the watch up in person. You have to ask yourself why is this AD being so nice to you selling you a hot watch when the store undoubtedly has a long wait list for the watch.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 08:07 AM   #22
lou in socal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi All,
That definitely smells very fishy. What’s the saying, “if it walks like a fish, quacks like fish, it’s a fish”
lou in socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 10:25 AM   #23
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou in socal View Post
That definitely smells very fishy. What’s the saying, “if it walks like a fish, quacks like fish, it’s a fish”
OP should do his due dilligence, ask to speak to Manager/owner. Call the AD, and if possible pay via credit card :)

Also in-person pickup would be great too
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 10:58 AM   #24
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
Not too fishy , I paid by wire for
my first PP from my current AD.
Was an out of state transaction.
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 03:51 PM   #25
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Play at Your Own Risk......

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 09:18 AM   #26
WWC
"TRF" Member

Play safe. People know how desperate the Patek crowd is. There are so many scammers out there waiting to make an easy buck cause they know some of us lack common sense when it comes to something we really want. That’s myself included.

Good luck!
Cosmograph DAYTONA 116520 | DEEPSEA 126660 | Explorer 214270 | GMT Master II BLRO 16710 | Submariner LV 16610 | Sky-Dweller 326139 | Prince Oysterdate 90630
WWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 12:35 PM   #27
Josh1000
Banned

If I was the AD I would wait till funds are cleared
Josh1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 08:45 PM   #28
Rushne
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: White 116500LN
Something seems very amiss here.
If at all possible I would travel to the AD to pick it up.

Omega: Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80.00
Rolex: Daytona White Dial 116500LN
Rolex: Sky-Dweller Blue Dial Jubilee 336934
Rolex: DateJust 36 Roman White Dial Oyster 126234
Rolex: OP 36 Celebration Dial 126000
Panerai: PAM 422
Patek Philippe: Aquanaut 5167A

@mechanicaltom
Stolen: IWC Portuguese 500107 Case number 3853222
Rushne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 11:39 PM   #29
Josh1000
Banned

I keep a float at my AD and he just debuts my account when watches come in. If he is a registered AD then no problem. Otherwise give him a credit card at least you covered for fraud. But the whole thread is odd. A request for help in october mentioning nobody will sell him a watch and then miraculously a dealer has one, is prepared to sell it to a complete stranger with no prior purchase history, is out of state and is prepared to ship a watch that probably has a queue around the block from local customers who would walk in and out in a jiffy. Mmmmmmm
Josh1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 12:25 AM   #30
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I agree. Something is not right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1000 View Post
I keep a float at my AD and he just debuts my account when watches come in. If he is a registered AD then no problem. Otherwise give him a credit card at least you covered for fraud. But the whole thread is odd. A request for help in october mentioning nobody will sell him a watch and then miraculously a dealer has one, is prepared to sell it to a complete stranger with no prior purchase history, is out of state and is prepared to ship a watch that probably has a queue around the block from local customers who would walk in and out in a jiffy. Mmmmmmm
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote