The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 6 November 2019, 03:33 AM   #1
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Tiffany Patek sales associates - Your honest opinion

Gentlemen and the few ladies,

I know that like Rolex, the hotness for Steel watches has created some less than desirable behavior from sales associates particularly with Rolex, AP, and Patek. I want to get the true scoop on the Tiffany Patek SAs.

In the end, while there is still a level of snobbery involved when dealing with 5 and 6 figure watches - clearly a sales associate doesn't want to "waste" his or her time tending to every Tom Dick or Harry that wants a 5711 without playing the "game". Should it result in somewhat celebrity status for those sales associates?

I've seen on instagram people jokingly on their knees or making grovelling motions. They say there is wisdom and truth in jokes. I quite frankly felt repulsed by the spectacle.

I have never desired a Tiffany Patek enough to play the game, however I wouldn't mind a single piece in my collection especially if the takeover rumors are true. Still debating on a vintage T stamped Rolex or a Patek. It would be a collector's piece and a piece of American history.

Who here has been less than pleased with their interactions with Tiffany-Patek SAs or have heard of behavior not befitting of Tiffany or Patek's customer service levels?

Who here has been very happy?

Am I better off going grey? I don't absolutely need a Nautilus or Aquanaut (god knows I have enough) - a T stamped Calatrava might be cool :)
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 04:02 AM   #2
PPcollector
"TRF" Member

The Tiffany Patek spigot of acquiring these sought after pieces has been turned down to a drip especially after last year’s auction sale of a T-stamp 5711. That particular watch was sold to someone whom was a known watch collector but instead of keeping the timepiece, it was on the auction block 3 months later. Basically the buyer probably immediately contacted the auction house to sell the watch...

https://www.phillips.com/detail/PATE...E/CH080218/131

Due to this behavior, it has become much more difficult to acquire the T stamped pieces. Those that are waiting and who wants one can thank that idiot who sold the 5711 last year...

Just my two cents...
PPcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 04:35 AM   #3
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

My honest opinion is that when you concentrate power into too few hands and don't offer competition (as regular ADs have with non-stamped Pateks), the power sometimes gets to people. :)
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 04:37 AM   #4
martinr
"TRF" Member

Every time I’ve gone in the Beverly Hills or San Francisco Tiffany stores to look at Patek I’ve been treated well. I haven’t bought anything and couldn’t care less about the T stamp. But the salespeople have been polite and friendly and happy to talk watches.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 04:54 AM   #5
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Also, Tiffany needs to get over it with respect to that auction.

That's just one guy.

If Rolex made a big deal about all the people who flip their SS Daytonas, none of us would ever have SS Daytonas in their collections. :) And I'm quite fond of my black and white ones.
Old 6 November 2019, 05:10 AM   #6
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

The Tiffany - Patek partnership may likely come to an end if LVMH’s acquisition of Tiffany goes through. LVMH owns Chaumet, TAG Heuer, Zenith, Bvlgari, Fred, and Hublot. Why would LVMH want to promote the watches of its competitor? I could see LVMH converting the Patek Salons to exclusive boutiques to sell limited edition, T-stamped versions of its own branded watches.

If it happens, there might be a slight reduction in sales associate snobbery when they’re suddenly hawking T-stamped Hublots.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 05:16 AM   #7
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPcollector View Post
The Tiffany Patek spigot of acquiring these sought after pieces has been turned down to a drip especially after last year’s auction sale of a T-stamp 5711. That particular watch was sold to someone whom was a known watch collector but instead of keeping the timepiece, it was on the auction block 3 months later. Basically the buyer probably immediately contacted the auction house to sell the watch...

https://www.phillips.com/detail/PATE...E/CH080218/131

Due to this behavior, it has become much more difficult to acquire the T stamped pieces. Those that are waiting and who wants one can thank that idiot who sold the 5711 last year...

Just my two cents...
I've seen greys with them. Can get one without the publicity.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 05:19 AM   #8
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
I've seen greys with them. Can get one without the publicity.
Yeah, seriously.

I also never understood why someone would auction a "new" modern watch that isn't limited edition. It's so boring to me to see those pop up at auctions.
Old 6 November 2019, 05:26 AM   #9
golfski
"TRF" Member

Watch: me whip & nay nay
I haven't had anything more than a couple initial conversations at two different Tiffany's, Beverly Hills and NYC.

In Beverley Hills, the SA was upfront but also very not very knowledgable about Patek watches. He did understand the economics of Patek watches, he went on to explain that if I wanted anything that was considered hot (5524G - I kid you not was in the same boat as a Nauti in that regard) that I would have to buy a watch in stock now, then maybe come back in 6 months and buy another - but I always risked someone coming in and dropping a 'million dollars' (his exact words) will move him/her up the line. I took this conversation that I am too poor to be shopping in Beverly Hills!

In NYC, I went in there, already a Patek owner and enquired more about strap options and eventually started talking watches. The SA, George, was a great guy to just sit and chat with - we covered all sorts of topics and he is definitely a guy that I would look to build a relationship with - even though in NYC I'm probably just as poor as I am in Beverly Hills.
golfski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 06:22 AM   #10
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

I, too, found it strange that they grouped the 5524G in with the Naut. I asked about this a while back, as well.

The 5524G plunges 15-20% in the pre-owned market (for actual sales, not for listings).
Old 6 November 2019, 06:37 AM   #11
B01fan
"TRF" Member

Maybe the T-stamped 5524G is harder to source, but the “regular” version can’t be all that rare. A number of greys have multiples in inventory...
B01fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 06:39 AM   #12
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
My AD in La Jolla tried to sell me a 5524 two months ago. But when I tried it on it was too big, but a cool watch and the wife liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I, too, found it strange that they grouped the 5524G in with the Naut. I asked about this a while back, as well.

The 5524G plunges 15-20% in the pre-owned market (for actual sales, not for listings).
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 06:41 AM   #13
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
My AD in La Jolla tried to sell me a 5524 two months ago. But when I tried it on it was too big, but a cool watch and the wife liked it.
Did you try on the ladies RG version for fit
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 06:50 AM   #14
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
They only had the one model. I would have tried the smaller one on but did not even know about it until later. I think Ninja or somebody had photos.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 07:10 AM   #15
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Piece of American history? Even if it happens, Tiffany will remain, likely the brand relationship will too. You know.... to sell more crap.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 07:47 AM   #16
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Ninja needs to weigh in on this topic.
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 08:06 AM   #17
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B01fan View Post
Maybe the T-stamped 5524G is harder to source, but the “regular” version can’t be all that rare. A number of greys have multiples in inventory...
Yes, but Tiffany, as an AD, receiving 5524G's does not have any more difficulty getting one than regular ADs. And Tiffany, as an AD, is treating it as if it's a Naut.
Old 6 November 2019, 08:47 AM   #18
martinr
"TRF" Member

Tiffany doesn’t T stamp every Patek it receives. Sometimes there isn’t room on the dial and some just aren’t stamped. But you get the blue box and a receipt lol.
Old 6 November 2019, 09:04 AM   #19
PPcollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Also, Tiffany needs to get over it with respect to that auction.

That's just one guy.

If Rolex made a big deal about all the people who flip their SS Daytonas, none of us would ever have SS Daytonas in their collections. :) And I'm quite fond of my black and white ones.
It’s just ONE guy who gets an allocation that has people with years on the waitlist. That GUY probably was given the “allocation” knowing that he would keep it. Alas, that ONE guy basically screwed everyone and anyone who wants a 5711 T-stamp. You do realize Tiffany doesn’t get tens of 5711s...unlike Rolex dealers. Rolex produces over 1 million watches...Patek only 60,000
Old 6 November 2019, 09:15 AM   #20
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Tiffany doesn’t T stamp every Patek it receives. Sometimes there isn’t room on the dial and some just aren’t stamped. But you get the blue box and a receipt lol.
To my knowledge, that's not true. They stamp everything regardless of space.

The *only* do not stamp complicated grand complications. They stamp perpetual calendars, but *stop* at perpetual calendar chronographs -- 5270 isn't stamped, 5320G is.
Old 6 November 2019, 09:15 AM   #21
turborolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That’s right...an example is the 5930

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6 November 2019, 09:16 AM   #22
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s just ONE guy who gets an allocation that has people with years on the waitlist. That GUY probably was given the “allocation” knowing that he would keep it. Alas, that ONE guy basically screwed everyone and anyone who wants a 5711 T-stamp. You do realize Tiffany doesn’t get tens of 5711s...unlike Rolex dealers. Rolex produces over 1 million watches...Patek only 60,000
Yes, I completely agree. That said, Tiffany gets more than one 5711/1A each year. They get a LOT more than one. Obviously not as many as Rolex ADs get Daytonas. :)
Old 6 November 2019, 09:16 AM   #23
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turborolex View Post
That’s right...an example is the 5930
Ah! Refuted my statement.

You are right. They don't stamp the 5930. It's a horrible dial to fit a stamp on, sadly. :(
Old 6 November 2019, 09:23 AM   #24
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ah! Refuted my statement.

You are right. They don't stamp the 5930. It's a horrible dial to fit a stamp on, sadly. :(
Go look at their display in Beverly Hills, you’ll see Calatrava dress watches without a stamp.
Old 6 November 2019, 09:32 AM   #25
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Go look at their display in Beverly Hills, you’ll see Calatrava dress watches without a stamp.
That's weird. I've always been told by the NYC Boutique that it's all but complicated Grand Complications.
Old 6 November 2019, 09:59 AM   #26
PPcollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, I completely agree. That said, Tiffany gets more than one 5711/1A each year. They get a LOT more than one. Obviously not as many as Rolex ADs get Daytonas. :)
I know for a fact A LOT more is less than a handful...so it really is not as many as you think. Whereas a Rolex AD mights receive 8x that number...
Old 6 November 2019, 10:15 AM   #27
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Who wants a crooked stamp anyways - hard pass on T. Sfo guy was nice to talk too though
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 10:44 AM   #28
dauster
"TRF" Member

the PP guy at tiffany's in SF seems to be a really cool guy (alexandre I think), really into watches and fun to talk to, always fun chatting with him every once in a while. Don't have the budget to really spend enough there to get anything I like but definitely a cool guy. I had much worse experiences with the unsophisticated and clueless regular staff that helps with the jewelry (SF only).
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 11:27 AM   #29
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I know for a fact A LOT more is less than a handful...so it really is not as many as you think. Whereas a Rolex AD mights receive 8x that number...
Apologies, I'm not articulating my point effectively (esp. with respect to my comparison to Rolex), and it's getting missed. :(

No worries.
Old 6 November 2019, 01:29 PM   #30
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

I’ve found them to be very knowledgeable and to be good stewards of the brand. Yes, it is significantly more difficult to get certain pieces, but patience pays off. I’ve always had a soft spot for the Tiffany brand, so I like the fact that I can merge two of my favorite brands on a watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UmichNJ is offline   Reply With Quote